Harry, did I ever tell you about Time-turners? They are magical devices that allow the user to travel back in time...

>Harry, did I ever tell you about Time-turners? They are magical devices that allow the user to travel back in time. As you and your friends already discovered when you saved Buckbeak's life, this incredible power can even prevent people from being killed. Even though the Ministry had access to a whole closet full of time-turners, we did nothing to stop Voldemort from killing all those innocents over the years, including your parents. Time-turners are dangerous. They must only be used in the rare case a little girl wants to take extra classes in a semester. Of course, using them just once to stop Voldemort would have saved thousands of lives, your parents among them, but the thought never occurred to us. They were good friends.

wtf i love voldemort now

Bravo Rowling

It's magic I ain't gotta explain shit

due to the butterfly effect, imagine how many problems going back in time that far would cause

though i'm assuming time turners existed before harry's parents died

and it doesn't excuse all the more recent deaths they didn't undo (like barty crouch sr.'s, for example)

>barty crouch sr
actually that was goblet of fire
fuck

You can only go back 24 hours, I believe

time turners existed before harry's parent's died

they could've used them literally the first time voldemort killed someone. just go back in time one hour and wait for him to show up and put the magic handcuffs on him

But user, that would be wrong because he hadn't done anything yet!

>time turners existed before harry's parent's died

[citation needed]

that's not how time-turners work. You can't change the past.

then why would time tuners be dangerous at all?

yes you can retard, buckbeak was killed and they went back in time and stopped him from being killed

he was never killed

But that would mean going back in time to affect something would have been part of the past anyway. That's a paradox. It's no wonder Rowling admitted regret at including time travel shit.

Would you turn back 2016?

thats not a paradox at all

no he wasn't. Can't remember the movie but book!Buckbeak was never killed. H & H only thought he died because they heard the swoosh of the executioner's axe (actually lodged into a log) and Hagrid's cries (wich were actually of joy, not pain).

they're supposedly dangerous for the people doing the time-travelling and, as such, are subject to regulation and handled by trusted people. It's also implied that the consequences of meddling with such deep magical laws can be catastrophic, though we never get specifics.

>Turning back on the greatest year in recent history
Only to laugh at everyone who thought Trump couldn't win, then drink their tears all over again.

but what if death eaters used them to stop you from putting magic handcuffs on him?

Yes I fucking would.

>Liquidate everything I loan and take out massive loans
>Proceed to bet a fortune that Donald Trump willelection election.

Then I'd proceed to shitpost on Sup Forums about how amazing I am.

Let me ask you a question.

Can you change the future? You right now in the real world. Can you?

Think about it.

Exactly. The reason nobody could get back in time to stop Voldemort is because nobody did get back in time to stop Voldemort.

then you get aurors to use more timeturners to stop them from stopping you from putting magic handcuffs on him

Ya'll retarded. The time limit for the turner is five hours. If someone in the past actually figures out someone is using a time turner from the future, catastrophic things may happen.

No one excuses why the fuck would such a dangerous thing could be used by high-schoolers, but it can be assumed that using it to prevent disaster could cause much bigger ones.

no, the future can't be changed, it just happens

but you can change the past with a magic time turner apparently, retard

>The time limit for the turner is five hours.
You just use the same time turner that existed 5 hours ago and go back an additional 5 hours, repeating the processes as many times as necessary.

so the ministry thinks it's ok for hermione to have one so she can take muggle studies, but it's not important enough to catch voldemort after he kills a mudblood family

Not if you spend your day shitposting on Sup Forums

Yes he was

cursed child says hello ;^)

Why cant you change the future, just do something different to what you were about to do?

I was always about to do what I'm going to do, but I didn't necessarily know it.

I refuse to believe people don't understand how time-turners work.

It's fucking Harry Potter.

It's a franchise for retarded children.

They can't change the past if it happened. Everything HAS already happened, but any change that could be called coincidence may be due to time-turners.

Buckbeak was never killed, they never saw the execution. Their future selves were already there, in the past, seeing everything.
They didn't interfere because they physically couldn't. Otherwise their past selves would have seen them appear out of nowhere for no reason when they were witnessing the execution.

Time-turners are more like having the power to duplicate yourself and being in more than one place at the same time.

It does nothing to affect a timeline.

Everything has already occurred and cannot be changed.

You people can't be so goddamn stupid that you don't understand this. It's a fucking children book.

As I said, it probably wasn't used because it could cause much bigger damage than what Voldemort might have caused. It's reasonable to think that acting to change history in such a great way also poses equal risks.

It's extraordinary for one person to posses just one time turner, let alone two. Besides, the turners have a weird way of interacting with one another and it might cause damage to space time. From the wiki:

"The entire stock of Time-Turners, located in the Time Room, in the Ministry of Magic were rendered useless during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries in 1996. While not "destroyed" per se, due to the way one of them fell when their counter was knocked over, the entire stock was trapped in an endless loop of falling over, un-falling, and then re-falling, in an endless cycle for all eternity, and are thus unable to be used."

because that's not changing the future. that's changing the present.

yes, the outcome is different than it might have been had you acted otherwise, but the future was never changed, so to speak. it just happened.

>use time turner
>make sure something happened doesnt happen
>we wizards now

your post makes zero sense you mongoloid

except in Prisoner of Azkaban Rowling writes about a wizard who traveled back in time and killed his younger self. Did you even read the books pleb?

not to mention all the time-fuckery that Cursed Child introduces

Then goodbye again as everyone has already forgotten about that shit non canon sequel play with the release of a canon prequel movie

Keep crying, bitch.

Yes I did retard. Those were stories and just that.
Also whatever bullshit they pulled in Cursed Child I don't care.

>what the fuck is time travel?

The axe swing they thought was Buckbeak dying was only the executioner smashing a pumpkin with his axe because he was pissed he didn't get to kill anything (due to Time Harry and Hermione taking Buckbeak before the scheduled execution.)

>Time-turners are more like having the power to duplicate yourself and being in more than one place at the same time.
>It does nothing to affect a timeline.
>Everything has already occurred and cannot be changed.

Then what's the fucking point of even having one then? If it does nothing to change a timeline whatsoever, how is hermione reading more books with it? What's happening to those books? Are they being physically moved at all? That's a timeline being affected. Same principal applies to stopping Voldemort, if you wanted.

No. She writes about someone saying that happened. Not about that happening. Big difference.

In all timelines Hermione reads the books, has read the books and will have had has read the books.

Wait I haven't read Cursed Child but what's with the treatment as non canon? Rowling co-wrote it.

here then, faggot. The story of Eloise Muntumble, from Pottermore, which according to Rowling is Canon:

>Madam Eloise Mintumble (d. 1899) was an Unspeakable in the Department of Mysteries who died during the course of an experiment to travel back in time for more than a few hours.[1]

Madam Mintumble was trapped, for a period of five days, in the year 1402. When she was finally retrieved to the present, her body had aged five centuries, and, irreparably damaged, she died in St Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Her excursion to the past provoked a great disturbance to the life paths of all those she met, changing the present so dramatically that no fewer than twenty-five of their descendants vanished in the present, having been "un-born". Moreover, there were a few more alarming signs that time itself had been disturbed: Tuesday following her reappearance lasted two and a half full days, whereas Thursday shot by in the space of four hours.[1]

Where does the hole lead?

>Everything has already occurred and cannot be changed.

THEN WHATS THE POINT OF TIME TURNERS AT ALL FUCKO

They're not called 'past watchers' or 'GoPro Rowling Edition'.

so why can't an auror, in all timelines, stop voldemort

Good God, I want to fuck Emma Watson's ass so badly.

I would kill every single person that has ever posted here a million times in order for this to happen.

>canon doesn't fit my theory
>therefore I can safely disregard it

You done fucked up but good, Tyrone.

Because they don't, didn't and wont.

as long as you recognize that it's possible then, and the Ministry is just retarded for not doing it

Boyzinga

NO, its not a possibility. But the ministry probably doesn't know that. Or they might. The do have an entire hall of prophecy and a door to communicate with the dead after all.

I'm the guy you responded to. I haven't read Cursed Child yet, can you explain ?

I too am jelly of the madman that did it, wish i had the screencap saved.

>entire hall of prophecy
How long do you think it would take to 'restock' that hall?

Pls post the pasta

what pasta

I always thought that was McGonagall embellishing the truth a bit to impress upon Hermione the seriousness of the responsibility she was entrusting her with. Hermione is bright, but she's still a 13yo who venerates her teachers.

Underrated post on morality.

Then why did they go into the past if they can't change it?

No where in any of that dose it talk about changing the past. It doesn't say what she did in 1402.

To make sure everything happened the same way as it did before. They went into the past for it to stay the same, which you might recognize as the opposite of changing it.

does that matter, if you know he is going to kill someone?

if you could stop your mother from dying in her sleep tonight simply by responding to this post in the present, how much would you care that she hadn't died yet?

>time turners are top edge technology from the past 10 years
are you retarded

it's a summary nigga but what it definitely, unequivocally states is that the timeline was affected by her excursion to the past. people just fucking vanished because she changed shit in the past.

you are being delusional

I LOVE THIS NEW MEME

Those are not even his giant eagles, they belong to his boss.

>Two choices:
>1. Go back in time and make no difference to the timeline.
>2. Don't go back in time and therefore make no difference to the timeline either.

Remind me again why Time Turners are regarded as dangerous in the books and movies? Is it because they have zero appreciable effect on anything? Meanwhile you have hotheaded, trained-into-evil hormonal moody teens from Slytherin and social weirdos and outcasts from Hufflepuff walking around with a stick that can kill you with a word.

Avada kedavra yourself you mong.

People in the present changed because of an experiment she did in the present. There is nothing unusual about that.

>changing the present so dramatically that no fewer than twenty-five of their descendants vanished in the present

They vanished. But they still were born and lived in the past. People realized they had vanished. Because you cant change the past.

This only makes sense if time is linear and predetermined. This says you were wrong are wrong and will continue to be wrong however.

This is why you should never introduce time loops to your franchise.

Again, you misunderstand how time travel works here. The ONLY timeline we see in the books is the one where Harry and Hermione go back. The other timeline, where they don't go back and Buckbeak and SIrius are killed does not exist. You might call it fate but there is no "turning point" where they "decide" to use the TT and the universe rearranges itself. The only timeline is the one where they will always have decided it.

>but they were still born

actually, the Canon specifically says they were "un-born"

Doesn't contradict it in any way. The people always vanished in all timelines. And the days were always those lengths.

You cant be un-born if you were never born

It's just an alternative entrance to a cave system that has another entrance a couple feet out of shot. It's basically an exercise for seasoned cavers to show how ballsy they are.

They were born but fucking around in time caused them to cease living but they existed in that timeline they were never completely erased.

The point is Rowling is a hack that couldn't deal with the enormity of the challenge proposed by time travel. And anyone saying 'it would always happen in that timeline' is a moron. Go educate yourself on relativity or anything at all.

This, this is how a paradox works you fucking absolute morons

>is a moron. Go educate yourself on relativity or anything at all.

What sort of damn MORON doesn't understand the complicated aspects of theoretical physics. ugh educate yourself morons

if that's the case they wouldn't have needed to go back in time to save buckbeak in the second-to-original timeline you fuckface

>second-to-original timeline
There is only one timeline. It is all predetermined and free will is an illusion.

Meme your way back to r.e.d.d.i.t. please

>predetermined

Ugh, it's awfully pretentious-first-year-philosophy-major in here.

Causality is more important than free will.

>still no "stretched his legs" copy pasta
I'm impressed lads

relativity is a simple concept to get a quick grasp of though, you cant know if an apple priced at $100 is expensive or cheap until you compare it to another apple and its price that's the nutshell version, jk.r is unarguably a hack.

>jkr is a hack

why, because she built fictional rules into her fictional universe ? Real-life time travel wouldn't permit to go back in time anyway, only forward, so I'm not sure to what "real version" of time travel you're comparing this to. Of all the reasons to call someone a hack, you chose the stupidest.

Come on dumbass, don't you remember the inexplicable rock flying through Hagrid's window that warned them to get out before the minister showed up?

>Ugh, it's awfully pretentious-first-year-philosophy-major in here.
not an argument
>Causality is more important than free will.
I never said free will is improtant

How can someone as dumb as you think its ok to insult people on the internet.

That's because there were 3 timelines

1) They go back in time when the bird actually did die
2) They change things so they would know what to do

And that has anything to do with time travel or this discussion how? Seems like you just through it out there to confuse people and hope they dont call you out.

that makes no sense

The 2-3 anons who pathetically keep that saved in a notepad document must be asleep.

You can't change history in HP time travel. Everything that is meant to happen will happen, and sometimes an event includes using a time turner. They always used it with Buckbeak, Buckbeak was never dead.

> this was certainly bait, but still

So how on Earth is the timeturner dangerous? You can't possibly fuck up the past even if you try.