That's it, I've finished my first EP with my sister, and I'd love some feedback: '60s/'70s-ish sound, lots of harmonies...

That's it, I've finished my first EP with my sister, and I'd love some feedback: '60s/'70s-ish sound, lots of harmonies, very Beatles/Who/Floyd inspired. Not very original, I know, but hey you gotta start somewhere.

It's only 20 minutes long, Sup Forums, don't let me down.

youtube.com/watch?v=I7nQqe891mU

Other urls found in this thread:

fliim.fanlink.to/FliimSound-ep-1
varietyofsound.wordpress.com/
bedroomproducersblog.com/.
soundonsound.com/,
soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-why-should-reverbs-be-send-effects
soundonsound.com/techniques/using-aux-sends-returns
soundonsound.com/techniques/use-reverb-pro-1
soundonsound.com/techniques/send-effects-more-reverb-delay
dropbox.com/s/ovvndk0y0kncvvd/crap rough bounce of 1.wav?dl=0
fliimsound.bandcamp.com/releases)
fliim.fanlink.to/FliimSound-ep-1)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hey this is pretty good, not cringe at all

I'm grooving OP, this is not bad at all. like you said, not very original but for a first EP it's pretty good. the production is decent too, even if a little dry for my taste

Thanks dude ! It's fucking nerve-racking to show your music to the world while waiting to be ripped to shreds

>TFW no qt music loving sister to make retro pop music with

Why even live Sup Forums

Also this is pretty good OP

I don't really have any suggestions because for what it is it's very excellent quality.

Thanks! What do you mean by "dry"? The vocals? (I avoided putting too much reverb because indie bands nowadays use it a lot)

this is really sweet
puts a smile on my face, good work

cute, I like it

I'm actually surprised by how good this is damn, I just added it to my apple music. If you guys have the drive to get more experimental and push your music further in the future I'll definitely keep an eye out for you guys. I'll show it to my friends too I know theyll love it. Really good shit

I wouldn't say she's a QT, but she's a guitar-playing French girl so that's not too bad. Thanks for the nice words man

This is great man. How long have you been working on this? It sounds professional as hell.

Cheers! Yeah we want to go more experimental at some point, while keeping a pop side. Really, Pink Floyd is what we aim for in terms of complex music/groovy music ratio. Make it interesting and layered, but not boring, you know?

the vocals are fine, it's mainly the guitar. it needs more body and doesn't really stand out against the vocals, it just sort of blends into the background. maybe that's what you were going for.
overall if you were avoiding reverb and going for a clean, dry sound, it's a successful attempt

I like it. Not a lot of room ambience due to ya'lls limited studio but it gives it that endearing close up sound

yeah the productions sounds excellent, especially from what you were working with judging from your studio pic

>EP with my sister
Nope, not listening to this shit
>very Beatles/Who/Floyd inspired
Are you even an artist or did your mom make you do this to present your bible studies group?

just kidding, I'll listen to it if you post it in a bandcamp/soundcloud/youtube thread. Don't make a thread just for your own shit.

Thanks! The only professionnally recorded stuff was the drums (2 days to record all tracks). Other than that it's all done in the room shown in the OP (with cutting-edge techniques like in the attached pic), and mixed and produced by the drummer and me.
Time-wise I'd say it took a year? That's a long time for 20 minutes of music, but I'd say it was worth it!

his music will probably get lost in the sea of other artists in those threads desu
it may be kind of annoying but it's much better exposure

Last time I posted in the YT thread, no one gave a shit so I thought I'd try again with a separate post...

We don't have Bible studies groups in France, I think?

Well you definitely have the pop songwriting side down, and the music technically sounds amazing from an arrangement standpoint. Seems to me the only step left is stretching out the songs in a progressive direction and I think you might have something really really special.

God damn as an aspiring musician myself this thread is inspiring as hell. I just recorded my first demo on my computer the other night, looking to do some lo fi solo post-punk bedroom shit, my primary inspirations are This Heat and Women. I really hope it turns out as well as yours is OP.

The guitar was an absolute bitch to produce: since I'm recording directly from the amp, the reverb was in the original signal. And when you try to compress reverb... yeah, it sounds like ass. That's why the guitars are a little too much in the background.

Thanks, it was a very DIY project (but that's the norm nowadays, so I can't complain)

I'm glad you're inspired, I was inspired myself by watching a video about Mac DeMarco and thinking "you know what? I should try this". The recording process is so fun, it's a great experience

cool stuf

Nice EP!
Got a bandcamp? Wouldn't mind paying for this

>as we roll in the hay
tfw no incest sister

What, you mean I could actually make money from music? I can't believe it!

Thanks a lot man, all the platforms we're on are here: fliim.fanlink.to/FliimSound-ep-1

very classic sound. If you didn't tell me you made this, I would have thought It came from the 60's or 70's

This is pretty great dude, produced really well, did you do it all from home? What software did you use and how much random demos and throwaways did you do before getting to this point?

Sounds good. Reminiscent of that sound without relying too much on it.

Nice stuff ! I must admit I don't find the songwriting adventurous enough, but other than that, the production is really nice, and this is overall just pleasant to listen to.
Avec mes cordiales salutations de Lyon :)

Next time, put a reverb plug-in on a send track in your DAW and send your guitar tracks in there instead. ValhallaDSP plugins are pretty good if you don't mind buying zeroes and ones or pirating, otherwise, the free TAL plugins are good too.

Well, we're from the country of Serge Gainsbourg, after all...

Thanks! All did from home except the drums, the DAW is Reaper (very simple to use, I'm not a very technical person), and I'd say these are the 4th round of demos

Thanks, we have various influences so they mesh pretty well with each other without sounding like a copycat (I hope)

Merci bien! :D It's not adventurous because we made a conscious effort to strip away all that was unnecessary. Less is more, and all that. I think it's reflected in the production as well. And we didn't use any plugins at all except the native Reverb/EQ/Comp ones on Reaper... yeah, as I said I'm not very technical

I really like this. Good shit.

De rien ! Reaper is a neat DAW, but its default plugins aren't that great desu.
If you just want good free plugins without getting through the hassle of pirating stuff, check out varietyofsound.wordpress.com/ and bedroomproducersblog.com/.
Also, if you want to learn more about sound engineering, go to soundonsound.com/, they have great free articles on technical stuff. For example, I was talking about putting reverbs on send tracks and I learned about that by reading stuff like this :
soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-why-should-reverbs-be-send-effects
soundonsound.com/techniques/using-aux-sends-returns
soundonsound.com/techniques/use-reverb-pro-1
soundonsound.com/techniques/send-effects-more-reverb-delay
(that said, I have yet to make actual music with that knowledge, which I don't because I'm pretty lazy and uninspired these days...)

Thanks a lot cher compatriote, this will help me a lot for the next one! And good luck on getting inspired again :)

pretty good. the acustic quitar and drums give me sort of a country vibe. sounds very clean very pleasent sound

screenshotting this post in case OP ever gets famous. this is really good. i was ready to shitpost about it being awful and you needing to go back to shilling in bandcamp threads but it’s just too pleasant

Done, shame you don't have it as a CD, that would've been even better.

Fucking 1€40 tax got my balls in a twist though.

here
my contribution to the constructive criticism is i personally find the cover art kind of bad and don’t really like it but i like the colors, just not the textures and arrangement of shapes. desu i think it’s only halfway a meme that people listen to things based on cover art, i think there’s a lot of truth in that

like you said it’s not very original. i think of you found your own voice and modernize the classic sounds you’re pulling from, like a lot elephant 6 artists, this stuff could be really special. you’ve clearly got an ear for catchy/poppy melodies

The acoustic guitar layering is certainly inspired by folk and country music

Thanks a lot, that makes you our first paying customer! Apart from Mom of course

Ah, the cover art has certainly proven itself divisive... I agree that it's very important nowadays, but we felt it reflected the mood of the music (it's rather positive, you know?) Thanks for the comments mate!

Does that mean I can get cosy with your mum?

I always expected I'd have to sacrifice things to make it in the music industry. Never imagined it would be my mother though...

You win some, you lose some...

lmao this has inspired me to actually finish my songs. Really good OP. Anyone got some lyrical direction advice for this?

dropbox.com/s/ovvndk0y0kncvvd/crap rough bounce of 1.wav?dl=0

Thanks man. For your link, it sounds Mac DeMarco-ish (except that faster part), and what makes his music endearing is how he writes about his life, however intimate the subject (his father for instance). So I'd say maybe go with something in that vein? But then again, I'm not writing in the same genre and am talking out of my ass, so take it with a metric ton of salt

damn, good job op. I’m legitimately liking this.

this is really good. the comp and the mix is just right for me.

not sure how 60s bands inspired this because it feels very much your own. good click bait but i would seriously consider removing that from your pitch to a label. you could definitely go somewhere.

>I'll listen to it if you post it in a bandcamp/soundcloud/youtube thread
Unless you're the first 10, nobody will even take a glance at your music.

Thanks a lot!

You really think referencing the '60s and '70s might put us at a disadvantage? We call our genre "progressive pop", but it's a little vague and equally clickbaity... Thank you for the comment though!

Congrats mate, you did it

someone better sticky this thread

this is gay as shit

Wholesome thread Sup Forums, nicely done. Mu-core confirmed

that's what i thought

>That's it, I've finished my first EP with my sister,
Did you fuck her? Put sperm in her womb?

Yeah I must say I'm quite surprised too!

yes op just what the music world needs more 60s 70s influenced buttrockers who worship the old rock gods

rock is dead fuck sakes

It's more acoustic pop than rock tho

Pretty nice op, give you sis a pat on the head. Would like to hear more

Where's you innovative ground breaking nu prog rock album user?

>Making music for other people and not yourself
How plebian can you get

I wanted to fuck it off, but hey, it sounds kind of cute

>not producing black-synthwave demos in your bedroom
its amateur hour

>tele
vomit

What's wrong with a Tele? It's only the most recorded electric guitar in music history

sounds good and i dont even listen this kind of music great job my nigga

wtf this is good like with a bit more experimentation you could totally get signed to like elephant 6 or something

Yeah I think like the others have said. It would be exciting to hear it get a little more weird. It's accessible which is still a good thing. Don't be afraid to try something outside your comfort zone.

user this is honestly not bad. You could sell this.

Same dude. Actually wouldn't mind buying this. Put it on bandcamp.

i liked it user

Well, thanks a lot! It's on Bandcamp (fliimsound.bandcamp.com/releases) and on pretty much every other platform, I think (fliim.fanlink.to/FliimSound-ep-1)

Hey this is pretty cool, I like this a lot, good job man

We'd love to go in a more experimental direction, but it's really complicated when you do the drums first and everything else afterwards, one instrument at a time... you lose a lot of spontaneity. It must be amazing to be able to record the whole band at once, but it's so fucking expensive

I also make music and I find myself doing the drums first and then struggling to add something that matches the feel of the drums. I wonder if it's really the best approach. Although the type of stuff I make is wildly different from what you make

This actually sounds good, good job OP

In our case, the drums are the backbone of the whole thing (he's the most experienced musician of the trio), so we have to do it first, but yeah it really closes options afterwards. You can also do different takes with different feels, but it makes choices even harder afterwards. In any case, we're fucked compared to a full band recording.

Good job OP.

Did you just use a compressor mic for the vocals?

What DAW did you use to record? Just curious as I'm about to start recording myself

very nice actually, good job

Thanks! We used a single mic for the vocals, an AudioTechnica AT2020, and our DAW was Reaper. It was a very barebones process overall.

dude this is actually good, take this to some label asap. Nothing really that new but really sweet and catchy

sorry but this is really pedestrian.

I mean it's well executed I guess but it's dull music

Not really my taste, but I can appreciate the objective quality anyway. Good shit, OP. Good luck.

hey man this is pretty cool, keep it up :)

This is pretty good, OP. You could definitely sell this. Share it on social media, bandcamp, soundcloud, etc. if you want more people to hear it. Sup Forums is a start, but you could reach a lot more people this way.

bet u 2 would have amazing sexual chemistry if u tried...

Thanks dude, it's shared on Facebook and Instagram and all that social stuff, but we're in France, and the market for that kind of music is not exactly thriving...

I've been trying to write some stuff myself (Daydream Nation sonic youth, Dino Jr, MBV style) and I always feel like its a bummer not being able to jam stuff with someone else cause I always get one part I like then write drums for it and it never progresses.

Not trying to be a bitch, but post it in the share threads

Yeah, working on your own is pretty limiting, things take a lot longer to form, and you get tired of your tracks before they're even close to completed. Being a bedroom musician/producer is not easy...

When is your uk tour?

I kinda feel like not being able to sing is a real bummer for making that kinda music, cause a lot of it isn't too complex but when its just guitar or drums without anything else it sounds really whereas if you have vocals to carry it to the next part there isn't such a strain for each measure to be something brand new.

I wish man, touring the UK is a lifelong dream of mine after reading so many rock bios (Nick Mason, Sting, Macca...)

Not being able to sing? Pretty much anyone can sing, it's just about work I think. Our vocal parts are not complex, and our voices are definitely not Freddie Mercury-tier...

You're probably right that its about work, it just seems like the most embarrassing to learn how to do bad singing sounds worse than bad most other instruments, also being tied to your own voice makes it being bad more embarrassing if you follow me? It's mainly excuses though that's true.

why are comments disabled

I still see them; keking at "makes my weener become BIG"

Dude nice keep at it, I subscribed to your channel and definitely want to follow anything else you do.

Thanks dude, appreciate it!

You've got so many thread replies that this feels almost like dropping a supportive comment on a successful musician's music video, but this is great!