What is it about Aphex Twin (and Daft Punk, Avalanches, Burial...

What is it about Aphex Twin (and Daft Punk, Avalanches, Burial, and maybe one or two others) that makes the music so appealing to rockist normies? Is it just that he releases music as LPs, which are a more familiar format for the unimaginative, overly materialistic rockist? Is it that the music projects an air of sophistication and experimentation from what is fundamentally a commercial project, like most "experimental" and "artistic" rock musicians? I know that on some level, the popularity of Aphex Twin (and the others) is based on a fundamental lack of fluency in the roots, trends, and true geniuses of electronic music, but there has to be some other X factor at play that lifts up this man as the "greatest electronic producer evar" in illiterate forums like Sup Forums.

because all /bleeps/ are for degenerate druggies and afx actually has a brain

Who keeps cranking out these Afx copypastas? You're a fucking machine mate.

all those reasons + the more popular they get, the more rockists will try to "get" them for fear of not understanding innovation (despite being years behind already)

it is cute to think that a mid-90s IDM compilation that was memed and lied into being an ~innovative treasure trove originating in the mid-80s~ by a notoriously tricky and sly personality in the electronic music world is taken to be some holy grail of all electronic music. it's wild to think there's people to whom his schtick remains a fresh sound over two decades later 'cause they just haven't listened to anything since.

WOKE

The best thing richard (Aphex Twin) ever did was take dull, derivative, and constructively limiting genres like acid house, techno, jungle, dubstep and make them into something creative. Not just music for braindead molly popping normies. Daft Punk did the same thing too though more within the EDM framework.

That stuff was objectively bad and /bleep/ literally circlejerks over the avicii of 1987. They're retarded.

Sure rock and punk and what have you were more innovative at their inception vs. 25 years of being in the mainstream (Pink Floyd vs Creed, The Damned vs. Blink 182) but not EDM.

It's inital influence was disco which is about as generic, normie, and shitty as you can get. It was already commercialized and commodified when it started because it was inherently mainstream and lowbrow from the start.

Theres no difference between /bleep/ shit and old person acid techno whatever and modern day trap big room housestep whatever in form or function. It takes 2 minutes to create and release to the world. No effort degenerate druggy music.

this is fair, and simple enough. but i just wonder what it is about Aphex Twin that made him stand out from his contemporaries to the young Pitchfork writers of the '90s who were much more versed in indie rock than anything else. maybe his preference for the LP format and music video success with Windowlicker made his label realize he was marketable as a crossover?

because some music is better than other music

I know this is pasta but there is a grain of truth in it
In my opinion Aphex Twin is great, /bleep/s are just so biased toward "discovering" obscure and underground releases that they refuse to accept that the most popular electronic artist may actually be one of the best

Because he's really good at creating melodies. But then again, so was mozart. He's too autistic for most people probably though. On Sup Forums he might seem popular but I haven't ever come across anyone who's into him as well

i know this is bait but normies dont actually like rdj, they just say they do to look cool. go ahead, ask them whats there favorite song by richard and it will 9/10 be come to daddy or windowlicker.

normies liked rubber johnny and richard is a cutie

come to daddy and windowlicker are just memes. It's the same tier as that mike and rich album.
"Come to Daddy came about while I was just hanging around my house, getting pissed and doing this crappy death metal jingle," he recalled. "Then it got marketed and a video was made, and this little idea that I had, which was a joke, turned into something huge. It wasn't right at all."

>music video success with Windowlicker made his label realize he was marketable as a crossover?
definitely. there's nothing about Windowlicker that's any more impressive than anything that came before but people will eat that shit up if it's got any extra-musical materials to wow and awe people who haven't done their homework

9/10 it will be Avril 14 which is one of the most overrated tracks of all time

luckily with people like afx stuff like that is the exception, with Björk it's the norm. And she still gets praised into heavens. Without a producer she's just shit, i'm sure of that. But still wants to get the credit to feed her ego.

Idk man, he really is one of the most popular electronic musicians among people who listen to something else than top-40, it's sure as hell not just a Sup Forums-thing. Last year he was one of the headliners in my country's biggest indie/alternative-festival.

This just in: electronic music artists that don't exclusive release singles, and maybe EPs, are shit appealing to "rockists"
God EDM snobs are such fags

Seriously. Like /bleep/fags are going to sit there and pretend there's a difference between some acid house dude from 1992 and aviici. There's literally not.

>some acid house dude
I bet you haven't listened to any of his albums. What's next, calling beethoven the avicii of the 18th century because he made relatively popular classical music?

Because all those musicians are pop musicians you dumb retard. Aphex Twin is the Beatles of EDM

who's albums?

What is "electronic music"?

Guetta? Schaeffer? Sachiko M? Radiohead? Jean Michel Jarre?

all the same shit.

at least the dancier stuff

aphex, who else? or were you just speaking in general

in general

aphex isn't an acid house artist

you're overthinking it. "rockists" tend to like these artists because they're the most popular. if you asked average "music fans" (for lack of a better term) for some good electronic musicians, the most prevailing and common responses would likely be aphex, daft punk, etc. there's nothing particularly "rockist" about liking them, they're just entry-level.

>Guetta? Schaeffer? Sachiko M? Radiohead? Jean Michel Jarre?
yes
it's not a genre, it's just a word to describe music that heavily uses electronic sounds