/gg/ - guitar and bass general

Brazil edition.

Old thread: How do I start learning guitar?
>justinguitar.com
Suggested Practice Routine:
>i.imgur.com/yfgsTaq.png
Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitar-chords/
String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
>stringtensionpro.com/
Music theory:
>musictheory.net/lessons
Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
>mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/
Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar
Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg
Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EWxg4tE-QbM
guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/MG412A-4x12-120W-Angle-Guitar-Cabinet-113413551.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP
youtu.be/sOyw8HdG4c8
youtube.com/watch?v=cNQteXwNXFk
youtube.com/watch?v=Y_mEy7AVuD8
youtube.com/watch?v=F7eMDKJgxfM
ysw-tct.com/tct/default.asp?func=KIJI&kiji=20141229114253.asp
haloguitars.com/store/custom-guitars.html
mattsmusic.com/suhrgen/suhrgeneratorindex.html
strandbergguitars.com/configurator/
configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/
reddit.com/r/DesignAGuitar/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Fender frontman 65

why "Calle" keeps showing on the legacy captcha more than any other word

Good. You learned to count.

>77588428
>Brazil edition
Yep I'm out, fuck you Samuel. You have to ruin everything

you're a pussy.

do you guys practice every single day? what's you routine?

>having a single pickup guitar
just lmoa

warmup exercise:

youtube.com/watch?v=EWxg4tE-QbM

What’s the deal with Jazzmaster bridges? I’m ignorant about a ton of guitar stuff and wanted to know what the issue is, because I’m thinking about buying one at some point.

how do you comb your guitar hair? ive been splitting it on the middle and combing the center lane to the back

Been playing guitar for 8 years now, and I feel like I want to begin actually practicing more. I consider myself pretty good but nowhere near an expert player. In the beginning when I picked up guitar I practiced all the time but now I'm more into writing and improving by writing stuff that challenges me. However I'm finding now that as I improve my writing skills and explore more musically I'm starting to lack more behind in my technical skills in comparison. I get a lot of ideas that I can't play as I'd want to because I'm not technical enough. I want to start routinely practicing to improve consistently.

Anyone got any tips or routines that can be used to improve? What do you guys do to practice?

what's your style of music

my cheats include listening to different styles of music and mimicking the techniques and melodies

Right now I mostly listen to and write prog metal by myself, and I play in a melodic death metal band where I also write.

Interesting, i just joined a prog metal band. What's your rig?

Gibson Buckethead signature Les Paul -> Horizon Precision Drive -> Peavey 6505 (line 6 multi-FX in the effect loop for reverb + delay and some boost-EQ on leads)

Still need to buy a real cab, using a shitty Behringer 4x12 that a guy from the other band who rehearses there had and wasn't using so let me borrow it.

At home when I record it's just the guitar into Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 into Reaper and using Bias as amp-sim.

just order this used marshall

guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/MG412A-4x12-120W-Angle-Guitar-Cabinet-113413551.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP

Nice deal but I'm in Sweden

oh ok

Nice, I had a 6505+ for a while. How do you like the buckethead lp? Seeing him soon actually.

i want to mod my mars for a 6550/kt88 power tube

I want to mod brazil with an atom bomb

hello my dudes I need some counceling on a chorus/vibrato pedal. right now I have the julia and I'm interested in pic related but I hear it has too much compression and some units can be noisy. can anyone confirm and how good is the lofi junky chorus. I like all the demos of the vibrato but no one talks about its chorus capabilities.

I need help with a buzzing issue, for some reason on my Marshall mg15cfr I get a buzzing as though there is an issue with grounding, but it only appears on the overdrive channel. Should I worry or is it just the sound of the channel itself?

its ss piece of crap sell it and get a toobe one.

It's awesome. Plays great and sounds amazing (imo). It can do lots of different sounds since it has coil-splitting too. Killswitches are fun but don't get much use from me. Since it's oversize and increased scale length it can feel pretty weird to play "normal" guitars now that I'm so used to it, but I think it's good that I get forced to stretch more with it. Bought it in beginning of 2011 I think and haven't regretted it since.

kek u mad fuckup

They can rattle, especially the cheap ones with poor tolerances. Also the strings don't stay in the grooves if you play aggressively. A staytrem or mastery bridge fixes all of those problems.

>Brazil edition

youtu.be/sOyw8HdG4c8

That's a big guitar

>That's a cumotar
fixed that for you homie.

w-what

how do I find a psych rock band to play bass in

portmanteau of cum and guitar, are you new round here ?

>play bass in
Start your own or you're going to get shoved in the back corner.

I currently own the Champion 20 from Fender and I’m gonna buy this Champion 100.
I know most of you guys are fond of tube amps, but I’m wondering if some of you actually prefer solid states and why?

i like all amps. each one has a different texture.

>ss
disgusting

>do you guys practice every single day?
Yes
>what's you routine?
I may learn a few bars of a song every day until I complete it.
I'm proficient now with playing and technical stuff, so right now I just practice chord progressions, inversions, weird melodies, mode changes, etc. It usually involves writing a quick backing track myself and working over it afterwards.

Roland jc120 is a classic

I'm around 3 months into guitar playing. Would a pick like this be holding me back from achieving good picking speed? Should I be using something smaller and pointier, like a Jazz III?

No, are you trolling? I can't tell.
It's a good pick style and won't hold you back. It's all a matter of preference anyway, try many other picks with different thickness and styles and figure the one you like.

i can pick just as fast with a 53mm nylon pick

you can only have a clean channel with solid state
any valve amp is incapable of producing true clean tones

>Would a pick like this be holding me back
No don't worry about that stuff

>good picking speed
you shouldnt be concerned with that, you should focus on phrasing rithm and tempo.
So you dont end like jcum900.

Might as well get a jazz iii, it's the best shape. I recommend the ultex or carbon fiber max grips

youtube.com/watch?v=cNQteXwNXFk

Is she considered a good guitarist?

Solid state would be better for someone who prefers getting their dirt from their pedalboard and wants great clean tones from their amp. It's cheaper and lighter.

Not trolling just new to guitar and worried I won't reach my max picking speed potential. What about the way I hold the pick? I know it's supposed to be index and thumb, but I tend to use index thumb and middle finger. Pick feels more stable. Is this fine?

>max picking speed potential
God damn it roman

But i want to reach my true natty speed!

Seems pretty good but her vibrato needs work.

tube is better for cleans too

no problem. whatever works better for you.

have slighty off-tempo issues here and there.

Does anyone have a pdf of Hal leonards Guitar Method?

>tube is better for cleans too
It can be just as good in some cases but it's certainly not better.

To anyone who's better than me at music theory (literally anyone at all), how do you know when to throw in a chord variation into a chord progression that you have? Like if I had C - Em - G progression as a basic example, how would I know when it would be OK to add a Cadd9 in, or mix it up with a G5 or something similar? Is it just fucking around with it to see what's good?

>Is it just fucking around with it to see what's good?
This certainly works and there's nothing wrong with this.

it can not be "better" because its very architecture is incapable of producing clean sound when you increase its volume

trust your ears, grasshopper

My Squire Strat has an issue when being plugged into my amp; there is a very loud buzzing noise even when the guitar is not being played. It's an issue with the hole to insert the jack. If I fiddle around with it, I can find a sweet spot where there is no longer any buzzing, however it doesn't stay in place.
I opened it up and I don't see any issues with the wiring. The hole where the jack goes in is quite loose though, I think the issue has something to do with the jack touching something it's not supposed to, like another part of metal. Should I post an image or does anyone know how to fix it from what I've posted?

Sounds like a grounding issue.

grounding? tighten the jack first.

how do i achieve that home movies tone /gg/?

youtube.com/watch?v=Y_mEy7AVuD8

Bend the tab on the Jack forward so it's not loose anymore

Wrap a bit of tin foil around the first half of the plug, then put it in.

>very architecture is incapable of producing clean sound when you increase its volume
whats dumble ss
whats ceriatone SSS
whats a sebago texas flood
whats a morgan SW50
whats a fender frontman modified to accept 6L6
whats any 6L6 with a giant tranny

>whats any 6L6 with a giant tranny
tell us

headroom?

Got it gang, I'll just experiment with progressions I have and see how I can mix them up with alternative chords. Thanks!

go find a chord wheel

What do you feel works best for improving - trying to learn new songs and upping the difficulty of the songs you're learning or practicing routines just focused on different techniques etc. ?

marshall super lead plexi: both the rithmn and the solo.

can regular SS amps be modified to have preamp and poweramp tubes

i dont remember what it's like to improve

Some solid state sounds good, but most is made to be cheap and has a logo stamped to it.

While not as cheap, tube equipment is very simple and does most things right for guitarists. But it is getting a lot more affordable thanks to cheap parts and labor. If they could design out the transformers, the pt being more doable.

There need to be nuvistor amps. They're small tubes (size of a pencil eraser, lower plate voltage, similar characteristics as larger tubes).

why bother just buy an Atomic´s Amplifire.

to have diferent sounds

yeah with amplifire you will have a lot of sounds.

is that an ampsim

youtube.com/watch?v=F7eMDKJgxfM
which chords does it use to change the key?? (around 2:30)

what a dumb quetion

how?

You know what to do.

ysw-tct.com/tct/default.asp?func=KIJI&kiji=20141229114253.asp

haloguitars.com/store/custom-guitars.html

mattsmusic.com/suhrgen/suhrgeneratorindex.html

strandbergguitars.com/configurator/

configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/

Also, new subreddit that will never be used by anyone: reddit.com/r/DesignAGuitar/

>inb4 redditfag

I view all these chords as being derived from the C Major pitch collection [CDEFGAB]. If you extend those chords out to use every note of the pitch collection in each chord you get:

Cmaj13,
Em7b9b13, and
G13

Pic related: Notice how every note of the C Major Scale is used in the form of a chord.

Since G is the V of C, you can also alter the fuck out of it and use practically any other note (the black keys on the piano, since we're using C major) as well. So that would give you the b5, #5, b9, and #9. The only one to be careful with would be the natural 7, but you could use that as a passing tone in a line.

Anyway, I guess this is probably just confusing and not helpful.

should be a 30" scale but picking it desn't change the appearance on Halo's website

in before butthurt squier fags

note to self:
don't take off pickguard

It's a 35" scale

almost pointy enough

this is pretty cool but it needs regular frets and mini humbuckers or mustang style split coils

Not if you want it to sound good

I'm autistic and socially awkward. Me and my boyfriend just set up a room for his drum set and my guitars, and i think we play pretty well together. I'm 80% a rhythm player though and I'm considering asking one of his buddies to come jam with us once in awhile. How do I ask someone to more or less try out for our band? Seriously clueless right now. I'm a girl btw