Press f to pay respects

sbnation.com/mlb/2017/8/12/16139678/bryce-harper-knee-injury-nationals-updates

F

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JimmySpencerUN/status/896558931056537600
twitter.com/NBCSGiants/status/896559941741191168/video/1
mlb.com/video/puntos-peculiar-slide/c-30672543?tid=8878728
baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Radical_Realignment
cbssports.com/mlb/news/report-reducing-mlb-season-to-154-games-has-gained-momentum/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

S

post webm

S

Why are we so cursed, Washington bros?

best I can do.

twitter.com/JimmySpencerUN/status/896558931056537600

it's karma for giving in to lobbyists

F

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LMFAO
M
F
A
O

that knee is toast. looks just like zack cozarts injury last year

JUST

Honestly just replace bags with base shaped areas like the home plate.

FUCK

I do believe it's safe to say they're going to do something. Harper is one of the precious babbies like Posey who got the rules changed for one of his ouchies

MY

KNEE

HQ video of Harper's injury, Jon Miller commentary

twitter.com/NBCSGiants/status/896559941741191168/video/1

Definitely F

>"it looks like when he hit the bag he might have hurt his knee"
What gave it away?

Thrown weapons skill 2-100

goodnight, faggot

i hope when they operate he gets an infection and dies

Sad

When the play happened it really wasn't clear what went wrong, it was fast. It looks like a standard race to first base and then suddenly Harper is flying through the air.

It was only after not just the replays but also watching Harper not be able to put weight on his leg that the seriousness of the injury became clear.

F

being a nats fan is suffering

Luckily there are only three of you

what the fug

Thank god this overrated fucks career is over. Now he can go fuck off to chadville.

That was honestly funny as hell

the giants placed a hidden spring there

loooooool

Please Fucking help! Why was this Fucking allowed to happen!? There is no way this should happen on a routine play like this if the field was in proper shape!

What the Fuck are the Nationals supposed to do now!? How can they win the wildcard without Harper!? I mean is he even going to be back by the beginning of next year!?

You MotherFucking MLB! This game almost certainly had no impact on standing and you Fucking made them play int he rain when they didn't Fucking want to because it was so dangerous!

maybe teams should invest in retractable roofs

loooooooool

mlb.com/video/puntos-peculiar-slide/c-30672543?tid=8878728

They should honestly teach this slide if you think it's going to be close at first. What's the worst that can happen? Dislocated Shoulder? Based Nick Punto.

bump

chan nel all your hopes and dreams into a life ending surgical complication, or at least he loses a leg from knee down

You play 162 games with all the interleague nonsense, the large geographical distance between the coasts, the phasing out of double headers apart from make up games, and its pretty predictable you're going to play games in shit weather because nobody wants to deal with the rescheduling.

They played 162 before interleague, dipshit.

You MotherFucker.

Right on schedule

I don't watch basebore but why is everyone so happy this guy got injured

They used to play 154. The teams also used to be closer to each other geographically. The lack of interleague afforded more convenient natural dates for makeup games. Double-headers used to be a regularly scheduled thing, not just a way to fit in make up games.

All of this adds up to having less days available for makeup games and less convenient options overall. So after last night's game got rained out and a doubleheader scheduled for Sunday, there was no way they were going to call this game even when it was obvious they should have [3 hour rain delay].

because theyre edgelard faggots

they used to take buses cross-country to games. they used to have 16 teams. so fucking what?

The point is that injuries from poor field conditions are predictable because more games than ever are played in weather and conditions unsuitable for baseball. More games than ever are played in poor weather because there is more of a calendar and travel crunch to fit in make up games.

160+ games is fucking retarded, but you have to expect it from a pay to win sport.

I don't know. I'm an AL fan so I'm not familiar enough with NL players to tell you the rivalries there. All I know is lots of people seem to hate this guy for his behavior

>but you have to expect it
Without actually doing the math or looking it up, it's probably a relatively even split between years we've had a 162 game season and years we haven't. There are things they could do to alleviate this issue, but they likely don't want to do it. They like interleague, they like the unbalanced schedule, they like divisional races and multiple wildcards.

One slippery base (or cleat) doesn't mean MLB forces teams to play in obviously dangerous conditions. It was a fluke play where a runner goes in with his leg straight; a situation that shreds knees in perfectly dry conditions. It's not like the crew chief twisted the managers' arms and forced them to play. It's a collective decision that is safe 99.9% of the time. This knee-jerk horseshit is the reason we have replays (Galarraga game) and runner/catcher lanes at home (Buster "China Doll" Posey"). What are you suggesting, really? Call games as soon as rain falls?

>This knee-jerk horseshit is the reason we have replays

And no takeout slides at 2nd/3rd ;__;

>lots of people seem to hate this guy for his behavior
Harper is wired the way people like Barbra Streisand and Steve Jobs are - their internal worldview is based on feeling like they're outcasts, no matter how successful they may be.

Because the internal worldview is based on feeling rejected and alone, they will behave in ways *guaranteed to create that rejection so their worldview remains stable*.

So Harper is incredibly talented (I'm not a fan of his style, but the guy's a great ball player), but he acts like a douche because succeeding in spite of people not liking him is his internal view of the world, thus he needs to create that rejection or his world falls apart (other people do this with experiences like fear and uncertainty).

The sad part is for all his success and fame he'll rarely experience the feeling of being accepted.

>What are you suggesting, really? Call games as soon as rain falls?
what the fuck do you think rain delays are for?

It's not about this one play. It happened to a high profile player on a high profile team so it highlights the issue. You sound like you're right out of MLB's PR department.

Teams have fewer days available to schedule makeups. They have even fewer obvious makeup days with interleague opponents they may not see again for years. If there were more open days on the calendar, or a serious consideration given to the league/division alignment, or possibly both of these things, then easily preventable issues like this would be mitigated. Play overall would likely improve.

one freak accident doesn't mean the mlb is neglecting player safety and satisfactory field conditions

>let's reduce the number of games because fag harper got hurt

lolololololololol no

>One slippery base (or cleat) doesn't mean MLB forces teams to play in obviously dangerous conditions
Watching the game it was obvious the conditions were in fact very dangerous. I would have bet lots of money someone would get hurt, the conditions were ridiculous.

>Bryce wished both games were raining so he can head Otakon in DC to ploy Jersey cosplay chicks.

He didn't deserve this

It's not about one freak accident. The conditions that MLB players are being asked to play through have been getting steadily worse over the seasons. And I would hesitate it to call it a freak accident since the wet conditions following a three hour rain delay [with rain still falling at first pitch] are the reason why his foot slipped out from under him.

Oh pls. You didn't think it was worth bringing up until he got hurt and he could have gotten hurt the exact same way even in fair conditions.

Agreed on how calendar and travel lead to less time to makeup games, thus more games played in bad weather.

It's also the case that owners want to baby their prized sporting animals. When a billionaire is spending $250M on one of his racehorses he's never going to want to stress them - thus the decrease in doubleheaders. Yet it's this shortsightedness that leaves less time for makeup games, leading to conditions like tonight's in Washington where the game never should have been played at all, Harper got severely hurt (could easily have been more players, it was raining hard the first 3 innings), and even with all that the players will still end up playing 3 games on Sunday since this game went so late.

And nothing of value was lost

Proposals to go back to a 154 game [or shorter] schedule or radical realignment based around geographical proximity have been around for years. They've even been made in official capacities by the commissioner of baseball.

baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Radical_Realignment

>getting steadily worse over the seasons.

They've had the same schedule format since 2013. if there was anything at all to suggest widespread player health concerns due to schedule congestion, be assured that the players union and the MLB itself would be very interested in those findings. they can't have a league without players. if you have studies that imply players are getting hurt at a greater rate due to scheduling, please provide them. it's not the same as when posey shatters his leg and catchers could finally come forward with the fact that the most violent part of the game was eventually going to break someone's spine, and then implement rules that were already in effect to protect players in lower levels since the 70s.

trout won

TROUT WINS

HARPER BTFO

yakety sax would make this perfect

> if there was anything at all to suggest widespread player health concerns due to schedule congestion, be assured that the players union and the MLB itself would be very interested in those findings.
They already discussed it and it was set aside in the last round of CBA negotiations because of money and television contracts.

cbssports.com/mlb/news/report-reducing-mlb-season-to-154-games-has-gained-momentum/

and they said nothing about player health, merely fatigue. if the union had concrete evidence of deteriorating player health (and they surely have the money to fund such studies, in order to get leverage they admit they don't have), it wouldn't be a conversation about pay cuts and a few extra off-days. the union evidently has zero ammo to use in order to protect it's players from a supposedly ruinous playing regime

or a broken thumb like trout

he is mormon so he will have 3 waifus nursing him back to health for october

Kiss that $400 million goodbye son

realtalk this would help with attendance at day games in califonia.

the fucking nats have a newish park yet they still have a gorrilian rain delays

I fucking wish

I know senpai just cut the games down to 150 or so end end the getaway games at 10 am nobody gives a shit about

The home plate rule didn't change in response to Posey's injury but most likely in response to many such pointless injuries. And if you want to pin the change on one specific injury that led to the rule change, then it should be Alex Avila.

>cbssports.com/mlb/news/report-reducing-mlb-season-to-154-games-has-gained-momentum/

>Players paid exponentially more than in the '60s
>Travel in luxury
>Top-notch training staff
>fuck i'm sleepy can we have less games pls

Jesus, what babies. Cal Ripken's record will not only never be broken, I don't think anyone will come within 1000 games of it again.

nope, it absolutely was in response to posey's injury. Other injuries were pointed out to bolster support, but it wouldn't have gone anywhere if posey and his kike agent didn't exist.

>nope, it absolutely was in response to posey's injury. Other injuries were pointed out to bolster support, but it wouldn't have gone anywhere if posey and his kike agent didn't exist.
There is absolutely no proof that it was in response to Posey's injury. In fact, there isn't even correlation as the rule was put in place three years after Posey's injury.

I don't know if you could attribute replays to Gallaraga like you can wussycatchershit to Posey. It just somewhat sparked the discussion of "hey maybe we should get with the times" that was implemented like a decade later.
The dumbest part of that whole situation was the ump called safe reflexively and literally 0.001 seconds later knew he was wrong but there was nothing to do about it. I for one like challenges (but not necessarily the 15 minutes it takes them to confirm what everyone already knows), but you should have to do it to fix something an ump could easily do by saying "my bad" and a new call