Why are guitar solos so rare among contemporary rock bands?

It seems like alternative/rock bands these days are more bothered about using effects than actual instrumental ability.

Not counting The Strokes, QOTSA, Muse and whatever Jack White's current project is as they're more defined by their 2000s work.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ycYewhiaVBk
youtube.com/watch?v=7pFdkkjGiEs
youtube.com/watch?v=eOb5jgPTv-c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because any show of technical force is considered 'pretentious' these days

cause they cant play their instruments well at all

Only because nobody will ever be Jimi Hendrix

No reason to go backwards in time.. you can do so much inside computers today. Hendrix would not be the guitar hero he is if he were born 50 years later

>putting Hendrix on an unreachable pedestal
go to bed granddad

Hendrix was not a particularly good guitar player even in his days, not even top 10 technically, he's overrated cause he's black。

Hendrix born in 1990 would have been a Rapper.

Prove me wrong.

SRV made solos the most buttrocky aspect of any rock and roll genre

EVH did that

>Hendrix would not be the guitar hero he is if he were born 50 years later
He's not putting him on a pedestal; he's suggesting that with the availability of increasingly complex audio software, works made by virtuosity alone (e.g. guitar solos) are not as unique or interesting given the amount of work put in compared to what is possible electronically.

Jack white put a solo on that atcq album idk

in general it's just not trendy

>technically
There's your problem. Try listening to music for the cathartic effect, not the technicality.
Hendrix isn't considered the best because his playing was complex or deeply technical.

The sharp increase in ADHD levels (under 25s mainly) means they can't practice long enough to attain the skills needed. They are literally mentally deficient.

Research it.

I know he wasn't.. i was making the same point as you

Lol

>cathartic effect
in that regard Roger Waters is better than him

whoops i r dumb

>EVH did that

Wasn't his fault.

First VH album is one of the greatest albums of any genre. Eddie was TOO good and every cunt copied him. They still do.

Technic is cathartic to me, hence why Jimmy and the Hendrixes don't do it for me, I hate his sound.

>Hendrix would not be the guitar hero he is if he were born 50 years later

Horseshit statement. He was a star because he did what he did first. If he did it first tomorrow, he would be a star.

Innovation will always rise to the top.

solos are just masturbatory

I just want to get into the meat and potatoes

>only want meat and potatoes
problem is most modern 'rock' acts have no meat to them at all or if they do it's utter garbage

What are your favorite rock albums from last year, user?

>dude just make my shitty playing sound good with effects LOL
You know how I can tell you're not a musician?

For you.

Depends on if songs are made where a solo fits in without it sounding tacked on.
I've done songs with solos before but I like using more fills than entire solos like short bursts of something cool that doesn't ware out its welcome especially on pop songs.

doesn't take a lot of skill to do 8th note power chords with a chorus effect on

Doesn't take a lot of skill to play Smoke on the Water, know how I can tell you're not a musician?

Pretty sure there's a couple on The National's Sleep Well Beast

yeah but Smoke on the Water has a solo in it
doesn't matter if it's an easy solo, it's harder than power chords

Anyone that's played guitar for 2 years can play a solo

yeah and anybody thats played guitar for like 10 minutes can do 8th note power chords

Show me a modern celebrated rock album where the guitarist is as shitty as you're implying

>implying there are any celebrated modern rock albums
Rock is a dead genre on the same level as country

Nah man, I tried to get my girl to play because she seemed optimistic for it once. She couldn't even do 'Smoke on the Water' after 30 minutes

I actually try to listen to what comes out, and you really sound like an exaggerating studiophobic rockist that can't prove anything.

you sure she isn't retarded?

show me a celebrated rock album then

that's fucking stupid here's your (you) and your buttmad response

Actually replying to the OP...

I feel that whenever I see jam bands that still do extended solos it's just weird and lame. It distracts from the cohesion of the work.

Solos were a technique for a time when pop music was dominated by heavy structure and to offset the need for vocals to dominate every segment something very loud and attention grabbing was needed to keep people listening when the singer wasn't yelling at you. So the guitar yells at you instead. And in a jam setting this lead might get tossed from guitarist to keyboardist to bassist to whatever, where there's only one instrument you really 'listen' to while the rest relay repetitive rhythms.

This kinda sucks. Counter this with a post rock track where changes in riff and rhythm attempt to change the mood of their instrument alone rather than direct all attention, and multiple instruments can make their own 'individual songs' and coherently tie them together. Arguably that takes much more skill and creates a more technically astounding effect than soloing alone.

wears band t shirts from artists she's never heard of. I just don't think she's cut for music

Thinking of getting into this 'post rock'. Where do I start?

So upset.. here's your guys dad

Post a better guitar solo from this decade

youtube.com/watch?v=ycYewhiaVBk

Assuming you're not being sarcastic...

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Explosions in the Sky
Mogwai
This Will Destroy You
Caspian
Toe

Thanks. Been trying out the new albums all based on 4 generic genres, but wanted to try something completely different.

Post rock is very easy to get sucked into with a lot of its bands usually playing 6-10 minute tracks, and the good ones all trying to build a unique style. I listened to basically that genre alone for nearly 3 years.

Some of it's crap, and maybe it'll take you a while to realize what's an easily-produced copycat and what's actually good. But the sound verges into sections of metal, orchestral, drone, math rock, jazz, or noise rock in ways that a lot of other genres can't really achieve such a widespread diversity in.

It is all a result of straying from traditional forms that were established by jazz. Early Rock and Roll was much closer to jazz in form in which it mainly followed ABA or some variation. This form entailed a head or main melody beginning the song, sometimes followed by a second theme. From there the changes from the A section (usually) were used for improv. The lack of guitar solos or solos in general does not stem from a lack of ability or even lack of knowledge for that matter. Rather a sidetrack from traditional jazz based musical form and a desire to sound less antiquated. Then again this also explains why contemporary rock was a mistake to begin with as jazz is objectively the logical conclusion to western music and to bastardize it within rock and roll (a subgenre of jazz) is a disgrace

why even listen to instrument-produced music then? Go and listen to bleep bloop impossible-to-physically-play music and enjoy the catharsis.

I decided to give ''Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven'' as listen since I'm familiar with it's name and cover. 15 Minutes in and I'm liking it already.

GY!BE isn't super similar to a lot of the other acts I listed, but that album is an undeniable masterpiece.

For stuff more similar to it, if you really like it, I'd rec Grails, Earth, Young Team by Mogwai, Soundtracks for the Blind by Swans, Silver Mt. Zion, or Have a Nice Life.

MONO are also good, Hymn to the Immortal Wind in particular.

Try listening to the music instead of looking at the cover and deciding you don't like it

He had a wonderful sense of music composition. That alone makes up for technical capability.
But you want a guitarist that can do both and is currently still alive who's better than Hendrix could have ever hoped to be? Buck Dharma is your guy.
youtube.com/watch?v=7pFdkkjGiEs

solos are fun
youtube.com/watch?v=eOb5jgPTv-c

My dad is a Hendrix loving pleb so I grew up listening to him and the Jimmy Hendrix Experience

Or literally 3/4 of the rock guitarists of the time。

Couldn't Stand the Weather [Epic, 1984]

The problem with guitar virtuosos is that most of them wouldn't know a good musical concept if they tripped over it, which happens just often enough to keep everyone confused. The exception that proves not a damn thing is Jimi Hendrix, the finest guitarist in any idiom ever. Though he comes close sometimes, this Texan ain't Hendrix. But between earned Jimi cover and lyric refreshment, album two is almost everything a reasonable person might hope from him: a roadhouse album with gargantuan sonic imagination. B+

You're retarded if you think Hendrix isn't properly rated