What do you guys think of Westworld? (spoilers)

What do you guys think of Westworld? (spoilers)

The 1st season just seemed.....like it was built primarily to set the stage for season 2, it looks like it will be about self governance, how the Hosts want to identify themselves, how they want to act and what they will do with their captive humans.

All in all it makes me feel hungry for more, but strangely not caring much for what happened in the season.

Also, anyone else feel that dolores killing people randomly seemed wrong?

An embarrassment to prestige television and HBO that is only lauded by shills and pseudo-intellectuals who are more concerned with proselytizing their own intelligence than taking the time to understand the fundamentals of storytelling.

I want to fuck dolores brain out

Some good ideas, some good execution.
Still not too convinced by the whole maze premise, it seems good as an idea but i didnt see dolores actually confronting herself the way she should have before killing everyone
Also they killed off their best actors. Its going to be GoT all over again.

first episodes were ok but it got worse and worse
will watch s2 anyway

>Also they killed off their best actors.
who is dead?

and I agree with you about dolores, it just seemed so.........out of character, maybe if it was her bf (thomas?) doing the shooting id be more inclined to believe it, i can see her killing anthony hopkins but not the random senseless killing.

All the good characters, which are played by the best actors.

only anthony died, and anthony can always come back as a host.

Eds character and anthonys character.
I even count black science man since hes only a robot copy of his actual self

Lets be honest, she dated marilyn manson, she's probably a dirty, dirty hoe IRL

ed didn't die in season 1, I'm sure he will survive a long way into season 2, so that he can be confronted by the black whose kid he killed.

Also, the black science guy does not really count, since its the same actor regardless.

Overall OP..

the story was interesting, but not that interesting.

if ford is actually ded this show is gonna suck

true but young William and Logan were good as everyman characters.

and with sci-fi you need an everyman or something in order to keep things fairly grounded.

he'll show up at the very least in flashbacks and voiceovers

at the most, well, he'll be back full time as he aint dead

I agree with you on that point, maybe they will introduce other people, I'm quite interested to see if the hosts will still be immortal

Well ok we didnt see him actually die.
Is it implied hes dead? He got shot at least a few times by an angry robot mob

>Also, anyone else feel that dolores killing people randomly seemed wrong?

I thought it was great, hoping she'd become the gunslinger character from the movie was a pipedream I had from the start, takes some balls in this day and age to have the female protagonist go full spree killer villain

I'm assuming the second season will be all about the hosts shotting and killing the security forces from Delos, right? That sounds incredibly boring.

Should have been two seasons, totally linear. Time jumping shit all over the story.

>le robot uprising XD

fuck you HBO

>but muh plot tweests

just a graze on his arm, nothing serious.

the problem I see it is they're going to be pushing Dolores massacring people as "a good thing" and not as a ruse by ford (who faked his own death).

so we're going to get some hamfisted metaphor for "oppressed" groups revolting/"liberating" themselves.

nah, i doubt it, hosts will start killing each other and they will see killing people is also wrong, point will be made that people are mortal/unique, hosts are neither.

But hosts cant repair themselves except black science man
If they take over they basically become mortal

The whole premise seems like a decent cyberpunk foundation but i cant see them going the whole way with it.
Also samurai world, motherfucker

can't they "rebirth"?

Which robot knows how to do that?

Will we ever get robo samurai vs robo cowboys: the show?

I think the show was capturing, it did so many things right like HBO shows tend to do. Stunning visuals, very high production quality, story that was quite well layered. They did fall for many fallacies though.

I think the whole process of machines gaining self-awareness was too stretched out. That should've happened mid season because now it felt a little like the story was not evolving really.

I didn't like Maeve choosing to return to Westworld while she was so close to breaking outside. I know they wanted to add humane features to her by making her return to the park, but it's the typical fallacy of making everything humanlike while in reality they wouldn't be humanlike because they are machines and adhere to a different set of logic. They aren't controlled by what's basically just fluctuating brain chemistry.

Whatever happened to William and Dolores in that shed? Did he fuck her or what did they do?

I don't believe Dolores killed Robert, I believe the Robert we saw was a host.

All in all a good 8.5/10 but I found myself interested about the future world instead of westworld.

I thought Theresa was played by Tracy Ullman.

>Whatever happened to William and Dolores in that shed? Did he fuck her or what did they do?

you mean after william killed thomas and her family? its heavily implied he raped her no? Thats the whole point of what he learned in westworld, he learned to take what he wanted.

great cast, great effects, interesting setting.
pacing was slow, they should tune down the boring wild west gun action, tune up the cyborg action.
keep up the gratuitous nudity though, maybe more action in that aspect too.

I didn't mind the maeve returning for her "daughter" subplot.

now I hope they can make some sense of "characters will never grow up or grow old/etc."

The black woman returning to ww was the polar opposite of dolores. She was programmed to escape but ended up staying, while dolores was programmed to be a normal robot but ended up escaping (or trying to)

If they have crazy IQ, and can leave westworld back to their birthing area, they can do it themselves.

Or even automatons could do it for them.

It seems they are smart but dont know anything about the engineering.
I suppose they could possibly learn, but it would take time

hope not, that sounds boring.

We better see some cybernetics (including brain-augmentation) in this show.

my guess is they can't, simply because they have essentially waged war on humans, sooner or later mankind will realise that high ranking members (CEO's, politicians etc.....) have been killed by rogue AI and will send their armies to raze the place.

had much promise but either deliberately dumbed down or just badly written at times.
Also it has many unnecessary action scenes.

>future world
>not samurai world

Completely fucking overrated. The half assed writing made it far too convoluted

HBO once again managed to shove SJW politics into a show in the most hamfisted irritating way possible.

It's pretty overrated. I don't really understand why it's getting so much attention.

>boring lead actress that can't act
>repetitive as fuck
>boring west feel
>plot holes out the ass
>Ford basically doing fuckall until the last episodes
>Man in Black is supposed to be evil, but he's the coolest and expirencing the park how you're supposed to

>The 1st season just seemed.....like it was built primarily to set the stage for season 2

How? Everything was wrapped up in the end. Its like the 1st season was given the greenlight and then HBOs says oh shit we need this to replace GoT so they just announce 5 seasons by default.

Also the whole season could have been condensed into 3-5 eps. First ep was goat, last ep was good. in between was okay.

I refuse to believe that this show and Game of Thrones are part of HBO.

This is the same network that brought us The Sopranos and the Wire and now they have made literal tv cancer.

>prestige television
>robot cowboys

christ you're a pretentious retard

> should have been spoonfed to me, I can't keep track of this show while I'm playing video games

The whole point is humans vs Hosts, of evolution, of a new species surpassing its maker, of neanderthal vs homo sapient, it just sets stage for hosts to discover themselves and fight against humans.

Its hinted at and even pointed out obviously thought, they are superior, they don't eat, age, can resurrect, can become vastly intelligent/strong etc..... while humans rut around in westworld fulfilling base desires they are learning.

At first I was mad because they can make artificial humans but no one thought to install any fucking security cameras anywhere.

But after watching them I was just angry that they can make artificial humans but no one thought to actually watch any of the fucking security cameras that they apparently have had installed the ENTIRE TIME. You don't have to transmit any fucking data out via satellite because no one fucking pays attention to anything. You could just loudly start stuffing papers in your shirt and all of the spineless workers would purposefully avoid looking at you through all of the GODDAMN TRANSPARENT WALLS

also why is it so dark? Did they forget to pay their electric bill for the month? Why are character actions dictated by plot and not by logic/necessity?

It just seems like a show made so dumb people can feel smart

>I don't really understand why it's getting so much attention.
clearly the world is mistaken here and not your expectations

> they aren't doing things like I want them to, this is objectively wrong

There were a lot of things I think they muffed but they did not overall ruin the experience, just how seriously we're supposed to believe in any of it. As a whole, it achieved its goal of being mildly thought provoking entertainment. If the showrunners can stop shitting the bed on leaving behind remnants of dropped subplots, it'll be good.

also it's stupid that all of their security are trained to do is point a gun at someone and walk up menacingly because that final escape scene was embarrassing to watch

>but no one thought to install any fucking security cameras anywhere
It would completely ruin any dramatic tension. This is artistic license, like having the firearms from a wider time period than the era depicted.

>Why are character actions dictated by plot and not by logic/necessity?
This is your first experience with science fiction that hinges on flaws leading to unintended outcomes, is it? Those stories are going to be plot driven first and character driven second.

>but I don't LIKE that
No one cares.

>a show made so dumb people can feel smart
Dumb people insisted there was only one timeframe and that Logan would become the MiB despite no physical resemblance and every clue it would be William being shoved in their face. Were you perhaps one of those people?

>that final escape scene was embarrassing to watch
Total agreement with you here. That was a shitshow top to bottom with no real indication the security forces were prepared for the worst-case scenario of hosts going berserk and finding actual weaponry.

Helmets? Nope, just a kevlar vest. They jobbed so hard and a better writer could have come up with a more tense scenario using no more time and the same sets.

>Also the whole season could have been condensed into 3-5 eps. First ep was goat, last ep was good. in between was okay.

Tell an Eva fan the same thing and wait for the mouth frothing.

What really, really needed to be condensed were the Maeve/technician scenes, because the more you come back to a character making a stupid decision, the more you let the audience pull their hair out over it. The actors are fine but the scenes got progressively stupider no matter how many quips they shoved into Maeve's mouth.

You can have artistic license and still create a story that makes sense.

Are you saying that every other piece of science fiction has shit that breaks internal logic? And you're OK with stories that do? And you're belittling me for wanting one that does make sense. Ok.

>you say this show is dumb but now I'm saying that YOU'RE the dumb one!
ok

Westworld is the L O S T of this generation

> niggers talked and stuff and women didn't show me their tits, I thought Trump was supposed to fix all this

you must be 18+ to post on Sup Forums

>It just seems like a show made so dumb people can feel smart

aka the Game of Thrones audience.

Weak bait.

>better writer could have come up with a more tense scenario using no more time and the same sets.

Written by Nolan's brother, why am I not surprised?

>not shrink world

cmon

This was supposed to quote: >a better writer could have come up with a more tense scenario using no more time and the same sets.

Written by Nolan's brother, why am I not surprised?

Yeah terminator has already been done bro. The fact is, with the story as it is, the atmosphere is made completely irrelevant. Why would I give a shit about Westworld, the park, if it's just used for the story of robots overthrowing their makers. Give me a story about Westworld, the park, the characters, the adventures that happen there.

I was so hyped for this too. And I ate it up while watching weekly because the atmosphere. The writing was okay at best. The acting was good. Cowboys and Robots are probably the two coolest concepts in my opinion. I wish it was better.

>Written by Nolan's brother

The worst parts of the writing are the result of a reshoot and rewrite that's disjointed in continuity more than tone. Anyone pissy over the timeskips needs their diapers changed. FWIW he managed to populate WW with a number of interesting characters, some of whom are still alive by the end of the season.

I never watched Person of Interest so I can't comment on his writing there.

>Yeah terminator has already been done bro
well fuck me, what are they doing then? Its literally what I said.

Thats why all the humans are getting killed and no one else is going to enter, because its about robots and AI, its about them learning and growing and becoming sentient

I totally agree. It was only made a little more tolerable by the fact that it was all according to Ford's plan in the end.

A good director would easily be able to handle that, oh guess what? Jonathan Nolan also directed the episode.

>Give me a story about Westworld, the park, the characters, the adventures that happen there.

Also this; the show literally starts with a deconstruction of the premise before we even experience it. One episode following a few guests who represent more than one kind of person while subtly dropping clues that the surface is starting to crack would have been a better start piece than Dolores waking up in Analysis.

really love the show, just one thing that pisses me off is the show pushing the narrative that asians are male beta pushovers. fuck that

>I want you to take down my loyalty and boost everything back up or I'll kill you!
>ok you seem trustworthy enough
>ok now take off the security that keeps me from killing you
>ok I don't see any red flags there
>now I'm killing you haha
>fuck how could this have happened!

>it was all according to Ford's plan in the end.
And yeah, handwaving everything to this sucked (instead, perhaps, Delos/the Chinese being responsible for Maeve's reprogramming in a bid to get a host out of the park for easy teardown). Having Ford think he's God is one thing, having him actually BE God is another.

Like I said, if that happened in the span of 2 episodes, it would be JESUS FELIX HOW CAN YOU BE THIS RETARDED without constantly drawing attention to itself. Every magician knows you don't fucking repeat a trick.

I really wanted there to be some real corporate espionage going on instead of "oh well we spied on our own company :^)" bullshit. the lady that got her head caved should have been a corporate spy for someone else

>the lady that got her head caved should have been a corporate spy for someone else

and to date, given how porous security is when it comes to logins, we still have no actual evidence she was behind the woodcutter's tampering. Hale didn't mention it, and just how the fuck did the QA director have an unauthorized component embedded in a host that's supposed to be 90% flesh?

Did Hale have that done? And if so, how since she wasn't in the park when it happened? Cullen was insufferable but she really seemed like she was trying to do her job by the book and Hale was the cheater.

In what meaningful way did having Cullen murdered "show" Hale/the Board not to mess with Ford? Hale looked pretty certain it wasn't an accident and it didn't send a message worth shit to them; they fired him practically the next day once MiB rubberstamped it.

Season 1 made me not give a shit about anybody except Bernard, and then I stopped caring about him when he got revived.

I often hated when shows built themselves around mystery and then never answered them. Now I know why they do that. Because it's boring if they are all solved immediately especially with very little consequence.

Okay I lied a bit, Dolores did interest me because she's gained true consciousness. I DO HOPE IT MEANS MORE THAN JUST GOING ON KILLING SPREES THOUGH.

Woah friendo. I was at the forefront of anti maeve posting in the weekly threads. I'm just saying it made it more tolerable knowing that Ford made all that mary sue shit happen.

Whatever happened to Thor's brother and how come nobody gave a fuck about it and how he was randomly replaced by some random black dude?

he's coming back for season 2

I feel like next season is gonna suck ass. They already did most of their cool ideas save for hosts having control.

There are just too many plot tweests in typical hbo fashion. Sometimes when you have a good premise you just need to roll with that or have a big reveal at the end, not "everything is a tweest lol"
I gussed that ford would die at the end, but i thought black science man would be the killer.
Also i thought black science mans human self would do some ghost in the matrix shit but in the end he just an heroed without doing anything.

Fuck this plotline

the people that like this show are the same people that consider GoT and the walking dead as two of their favorite shows

My god this triggered me so fucking hard.

The security just walked towards them for so fucking long, it would have been so easy to just shoot.

The only thing I can think of is the implication that some are hosts or some shit? But that would annoy me.

I like WW and wouldn't be caught dead watching either of those shitfests

Keep feeling superior and make another Sopranos thread

>ghost in the matrix shit but in the end he just an heroed without doing anything

thought he faked his own death, and like made bernard or something as a clone/replacement or something so ford would believe it.

>would be pretty cool if ford and arnold both faked their deaths and are running things behind the scenes playing 12d chess