Tfw folk will never be popular again in our lifetimes

>tfw folk will never be popular again in our lifetimes

But Ed Sheeran and James Bay are pretty big nowadays.

>tfw a plen user cared about what is popular around me

>pop folk
>any semblance of quality

But modern folk is shit and Nick Drake is a perfect example of shit modern folk.

You said folk being popular, not having quality.

Popularity ≠ quality

not folk retard

>shit

Yes, they are, retard. They mix pop sensibilities with folk instrumentation.

INB4 "m-muh traditionalist"

No. They are objectively folk.

>he thinks being sad and plucking a couple chords on an acoustic guitar makes you good
I bet you like NMH, too.

>They are objectively folk.
Oh, do they record and perform exclusively traditionals?

I don't want folk music to be fucking popular. Why the fuck would you want folk music to be commodified and sold as a commercial product? Why the fuck do you want capitalism to be part of music?

You do realize that folk music is made by the common folk, right? By definition, it's popular music.

If you're using an ancient definition of "popular". This is not first century Rome, dude.

>he doesn't know the differences between popular, folk and art music

I like Richard Dawson's music, I think we might see a small underground of weird folk artists like we did in the 90s/early 2000s

If we're not in first century Rome, then why do I see "plebeian" and "patrician" thrown around so nonchalantly?

Folk: traditional music of a country.
Popular: whatever the vast majority of a populace listens to.
Art: academic, normally studied by students of music to better understand the make-up of music.
Did I do good, pa?

>Did I do good, pa?
You got two out of three correct:
>Popular: whatever the vast majority of a populace listens to.
This is not exactly correct. Popular Music would be more commercial-oriented. This is very distinct by cultural music (folk) and academic music (art).

>folk will never be popular while nick drake is alive
>he died alone and unsuccessful

>you said
did I?

You're the OP, right?

>why do I see "plebeian" and "patrician" thrown around so nonchalantly?
Because people who post this shit on the internet unironically or unsarcastically are aloof, smug assholes who need to be punched in the jaw and taught when to shut the fuck up.

Spotted the pleb

See, I can tell that you mean this ironically.

Wasn't freak folk a thing ten years ago?

Correct, I do.

Why does it have to be popular?

Bob dylan is one of the worst folk revival artists desu

>tfw folk will never be GOOD again in our lifetimes

Yes and it was all very embarrassing and lame like most meme subcultures

Nick Drake isn't folk music, his work is very specific to him and I don't really see how it draws on the folk tradition either (like say a Fairport Convention or a Pentangle might in their original songs).
Paul Simon was a folk artist (e.g., Parsely, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme) but then he wasn't really, its to do with repertoire and style, not acoustic instruments alone.
This is not something people in countries with folk traditions get confused about, but sadly rootless Americans do and tend to shout louder and think they invented it in the 1960s. Which is ironic really, because Appallachian folk ballads ARE English folk music preserved by immigrants (and indeed, some rare tunes were rescued from US field recordings having been lost in their native land), they just don't know it.

Just dropping by to say this is the best folk musician to have lived.

no I'm not faggot

how do i get into?
listened to the blue one back when it was posted a lot and didn't take much from it

Yeah you are

I think bedroom folk has potential

Start with Summer Lawns or Hejira.
Then Court and Spark.
Then For the Roses
Then Ladies of the Canyon
Then the rest chronologically.

i like fleet foxes

Dubs checked.

It's all because of copyright laws. Beatles tunes will soon be old enough to be folk songs, but they're still copyright and will be for decades.