“A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy...

“A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The first bad penny dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy's eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.

'I would love you to do something for me,' I said.

'Anything! Anything!' the boy said rapturously.

'You won't like what I'm going to ask you to do,' I said.

'Anything, sir, anything!'

'Well,' I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?'

He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. 'What a dreadful thing to say to a child!' she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.”

Other urls found in this thread:

buzzfeed.com/chowdad/alec-guinness-hated-star-wars-and-i-should-know-20egr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That boy wasn't a good friend.

0,5 contrarian points has been deposited in your account.

>Luke did I ever tell you I'm a classically trained actor with a hundred films under my belt, yet all people want to talk about is fucking Star Wars? They are not good friends.

>ywn ask Alec how Obi-Wan would have handled the Bridge on the River Kwai.

He's right though.

He did nothing wrong. Manchildren need to be put in their place, even at a young age before it gets worse.

>taking advice from someone who was arrested for cruising men's rooms

LITTLE PLEB BOY BTFO

is this a true story or a meme

>people having fun is bad

he's wrong

>meme
nope

What a whiny old fruit

Should have listened to Uncle Ben, turning to the Dark Side only gave Darth Lucas more power to twist fantasies into nightmares until he gave the fate of millions over to Emperor Disney.

>Luke did I ever tell you that even though I'm always slandering the film and trying to distance myself from it my contract had me receive two and quarter percent of the Box Office Takings. It was one of the highest grossing films of all time and George even raised my share once it seemed like it would be a hit. He was a very good friend.

Wow, what a piece of shit.

It is bad.

why do you think he never had fun?

Imagine what an empty, bitter husk you'd have to be to not humor a child, or use a childish, mainstream property you're famous for to further your pursuits and expose people to things you think are more valuable than it

Super unsurprising that he went to his grave self loathing and closeted

If Alec had done this to all of us as children we could have been saved.

I'm glad that Star Wars is the only thing he's remembered for.

How can you be a part of one of the best films ever made, a generation defining work that's one of the best stories ever told, and be so out of touch?

Might as well wear signs saying "we're virgins"

Nah Bridge over the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia at least.

People always bring up Tinker Tailor and The Ladykillers but I'm too pleb to sit through either of them.

Wtf, I hate Ben Kenobi now

That is some good hardcore wisdom, the world needs more of it today. Sadly no one is around to dish it out anymore. Humanity will turn into a society of manchildren (or, more likely, a fucking caliphate, I just sincerely hope not to live to see it).

Which is impressive since the one on the right is discernibly lefts son.

It is a true story but people here have spinned it to a meme, you've probably seen other versions with different actors etc.

I'm sorry to prefer his role in Lawrence because Bridge on the River Kwai disappointed me a little. Though he was good in it as always. I need to see his Hitler movie next.

It's true but it's from very late in his life. He initially was very fond of Star Wars not least because it made him obscenely rich.

Assumably this was 1997 or so when the special editions were back in cinemas.

I actually remember this being on the radio when I was a kid and being slightly saddened. Didn't listen though and now I am living a life of secondhand childish banalities.

He was a good actor.

He was almost prophetic in how accurate he was about the poisonous cultural effect of Star Wars however it doesn't absolve him of his part in the success of the series, if anything it compounds his guilt. Alec Guinness burns in actor Hell.

Why do you people keep saying he was closet gay

to be fair, Guinness did appear in some awful films for a paycheck (much worse than Star Wars), so it was kinda his own fault

>wife's son

he does come across that way in alot of his stories interviews and writings to be fair.

He was old school theater. Extremely feminine and beta. Same with Peter Cushing but Peter Cushing absolute tragic love for his wife is FAR more likeable.

>missing the point this badly

I completely agree and respect Alec Guiness' position, but he truly never was a good actor anyway

>absolute tragic love
Intredasting. More info?

...yeah, I don't speak Faggot Tumblr Comics, honey.

youtube.com/watch?v=f0VMqKYhFXk

>Since Helen passed on I can't find anything; the heart, quite simply, has gone out of everything. Time is interminable, the loneliness is almost unbearable and the only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that my dear Helen and I will be united again some day. To join Helen is my only ambition. You have my permission to publish that... really, you know dear boy, it's all just killing time. Please say that. - Radio Times 1972

Cheers man. Heavy stuff. I can kind of relate, being a lonely loser.

>How did I come to this
>I played Lieutenant Colonel Nicholson
>I was nominated 7 times for an academy
>I was an actor once, dammit
>NOW LOOK AT ME!!
>I can't go out there.

Me too. In a sick naive sort of way I envy he ever had someone to love so wholeheartedly.

Not much Christmas cheer to be had from it so I'll leave it at that.

>Years later, I found out that little boy was a CGI character George Lucas had digitally edited into my life.

Take care man. We will make it.

>faggot ass actor hating on people for pretending in their free time which they earn with real actual work while he gets paid an inordinate amount to pretend for a living.

what an entitled prick

The story is actually FALSE!

The kid wrote his side of the story in an article somewhere, it was much more by the numbers meet n greet; Alec when telling the story spun it a bit. I'm on a mobile, mobilefag so I can't look it up atm

What a dick. Now imagine never having a GF in your entire life. "Wah my 60 year relationship ended, my life is over". Thats some let them eat cake bullshit.

>Cushing was to continue working as he battled prostate cancer; it was the illness which was eventually to end his life in 1994 when he was eighty-one years old, after a ten-year battle. Christopher Lee recounts of their last meeting in that year, “There was something a little bit different about Peter, waiting for the end: for twenty-three years since his beloved wife Helen died, his friends realised that he wouldn’t mind packing up on this earth to join her. Vincent [Price] once, in a phone call to me, asked, ‘Is he still expecting Helen to be there to greet him?’ And I said, ‘Looking forward to it.’ And Vincent said, ‘And what if she’s out?’ I said, ‘I shall tell him you said that, Vincent,’ and when I did, Peter laughed fit to dispatch him immediately on his journey. When he’d recovered he said, ‘Only Vincent could say such a thing, and only you could pass it on.'”

> (on his friendship with Peter Cushing) I don't want to sound gloomy, but, at some point of your lives, every one of you will notice that you have in your life one person, one friend whom you love and care for very much. That person is so close to you that you are able to share some things only with him. For example, you can call that friend, and from the very first maniacal laugh or some other joke you will know who is at the other end of that line. We used to do that with him so often. And then when that person is gone, there will be nothing like that in your life ever again.

You too bro. Merry Christmas.

fuckin hell

Based.
Same can be said about weebshit

>classic philsophers being named things like Draco and spending all their time physically/verbally fighting over fundamental worldview disagreements is fine but emulating space opera is for delusional nerds

It's sad that contemporary western society is so intrinsically insecure that it can't abide by earnest self-expression except with accompanying severe irony or sarcasm.

Fucking hell. I didn't ask for this feel.

Absolute cunt when the camera's not on him and distant from anyone he worked with.

Man in the White Suit's severely underrated, catch that as well (chemist accidentally creates clothing that can't be soiled and the entire textiles industry wants him dead)

He's as consciously a dig at how self-conscious Nimoy was about playing Spock for a good decade or so after Trek got cancelled as anything. Seriously, GQ had enough in-jokes that for a while I thought Walter Koenig wrote it under a pseudonym.

jesus christ Vincent was hardcore

everyone knows cosplay is for sluts with daddy issues. Males who participate need to be euthanized.

Law of nature

don't cut yourself on that katana

You'd be better off because you haven't lost what you never had.

imagine their children (remember Dolph has a doctorate in Math)

Kind of this. It happened, but for some reason, Alec changed the kid's reaction to make it seem like he was intentionally mean to a child. Apparently, in reality, it was just him being playful as part of a meet and greet.

buzzfeed.com/chowdad/alec-guinness-hated-star-wars-and-i-should-know-20egr

Later in life, he ended up hating Star Wars, but it probably has more to do with him being a bitter drunk that would have had people remember him for being in highly respected movies like Lawrence of Arabia.

>at some point of your lives, every one of you will notice that you have in your life one person, one friend whom you love and care for very much.
>That person is so close to you that you are able to share some things only with him. For example, you can call that friend, and from the very first maniacal laugh or some other joke you will know who is at the other end of that line.
>We used to do that with him so often. And then when that person is gone, there will be nothing like that in your life ever again.
I was expecting snow for Christmas, not rain.

Imagine the sex they would have had...

>Tis better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all

>a bitter drunk that would have had people remember him for being in highly respected movies like Lawrence of Arabia

This is why I love Anthony Hopkins, who went from a season of robot cowboys to some role in the next Transformers movie, and considers himself blessed to work and is grateful for everyone who's behind the scenes from the fucking caterers on up who make him look good.

Guinness was a good actor and a shitty human being.

>You'll never hang out with Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Christopher Lee.

The other day i saw Our man in the habana. Fun movie, i laughed out loud when the Title Drop

>not knowing the anime club
Talk about uncultured