How do I into Kayo Dot?

How do I into Kayo Dot?

Other urls found in this thread:

ascap.com/playback/2011/03/wecreatemusic/kayo-dots-toby-driver-breaks-down-stained-glass
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You don't because it's shit psuedo art metal

Yes, and?

You either do or you don't. Driver's got a pretty wide discography to choose from, and each album of his is very distinct, but most of the compositions he writes build on dissonance, with really powerful melodies sometimes jumping in spontaneously. Try his newer stuff if you're not into metal, or pic related.

Thanks, sure will do.

To be honest, I recently got into Madonnawhore and thought it was okay, and since lately I have nothing to listen to, I thought I'd give Kayo Dot a chance after all these years.

Madonnawhore has a few good songs, but it kinda felt like he just wanted to fuck around with some dreamy soundscapes. His other solo album is absolutely batshit.

Yeah, I though Madonnawhore had ups and downs, but I guess I was in the right mood. I will also check this one out. Thanks, again.

I will smack that elf-looking motherfucker if those Choirs of the Eye shirts don't come on stock by the end of February.

>psuedo art metal

What a non-argument. You actually just don't get it and absolutely don't have the knowledge or vocabulary to express why you don't get it. You can't just say something is pseudo- and run away with it just because it doesn't confine with your shitty taste. Back to your major and minor scale music and leave a little more complex and open-minded functional harmony to the big boys.

OP listen to everything from maudlin of the Well first I guess?

Not him, but you act stupefyingly pretentious for someone literally defending babby's first avant-garde metal

Is there really a "babby's first" when it comes to fucking avant-garde metal?

And again, that's not even a remote critique of the music.

>Is there really a "babby's first" when it comes to fucking avant-garde metal?
Yes. motW and Kayo Dot are prime examples.

>that's not even a remote critique of the music.
I wasn't even trying to. Although I think they are grossly overrated, but not bad in any means.

It may sound pretentious but that's just how art music is and it's also the truth in this case.

>babby's first avant-garde metal
Again, not an actual argument. You haven't actually said anything. You can't even explain how being entry-level is actual criticism.

What other avant-garde metal bands do what Kayo Dot does better?

Alright then. Recommendations for better avant-garde metal bands in your honest opinion?

get a life

>I took one semester of music theory
You're just as insufferable as kayo dot is.

>I still don't know how to critique music

good argument and criticism of their music user really making those almonds work rn

You're right guys, I'm sorry. Properly reviewing kayo dot would require me to have to put myself through listening to one of their albums. It was so bad the first time... I don't want to have to do that again. Please spare me.

not sure why Toby threads always end up in shitpost since his music is probably the highest artistic achievement in music

Have you been here before? Toby makes great music, and that is why these threads get shitposted.

The real question is why would you into Kayo Dot?

It's okay, you don't have to like it.

lmao

You're more than welcome to tell us why it was bad the first time.

Your excuses are terrible, jesus christ. Instead of pussying out of the conversation make an argument against him. Maybe someone would listen to your points if you did anything.
>i can't tell you why it's bad because i don't want to listen to it again hehe! xD

i would rather into mia

I'm sorry user. Listening to dull music for hours on end doesn't sound very pleasurable. I'm glad you somehow find enjoyment out of it.

Out of all the negative descriptors you could use for Driver's music, "dull" is probably the least accurate.

I was talking to Ron once, the guitarist for Kayo Dot, and he said with the Madonnawhore album, Toby was going for a Talk Talk style thing

Sup Forums is too pleb for kayo dot

Although I recognise Toby's music can become too obtuse or chaotic for its own good sometimes

Not a lot of the albums share any kind of musical consistency. The closet thing I can think of is that Gamma Knife sounds like a Hubardo demo but that's really it.

If you like synthesizers, their last two albums will fit the bill.

If you like spacey, post rock stuff Choirs of the Eye is good.

If you like metal Hubardo and Gamma Knife are really good places to start.

If you like prog rock with lots of strings and woodwinds,, stuff like Blue Lambency Downward is a good starting point. Coyote if you like acoustic / sinister like Univer Zero

Dowsing Anemone... is kinda like a mutant brother to Choirs of the Eye, so it's hard to place properly.

I really like Toby on Tzadik.
Both of the releases were pretty fucking good.

Anybody cop that Choirs of the Eye vinyl they put out?

You could make yourself not look like an underaged illiterate faggot if you stopped trying so hard to avoid people's questions and making responses that make you look like a 12 year old. If you know anything about what you're talking about it takes 4 minutes to tell me why you think it's bad. That leaves you time to get chocolate milk before your bedtime.

This and Coffins on Io got way less acclaim than they deserved. I think some fans are just disappointed that he's not focused on metal anymore, because in terms of composition, both records ooze complexity. My mom listened to a lot of 80s prog and pop, so maybe that's why I like the synths and "ghoul" vocals.

The weird thing is Coffins on Io, while great, is arguably my least favorite KD album, but Plastic House... is near the top for me. Toby said Coffins on Io was like an EP that they liked so they tried to expand it into an album.

Though, to be completely honest, KD has like exactly two distinctly METAL albums, and I'd argue Hubardo is the only really fully metal one. Choirs and Gamma Knife feel only partially so.

I remember watching a random interview where Toby explained how he went all-out in terms of instrumentation with Choirs of the Eye and found that it didn't translate well (or at all) during live performances, so I think that's why Dowsing sounds more like a scaled-back Choirs. While Choirs is and always will be my favorite, Dowsing is a close second. That shrieking vocal build-up in Becoming the Gemini sent chills down my spine the first time I heard it.

Yeah, I do remember that, because there's like 20 different instruments on the album but they're only for certain sections of certain songs, and I can see that being a nightmare.

>Toby said he'd work with any line up of Kayo Dot again EXCEPT the Dowsing lineup (which is basically the band Ehnahre).

Sucks.

Did he say why? Just different tastes and whatnot?

I don't think he directly stated why, but I think the general implication was that they were not good or easy to work with.

Ehnahre is actually putting out some good stuff but it's less accessible than any Kayo Dot stuff.

Dude KD has been my favorite band for years, but it certainly isn't the highest achievement in music by a long shot.

Yeah boi I got the deluxe edition. I'm guessing in the next week or so it'll get here.

What is the highest achievement in music?

I'm hoping it's not like the Hubardo disaster.

I got mine somewhat timely but others were waiting for fucking months for their's. He's bad at doing these self releases.

Bach, quite clearly

Oh man I forgot about that completely. I got Hubardo pretty quick so I was one of the lucky ones, but I'd ordered BLD and Gamma Knife sometime after that and I waited like 14 months to get those kek. Just the price you pay to support poor bands, I guess.

You listen to Choirs of the Eye and if you don't like it, you don't like it.

ascap.com/playback/2011/03/wecreatemusic/kayo-dots-toby-driver-breaks-down-stained-glass

Bumping with a brief but cool interview

Hey fucker, where are those recs?

Never comin' bro.