How to get Into Swans?

Just do what everyone else here does and pretend to like them in order to appear cool.

Trash music for hipsters.

Excuse me sir, but i genuinely like Swans

favorite album?

Did anyone actually start with SFTB and find it to be a good starting point?
Not judging the chart I'm just curious

well, for me its the first album I got into fully, followed by Filth. but I had skimmed through the latter much longer before SFTB

Bullshit you fell for a meme

fuck u

My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky

It was probably the first of theirs I'd actually gotten into, I listened to Seer first then Filth and didn't really like either then SFTB just clicked with me. I like all the stuff now to some degree or another, Deliquescence was great.

Or maybe the "Swans Are Dead" live album

By listening to Swans

/thread

I did, and boy was that a mistake. I totally hated it and because of that I convinced myself that the rest of Swans must be shit too. Only after hearing all their other albums I was able to appreciate how good it is. Though it's definitely not my favourite cause the length and Jarboe tracks make it difficult to listen to.

Interesting to hear. I always saw it as a very daunting album to get into, so i purposely saved it for last. Thought it made sense to since it was a send off record, and it sounds very different to all their other work. I was also to much of a pleb to listen to all the drone...

The Seer got me interested in Swans first when it was released and the melon made a review among others. I listened to the 30 minute long title track on youtube confusing it for the full record. But i got a good taste of Swans, and then i just worked my way through the discography slowly, i had a friend also that spoke highly of their early albums.
I remember him saying something like
>they got a song named "Raping a slave" duuude!

Hilarious when i think back to it.

White Light is pretty easy to get into and right now probably my favourite album. Burning World is a good option or To Be Kind is also very easy to understand what Swans are doing.

You listen to them

I did. It's not a good starting point. I loved Helpless Child and some other tracks, but you need to have some knowledge of the previous Swans albums to really understand why it's so highly rated.

>mfw the live version of Cloud of Unknowing

Soundtracks is a great album but you won't like it at all if you are new to Swans so just start with something more accessible.

To Be Kind is amazing and also the most pleb-friendly modern Swans album if you want to start near the post-rock side of things. Filth if you want to start with the aggressive side of things and work up chronologically.

Listen to it at night. I'm talking around 8 or 9 p.m. 2000 or 2100. On a bus or just walking around. Look at the streetlights as you do. It helps if it is pretty chilly out, and if you have had your heart broken a month or so ago

Listen to Children of God, if you're not into it at all then Swans prob isn't for you