Assassin's Creed

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ciFTP_KRy4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ubisoft is in deep shit

Good. Shame on Fassbender for diminishing his prestige by appearing in a movie based on a fucking video game.

who thought this shit was a good idea lol

AC has one of the shittest dumbest stories in vidya

>$125 million budget
fuck, were they really so confident?

as opposed to a comic book?

Comics might not be high art, but they were at least art. Video games were never meant to be anything but shoot 'em up eye candy. Sure, there's a basic story/setup, but the player determines how it "unfolds" and so there's never truly any story or craftsmanship (beyond the visuals).

The movie was made for the fans and not the general audience

They made it as a glorified ad for the games, Ubisoft didn't care about profit.

a comic book is a storyboard, they translate very well to the screen.
games are interactive and have built-in contrivances to explain why you need to shoot a million guys as the story is told. trimming away the action for the screen leaves in those weird contrivances and logic loopholes

The problem is that you can't flesh out the AC plot in a movie and except your average movie goer to understand what's going on. The plot is too complicated and convoluted to explain briefly.

I don't think there's a major AC game due out for a few years, they realised everyone was sick of them after Syndicate.

Fassbender will survive. The idiot that approved making a vidya movie won't however.

star wars

Yeah, they successfully burnt out everyone. It makes things worst when they kept doing Europe/Anglo settings purely to reuse assets (they admitted to this in-game, by the way) instead of opting for settings like Egypt, Japan, China or WWII.

Why doesn't Hollywood ever learn?

VIDEOGAME MOVIES NEVER WORK

> Stopped in taco bell on 116th in Harlem.

> Retarded nig asks if I've seen Assassin's Creed.

> He signifies that it's amazing. 'Some real sword slashin'

> Say I liked star wars and he starts making fart noises with his mouth

> Says he say the first star wars in the theater. I know black don't crack but he doesn't look over 40

proves you can't vendor the fassbender.

I think I heard a rumour the next one is ancient Alexandria which is better at least, problem is they's have to go back to basics with the weapons, which people will probably hate.

>Aliens come to earth and accelerate the human's evolution from apes to humans
>Use them as slaves by controlling their minds with "Pieces of Eden"
>Eventually, The One's Who Came Before and humans breed together and create offspring that are immune to POE
>Adam and Eve are two of these humans and lead a rebellion against TOWCB
>A huge solar flare destroys most of humanity
>Most of humanity are gone
>From the ashes, Cain and Abel (the sons of Adam and Eve) fight over the POE and each one of them represent the Assassins and Templars
>Throughout history, the Assassins and Templars fight for the POE
>The Assassins represent freedom while the Templars believe the POE can control humanity and stop war and fighting via total control
>Using TOWCB's technology, the Templars can relieve their ancestor's memories via the Animus
>They use this to gather Pieces of Eden
>They use the Animus on Desmond Miles to get a POE his ancestor hid
>Eventually, he escapes and gets reduced by the Assassins
>One of TOWCB wants to be released from her prison so she can take over the world
>Another doomsday event is going to happen
>Said TOWCB offers the Earth's protection against said disaster if Desmond releases her and dies
>He does it
>She lives in cyber space
>The plot is stuck here now

So how do you condense that into a movie that your average movie goer can enjoy in 2 hours and 20 mins?

I'd love that, but normies won't.

I have a tiny bit of sympathy for the games as art crowd, but they've got massive egos and never seem to be able to figure out why when games go up against film on film's turf, film fucking crushes them into the dust.

The Last of Us was a better film than any blockbuster that year.

>never seem to be able to figure out why when games go up against film on film's turf, film fucking crushes them into the dust
That's because you can't condense most game plots into a 2 hour movie. For example, you couldn't make a good MGS film because the fact that it's a game and doesn't have to conform to a 2 hour limit is its strength.

I actually loved the crypto-history stuff from AC1 to Bro, then it went to shit.
>reading the tinfoil tier analysis of the glyphs in your cell at the end of AC1
>the puzzle mini games in AC2 with the historical stuff
>that Illuminati-tier modern templar lore in Bro

They barely even use it anymore and that's why my interest in the franchise dropped.

The only video game moviethat could work is Metal Gear Solid imo (I know there's more games but I feel like MGS is a safe choice). The only video game movie that I enjoyed was Resident Evil (I remember going to see Retribution and the showroom was empty,but still it's better than having a guy with tourrettes ruining the movie for you or have a bunch of kids screaming during the entire movie,because I shit you not,this movie was 12+ in my country)

Considering how deep and intricate MGS is, it really wouldn't unless they were spilt into multiple parts.

Yeah they really fucking screwed the pooch with AC3. It was set up pretty nicely after Brotherhood, as said I fucking loved reading and researching all the theories and shit.

They touched on some really cool fucking shit:

> Tunguska Event
> Philadelphia experiment
> Moon landing
> JFK assassination
> Supreme Court passing citizens united allowing the Templar's to buy elections

Then they went for the $$$. Haven't bought a game since AC3 and I'm fairly sure they abandoned the past storyline.

All the people who say "hurr I just wanna stab people" are dumbfuck 14 year olds with no appreciation of history/philosophy/politics who would be better suited to CoD. It appears Ubisoft catered to this fanbase.

Honestly at this point I think a vidya adaptation can only work if it's appealing on its own merits and not because DUDE VIDEO GAMES LMAO. If you don't give a rat's ass about AssCreed then you won't touch this movie with a ten-foot-pole, and even if you enjoy the games you'll probably still hesitate.

There needs to be a "gold standard" vidya adaptation with a competent director who shows everyone else how it's done. Whether or not that will happen is anyone's guess.

Ever since AC4, you've literately played as a faceless character that has no dialogue or anything. The present day sections are just walking around Abstergo's office in first person as a "game tester". I want more conspiracies and alternate history too, dude. It was why I loved the series so much. Try reading the comic books online or something, they're not bad. One goes into the Tunguska Event.

They were fucked the moment they killed Desmond, even Lucy. Even if they didn't know how to use Desmond anymore they should have kept him alive.

I did like AC:Rogue, dunno why but I always liked the Templars and it was fun playing as one.

Probably because that was the one game they went out of their comfort zone to a degree. It was nice to see the Templars get depth.

Thet Last of Us had a bigger budget than any blockbuster that year. And ever.

I wouldn't mind seeing something with Austria during the Habsburg dynasty. If we look at Europe they don't have much more options. They have the south and the north. They did the GB, and Spain and France and Italy. The only options left are Austria and Sweden.

>dumbfuck 14 year olds with no appreciation of history/philosophy/politics

Muh PHILOSOPHY
SO DeeP
SO COOL
SO SMRT

I AM SMrT fOr PLAying THesE GAmes
LOLOLOLOL I R SUPerioR Gmer

the people who play the video game won't watch the movie
the people who don't play the video game definitely won't watch it
it doesn't have a market to cater to

Not him but you know you're only making yourself look retarded, right?

Revolutionary Russia has potential I think. Though it might be seen as overly similar to Syndicate.

They decided to make a move at the lowest point of the franchise. People cared more about AC in 207 than they do now.

i hope you all reach the age soon where you grow out of this wanting an adaption thing.

Anyone that takes the retarded shit splattered script behind the assassins creed games seriously is a fucking moron.

The templars were the goodguys.
Fuck the hippie assassins

just like World of Warcraft.

> DURR i pOint Out the obvious
> LooK At Me I CAN REaD

>The Last of Us was a better film than any blockbuster that year.

back to v, pleb

Sad.

most people that play ass don't give a fuck about the story they just like sneaking up on people and killing them

anyone that gave a shit about the story saw the trailers and came the to conclusion that they ruined it with unnecessary changes.

>SADUUUuuurRRRRR

I wouldn't say it's dumb (the first one or two). It's just that it's meant to be played, not watched. A story like that makes for a really weak movie.

You pathetic manchildren need to fuck off. Take your fucking capeshit with you. Plebs.

>still playing video games in your 20s
lmao

>>>/reddit/

Russia during Ivan Grozny would be interesting, kind of similar to Count Vlad Tepeš in Transylvania

>using so many buzzwords

Make a game//movie aobut the first people. Use Ancient Aliens as your source material

> reuse assets

uh... I just assumed it was because it was to disconnect it to the original story and they considered playing an actual ninja to be too obvious.

But thinking about it that does sound right. The 2-D spin-offs went to China Russia and India.

Nobody in Sup Forums thinks the last of us was a particularly good movie or a particularly good videogame either though.

Fuck off, retard. Not my problem mommy never bought you a PS2, you sour grapes faggot.

You're so full of shit and you know it.

That'd be nice.

>Assassins Creed: WWI
>play as Gavrilo Princip
>realise it's Ubisoft
>Gavrilo is now a black trans gender fluid tyrannosaurs horse

>tfw you play as Mozart and you bully Salieri

I'd like to see that. The 2D side scroller doesn't count in my opinion.

I'd prefer no video game or anime live action adaptions. I don't want to it turn out like comic book movies.

They admit they do similar settings on purpose to reuse assets (and probably rush them out too) in Black Flag in an Abstergo email. It's sad.

Good one.

One of the Syndicate characters was trans. No idea if they were historically though. No one batted an eyelid though in-game.

youtube.com/watch?v=-ciFTP_KRy4

If it was historical

No, They were fairly irrelevant side character simply added because of the 'can't program women' backlash they got in unity.

There was a drag pirate in black flag, which was historically accurate.

By not trying to cram (how many games worth of story is that?) into a single movie.

How about this
>Desmond Miles is an apparent nobody, who lives in a shitty little apartment and works in a seedy little bar
>Suddenly, he gets kidnapped
>Wakes up in a futuristic looking bed room
>In comes Dr. Warren Vidic and his assistant, Lucy Stillman
>They explain to Desmond that they work for Abstergo Industries, who have created a device called "Animus" that allows them to tap into the genetic memory of people's ancestors
>They tell Desmond about an ancient group, called The Brotherhood of Assassins, who they equate to modern day terrorists and that they've been secretly commissioned by US Government to begin using the Animus, after they learnt that the Brotherhood still exist and are planning some sort of terrorist event, that has something to do with an ancient assassin named Altaïr
>They explain that Desmond is one of only a very small number of living people in the world, estimated to be about 7, to be descended from Altaïr
>They want Desmond to use the Animus, to learn about Altaïr, in the hopes of stopping whatever the Brotherhood has planned
>Desmond agrees and uses the Animus to relive Altaïr's life

>He learns about the conflict between the Brotherhood and the Order of the Templars, nothing to in-depth, just that the Brotherhood oppose the Templars and vice-versa
>When he's not in the Animus he talks with Lucy, revealing that he left home at 14, because his family were crazy isolationists
>As Desmond uses the Animus more, he begins to learn that the Templars wish to rule the world, through any means and the Assassins want to stop them
>When out of the Animus, he begins to notice things, like that the Abstergo guards look vaguely like Templar soldiers, culminating in Desmond realizing that the Abstergo company logo is actually the Templar's logo
>Desmond reaches the point in Altaïr life that Abstergo is interested in and learns that the Leader of the Assassins wanted to use something called "A Piece of Eden" to destroy the Templars and rule the world, which is apparently what the Templars want to do and is what the Assassins are sworn to stop
>Before the Templars/Abstergo cab use this information, a group of modern day Assassins burst in and free Desmond, revealing Lucy to be their mole
>The Leader then reveals himself to be Desmond's father, who tells his son "It's time I finally filled you in on our family history
>Role credits

Let all the other stuff, like the explanation of what the fuck a "Piece of Eden" is, or who these "One's Who Came Before" are, to the sequels, just like the games did.

>There was a drag pirate in black flag, which was historically accurate.
Anne Bonny oder Mary Reed?

Maybe a tv series would be better. Since you'd be technically splitting the cast between the two times and the interconnected plot of getting the macguffin but to do separate things. Also there can't really be any tension for the MC himself unless you pull a twist and have an episode with a sex scene then subtlely have the love interest never leave focus then have the MC leave the scene. Then while the audience won't realize what happened have them cut back to the Present/Future Timeline and have everyone panicking because they fucked up and they came in at the time he passed on his DNA therefore it's a dead end....though then the writers have to figure out where to go from there.

lmao!

This actually sounds cool user. Is this what the game was? I though it was just about stabbing people and hardkour parkour

i played assassins creed 2 about 55% and i watched the movie
i was disappointed the story was too short and nothing made sense
6/10

i agree

there's lots of important assassinations in the game and you have to find the glyphs on walls

>what is super mario bros

Black Flag is unironically one of my favorite games

not many people who played the games watched that did they?
I mean big bang theory referenced borrowing it from a defunct video rental store but i doubt thats really the case

Kinda.
I added the concept of Abstergo telling Desmond that the Assassins were terrorists and shit. Or at least I think I did. Its been a while since I played the game and I don't seem to recall that being there.
Also added the part about his father coming to his aid.

But otherwise, yeah that's kinda the gist of the games story.

>make vidya movie
>doesn't follow the vidya plot

The absolute madmen

As someone who really loved all the games:
Fucking this!
Ass Creed has a really stupid storyline. The technology itself is cool and interesting but where they went with it was fucking stupid. Should have left it vague

Having a smaller story that ties into the existing plot honestly makes more sense when you've got a big dumb convoluted mess of a story like AC.

You do realise that there are movies with plots that span over two hours?

Fassender is box office poison

or you could just curt down the original story and don't ty to cramp it into a single movie.
Just doing something different has already proven to not work.
You can rank vidya movies from best to worst and you will see its proportional to how similar to the game it is

>The Black Hand were an Assassin group who dindu nuffin
>Templars start WWI because lolevil

>make the majority of the movie the modern day shit no one cares about
>open against a Star Wars movie

whoops

>Assassins Creed has no lore meme

The organization that would later be known as the Templar Order was founded by Cain, whose 'mark' was later adopted as the Templars' crest. Despite their aims being aligned, a difference in ideology quickly led to the Templars becoming an archenemy of the Assassins, who, as opposed to the Templars, sought to allow the people to retain free will.

During the Achaemenid Dynasty of Iran, the Templars aided King Darius I when he overthrew the usurper of the Empire and became the king of Persia. The Templars continued to aid his son, Xerxes I, during his invasions of Greece.

The Templars' influence reached out to Macedonia, where they succeeded in allying themselves with Alexander the Great. As a symbol of their alliance, the Templars entrusted Alexander with one of the Staves of Eden, which helped Alexander to create one of the largest empires in history and become one of the most successful military commanders.However, Assassin interference resulted in Alexander's poisoning in 323 BCE, by the Babylonian Assassin Iltani.

During the later days of the Roman Republic, the Templars heavily influenced its ruling body, the Senate. Their intervention in Roman politics was continuously thwarted by the Assassins, however. A notable example of this was the plot against the Templar-backed general Gaius Julius Caesar, who was appointed dictator for life. Forty Assassins, most notably Marcus Junius Brutus and Gaius Cassius Longinus, planned to assassinate Caesar, a plan which they successfully executed on 15 March 44 BCE. In 30 BCE, the Templar-allied Queen of Egypt and former Caesar's lover, Cleopatra, was killed by the Assassin Amunet by use of a venomous snake.

thanks for that man

>fassbender still has all of his fingers
fucking
D R O P P E D

>but they were at least art

So are videogames.

>I know nothing about assassin's creed: the post

t. Reddit

Nah.

Videogames are art, get over it. Deflection doesn't work

I'm seeing it today.

you're totally gonna think its a 6/10 or even lower

>or you could just curt down the original story and don't ty to cramp it into a single movie.
What's the point of retelling the same exact story? A separate story that ties in is better for both fans and newcomers to the series.
>Just doing something different has already proven to not work.
Maybe that was because it was executed terribly.

Fassbender: Centurion, X-men, Assassin's Creed, a few soap opera movies.

Fassbender is like a sharp shooter who can shoot sky-high yet he chooses to shoot his own kneecap.

I don't even like video games, I haven't played one in years, but anything crafted with the intent to inspire emotion is art regardless of how good or childish it is. Not every video game tries to do that, but plenty of them do.

>the player determines how it "unfolds"
You could say the same about architecture, where you choose how to move through and experience a building. Or painting, where you decide which aspects and details you focus on; no two people look at a Bosch painting the exact same way. You could apply some version of this to most if not all types of art.

Video games still shouldn't be movies though.

Assassins Creed was based on Prince of Persia.
Prince of Persia movie flopped as well. Why wouldn't a similar idea flopp too?

You can still appear in crap as long as you make a few appearances in legit dramas now and then to keep that serious actor cred going. Shit, look at Christopher Walken, he'll appear in anything.

Except Walken never was a serious actor.