The grand bore

This is fucking stupid
What the fuck is going on? Why is it so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/09/the-grand-tour-everything-that-was-wrong-with-clarkson-era-top-gear
theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2016/nov/29/the-walking-dead-why-im-giving-up-on-the-zombie-apocalypse
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1482686187409.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The show was Americanized so now the humour is cheesy and in-your-face instead of classy and subtle.

I honestly believe though that the guys are intentionally playing it up because they hate the new direction of the show and want to get a negative fan reaction so they can change things in season 2.

I liked the joke about the ferrari carbon fibre chess set

This is what I'm now starting to think.

Shitting on the amazon ads
Not doing any savvy product integration in that segment
Shitting on american stig
Clarkson going for you Americans...
I think they want to either get a better deal or go to someone better (Netflix?? Dunno)

>Only, four episodes in, it doesn’t feel like an exciting new start. It feels stale. Forced. Baggy. Tired. And this is because, as well as transplanting the presenting team (plus executive producer Andy Wilman) across from Top Gear, it has also carried across the baggage that made latter-day Top Gear fall flat. Worse, with the pool of cash Amazon provides, it’s cranked up these irksome indulgences to the point where bolts are popping out. The kernel of what made Top Gear a phenomenon – three men bickering, driving around and being rubbish – is almost entirely absent.

>It must be said, though, the first episode did border on joyous. Its opening sequence – in which Jeremy went from a murky London to heading a Mad Max-style phalanx of supercars in California – had the pleasingly petulant sense of a show flashing the BBC a backwards finger “L” on its forehead, saying “look at all the money we’ve got”. Somehow you were on Clarkson’s side, despite the BBC only doing what any company would have if one of its employees had punched a producer in the face. The opening episode also introduced its various “new” segments, like Conversation Street, its new track and attendant tame racing driver. Its 80-minute runtime whizzed by on goodwill and these nuggets of novelty.

>Then came the second episode, and everything started to unravel. In a pastiche of Tom Cruise sci-fi blow-em-up Edge of Tomorrow, the trio pretended to die only to be respawned, embarked on a car chase, caused some explosions, and Jeremy was shot in the nethers. That’s when it began to dawn: oh dear. They’ve got too much money. The quality control’s gone. No one at Amazon is saying “yes, but will it be entertaining?”

>One of the most acute mistakes Clarkson’s iteration of Top Gear increasingly made was its blurring of the line between presenter and actor. May, Hammond and Clarkson are good presenters; they were never good actors. And it was the show requiring them to act that resulted in its most tiresome segments. The second episode of The Grand Tour was just play-acting. It was a dreary, self-indulgent lesson in how it is possible to take a £4m-per-episode budget and produce nothing of value. The over-scripted tedium arose again in the third episode, when Clarkson and May acted “surprised” when Hammond turned up on their Grand Tour road trip in a US muscle car, then “acted” like a child in it. The fourth likewise, with May “accidentally” demolishing Hammond’s sustainable car. With the huge sums being spent on set-pieces, scripting is the only way to ensure the required shots make the cut. The downside of this is that all spontaneity is jettisoned.

>The wonky ratio of scripted v ad-libbed dialogue carries over into the studio-based segments. Is it funny to watch celebrities pretend to die every week? Or a self-driving car Jeremy “built” that the others are shocked to “discover” actually has an eastern European man driving it? No.

>It’s frustrating, because this is such an easy show to get right. Three men, talking about cars, mocking one another, and going on adventures. That’s it. Stop scripting everything, and stop throwing money at pointless explosions. It’s tiresome.

>The Grand Tour is not beyond repair, as it does get a lot right: the multinational settings work, allowing for some pleasant location-related joshing. And the car reviews are as entertaining as ever. The show just needs to embark on more make-and-make-do projects, like the amphibious cars or the rocket, without scripting the whole thing or hurling Trumpian wads of cash at it. Just allow the three men to simply talk to each other and come a cropper. This, and only this, is why people tuned in.

>Will that happen? Of course it won’t. What will happen is we’ll end up watching the natural, slow death Top Gear would have had, only much more expensively: it’ll get worse, people will switch off, and it will end. Perhaps the BBC will have the last laugh after all.

what's this from? it's a pretty on-point piece.

they signed a 3 year contract you idiot
and all the shitters crying, its still better than the terrible other show

Green text is spot on.

Nobody wants scripted scenes.
We want cars, car talk and the three lads doing stuff in cars, talking about cars.

Also American stig is a faggot.

the car bits are good, the studio bits are awful and very cringe

why cant they interview celebs? can someone explain that? loads of shows interview celebs?

the next episode is a 2-part Namibian adventure on the 30/31st December., so hopefully that will be okay with no studio shit

>"In this special show, The Grand Tour abandons its usual travelling tent for a road trip across Namibia as Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May attempt to demonstrate the brilliance of that great ‘60s throwback, the beach buggy. The Grand Tour boss, Mr Wilman, has declared that beach buggies are terrible and it’s up to the hosts to prove him wrong as they saddle up three examples built to their own specifications and set off on an epic journey across south west Africa, taking in sand dunes, rough roads, dirt tracks, animals, accidents, incidents, arguments and some incredible scenery."

May's film about gt40 and p3 was pretty epic

theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/09/the-grand-tour-everything-that-was-wrong-with-clarkson-era-top-gear

the car bits are boring too

the film about the m4 being terrible was good
the film about the p3 and gt40 was good too

i did not know they had EIGHT ford gt40s at lemans

>lel only took 8 of you to beat me

meant to quote

>lel only took 8 of you to beat me

in car racing it doesn't matter how big your team is

50 VW Golf's will still lose against 2 Porsche 911's

This guy isn't too awful desu
theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2016/nov/29/the-walking-dead-why-im-giving-up-on-the-zombie-apocalypse

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1482686187409.webm

This show had 1 good show, the rest were shit.

like the latest show intro showed shit taht wasnt even in teh fuckign show

what the fuck?