/classical/

Post classical music anecdotes.

Poll: strawpoll.me/14919022

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. is kill. rip Papillons
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #7. kill
>General Folder #8. The user who made this loves the yellow piss of DG on his face. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z6WSLG5r-wE
youtube.com/watch?v=FqH6iySRQvg
youtube.com/watch?v=LsCn8lbRG3I
youtube.com/watch?v=ji6_6soqtNk
youtube.com/watch?v=331wSgUZ7xs
youtube.com/watch?v=vFIFMPY9YjQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Ie52xH8V2L4
youtube.com/watch?v=WlFYC1U5viw
youtube.com/watch?v=b-DqO_D1g1g
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
youtube.com/watch?v=J_36x1_LKgg
youtube.com/watch?v=zad7fkhGzzs
rkursem.com/poll/view.php?id=b85b9e778628f3251
youtube.com/watch?v=hjPL1lGv0m0
youtube.com/watch?v=zucBfXpCA6s
youtube.com/watch?v=REqFSOu0Frg
youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08
youtube.com/watch?v=iB85fg53Zt8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>tfw you were born in 1995 and not 1950 whatever so you couldn't breed prime qt Martha

youtube.com/watch?v=z6WSLG5r-wE

What does /classical/ think of this perfomance? Is it worthy?

>that kid in class who would go to the library every break to sit alone and listen to music
hahaha...

Pretty much everything I hate about music in one video, cool.

Please take your pop muzak elsewhere

I just walked the school corridors up and down, is that better?

just listen to the fuck you like and stop being a nigger.

thank you

what if the fuck you like makes you a nigger?

Bruckner

youtube.com/watch?v=FqH6iySRQvg

>poll implying that modern classical and jazz are shit
>pussied out of including Brahms, Rachmaninoff, and Ravel as they were among the highest voted for being unworthy of discussion in the last thread
Goddamn soyboys

Oh I was willing to include Rachmaninoff (whom I detest) and even Ravel and Stravinsky but Brahms was going to have a proviso like "(choose this and your mother will die a gruesome and untimely death)" or something. In a perfect world anyone who disliked Brahms should have their IP banned. But ultimately there weren't enough legitimately bad (or at least controversial) composers until I came back and the thread autosaged. Also it was boring because half the time it was just me adding names. Overall it was a failed experiment because apparently now /classical/ is so chock full of idiots someone will actually come to the defense of Whitacre. You guys suck and I hate you.

>Ravel
Best song Bolero

Actually the initial plan was to list every composer I could think of for the poll but it seemed like I would inevitably forget some names and that the list would be too long anyway, where I once had faith that tried and true names like Brahms or Stravinsky could be safely ommitted from a blacklist. And thus I opted for the protocol I did to make the process less arbitrary but you robbed it, you all screwed me again.

This, prog without a backing track isn't classical as Zappa proves in spades.

I should like to request that all those in this thread who underrate the works of Frederick Chopin would see to it to put an end to their own lives with due haste. Much obliged.

I would have to hope that there was just one guy spamming Ravel over and over. Even if you hate Ravel how can you not hate Debussy more?

*awkwardly glissandos behind you*

heh nothin' personal kid

haha fag cry more

>shitpin

Alright you fucking snobby "patricians"

if you hate these meme composers so much

name ONE good composer

Bach

john zorn, glenn branca, friedrich nietzsche

*arpeggiates secondary dominant seventh and borrowed chords*

anyone besides Ravel and Mozart

how they frauded their way into repertoire is anyone's guess

trips confirm

why didn't anybody tell me that late liszt is incredible

I dunno, its disappointing how its all piano works and maybe the odd chorale

>Mozart

Pls Mozart was better than his contemporaries for several reasons.
>His structure was really well proportioned, and he maintained that rigorously into his 20s.
>His melodic structure was extremely efficient compared with his contemporaries, and this is part of the reason why his music is so difficult to play. Every note has a function, which means if you fuck up a single note, an entire phrase can go kaput.
>Incorporated many elements of other music styles, like elements from Baroque writing (as an example, the importance placed on harmonic progressions that are balanced), but also from contemporaries (he definitely understood Haydn's later style and built upon it, especially in the areas of harmonic expansion).
>He had the good fortune of being born in a generation when the fortepiano was being perfected. This ancestor of the modern instrument we know today was capable of producing enough sound to be heard in rooms larger than a house, with extremely subtle differentiation made to areas such as articulation and volume control. Thus, he could write more complex and varied piano pieces, which he also performed himself, and this increased his name and reputation.

youtube.com/watch?v=LsCn8lbRG3I

why the fuck would late Liszt be played on a pianofarty?

i like les preludes. is there anything similar?

Parsifal

that's a copypasta you motherfucker

isn't that wagner? i mean something short, I don't want to be committed for 5h

But it's still correct.

Havergal Brian Gothic symphony

Sorabji Organ symphony No.2

What?

>Sorabji
>similar to anyone

>actually too soy to enjoy Brahms
I legitimately feel bad for you.

>inb4 i was juste meeming dude

>respecting a "composer" who never wrote a single work without a piano

Because you can't read? I literally post "Liszt is underrated" every day.

The three B's
Bach
Beethoven
Brahms

Can't you just let people add their own choices to the poll?

>Ravel
I can understand the hate. His work is extremely uneven and I truly abhor some of his (((jazz)))-inspired works.

actual pleb bastard here who knows only vivaldi and the music played in amadeus. Please recommend me some classical music fit for my disgusting pleb tastes and ears, thanks

>Post classical music anecdotes.
I have lots. When Peter Maxwell Davies gave a lecture at my uni the year before he died he sperged out because not enough people showed up and was an asshole during the question period.

Redpill me on Sorabji people

welcome son
youtube.com/watch?v=ji6_6soqtNk

Start with the Greeks

youtube.com/watch?v=331wSgUZ7xs
youtube.com/watch?v=vFIFMPY9YjQ

>redpill me on (piano-composer)
hack

youtube.com/watch?v=Ie52xH8V2L4
youtube.com/watch?v=WlFYC1U5viw
youtube.com/watch?v=b-DqO_D1g1g
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
youtube.com/watch?v=J_36x1_LKgg

user pls

no, someone has to compile the poll. There's no shared poll creation option on strawpoll.

he should have said Mozart instead of Brahms.

best Bernstein quote: I bet Wagner was a great fucker, as he wrote so fucking good music

use a better poll site then

thank you friends

pretty similar to a retarded Messiaen desu

I bet Wagner was a great fucked, as he fucked up music

the first composer that gets banned i'm posting them

I heard Liszt was getting banned...

Why would that even be an option on any of them?

Why does the fuck does skill at the keyboard have any bearing on compositional prowess?

Is there a Sup Forums compilation of recommendations of where to get started on classical? I have always liked it broadly but would like to start somewhere. The sticky doesn't seem to have one.

start here

because basically you can't even work stuff out on a keyboard. Its no coincidence that almost every canonical composer was at least a passable pianist and most of them were in fact virtuosos.

Wagner, Berlioz, Schoenberg and Ravel couldn't play any instrument well

because the piano is built according to music theory, not the other way round as almost any other instrument

All names that were put forward for blacklisting, hmm

Brahms was a concert pianist

welcome to the thread stravinsky

thoughts on Deutscher?

youtube.com/watch?v=zad7fkhGzzs

she could block my path any time
I appreciate a good discourse on the relative merits of aesthetic traditionalism

for the exact reason that we need it. supply and demand.

Here's one I made where you can enter your own choice:

VOTE ON WHICH COMPOSER YOU WANT TO BAN

I vote to ban faggots who want to ban composers

I am learning to read sheet music for the piano and I want something to play that's suitable for a beginner (note that I am fairly decent at piano techinque, it's the sheet reading that's the challenge here) but is still good music. Up until now I've been playing the accompanying pieces for recorded music girlfriend plays, Bach and Händel mostly, and some folk tunes.
I would appreciate some recommendations.

I personally admire her because she is just pissing the fuck out of musical modernists. the normies love her and the elites go "REEEEE YOU CAN'T WRITE LIKE THAT ANYMORE YOU FUCKING VIVALDI LOVING FAGGOT!!!". the kind of people who write modern classical are just music majors who are obsessed with being musical rather than just loving music. they're so desperate to stand out just to make a living that they feel like they have to be constantly trying to "reinvent" the genre in order to cause a scene and get people paying attention to them. they do not really care about good music. they only care about seeming like they do.

>"oh yeah, but modern music can be good!"

the very fact that people have to argue that it CAN be good instead of it just being obviously good from the getgo show that it is just one big larp. it's like sorting through a dumpster and finding a busted up phone from 2005 and saying "this phone is comparatively better than the rest of the trash in this dumpster so i'm going to enjoy it".

youtube.com/watch?v=hjPL1lGv0m0

try this

youtube.com/watch?v=zucBfXpCA6s

yes, this is going swimmingly so far

So you don't admire her at all.
You just believe modernists are being btfo by her and you are vicariously enjoying their imagined anger. Quick call me a triggered modernist to make yourself feel better.

But the most beautiful work of all is a 20th century piece

youtube.com/watch?v=REqFSOu0Frg

>t. triggered modernist

feel better about what? did you rebut or something?

that's not the St. Matthew Passion

do i have to play it backwards and upside down to reveal the hidden masterpiece or something?

No, you just have to recognize the incredible circumstances surrounding its composition and its likely divine inspiration.

BERLIOZ

he sucks. Melodramatc sociopathic faggot

actually you need to recognize the incredible circumstances behind this wonderful avant garde masterpiece.

youtube.com/watch?v=-gPuH1yeZ08

it's harsh at first, but don't let that deter you. it took me three full listenings to realize the true genius of the piece. the dissonant clunking and chattering of the background noises echo the desperate wails of the voice championing against the oppressive capitalist system we live in. the intentionally cliched melodies and seemingly paradoxical opposition of genres between the voice and it's melody create an offputting and gritty texture that symbolizes the agony of being forced to live a life not surrounded by you. the harsh, muddled texture of seemingly (although not really) random instruments symbolize the hastily put-togetherness of life in the city. the holiday themed interludes are a haunting reminder of the temporary solace the holidays bring, allowing us to forget about the non stop, agonizing life we are too calloused to be bothered by any more. the end of each interlude serves as a reminder of the ultimate comerciality of these holidays as they trick us into forgetting just how hard our lives really are.

Hey your best bet is to familiarize yourself with every major period and style of classical music.

A super incomplete list of most well-known or most-discussed pieces (not necessarily the best) would be

Bach
>Tocatta and Fugue in D
>Goldberg variations
>St. Matthew Passion

Mozart
>The Magic Flute
>Don Giovanni
>Piano Concerto 20 & 21
>Symphony 40

Beethoven
>Sonata 14 - Moonlight
>Sonata 23 - Appassionata
>Symphony 3
>Symphony 5
>Symphony 9

Mendelssohn
>Symphony 3
>Symphony 5
>Songs Without Words
>Midsummer Night's Dream

Brahms
>Symphony 1
>Tragic Overture
>Trio for Horn, Piano, and Violin

Wagner
>Tristan and Isolde

Mussgorsky
>Pictures at an Exhibition
>Night on Bald Mountain

Rimsky-Korsakov
>Scheherazade

Mahler
>Symphony 1
>Symphony 2
>Symphony 6

Debussy
>Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun
>La Mer

Stravinsky
>Firebird
>Petrushka
>The Rite of Spring
>Pulcinella

Ravel
>Pavane for a Dead Princess
>String Quartet 1
>Bolero

Shostakovich
>Cello concerto 1 & 2
>Symphony 4
>Symphony 5
>Symphony 7

grow up. Its not like you cross some kind of magic forcefield at the turn of the century that makes the creation of good music impossible.

youtube.com/watch?v=iB85fg53Zt8

It will really get your noggin joggin

>Mussorgsky

and you lost me