What was the point of him using a lightsaber if he isn't a Jedi?

What was the point of him using a lightsaber if he isn't a Jedi?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because if he didn't somebody would call it racist or some shit

I don't know, I did not finish the movie.

A few reasons:

1. Need to have as much lightsaber on screen as possible
2. Need to have an excuse for Finn holding a lightsaber on the cover
3. If you don't let him use a lightsaber, critics will talk about how problematic the movie was because it didn't show black children that they could be jedi kangz
4. It shows how brave of a character Finn is, he's willing to face near-certain death to do what he feels is right

nonhumans can use lightsabers too

You don't have to be a jedi to use a lightsaber. Remember General Grievous?

This is the only acceptable answer along with "who gives a shit, TFA was fucking garbage."

Traitor

Anyone can stand up and be a hero

They're just swords. Jedi only use them because it's more honorable than a gun.

That's why he needed to be saved by a white girl in the end.

It was to show off the power of the lightsaber but also show if you don't have the Force you'll probably end up getting fucked. Remember Finn got his ass stomped by traitor trooper and Kylo sliced his spine open.

1) To be misleading in the trailers and promotional material

2) To show that, when there's no other alternative, it'd be foolhardy to not use any available weapon

3)Maybe Fin is force sensitive. It at least leaves the door open for this to later be regarded as foreshadowing, if they decide to go that way.

the only part I don't get is why he would use it if he's not force sensitive like if I was in a war zone with lazers fucking shooting everywhere and explosions I wouldn't use a sword ive never wielded in my entire life and listen to some old wrinkily raisin bitch when shes all like "you have one"! id be like "yeah? why dont you come out here and fucking use it then? im a fucking stormtrooper"

Misdirection. They wanted to fool the audience into thinking Finn was going to be the Jedi, not Rey. It was supposed to be an "oh shit!" moment when she started using it. Problem is, everybody and their moms saw through that shit a mile away.

>It was supposed to be an "oh shit!" moment when she started using it.

Was it really? She's the main character, who on earth thought that she wasn't going to be using a lightsaber?

Grievous was trained by Dooku to use a light saber.

Grievous still wasn't a jedi.

Thats the vibe I got. There was no footage in any of the promotional material of her using it. I think maybe one of the action figures showed a picture of her holding one, but thats it

Grievous had a robot brain giving him supernatural reflexes and a robot body giving him supernatural strength/speed. It's not really the same thing.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with Finn using the lightsaber because he gets his ass kicked by a guy who actually knows what he's doing. You don't have to be a Jedi to use a lightsaber, just to use one effectively (block blasters, fight other Jedi/Sith).

He shouldn't able to deflect shots so why use it instead of blaster?

To build up to him becoming a Jedi to defeat Rey when she turns evil

niggaz in space

Most people argued you had to be a force user, which is where all the b.s about Han having latent force sensitivity arose.

This was JJ's way of making that not canon or great foreshadowing for future mace 2.0

Neither was Darth Maul.

Yes. Anyone can stand up and be a hero. Even a no name desert girl and a random storm trooper.

i really liked the movie but nostalgia fagging really pulled it down

just imagine they would just have used this insteaf of the millenium falcon, the movie would already be improved

instead JJ decided

>just waste this great design for a cheap joke and just destroy it LOL

>Grievous had a robot brain giving him supernatural reflexes and a robot body giving him supernatural strength/speed.
You don't need supernatural reflexes to use a fucking sword. That's all a lightsaber is.

Keeping it warm for Rey

You do need them to block shots or fight Jedi/Sith. Anyone can use a lightsaber (we see Han cut open an animal with one in episode 5), but if you don't have force powers or something that lets you mimic them then it's basically useless to you.

Plus, it's weightless, so it's hard to control without training.

I was triggered enough by the casting of a nigger in this movie that I refused to see it.

Now you're telling me they have this ape using a weapon as sophisticated as a lightsaber as well???

This is the last straw. Doesn't Disney realize HE'S A NIGGER???????

Did you just read the first line of my post, then respond without reading the second? You're basically repeating what I wrote.

>Grievous had a robot brain

No he didn't. He was a cyborg, not a robot.

>You do need them to block shots or fight Jedi/Sith.
And Finn gets wrecked when he tries that. So what's OP bitching about exactly?

because he was a sith? Fucking retarded niggers

And Grievous was trained by a Sith Lord.

Yes, he was a cyborg, but his brain had a bunch of implants in it allowing him to react and process information at a superhuman speed. That's how he was able to kill Jedi.

this was the "quadjumpah"?

> What was the point of him using a lightsaber if he isn't a Jedi?
to sell toys.
next question?

>He shouldn't able to deflect shots

He can. Blastbolts are nowhere near as fast as a bullet. Someone can fire at you from maybe 20 yards and it wouldn't be implausible for a regular person to dodge it if they got good enough reflexes.

>Grievous had a robot brain giving him supernatural reflexes and a robot body

Nope. His brain had no prostheses. He literally only had his limbs and muscle tissue replaced to enhance his performance.

Also, pic related was very much able to hold his own against two of the best swordsmen of the time without sensitivity to the Force.

The second part of your post was just repeating the same shit I already said. You don't need to be a jedi to use a lightsaber. End of story.

>Also, pic related was very much able to hold his own against two of the best swordsmen of the time without sensitivity to the Force.

Not canon

>Though a member of the Kaleesh species, his physical body is a fusion of a powerful robotic structure and an organic brain, nervous system and sensory organs.

Source?

>9gag
>FB

wew normies arrived

>evous had a robot brain giving him supernatural reflexes and a robot body giving him supernatural strength/speed.
And he was still shit, lol

"Cerebellum implants upgraded Grievous's coordination, fed him heuristic combat programming, and tampered with his emotions"

"Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Droids"

yes

He killed 5 or 6 Jedi on his own, so not completely shit.

When?

So your choices are staying inside, running across a battlefield empty handed, using a lightsaber.

In the original clone wars, where he ised terror tactics and raw power to demolish a group of 6 or so jedi. He killed 2, left one in a coma, trashed two more and was about to kill the last when clones interrupted

youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

He does it in the newer CGI clone wars too, so it's canon either way.

You mean in the non canon cartoon designed to sell toys? Yea, that doesn't count kid.

Grievous was always designed to be a bitch by Lucas. Which is why he is a weak ass bitch in RotS and in the 3D cartoon. Shit that George was directly involved in.

Non canon EU doesn't count.

>Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Droids
>Publication date: June 27, 2006

That's EU. Did you not know that Grievous willingly underwent his prosthesis for physical enhancement?

>Not canon
How? It comes from George Lucas.

Do you realize you're a baiting piece of shite?

>For years black men in cinema are portrayed submissive idiots made to make white men look better by comparison
>Disney comes in chanting about how progressive they are
>They do exactly the same as before but this time they further emasculate the blsck man by having him be second fiddle to a woman
>They tease his potential as a heroic lead, they have him lust after the white girl
>Only to further rob him of his dignity

He kills Jedi in the CGI cartoon too.

>For years black men in cinema are portrayed submissive idiots made to make white men look better by comparison

What movies have you been watching?

I don't recall him killing anyone on his own without 50 billion droids to help him. And he gets whooped by damn near everyone with a name too.

Marvel movies

To fool me into buying tickets to this trash

But it is canon.
Bitch.

>I don't recall him killing anyone on his own without 50 billion droids to help him

He killed that fish-looking Jedi on his own.

Did he have a name of was it a cartoon only generic jedi?

>2) To show that, when there's no other alternative, it'd be foolhardy to not use any available weapon

There were plenty of weapons around.

> 3)Maybe Fin is force sensitive. It at least leaves the door open for this to later be regarded as foreshadowing, if they decide to go that way.

I don't like how they are so heavy handed with the foreshadowing. Rey's origin story is begging to be revealed, as well as Finn's relationship with the Force. I really wish they were more subtle about this.

"Nadeb Var", but yeah, cartoon only.

>Did he have a name of was it a cartoon only generic jedi?

Nahdar Vebb, former apprentice to Kit Fisto.

>fish-looking Jedi
He's a cephalopod, actually.

Well it's better than nothing I guess. Still, George imagined him as pretty weak and cowardly, and it shows when he is involved in the medium.

I mean, Clone Wars cartoon Grievous was way cooler, no doubt.

>Still, George imagined him as pretty weak and cowardly

Cowardly, yes. Weak? no. Grievous was a powerhouse to anyone who wasn't a Jedi Master or someone of a comparable level of skill, like Anakin. Grievous tore right through the people like the Nightsisters and Mandalorians. He's even bested Asajj Ventress and Maul in combat. No, Grievous was not weak.

>wow he is really strong and against filler and irrelevant character too shitty to show up in a movie
Impressive.

The movie would have been vastly improved if they had just made little changes, not even to the plot, just to the aesthetics and overall feel to make it different from the OT.

>use new, different looking ship instead of millennium falcon
>make jakku a water planet instead of tatooine ripoff
>make maz's cantina less like the mos eisley cantina, maybe integrate some plantlife or make it more woody since it's on a forest planet
>use a more deviant stormtrooper design, and for that matter call the stormtroopers something different, maybe even use aliens
>different blaster designs
>different star destroyer designs
>just different design choices all around
Little things like that would have made it stand out from the originals.

dude lol you're so tough and cool and hip for not liking things haha xD

you should buy a fedora it's a cool hat I think u'd like it ;)

>implying current materials aren't equally valid compared to the movies

wew

They aren't. Non movie shit is irrelevant to the movies.

But haven't you heard user, too much new stuff reminds people of the prequels, which horrible. Old stuff reminds people of the old movies, which people like, which makes more money.

Characters and ships from "non movie shit" ended up in movies. See: Rogue One.

Stop being ass blasted.

Not according to Lucasfilm as of Aril 25, 2014, when George basically decreed that anything produced from that point hence was on equal standing of relevance to the films. That goes especially for The Clone Wars as George created it and was responsible for it's production.

I don't mind familiar planets and things like that. But they tried way too hard to retrace ANH's steps. So much that they couldn't explain any of the new shit that they added.

What the POINT was? To defend himself, I'd say. What kind of retarded question is this?

If you mean why he can use it kinda properly, then because the first order is a well trained bunch, much better than the empire ones. Because they are a lot smaller and can have better and more intense training like that.

>literally interchangeable background filler side characters with no impact on the story

Where is Ashoka? Isn't the fact that Anakin had a student Jedi that is alive during the Rebellion be important? Where is Darth Maul? I mean he is still alive, right? Where are the Rebels characters?

Oh that's right, the movies will never admit they exist. Ashoka does not exist. Darth Maul is dead, and forget whoever the fuck is on Rebels.

LOL, NU-EUFAGS BTFO AGAIN

There are only the movies, everything else is filler.

>Where is Ashoka?
Stranded on Malachor, assuming she somehow managed to survive Vader.

>Where is Darth Maul?
Possibly dead, or elsewhere in the galaxy.

>Where are the Rebels characters?
The Ghost was shown multiple times, Hera is directly referenced and Chopper appears onscreen all in Rogue One.

>BTFO AGAIN
How so?

>There are only the movies, everything else is filler.
Not according to Lucasfilm.

>Malachor
EU shit
>Possibly dead, or elsewhere in the galaxy.
lol he ded in movies
>The Ghost was shown multiple times
So not in movies?

>How so?
EU does not matter to the movies.

>Not according to Lucasfilm.
Yea, and agents of Shield and Daredevil are "canon" to the movies. But guess what? Neither will ever be in a Marvel movie.

It's simple marketing 101, there is nothing to gain and much to lose by mixing the products up, but gotta tell the nerds that everything is in one continuity to ensure they consume EU shit.

>EU shit
Not anymore.
>he ded in movies
Actually, he wasn't.
>So not in movies?
Rogue One is a movie.

>EU does not matter to the movies.
Indeed. Because George never cared about the EU. We're talking about material George and now Lucasfilm made.

>Yea, and agents of Shield and Daredevil are "canon" to the movies.

Except Marvel's movies don't acknowledge the things that go on in the shows. Star Wars's does.

>there is nothing to gain and much to lose by mixing the products up
If that was the case then why are they mixing the products up?

>but gotta tell the nerds that everything is in one continuity to ensure they consume EU shit.

Except they already took the EU out of that continuity. Now it's all just one cohesive universe. There is no EU anymore.

>Except Marvel's movies don't acknowledge the things that go on in the shows. Star Wars's does.
kek

>Except they already took the EU out of that continuity
There is no difference between old EU and Nu-EU.

Why are you in such denial?

Name the effect Nu-EU shit has no on movies.

Oops, there is nothing. It's all just filler and there is no difference to the movies if they exist or not since they have no impact on the movies.

>There is no difference between old EU and Nu-EU.
There is no nu-EU. There's Star Wars, and then there is EU.

>Why are you in such denial?
How am I in denial for accepting facts laid out by Lucasfilm and the departments they set up for exactly these kinds of matters?

>Name the effect Nu-EU shit has no on movies.
Watch Rogue One. That has plenty of references to material that didn't come from movies.

Nah the original cartoon isn't. I wish it was, but I think George was hurt that people liked it more than any of his prequel shit, so they made the new show that trumps that one.

>There is no nu-EU.
Rebels, Clone Wars, comics, new books.
That's nu-EU. And Disney treats it the way Lucas did EU.

>How am I in denial for accepting facts laid out by Lucasfilm
It's actually up to Disney, but it's irrelevant as it's just a PR gimmick. Actions speak louder than words. And their action show that nu-EU has no affect on the movies.

> That has plenty of references to material that didn't come from movies.
I don't care if some filler spaceship is in the background. If it does not affect the plot, it's of no relevance.

Nothing from nu-EU will ever affect the films. There is no difference between EU is that is canon, but does not affect the films and EU that is canon, but does not affect the films.

And my friend, the cartoons, books and comics will never be acknowledge by the movies in any significant way. It would simply be bad story telling, and thus bad buisness.

pre vizla is 100% canon since he was in the clone wars show which is part of disneys canon list. he got fucked by maul though

It isn't, and never was.

>Rebels, Clone Wars, comics, new books.

That's not EU.

>And Disney treats it the way Lucas did EU.
Proof?

>It's actually up to Disney
True. But so far Disney's been letting Lucasfilm do what they want with the money Disney igves them.

>I don't care if some filler spaceship is in the background
Pic related.

>Nothing from nu-EU will ever affect the films.
Except they already have.

> There is no difference between EU is that is canon

Indeed. There is EU, and there is Canon. George got rid of the EU so that everything in the future is canon.

>the cartoons, books and comics will never be acknowledge by the movies in any significant way

Then why is it already happening?

>Pic related.

Forgot pic.

>Proof?
The movies.

>Pic related.
Pic related.

>Except they already have.
Nah, they haven't. Never will either.

>Indeed. There is EU, and there is Canon.
Sure, on paper.

>George got rid of the EU so that everything in the future is canon.
Was that even his decision? He's not the one that got rid of old EU, was he?

>Then why is it already happening?
Then why can't you offer a single example? Nu-EU is no different than the Iron Man comic books between Iron Man 2 and 3. Worthless filler.

This isn't some sort of mean-spirited grand design, it's just good business. Disney won't let books, cartoons and comic book affect their films in Star Wars any more than they did in Marvel. There is nothing to gain from it.

>Was that even his decision?
Yes.
>He's not the one that got rid of old EU, was he?
It was George indeed.
>Then why can't you offer a single example?
I already had. You refused to acknowledge them.
>Disney won't let books, cartoons and comic book affect their films in Star Wars
Rogue One and TFA has already proven otherwise.
>any more than they did in Marvel
But the Marvel films are adaptations of the comic books and cartoons. It's not a tic for tac adaptation, but the movies are derived from the comics and cartoons.

Its true, all of it.

Basically, the promotional material coupled with the title was feeding you, the movie-watching populace, this seed of an idea that "The Force Awakens" was going to be about this storm-trooper character having an "awakening" of the force and being lead on a journey to fight against the evil organization that he had been a part of.

What ruined it?

The release of a toy that showed Rey with a light saber.
So by then, everyone was expecting it. So everything you see in the movie leading up to the point where she starts using the force seems like obvious leads.

>I already had. You refused to acknowledge them.
>I can't name one
>but they are there, trust me
lol

>Rogue One and TFA has already proven otherwise.
Sadly for you, they only prove me right.

>But the Marvel films are adaptations of the comic books and cartoons.
That's irrelevant. They have "canon" tv shows and comic books that are in the same "continuity," just like Star Wars. Yet the movies never acknowledge they exist. Hell Joss Whedon even said that Coluson is dead as far as the movies are cornered. And I guarantee that's the same position Disney has on Darth Maul. No film will ever admit that he is supposedly alive. Hell, the movies fail to even follow the continuity of other movies sometimes, much less filler in Marvel.

Star Wars is going through the exact same shit, Rogue One is already fucking up the narrative of ANH by placing the Tentative V at the battle rather than being a diplomatic vessel smuggling the plans.

They can't even keep the story in movies in check, and they sure as fuck won't bother with cartoons or comic books. It's just like old EU, a one way street. The EU has to conform and is derived from the movies, but the movies don't have to acknowledge that this filler exists.

And the best part is, Disney didn't have to change anything or do anything Lucas did. Lucas kept the EU out of his movies out of pride. Disney just said fuck it, "it's all canon," but treats filler the same way George did.

But Star Wars fan bought it and think that EU matters now. Disney's marketing team is fucking top notch.

>I already had. You refused to acknowledge them.
>I can't name one
>but they are there, trust me
Saw Gerrera, Hera Syndulla, Chopper and the Ghost are (or are mentioned) in Rogue One. Temmen Wexely, who first appeared, and was created for the Aftermath book trilogy, is one of the Resistance Pilots in TFA. We also see several Kyuzo, a species first appearing in The Clone Wars, on Jakku as well.

>Sadly for you, they only prove me right.
I don't see how.

>Saw Gerrera, Hera Syndulla, Chopper and the Ghost are (or are mentioned) in Rogue One. Temmen Wexely, who first appeared, and was created for the Aftermath book trilogy, is one of the Resistance Pilots in TFA. We also see several Kyuzo, a species first appearing in The Clone Wars, on Jakku as well.
Literally all are interchangeable background filler characters whose backstory is of no relevance. Nothing in a movie would change if they were replaced with generic Ponda Dudu aliens.

Let me know when Ashoka or someone from Rebels gets at least mentioned in movie, and I will accept that Disney treats EU on the same level as films.

>I don't see how.
It's sad, but I understand.

this was actually one of the best scenes in the movie, it was cool seeing a non-Jedi clumsily swinging around the "elegant weapon" ineffectively, it highlighted the value of a Jedi's training

>Let me know when Ashoka or someone from Rebels gets at least mentioned in movie

Saw Gerrera, Hera Syndulla and Chopper ARE from Rebels.

I meant real characters, with actual stories/backgrounds, whose appearance in a film can't be ignored by the story.

>Saw Gerrera
Irrelevant side character even in the cartoons. They even changed his race for some reason too, kek. Probably because the actor was cast before they decided to make him an EU side character. Nothing from the cartoons was even mentioned either. In fact, his defining characteristic, raising the main character chick, is a movie only development. It's pretty obvious he was just a generic mentor guy in the script and they tied him into EU afterwards.

What would have changed if he was played by Tom Hanks and named Proverb Devviva? Nothing, as he is an generic minor character that's completely interchangeable.

You couldn't put Darth Maul/Ashoka/main EU character in a movie make him without making it a big deal, which is why you will never see them.

I have no idea who the other 2 characters are, but something tells me they are even more irrelevant.

You're not listening. Reskins and reused art assets and irrelevant minor characters with no back story are superficial connections. Neither have any impact on the story, or are considered in the script writing process for future movies.

Nothing of relevance can ever happen in the EU and make it to the movies. This is by necessary design. Filler and background characters with no impact on the plot is all you can hope for.