>one hit wonder band

the AIDS taking hold.

Twistin' 'round the fire
Havin' fun
Bakin' potatoes
Bakin' in the sun

>he doesn't realise that their self-titled is a Zolo masterpiece

>zolo

Still they made more than just a "one hit wonder" which I presume you think its Love Shack. Rock Lobster and Private Idaho were hits already.

no, i'm a different user. i just hate the term zolo

JUST
U
S
T

The B-52's [Warner Bros., 1979]

Fond as I am of the pop junk they recycle--with love and panache, like the closet ecologists they are--there's something parochially suburban about turning it into the language of a world view. So I'm more delighted with their rhythms, which show off their Georgia roots by adapting the innovations of early funk (a decade late, just like the Stones and Chicago blues) to an endlessly danceable forcebeat format. Also delightful is their commitment to sexual integration--Cindy Wilson is singing more and more, although her voice occasionally gives out before her ambitions do. Major worry: only one of the copyright 1979 songs--my favorite track, "Dance This Mess Around"--is as amazing as the 1978 stuff. A

Wild Planet [Warner Bros., 1980]

I keep waiting for number two to come through on the dance floor the way the debut did, but "Party out of Bounds" and "Quiche Lorraine" are expert entertainments at best and the wacko parochialism of "Private Idaho" is a positive annoyance. Only on "Devil in My Car" and "Give Me Back My Man" do they exploit the potential for meaning--cosmic and emotional, respectively--that accrues to the world's greatest new-wave kiddie-novelty disco-punk band. B+

Party Mix [Warner Bros., 1981]

Six remixes, three from album two on side one and vice versa. Its implicit equation of party and disco offends old new-wavers, but at EP list for half an hour's music the extravagance is recommended. Hyped sound doesn't hurt this music, the stretches revolve around breaks or sound effects silly enough to belong, and two of the remakes are condensations. Fess up--wouldn't you love to own a "Dance This Mess Around" that begins "I'm not no limburger"? A-

She hasn't aged all that badly. I've seen much worse.

wtf is wrong with him

nigga on the right look like a baby turtle exploring the world for the first time

There first two albums was great because a majority of the material were things they had been playing for years prior to releasing those albums. It all went downhill though when
Ricky Wilson died. He was a phenomenal guitar player.

youtube.com/watch?v=6NuV-cCuK2A

i still have a soft spot for Mesopotemia even though David Byrne worked on it

yeah it's like billy zoom leaving x or peter laughner and pere ubu, a lot of these bands are really just driven by one good musician

The B-52's had two good musicians. Keith Strickland is a great drummer, but he switched to guitar after Ricky's death because they couldn't stand the thought of getting some random to replace him.

Uhhhhh Cocaine

the thing is keith alone wasn't good enough to make convincing songs. but yeah, maybe their interplay had a part

I think it had more to do with the first two albums being mostly comprised of material they had been playing live for years.

odd that the two least show-off members were the best

For an opinionated clown he gets it right once in a while. Like rolling 2 dice and getting a 12.

Keith and Ricky were basically responsible for all the music on Whammy! Make of that what you will. The band was already in a pretty bad state by the time of Bouncing off the Satellites; they had difficulty writing songs and had to bring in unused solo tracks (Housework, Juicy Jungle) to finish the album.

youtu.be/9SOryJvTAGs?t=1m10s

Explain this.

this is interesting, where can i read about behind the scenes of their albums? when did ricky die exactly, right after Whammy sessions? During Bouncing sessions? In between?

>where can i read about behind the scenes of their albums?
Unfortunately, the info isn't easy to find. I've pieced together what I know from Wikipedia, gear sites, interviews and even the odd YouTube comment. I wish there was a real forum or fansite to discuss this band. There's this one book on Amazon, but it's going for no less than $150 (yikes.)
amazon.com/B-52s-Universe-Essential-Worlds-Greatest/dp/0965274594

>when did ricky die exactly, right after Whammy sessions? During Bouncing sessions? In between?
Right after the recording sessions for Bouncing, apparently. It still sounds like an unfinished album, IMO.

The aging process is kicking in and they tried to stop it but it is only bogging them down

Juicy Jungle was rejected song?

Bah, i love it.

>There first two albums was great because a majority of the material were things they had been playing for years prior to releasing those albums

This seemed to be a persistent problem with New Wave bands. It affected Blondie, Devo, and the Cars as well. They started off strong with material they'd been playing live and perfecting for years, then when they ran out of stockpiled songs, their albums fell flat.

I didn't realize but she was younger than the rest of the band by several years. Kate Pierson has almost a full decade on her.

That's why they made her the focal point of the band early on, she was young and cute and added more sex appeal than Kate who was already over 30 when they came out with their debut album.

Keith had been playing guitar and keyboard and writing with Ricky all along in reality of course. Which is to say Keith lost his writing partner more than Keith replaced Ricky as such.

Don Was and Nile Rogers both thought Keith was a pretty good musician, that obviously didn't happen overnight.

Sort of the Stevie Nicks effect?

Not really seeing as to how Cindy was the little sister of the guitarist. Stevie Nicks definitely was a case of shopping around for a young, cute woman for sex appeal.

I really don't think thats true.
Cosmic Thing is a brilliant record and was a massive hit.

>being this retarded

>YOUR NUMBER'S BEEN DISCONNECTED

nah, it's basically just a couple singles, and those don't have nearly the brilliance of their debut

It really isn't. There were four singles off it anyhow (Channel Z, Loveshack, Deadbeat Club and Roam) and none of them are the best track (Topaz). I could do without Bushfire and Junebug but thats about it. Follow Your Bliss is in a long tradition of B-52s instrumentals so not really up for debate.

I've never quite been able to get into New Wave, the songs are usually too sarcastic and snarklord for my taste, it reminds you of some wiseguy 13 year old.

>you will never do the shookaloo with Cindy Wilson

she's 60 what did you expect

For being almost 70, Kate looks amazing.

Yeah, that's why critics loved it. They like snarky, self-aware, deconstructivist music and art.

Kids who listened to metal usually became normal blue collar kinds of people with a 9-5 job and a family. Kids who listened to alternative/punk music became depressed losers on antidepressants and feminist cat ladies.

That and they like music that has a vaguely comforting, retro sound (as was the case with the B-52s). Black Sabbath riffs were too scary for Christgau et al.

Man, I wish she wouldve just let herself age instead of taking the plastic surgery route.

>Kids who listened to alternative/punk music became depressed losers on antidepressants and feminist cat ladies
Or they...but this isn't Sup Forums so I won't.

I find the B-52s kind of hard to appreciate. Maybe if they had a better sense of melody...

So basically you're saying metal is for people with double digit IQs who aren't fit for anything but grunt labor and people who actually went to college listen to alternative music. I see.

LMFAOOOOOO

And nice 52nd post in here. :^)

Devo had slightly better songs and easily a better sense of melody, but the B-52s had waifus so take your pick.

>Devo had slightly better songs and easily a better sense of melody, but the B-52s had waifus so
Sup Forums, I just want to let you know I hate you with all my heart.

quints!!!!

kek

He expects every celebrity to be a botox Frankenstein.

Cindy had that cute girl-next-door look. Debbie Harry came off as a little too trashy and, uh, experienced?

lal

It’s called the Sophomore Curse, and it’s affected thousands of bands, not just the New Wave ones.
As the old music industry saying goes
>you have your whole life to make your first record
>you have six months to make your second

That’s a hell of a turnaround, and lots of people can’t deal with it.

And in Metallica's case, once the stockpiled Mustaine and Cliff Burton tapes were used up...

...they started sounding better, with better songwriting and less overly pretentious wanking?
Newsted era Metallica a best.

Get off of Sup Forums, Lars.

I STILL WANT THE MONEY YOU THIEVING NAPSTER FUCKS STOLE FROM ME

HE FUCKING LEFT THE BAND

Or, you know, solo Beatles once they ran out of leftover material.

Id rather do the Dirty Dog with her

>he doesn't recognize Cosmic Thing as a master work in groove and funk

>bogging them down
accurate

pleb

youtube.com/watch?v=QfQVWZxjeh4

Cindy and Kate's vocal harmonies are god-tier only a pleb would disagree

their debut album is the best New Wave album ever

> parochial parochial parochial parochial