Gore in sci-fi

What happened? Modern sci-fi seems to be so clean and sanitised. I thought we'd gotten past the whole 'sci-fi is for kids and only kids' thing a few decades ago? Can't remember the last time I saw a mainstream sci-fi film that wasn't shy about blood and gore, maybe Starship Troopers? That one film with Jude Law and Forest Whitaker?

What properties would make for good 'adult' sci-fi? I'd love to see a Dead Space movie that isn't Event Horizon, or even a 40k one. I would watch the everloving shit out of a HH tv series, but nope we just get more of the same safe, bloodless, tasteless, bland claptrap. Anyone else feel the same way?

Other urls found in this thread:

watchanimemovie.com/sub-dub/genocyber.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Chappie was pretty violent. A lot of violence in movies these days is CGI though so that could be part of it.

Actually Hardcore Henry could be considered sci-fi and that was extremely over the top violent.

Less R-rated scifi. That's the reason.

District 9, Elysium and Chappie pretty violent

>What happened?

showgirls happened

A crap movie to be sure, but how would it fuck up sci-fi?

>What happened?

CGI blood effects. They ruin any scene they're in, like the Wilhelm scream.

Huh, haven't seen HH. Will give it a look. And yeah, Chappie and DS9 are definite exceptions that I'd forgotten about, Blomkamp a based. Still, seems like a definite trend that sci-fi in general doesn't have the teeth that it used to. CGI does play a part, but I think it's more of a cultural thing. Rise of the left in media, safe space politics, getting rid of 'offensive' stuff. Getting real sick of that shit.

That's an effect, not a cause. Why is it that there are less R-rated sci-fi films? What caused the shift?

but user, blood and gore IS for kids only. Real adults like science fiction that tackle the topics of ethics and philosophy, in which silly gross-out effects have no place.

>What caused the shift?
PG-13 sells more tickets since it doesn't shut out an entire moviegoing demographic.

HH is one of the most violent movies I've seen anytime recently. There are a few videos on Youtube from the various action scenes in it if you want to watch one or two.

Also the Riddick movies are pretty violent. The new one that they should be starting to work on soon has already been confirmed to be rated R again.

The movie in the OP literally does both pretty well. Also, you'd have a point if any modern sci-fi did tackle ethics and philosophy beyond 'HOOMINS A BAD!' or 'SCIENCE GOOD'

Dredd could be considered sci fi.

the answer to this is millennials. up until about 1996 movies were made for the baby boomers so they actually put more gore and sex in than some directors wanted because the target audience grew up in vietnam and saw blood in movies from when they were teenages like the godfather and the dirty dozen, etc.

and gen-x came and they had a lower population than the babyboomers, so studio execs didnt give a shit to appeal to them, but then you had the millenials, who were a huge population and loved all those violence and blood free movies like ET and the Goonies, so studio executives sort of shifted so that movies toned down on that stuff.

also in 1993 the Dems were in power, so much like the years 2009-2016 political correctness became a huge issue. So conrtoversial things like bad words, and whatever were cut out of films in fear of boycotts

finally the rise of blockbusters. because CGI wasn't really that well crafted until the early 90s the idea of just making a movie revolving around that really weren't a thing. then movies like jurassic park and independence day came out, so now you can have the old reliogous people, the baby boomer middle aged guys and the young ones all go see a movie and love it.

you can see this in the highest grossing films of each year. up until around 1996, the highest grossing films were majority r rated. not anymore

i recall these tv programs about special fxs and stunts in movies.

they always showed these little vessels full of fake blood inside shirts of guys that were going to be shot in the movies. they had little explosives each, and triggering cables so, they would make them explode (hence the signature "exploding bloody gun wound").

i miss that effect so much. and i fucking hate CGI blood. HATE IT. cheap pieces of shit.

Well that fucken sucks. What do to fix? Can't just gas all the millenials, they're TNG. How about this: R rated remakes of the old classics they love!

E.T. turns into a more Alien-y type film, The Goonies is about them evading a murderer. Next Jurassic Park movie could go really body-horror with merging human and dinosaur DNA. Heck, with the current trend of dystopic future fiction, you'd think that'd be a natural breeding ground for more extreme content.

I feel your pain my man, blood squibs are infinitely better than CGI.

>A crap movie to be sure, but how would it fuck up sci-fi?
It killed Verhoeven's career in the USA?

It's funny how, as more artistic pop films and genuine auteurs started disappearing from Hollywood, gore disappeared as well. Gore movies used be shat on by the arthouse world, but they were both about creative freedom and pushing the envelope. Arthouse and grindhouse are two sides of a same coin and both are dead these days. I can't stand all these soulless, manufactured, PC marketing products studios call movies these days.

The only thing I agree with in your post is the rise of CGI.

other than that your complaints about milennials just comes of mf as whining.

the Pg-13 rating as well as international casts exist so that films can reach as large as audiences as possible.

>Why is it that there are less R-rated sci-fi films?

On paper: you lose an entire demographic who could be allowed to see your movie

In reality: nothing, kids are gonna see it anyway.

Tarantino is the closest to grindhouse that gets made today and at least people on here hate him. There's the occasional movie like Black Dynamite that still come out but not that often. And art movies still exist too, just in (seemingly) smaller quantities.

>with the current trend of dystopic future fiction,

what trend dude. its the same tried and tested garbage they streamlined in the 90s. if its not le neon blade runner nip megacorporation setting, then its cold and clinical gattaca shit. or the tribal futuristic wise negro, ala cloud atlas or the matrix. you have these 3 settings, and nothing else gets considered or experimented on, just safe permutations and mergings.

scifi became boring as fuck, predictable and shit. it became a "genre", with its own laws rules and tropes, like vampire movies.

It was just Verhoeven. He knew how to film hyper violence.

Even anime had all these hyper-violent sci-fi OVA in the 80-90's, then they basically stopped being produced? I find anime boring but I really love the aesthetics those kind of OVA had.

Don't forget the MPAA and the cancer that is PG-13

anime is just following the market too, it's mostly sustained by weeaboo neckbeards nowadays. They might say they like this stuff, but in terms of viewership, that butt/breasts sport anime has been the most popular anime in most of the US on Crunchyroll

>Started with Bladerunner, still going today
Sounds like a trend to me. In all seriousness though, how would you fix this? I personally think film companies just need to stay the fuck out of messing with the film. Like, find a director who seem slike he actually wants to make a good film, make sure he's not a complete idiot and that you both have roughly the same idea of what kind of movie you want made, give them a swimming pool filled with money then let them do their own thing.

On a side note, what kind of films do you consider sci-fi? Would capeshit qualify?

>He hasn't seen the new Judge Dredd.

Literally no excuse at this point. By far one of the best sci-fi movies of the last 5 years. Near perfection.

Shame it bombed and there will never ever never be a sequel.

>CGI blood
>shit villain
>looked like cheap shit in a non ironic way

enjoyed it but, just no. not a classic. not perfect even.

Is Repo Men actually any good? Seemed to try too hard to be Verhoeven or Blade Runner but there are worse examples to rip off

THATS the movie I was thinking of! Yeah, it's pretty decent. The twist at the end got me the first time, definitely made me remember the film if not it's name. Also the end fight scene in the hallway is pure kino.

Captcha: select all the images that feel romantic. The fuck?

Often times the only difference between PG13 and a R rating is the amount of blood and gore they show.

Studios will make the changes and cut all the blood in order to increase the audience of their film.

So we have all these action movies where characters just fall down when they're shot. It kinda creates a fucked up reality for children, they never see how violent violence can be. There's little consequence for shooting or stabbing someone, they just fall down and go to sleep.

>how would you fix this?

you cant go back in time. its the zeitgeist, you would have to change everything, not just giving a director more artistic licenses.

have you seen old dudes that are so happy to watch cowboy movies? they sleep to that boring shit. thats their jam. our jam was laughing at the idea of the future going wrong. current zeitgeist is dumb optimism about globalism, you cant make fun of an OCP type conglomerate the way verhoeven did back then.

I hate PG13 for the fact that it's simply a washed out R rating.

However I remember certain movies that were a little too rough for pg but no where near asking for an R rating. It was always bulkshit when I couldn't go see a flick as a kid just because a character said Fuck one time

I've seen a lot of liveleak combat footage of people getting shot and there usually aren't huge gouts of blood spewing out of gunshot wounds most of the time.

Less blood might be part of it but PG-13 movies also just seem to have less impact overall. Not only in the action (which could depend on how it's filmed and not entirely on how much blood there is) but could be in language too. People in real life swear quite a bit and only being able to have 1 fuck in a movie can sometimes sound like characters are dancing around with how they speak.

people swear more in the movies than they do irl

guns are to this point the most boring and trite violence act. gunshots are like "eh, he got shot".

someone should show what happens when you get stabbed in the face several times, thats some messy shit. but people wont show that, because we have le olde pew pew meme that makes up for everything and you can even rate it PG.

Not in PG-13 movies. And I've heard some people irl swear more than generally happens in R rated movies.

>what is starship troopers

kino.

I advise anons to not view these webms unless you really know what you are getting into. Somehow, anime gore is much worse than live action or even real life gore. It took me a long time to get over that stuff when I watched in the 90s and even a little clip like this will affect you for days and weeks if you're not ready for it.

what the fuck? are you srs or kidding? there's literally nothing shocking about either of those webms? are you new here? i'm pretty sure you haven't watched anything in the 90s, hell, you probably weren't even born back then

>inarticulate shitposting and memespeak

keep going down that rabbit hole if want, it's your mind

watchanimemovie.com/sub-dub/genocyber.html

name literally one recent sci-fi with a philosophy that can be summed up as you described

The Martian
Elysium
DS9
Interstellar