Why does every musician get worse as they get older? What is some good le late career music?

Why does every musician get worse as they get older? What is some good le late career music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ToWt5TXQ6LM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Why does every musician get worse as they get older?
Because record labels

Do you even classical?

Bowie, a ton of classical music, Aesop Rock, Swans, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Scott Walker, etc

jazz artists often get better as they get older though

Because they're trying hard to be relevant as they get older they become less popular

less drugs

this
i mean look at Joe Mcphee for instance. He released solo album on 2016 that was one of his best works.
I think however that for certain artists, creativity goes down the more they release albums and all. They probably grow tired of making music and see it simply as a job. Some others don't, however, and actually grow more and more refined the older they become. I think a good example of this could be Julian Casablancas who i really am excited for seeing what he does next.

Paul McCartney has released some good late period stuff. Chaos And Creation In The Backyard is one of his best albums.
Bob Dylan from 1997-2012 released some fantastic albums.

David Bowie

the jazz and classical musicians get better

Pretty much every classical composer ever.

the human brain starts to deteriorate after age 30

Human cognitive ability is more or less steady-state from the ages of 25 to 59. There's typically a slight drop in the 60s and a bigger drop after 70, but there's considerable variation among individuals.

*hoists your rag*

Musicians who lose it after 35 are usually pop musicians since their kind of music is dependent on youth and sexuality. Non-commercial musicians don't fall off as hard. For example, Bowie and Sonic Youth continued to put out interesting later career music while Motley Crue just became an embarrassment being in their 50s and still singing about teenage sluts.

David Bowie is shit lmao

David Lee Roth admitted he doesn't know how to do anything but buttrock.

Chaos and Creation in the Backyard [Capitol, 2005] *bomb*

Tom Waits peaked like 11 or 12 ialbums in and my favorite of his is even later than that.. Kate Bush with Aerial, PJ Harvey with Let England Shake.. Can't think of too many, some of my favorites have gotten so awful with age

Steven Wilson

Talk Talk ofc

>what are jazz musicians
>what are funk musicians
>what are classically trained musicians/composers
>what is any style of music that isn't pop shit
People who make generalizations like this expose just how big of a fucking plebian they are.

Because most musicians aren't good and most are pop(ular) musicians. These people have their whole life to create their first album but about a year or so to create their second (because labels) and they simply just start flopping because they either aren't talented enough to be consistently good songwriters or they just don't have the time or freedom.

Meanwhile art and traditional musicians usually aren't pressured by consumerist culture (i.e. labels and shit) so they possess a lot more time and freedom to work. And well they're usually much better musicians and artists in general.

he got better

Exercise and diet can prevent brain atrophy and there is plenty to do to encourage neurogenesis and repair telemares.

Dude, Jamiroquai got nothing but better until Dynomite. They sit at the peak of pop music at this point.

Bjork prime example. Vulnicura is her best

DANCE

NOTHING LEFT FOR ME TO DO BUT DANCE

That song is legitimately a bar setter. The bassline absolutely shreds and it's countered by killer vocals with technical melodies. And it's high bpm. The only complaint you could make about canned heat is it's compression kills the soul of the individual instruments. But from a composition perspective I don't think a better pop song has ever been written. Michael should have fucking killed himself when they put that out.

It is a great tune in all fairness. The extended version with the strings in the intro and the string instrumental towards the end is particularly good.

Shame these days a lot of people only appreciate it because "it's that song from Napoleon Dynamite."

The albun version is the only one worth listening to. They break down the song like 4 times and show that every section would have been good on it's own let alone in combination. They show that they could have had an entirely different melody and it would have still worked and the bass player seems to have a limitless ammount of good fills.

Bruno Mars should kill himself for putting out a record in competition.

The odd thing about Jamiroquai is their lack of fame in the states. I have a feeling that at some point Jay Kay was a dickhead to a music executive here and murdered his US career.

Only the ones that try to keep up with trends. The guys that stick to their original sound seem to age pretty well.

>what is mike gira

I do feel that Uptown Funk took a lot of influence from it, along with the 70s funk artists like Nile Rodgers and George Clinton et all.

Like I say, it seems like Americans only know that song for Napoleon Dynamite.

Because popular musicians start out by clinging to a trend and getting lucky, but as they age, they get rich, lose touch and become irrelevant. They turn into tryhards clinging to fame and youth.

Jazz and classical musicians are the opposite. They start out as tryhards, but they learn and grow and eventually become good as they age.

Bjork was never good though.

As you get older your brain starts to deteriorate. Creativity (and memory) seems to be the first thing to go.

t. getting older

Any critic who doesn’t rate Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On at least an A- is a fucking hack with no soul

Nice meloncore

Being a high school senior isn't exactly old though.

Even if you don’t like radiohead you have to admit there’s never really been a quality drop in their music. They’re crazy consistent for 20+ years.

I dunno, Frank Sinatra managed to release interesting material in every decade of his career and Trilogy and She Shot Me Down were quite major undertakings for a guy who was over 60.

Creativity runs out m8
either you try different things and they fail horribly or you do the same thing your entire career ala AC/DC or Radiohead

I wouldn't say they got better but they're still putting out really good shit.

scary monsters and super creeps

Plenty of less commercial artists managed to remain artistically capable after 40.

"If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you think you were?"

Scott Walker ?!?!?
youtube.com/watch?v=ToWt5TXQ6LM

>Scott Walker
He went from brilliant songwriting to literal wankery. Don't lie.

you have absolute garbage taste

Bowie and Cave definitely got worse with age. Agreed on the others though.

the Notwist

Worth noting this was not always the case. Classical composers would write hundreds of hours of music their entire lives and never seemed to slow down. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to that but clearly you can see back then they wrote tons of more music without nearly as much degradation in quality.

no

I saw Bowie in the 90s opening for Nine Inch Nails and he was beyond washed up at that time.

Agreed, i personally loved his Holy Diver album

wait, they still release stuff?