Has Rouge One made Vader cool again?

Has Rouge One made Vader cool again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hjrWP7ysxAg
youtube.com/watch?v=AiHXZl3pqj8
youtu.be/jFVFi6hriAk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That one scene of Darth Vader slaughtering the rebels made him look more scary and intimidating than he ever did in any of the other movies

I haven't seen episodes 1-3, can I watch this and not be too lost?

Vader was always cool. It's Anakin people didn't like but since Vader always considered himself a different person from Anakin the PT didn't hurt him that much.

Ask Kate Beckinsale.
youtube.com/watch?v=hjrWP7ysxAg

what does vader in a vat entail? if he could be removed whats stopping vader now from having new armor? disregarding that emperor is a scumbag that want's him to suffer

>disregarding that emperor is a scumbag that want's him to suffer

But that IS the reason. Why do you think Sidious makes Vader live on the planet where Vader (thinks) he killed his wife and unborn child and got rekt by his father figure?

Emperor does not want Vader to suffer, he wants him to be the strongest he can be.

In order to do that Vader must give in to his rage and anger and to do that it makes sense for Vader to dwell at the place his dark urges would be strongest.

Vat tank was good but the lava castle and the room with the smoke machines was fucking retarded

>Emperor does not want Vader to suffer, he wants him to be the strongest he can be.

Wrong. The Emperor does not want Vader to become too powerful, otherwise Vader might usurp him. Why do you think he fitted him with such shitty prosthetics when General Grevious was basically superhuman.

The one scene where he kills everyone in a hallway not only gave him the much needed credibility as an intimidating figure in his own right, but it also made the force an actual fucking combat tool for once.

He picked dudes up, threw them around, choked them, took their weapons away as he just MARCHED DOWN THE HALL blocking blaster fire.
His slow lumbering crippled ass being turned into a meat grinder because of this mystical power that was beyond the physical matter of his being.

Basically, that 1.5 minutes of screen time did for Vader and the "force" what 6+ hours of prequel movies never could fucking do.

>Wrong. The Emperor does not want Vader to become too powerful

Literally wrong.

Yeah you're good as long as you've seen 4

>the lava castle and the room with the smoke machines was fucking retarded

I mean, yea, they were impractical, but they were also metal as fuck.
Darth Vader lives in a gothic space castle sitting atop a lava-waterfall, plus it's a green domicile, the lava supplied the power.

>Why do you think he fitted him with such shitty prosthetics when General Grevious was basically superhuman.

God I hate EU fanboys.

That's old canon. In the Disney canon Vader's suit makes him more powerful and his missing limbs mean jack shit to his force potential.

they've change the canon that much?

James Earl Jones' voice was disappointing.

Yes.

No, is talking out of his ass.

Which is strange because he sounded a lot better in Rebels.

youtube.com/watch?v=AiHXZl3pqj8

Darth Vader has always been cool. The true triumph of rogue one is taking the original Vader costume and showing people the true power of good design. Really the costume and set designers on the original star wars movies were incredible. Also they managed to make a campy name like "death star" sound really ground in context.

Better but still widely off. That first scene sounds like someone else entirely.

I felt rouge one made Vader look weak.

For one, he moved around way too much. Instead of the director walking up to Vader, Vader has to walk in to see the director and walk out. Usually, a figure of authority moves less and is more grounded. That's what made him seem so powerful in the originals.

I think that's why they added in the massacre scene to make Vader feel more evil.

Well, yeah. He's 85-years-old. There's no way he could sound the same as he did in his 30s.

the massacre scene raises his badassery though

I mean 50s.

Try reading new canon stuff you fucking idiot.

Krennick was pretty grounded when Vader put him on his knees.

I've been reading Marvel's Star Wars and Darth Vader comics so feel free to point where, exactly, this was said, faggot.

haven't seen anyone else mention this. Didn't the trailer for EA's Battlefront do the concept of "Vader advancing towards the viewer through a hallway of doomed rebel soldiers" first?

youtu.be/jFVFi6hriAk skip to the 22 seconds mark

now obviously this sequence is nowhere near as impressive as the one at the end of R1 (see webm) , but it was made a year and a half ago around the time R1 started filming. it definitely strikes me as a different take on the same concept, which was novel at the time, which leads me to believe that the sequence in R1 may have been inspired by the trailer for Battlefront.

very similar reactions from online audiences: Vader as a movie monster. incredible sense of helplessness if you run into him.

Meh, Jason and Michael Mayers have been doing this since the 70s. Rogue One and Battlefront didn't invent big scary guys walking slowly towards their victims.

Lords of the sith novel

>disregarding the fact the emperor is a scumbag who wants to make him suffer

EU/fanfic faggotry GTFO

I haven't read that but you're clearly wrong. If Vader's potential was still the same he would have been more powerful than Sidious by this point. Instead, he needs Luke to overthrow him.

How did the music during the massacre go? I think it was like HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

okay but... specifically Darth Vader

Loved it because after those two star destroyers crashed, took out the shields, the rebels getting the transmission and attempting to haul ass out of there Vader and Tarkin show up to show the rebels (and the viewers) the full might of the Empire.

I hope they make a movie like this that's set between each of the OT movies just so we can see more of rebels vs empire.

Darth Vader never had a "Oh fuck THATS why people are afraid of him!" moment that wasn't in a controlled environment/situation.
What I mean by that is that whenever we see him actually exerting his power on other normal people its always in an environment where he's already technically won.
When he chokes people in meetings he's already kind of the big authority figure there. Nobody is going to arrest him or try to stop him with more than just words.

When he's up against rebels and such he's never going in alone. He's always accompanied by like several star-ships full of troops. Basically, if Vader is there in your rebel base he's brought tons of his friends.

So the threat has never been SPECIFICALLY Vader for the good guys. More so about what his being around would represent. When Vader shows up he brings the might of the empire with him to back him up (as far as the OT goes).

Now? Now they've shown that Vader can and _IS_ the might of the empire in himself. Now there is a reason for an audience member that isn't 5 years old to connect with why the rebel alliance would be afraid of this one guy dressed in black.

It's just a classic trope they applied to him. Also, there were a couple of moments with Vader walking slowly towards Luke in ESB, so there's that.

Oh, my, my, this here Anakin guy

May be Vader some day later, now he's just a small fry

So have we decided if Rogue One is better or The Force Awakens?

I'm gonna say Rogue One on the basis of it not being a carbon copy designed to appeal to nostalgiafags.

I liked Rogue One slightly more.

I don't think this was ever in dispute.

Rogue One made TFA look like a fan film.

I particularly liked when he pinned that guy to the ceiling and then slashed him across the abdomen as he walked past.

Pretty great sequence.

It did some things better and some things worse, I don't think it's a clear victory either way.

To be honest it was a scene they could've easily fucked up beyond repair but I'm glad they went all out.

The entire third act was top tier actually.

I especially enjoyed how confused the imperials got when those explosions went off and how the rebels actually managed to deploy correctly with inferior numbers, confuse the enemy and infiltrate at the same time.
And we finally got a decent space battle with capital ships, Y-Wings doing bomb runs, X-Wings being the air cavalry basically and so on..

And it had a great mix of both the rebels and the imperials "winning" in the end.

Now I want to see the Empire bomb the shit out of Yavin 4.

Why did the rebels need to inform the boys in space about the transmission plan? Weren't the pilots already trying to take down the shield?

>the true power of good design
should have improved the suit design, and refilm the OT with if there were sperg demand.

this looks just fucking weak.

>TFA made TFA look like a fan film.

fixed that for you famalam

I liked TFA and don't mind it being a retread of ANH or the nostalgia overload, but for those reasons Rogue One is the better movie.

I mean, JJ Abrams worked fine for TFA and it's interesting to get thrust back into the Star Wars universe with little explanation as to what is going on, but now that's been done we need to move beyond that. I hope that Episode VIII succeeds in doing that as Rogue One has.

it doesn't, though
no more angles or zippers or belts or any other dumb shit teenagers think are cool could make Vader any more imposing than he is now with a box strapped to his chest. The simplicity is the important part.

can we trust Rian Johnson?

I would think so because he's not JJ Abrams. Everything that could be perceived as being wrong about TFA is because of him. I don't really blame him, that's just his style and I felt that for TFA it worked.

I honestly feel like Rogue One is a much, much better movie. yeah it had weak characters but a movie does not necessarily need strong characters to be good. I mean, Space Odyssey is a pretty good movie, right?

I did think R1 was legitimately good but, unlike most people, I do also think that TFA was legitimately bad. and I think more people are going to kind of up thinking that as time goes on, especially if 8 and 9 are competent films and people stop using the shitty prequels as their standard for how good TFA is.

TFA actually has a lot of Phantom Menace - tier holes and contradictions in plot, setting, characterization, character motivation, etc. in particular, I think the fact that the relative positions of the Last Order and the Republic are never explained (and probably wouldn't make sense even if they did try to explain them) is seriously going to bite the next few movies in the ass.

maybe, he made Brick
but he also made Looper
You'll have to look at more of the crew, though and follow if they've been putting in extensive edits

That's why it's great

One thing rouge one did good was having that pulp sci fi A E S T H E T I C that the original trilogy was built on. Not like the prequels or force awakens that look like a complete different universe

kubrick never made a good movie

Star Wars as an entire series is a bunch of movies that by design lean onto each other.

The only movie that can stand alone is ANH, but the rest are very episodic and especially the new ones just give you an equivalent of a tv show episode. They are just not strong enough on their own.

Rogue One though has Jyn's arc be finished by the end of the movie so it has that going for it.
TFA is literally full of stuff that is by design something that will either be explained "later" or you need to read some garbage tie-in to piece together.

okay fag whatever you say

>mfw Rey asks orange oompa loompa grandma alien how the fuck they found Anakin's lightsaber
>mfw Lupita Nyongo tells her "that story will be told another time [because we haven't written it yet]"

Sheev states that physically there's nothing wrong with him that the suit hasn't fixed. It's his fragile psyche that's keeping him from greatness.

He said that in an EU novel, which is non-canon now.

Nah, he looks like shit. The elements could have been used in a different scale and give him a more intimidating look. This is just shit, the head is too big for the body to give him a menacing presence, the shoulders are weak, the batman belt and the microwave on his torso are too exposed. This could have been done far better. Every Sith designed for Star Wars (including him other than in the mentioned movies) looks more menacing than Darth Vader, which looks like a carricature of a german soldier meets a jin-roh policeman, selling shit merchandise in lil-china.

The hack writers are having characters say all sorts of shit in the side materials because they're trying to one-up each other and redefine what the characters are about.

Regardless, that's just Sheev's opinion. It isn't a fact.

Now, Lucas' opinion is, or was at that point, and he said Vader's potential was effectively halved after Obi-Wan chopped his limbs off and burned him.

>. Every Sith designed for Star Wars (including him other than in the mentioned movies) looks more menacing than Darth Vader

All of the good ones are straight rip offs of Vader, though.

every time someone posts a video from this show I wonder how it's possible for an adult to enjoy it

His head is just too big making him look like an overgrown kid, that's all, and yes the costume is dated.

I liked both but I slightly prefer Rogue One. Probably because of the third act.

You can't be a true dark lord of the sith unless you've had your face fucked up so badly you cover it with a mask.

Rogue one is better. Although I rebel girl was supremely shit. Never sympathized with her cause other than her dsl. Hell I felt more sympathy to the robot and to the 2 chinks

5 seconds of Vader was better than all of Kylo Ren in TFA

As it should be.

Didn't Stormtroopers go in before Vader at the beginning of A New Hope?

I really loved that whole intro scene.

Too bad Krennic was wasted and so were his black troopers.
They did manage to kill off some rebels but were wiped out anyway.

>Galen?
>Admiral Krennic, I'm a farmer

Dr Death Star, I'm Empire.

why didn't they land nearer lol

why didn't they set their blasters on stun and grabbed him and his wife

Isn't that castle built where he got owned by whoever? I mean he killed all other Jedi and then Bult a castle where he almost died.

Not just Vader but Sheev as well with Sith Lords spamming lightning like crazy to occasional planet busters. One Sith character even created a supernova to escape from a battle in space. Disney cutting the EU fat was the best thing they did because despite some good EU material most of it was shit.

Lotsa loyalty for a good friend

Ikr. Fuckin trash for autists spergs or under 15's.

This exemplifies everything wrong with modern cinema, instead of resorting to subtleties like is talking about to make a character badass, they just slap in some cheap slaughter scenes. It's been done over and over and over again by hollywood that at this point it just makes me yawn.

>Dated
Nah. Love for the style.

There are people on this thread unironically claiming that Darth Vader has a bad costume design. Fuck me.

You do know why Rogue One exists right? It's so that Disney can get some utility out of the franchise's most iconic character. It's not Obi-wan. It's not Yoda. It's not Luke or Leia or chewie or even Han Solo. It's fucking Darth Vader. He's a cultural milestone all on his own and he improves almost everything he is in. (The final few minutes of ROTS are a notable exception).

I was pleasantly surprised by Rogue One, because for the most obvious cash grab in cinematic history, it was still pretty decent in action and effects... and Vader. Everything else is dreck.

I'm more

Absolutely, JJ doesn't understand space and logic and thinks he can put logic aside for storytelling reasons. While it might work for small children and idiots, most people would have a problem with being able to see the destruction of far away planets in the sky, especially since there's no need for it, han and rey could simply have been told about the destruction of the new Republic at some point. Does JJ think star wars is set in a single solar system? Also the way the starkiller weapon works is just retarded, a hyperspace beam weapon? How do you aim it to multiple systems at once? Why can you see the beam moving in real time when it's supposed to travel through hyperspace faster than light? Ugh. Most ridiculous thing in star wars so far, worse than ewok and blue elephant keyboardists

They're called DEATH Troopers,
Not STUN Troopers,
Jesus man, Get your shit together

defintely

WAIT A FUCKING SECOND

IS HIS GUN DISCHARGING SHELLS

I'VE NEVER NOTICED THAT BEFORE WHAT THE FUCK

>In the Disney canon Vader's suit makes him more powerful and his missing limbs mean jack shit to his force potential.
Source?

Because that directly contradicts what Lucas has said about it, he said he was forever wounded and could never grow to his original potential due to the injuries he sustained.

Yeah the props in the original movies worked and fired blanks.

It's pop sci fi calm down there buddy

In the originals Vader didnt feel threatening at all, with all those stiff slowass movements.

After seeing Rogue One I decided to rewatch everything and here's what i've found out

>The prequels are absolute shit apart from the few lightsaber fights

>The original trilogy is absolute shit and I was bored out of my fucking mind

I thank god for Force Awakens and Rogue One because all the previous movies are absolute garbage that you can enjoy only when you're so young you don't understand anything and just enjoy flashy lights