Why do American restaurants rely so heavily on tips?

Why do American restaurants rely so heavily on tips?

In my opinion the workers should be able to have a wage that is livable without guests tipping them.

shud up fugging gommie :DDD

You could pay every single waiter like 1000$ an hour yet they will stll spit your food if you don't tip 15%+

>refuse to tip an american
>he sues me

>waiter doesn't even make the food
>insult the chef, the restaurant and the client by spitting in the food
Seriously, they should be fired and sued if they do.

Because its part of our culture. I worked as a server during college and was able to make some really good money.

Tipping is polite and respectful, for you are tipping them for their service. You Europeans just don't understand that when you come and visit my country. Some of you do tip now though when you come to the states, so thats good!

Better serve the food really fast or I'll spit in my tip.

Spitting in your food never happens man. I guess there are some instances, but man i worked in the industry for like 8 years during college, and never even remotely saw an instance like this.

I think some Mexicans do it though, they are usually in the back cleaning and preparing the food.

That's a nice opinion you have there dude. But when a American tell you his opinion about your country try not to throw back a tantrum

The mentality goes if you work at a place where the wage is $1000 then the clients must be ungodly rich so that means your tips should be ungodly high as well.

Also the waiter would mostl ikely bitch about something either way. Fuck sales some high schooler back in my HS days bitched about her tips and the teacher called her out because after asking everyone's average earnings she outstripped everyone hard.

We used to do that too. Now when you tip it's when the service was good.

Interesting, do you folks tip for around 15% of the bill?

In the states you tip between 10%-20% of the bill depending on the service.

To leave no tip at all is considered very rude. Ive been "stiffed" a few times, and its usually by middle easterners/indians/black people.

The best tippers in the states are White people (not including Europeans) and Asians. When i saw White or Asian families come into my section, i would give them my best service.

In the Netherlands the tipping goes from rounding the number up, to 50 cents to 2 euros or so.

Although some people give a bigger tip if they spend a long time in the evening in restaurants.
But it won't exceed 10%. And it won't exceed 8 euros either. So your more likely to get 4 to 6 euros.

Why should I tip a waiter? Do you tip the postman? The librarian? The store clerk? Stop being a greedy cunt. I never tip a fucking penny.

>their service
You realise you have an employer who's supposed to be paying you for your service, right?

>Do you tip the postman? The librarian? The store clerk? Stop being a greedy cunt. I never tip a fucking penny.

Servers get paid minimum wage in the states and rely on tips to earn a living. i understand that is not the case in Europe, but in the states its considered very rude not to tip.

So if you get confronted by a server for being a complete dick during the dinning experience and then you stiff them, the server has a right to be frustrated with you. If your going to shaft your server, try not to be needy then.

Tipping is part of our culture.

No we just tip around 5€
do you calculate your order to know the 15%? that's weird

Interesting, well we don't really calculate. I mean 15% of 100 is 15$ if the bill is lower then that we just do it in our heads.

Tipping came from the prohibition era. Bar owners had to go underground and the only way they could keep their staff was by having "tips". It has been carried on ever since.

Personally I fucking hate tipping. Though I do like stiffing them on their tip if they did a shit job. I also don't feel bad doing it since most of them don't even report it on their taxes. I knew a few girls who did that.

The prospect of getting a decent tip encourages the waiter to not fuck up and serve you promptly and without complaint. It also gives you the option to punish them for poor service. I went to a few restaurants in France and Italy and most of the servers were aloof and could barely be fucked to do anything beyond the bare minimum of their jobs. Because deep down, they knew they were getting paid all the same regardless of the effort they put into doing their jobs.

the only tip we give is when they don't have the rest so we leave them something. Leaving high tips is vulgar and for people with no class like burgers.

Here tips are untaxed for the employer. Considering the employer usually takes care of
all income taxes and government insurances, most waiters aren't even aware they have to report the tips to the tax agency. Because normally you only confirm the tax report of your employer once a year and done. You don't really do your own taxes in that regard. So you can't expect waiters to know they should report it.

It started out as a generous tradition but then it got taken over by greedy fucks that want you to pay their employees for them.

No here people know if you have brought money in, in any form that you need to report it. Also like I said I knew a few waitresses and I was driving one home and she was chuckling about it.

You silly Brazilian, that's not how Sup Forums works!

Here's something a lot of Americans don't even realize. Many states require by law that the employer pay the server a decent minimum wage.

When you add in the tips, my lazy high-school drop out sister is making $30 an hour to take food to a table. Tipping is ridiculous and needs to stop.

>$30 an hour
So, I have a master degree in law. Maybe I should move to the USA to start a career as a waiter.

You could just pick your state wisely. Having a slight dutch accent will get you an extra $5 per hour.

I have a masters in physics by the way, and I'm not earning as much as my sister.

>I went to a few restaurants in France and Italy and most of the servers were aloof and could barely be fucked to do anything beyond the bare minimum of their jobs. Because deep down, they knew they were getting paid all the same regardless of the effort they put into doing their jobs

I understand it is part of your system of beliefs regarding economy but this is just false, most servers in France try to do their best.

>Leaving high tips is vulgar and for people with no class like burgers.

>another thread about america
O B S E S S E D
B
S
E
S
S
E
D

I'm currently at around 18,50 euros an hour.

Employers pay below minimum wage.

If they don't make at least minimum in tips they can request the amount from the employer.

Obviously the employer could try and fire them, but they would be fucked sideways in court.

I don't tip by the way.

No joke, depending on the restaurant you work at, you can make some huge money. Ive made 360 dollars in one night. My brother has made 780 dollars in one night working at a restaurant in San Francisco.

Some people i know who work at high end restaurants as a bartender make around $500 EACH night.

Some restaurant jobs in the states are no joke.

>I don't tip by the way.

Then don't go out to restaurants.

Kill yourself, tipping is for fools.

Yeah, what a fucking asshole. If everyone was like him the waiters would have to go back to their deadbeat law careers again.

/thread

Tipping is only for when the service was good. When the waiter was a cunt and I had to wait 10 minutes for them to even notice me and bring me a menu, they won't get shit.

Why do Australian restaurants rely so heavily on penalty rates?

In my opinion the workers should be able to have a wage that is livable without working on weekends.

Don't go out to restaurants if you can't afford it dip shits.

Because Americans think giving people money is the same as being a good person.
Idk if they have them in Norway but in parts of the US, and also Canada, Uk and elsewhere there is "professional beggars", people who have homes and food and make quite a good living as beggars.

If I'm paying with cash, I usually round it up to the nearest 5 or 10 since I don't want to wait for them to go grab exact change and carrying a whole lot of small bills around is annoying

Don't employ people if you can't afford it.

during the great depression restaurant owners couldn't offer competitive prices and pay their servers well at the same time, so they invented tipping.

fast forward nearly 100 years and....

Its because of prohibition law that was passed in 1918.