/blindfold/ Jazz General

First time doing this, let's see how this takes off. If it's too hard to guess, or too easy, say so. Good luck.
mega.nz/#F!JDIUgYJa!BJsmQ-gCwL1XBymxvKXDCg
>tracks stripped of all data
>guess the albums/artists/etc
>don't use fucking Shazam
>/Jazz/ General discussion

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!0D4CVQTI!XvTbX3JhSwlCUrpElQtrLw
mega.nz/#F!EPhDgQBQ!Jt34wmvN8qxuFuT68IA0zA
mega.nz/#F!hGAwiJwK!RPEhSmtqypHBYCbl4Kaffw
youtube.com/watch?v=0XYXexLWOKc&t=2242s
mega.nz/#F!xPQEzKxb!bTFR09K-EE62g_ngbAqNRw
youtube.com/watch?v=tHp5Ppr55M0
mega.nz/#F!IKA0WIxT!ergrS8AlpPIq_wWTVB5qqg
mega.nz/#F!AWhHxYzS!cPfEGbqjxff9uMppAqv03w
youtube.com/watch?v=JW6znI_W3H8
www38.zippyshare.com/v/zkVyInxT/file.html
mega.nz/#F!0TBzHJxC!f1muDez8ts100uvVC1ZIyg
mega.nz/#F!hOBwCCbY!rSWrzgYmsCMAiZvOHVRkug
youtube.com/watch?v=3HkGAFDE3wI
youtube.com/watch?v=6hlJoaW6uj8
youtube.com/watch?v=fLJ5kI-zKBA
www115.zippyshare.com/v/poOPycbr/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=NG3oKb2JQow
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I won't be able to do this until I get off work tomorrow as I am about to head to bed right now. But I'll definitely wanna participate for this! If I can I'll try to jot down some thoughts before work.

As for a /jazz/ general, where should I go for jazz guitar centric stuff that's less Grant Green or John McLaughlin (more typical melody based) and more like Wes Montgomery (intense chordal work, kinda sounds like metal/rock but more erratic and larger chord variety)?

You might enjoy someone like Yosuke Onuma, though this album is fusion rather than straight ahead jazz.
mega.nz/#F!0D4CVQTI!XvTbX3JhSwlCUrpElQtrLw

Ohhhh shit blindfold is back

so I'm bad at this but here goes
1 - ? I like it though
2 - "You'd be so nice to come home to" sounds like Coleman Hawkins on sax to me. Peterson on keys? ugh, I don't know.
3 - Medeski Martin and Wood? plus a flute or soprano sax or whatever
4 - Is this the London Experimental Jazz Quartet? It sounds similar to that "Destroy the Nihilist Picnic" song the way the keyboard guy will hammer the same note a lot
5 - Groove Holmes on keys? Pretty sure that's Green on guitar, he's doing that repeat-the-phrase thing. Then again, Smith and Montgomery were the groovy organ and guitar duo guys. The model of organ sounds like Holmes but maybe it's the same as Smith, who played a B3 I know but this sounds different to me somehow
6 - jeez i dunno, Chet Baker? maybe Bill Evans on keys?
7 - oh, I don't know this stuff at all
8 - trane and miles. maybe Gil Evans on keys
9 - uh, Mingus? the bass is great but i don't follow the free scene so for sax I'll just say something pleby like Ornette as a guess
10 - I know the tune from Blue Train. I do not know these players but they are uh, somewhat technically proficient. I'll just guess Pastorius on bass to say something

I know, mine are all obvious choices but what can I tell you?

1 -
2 -
3 - This is something Like Jack McGriff or another Soul Jazz artist. It could be a contemporary recording.
4 - This sounds like it wants to be Roxy & Elsewhere but is failing
5 - This shit is cooking nigga
6 - I've heard this before but I can't quite put my finger on it. Nice and chill
7 - Fuck, this sounds like it's 80's zappa. Like an Allan Zavod solo a bit. So I'm gonna go Jean-Luc Ponty or maybe George Duke. It's definitely from the 80s and fusion though.
8 -
9 - This gives me Mingus vibes, but it's feeling a bit to far out for Mingus.
10 - Is it Larry Coryell playing something by Coltrane

OP went to sleep and soon I will and the thread will die and I'll never know what any of the music is

I'm still here, but shouldn't I wait a little longer?

Sssshhhhh no tears now, only dreams.

Ah what the hell, here's the list. I can just make another set of /blindfold/ tunes sometime later. Though, if anyone sees this text and wants to give it a shot at guessing, don't scroll further...

1: A Simple Matter Of Conviction - Bill Evans
2: You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To - Coleman Hawkins
3: Miss Riverside - Greyboy Allstars
4: Thouroughbred - Masabumi Kikuchi & Gil Evans
5: I'll Remember Jimmy - Tony Monaco (played live at Cotton Club with Yosuke Onuma)
6: Polkadots And Moonbeams - Chet Baker
7: Got A Match - Chick Corea
8: Iris - Miles Davis (it's on ESP, written by Wayne Shorter)
9: Focus On Sanity - Ornette Coleman
10: Moment's Notice - Jiro Yoshida

OP again, I'm not giving up on this thread and I will continue to make these when this one dies. For the two who guessed the last 10 tunes, hit and miss but I learned some names I've never heard of so thanks for those, and thanks for trying.

Here's another set of 10 tunes. These ones hopefully a bit easier. Enjoy.

mega.nz/#F!EPhDgQBQ!Jt34wmvN8qxuFuT68IA0zA

Maybe Jeff Parker?

Slightly off-topic question for you anons as the game continues - do you think jazz could become (at least a bit) more popular in the near future? It isn't popular at all right now, it was never huge, I suppose, but could the saturation of simpler harmonies and rhythms from other genres spark an interest in jazz? Or perhaps listeners will demand more from live performance than an imperfect repetition of a perfect studio recording? What's your take?

Oh no, not this "16yo discovering jazz" shit again. This is what killed jazz generals on Sup Forums and you bring it back? Nobody wants to read what kids are saying about classics

All jazz is the same

that's, like, very zen of you

bump

cool beans, glad to see this again - quick first listen comments/guesses

1. young music student/nerd fusion - not really something I enjoy listening to much. I guess Hiatus Kaiyote is what this reminds me most of. Wouldn't be surprised if this is them, actually. Maybe Hiatus Kaiyote if they were a little more Japanese is a way to describe this that makes sense to me.

Some of the vocal acrobatics remind me of Finnish band Elifantree and their singer Anni Elif, although they are quirky indie poppy instead of slick fusion/funk like this band.

I guess this could be Esperanza Spalding as well, but I haven't listened to her stuff since Radio Music Society.

2. well this is Joe Henderson's Inner Urge from the album of the same name. I love this track - one of my very favorite Henderson tracks. I've been listening to quite a bit of Inner Urge and In 'n Out lately.

This is the kind of track that you can just get lost in - as long as it is, it doesn't get boring for me at all.

I recently read some article that mentioned Joe Henderson as being generally underrated - I guess it might be true, this is just about as essential mid-60's Blue Note listening as any Herbie or Shorter album.

3. The composition sounds familiar, but can't think of the name - something from the bebop-era, I guess. The cool jazz-y sax playing fits the spirited tune and tempo surprisingly well, this track is definitely a lot of fun.

What I'm thinking about is that this was recorded at a time when this type of jazz was already at least a little out style - late 50's earliest - at a time where studio albums by the same people maybe wouldn't have a track like this anymore.

Good trombone playing, too. Pretty solid track - I enjoyed this.

4. Ouch the 80's cheese levels are off the charts.

I've been listening to some Hugh Masekela lately on account of him dying and all and some of his 80's and 90's stuff has pretty unfortunately dated sounds.

Almost cheesy enough to be amusing, but still mostly cheesy. Guitarist is tapping and everything. While I hesitate to refer to Chick Corea Elektric Band as stylish, I'm kind of thinking this is a less stylish version of that band.

I'll guess the guitarist is the leader since he's tapping and all that nonsense. Seems like he's the most accomplished of the bunch, although not a big fan of this style of guitar heroism myself.

So who could this be... Early Lee Ritenour?

5. Eric Dolphy on bass clarinet here I'd guess. I haven't really listened to live albums with Dolphy that much, so I don't think I've ever heard this before (if it is him, but no idea who else it could be).

Nice confident trumpet playing. Is the trumpeter actually the leader here? The bassist and drummer keep things moving along nicely.

This Dolphy-style wild bass clarinet soloing works best for me when there is some contrast to it with the rest of the group having more control and order to it. I like this solo.

I tend to like trading fours -sections, but this one feels a bit disjointed. Also the drum solo following the trading feels somewhat hyper active - I guess this long track wore me out a bit.

6. Coltrane, I'm almost 100% sure

Not sure what album this is from - early 60's I'd say, one of those things where 'Trane demonstrated that he hadn't gone completely off the deep end yet.

I generally like this feel where there is that more modal and static part and then they let loose for some more relaxed soloing - creates some nice tension and variety, but I think this track overdoes it, no need to go to the bass vamp quite this much.

Good track although I prefer the more adventurous 'Trane material.

7. I guess we're in the 70's now? The sound and style feel a little polished and on the safe side - I wouldn't mind if this was a dirtier jam.

So is this a trombone - large and in charge. Good strong playing. I dig the bass solo too. Gives this track a little bit of a dangerous edge that it otherwise lacks. I'll just randomly guess Richard Davis.

8. This is something from Dexter Gordon's Go!, I believe.

For me this is one for the "all jazz sounds the same" -folks. Composition could be called "Let's take Dizzy's Bebop and make it boring". I really don't have much to say about this - one of those albums that I can't help but think are overrated.

9. I like the start - no wonder there's an audience reaction like that. The opening segment reminds me a bit of some of Marius Neset's solo sax moments.

A little surprising how latin this went suddenly. The composition sounds a little familiar.

Something relatively recent, I suppose.

Oh, this was something Japanese - I guess the trumpet sound could have clued me in. Soil & Pimp?

I guess everything really started to make sense after the Japanese language speech part. I used to listen to Soil & Pimp Sessions and other when that was the hot Internet meme jazz of choice 10 years ago or so, but can't say I feel like going back to that too often. I did listen to the new soundtrack/music inspired type album they released last year, but that was pretty forgettable.

10. Now we're really back in the classic bebop-days - at least in spirit. Little bit of West Coast playfulness in the melody.

Neat little track, short and sweet - pre-LP era I guess. Honestly the strongest thought I had was thinking how this style of jazz would eventually lead to Coltrane's Giant Steps - parts of this really sounded to me like precursors of that famous tune, anyway.

>cool beans
>>>/reddit/

nah these threads are just shit

>quick forst listen comments
>spams walls of texts
>namefags
I knew bringing these back was a bad idea

Should I even bother listening, only to find decades old shit again, or are there some new releases mixed in as well?

What am I saying, as if any of you actually follow the scene...

This looks cool but I won't have time to do it today.

On a side note, imagine being such a miserable pathetic person that you come into a thread where people are happily discussing music and shitpost to try to derail the thread. At least people are smart enough not to respond.

Here are the actual tunes from the second list.

1 Judas - Esperanza Spalding
2 Inner Urge - Joe Henderson
3 Billie's Bounce - Stan Getz/J.J. Johnson
4 Asayake - Casiopea
5 Aggression - Miles Favis
6 The Night Has A Thousand Eyes - John Coltrane
7 Kuro To Shiro - Hiroshi Suzuki
8 Cheese Cake - Dexter Gordon
9 First Lady - Soil & Pimp Sessions
10 Crosscurrent - Lennie Tristano & Warne Marsh

Great work to the tripfag in the thread, in the sense that you got some tunes right and you gave me some artists to check out.

I won't make a new /blindfold/ list for another hour roughly. Hopefully this hasn't died.

Also here's an album.
mega.nz/#F!hGAwiJwK!RPEhSmtqypHBYCbl4Kaffw

Boss, might have a go at this if I get a chance later on. That was my catch phrase back when these used to be a thing though and college hasn't gotten any less busy for me so...

Can't speak to this op, but it used to be a pretty even spread form 50s through to modern day. I found most of my 2016 AOTYs from /blindfold/.
There are people who listen to modern jazz on Sup Forums. was our resident expert on European jazz and iirc he had a whole playlist of just modern European stuff that had some really good tracks.

OP here, I'll put mostly new tracks on the next 10. My aim has been to put tracks from many eras in the lists I post. So hopefully I can cover old and new jazz that people haven't heard.

>1: A Simple Matter Of Conviction - Bill Evans
man, I was gonna say Evans! I was overthinking it.
>2: You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To - Coleman Hawkins
Peterson on keys, so I got 2 there
>4: Tony Monaco - I'll Remember Jimmy
>Monaco played accordion from childhood and was heavily influenced by Jimmy Smith in his youth. In 1971, he switched to organ after hearing Smith play the instrument, and later received personal mentoring from Smith.
gee, ya don't say. I still say he sounded closer to Groove, but Groove copied Smith anyhow so I'm just grasping at straws here
>6: Polkadots And Moonbeams - Chet Baker
I got Baker at least. keys were Al Haig, tho
>8: Iris - Miles Davis (it's on ESP, written by Wayne Shorter)
damn, I should have known Wayne Shorter not Trane. I got Miles, but that was obvious. keys were Herbie Hancock, who cites Gil as an influence, so I take a little solace in that.
>9: Focus On Sanity - Ornette Coleman
we were wrong about Mingus, it was Charlie Haden

Well, I did better than I thought I would. OP, that was a nice selection, really enjoyed it (except for Corea, I cannot into heavy fusion). Thanks for hooking it up.
I didn't mean to force the disclosure but the thread was on page 8 so I didn't think you were bumping it. I was asleep when you did, sorry.

I play alto sax and I was wondering if you guys knew of any albums or artists who sound similar to the sounds of this album:

youtube.com/watch?v=0XYXexLWOKc&t=2242s

I'mma bump dis

1: Nice tune, I like the lyrics and melody and bass, but I could do without the rest of the arrangement. A little too Smooth Jazz 90.3fm for me
3: I know this tune from I think Miles doing it. One of the tunes from Bag's Groove? The bit at the end with the counterpoint is nice
6: Coltrane? piano killin' it, too.
7: This is a CTI label release. all the usual suspects from their stable seem apparent. Bob James and the usual suspects whose names I don't have committed but I've heard a thousand times.
8: uh, I swear I recognize the style but can't put a name to it. Wayne Shorter? either him or Dex
but I'll say Shorter. Great tune, OP!
9: That intro reminded me of Ken Vandermark but this is totally not him and the band/arrangement is completely different. Oh, they're Japs? Soil and Pimp Sessions?
10: they're really cooking along, whoever they are.

Fuck the haters, OP, your picks are good.

Bennie Maupin comes to mind but you probs already know him. Those sorts of early fusion guys.
This is very pretty though. Didn't know Budd did stuff like this. Definitely gonna pick this up.

Budd's done some great stuff under his independence.

coltrane bump
jazz is making me busy as fuck. too much so now to listen to the list, maybe sometime this weekend if the threads alive. ill do all the bumping i can.

Bit off a silly question but that's why I'm asking here and not elsewhere:

Will it be seen as odd if I try to play with a black jazz band as a white guy?
I didn't know how polarized jazz is

I can't speak for everyone but most jazz players don't really give a shit about race. If you can play they'll be happy to play with you.

Bill Evans did in MD's group, see Kind of Blue.

*played - I mean

It's definitely not unprecedented for white musicians to play in black groups or vice versa. It was more uncommon (though not unheard of) before the civil rights movement but from the late 50s onward, there were a lot more mixed race groups.

That's the jazz scene on a very broad scale though. On a smaller scale local scale, I've got a sample size of one where the scene around my college has a group of black jazz musicians who see playing jazz as an expression of their blackness. It's a shame, cause there's some really class musicians among them but they tend to avoid playing with white jazz musicians from what I've seen.
Might just be a product of the environment they're in though. They're on a predominantly white campus in a predominantly white country where jazz isn't commonly played and they all seem to know each other through a society basically set up as a space for black people to network with other black people around college. It's very easy to get insular in a set up like that.

Well, I am home, AND my laptop died and ate my my paragraphs worth of response to the OP link of tracks. Keep it short.

1. Instrumentalists don't really get outside their comfort zone except that drummer who just plays whatever the fuck.
3. Flutist couldn't develop his phrases, horn guy was better, organ soloing killed it by playing around with the theme they were doing the rest of the track during the solo while doing a typical solo with right hand.
4. Love almost everything about this. Really wish fusion music was more dynamic though especially the drumming. Will peep the album this is from later.
5. Only learned about Yosuke earlier while listening to that album OP recced. This dude's ace, so's that guy on keys here.
6. Fucking masters of their instruments here. So much subtlety in their delivery here. Also love how the pianist is actually syncopated from the rhythm section.
7. The fuck is this Castlevania shit?
8. Ayyy this Miles. But the real credit here goes to Wayne Shorter, both because he made this track and because his solos are my favorite on this. Actually, real talk, Miles is my least favorite part on this.
9. Haven't listened to this in a long ass time. That part that Ornette does around 3:10 or so still blows my mind.
10. Decent guitar work, too much of it starts to get closer to some shred guitar thing than actually interesting jazz guitar imo.
Thanks, the repititive fusion grooves get annoying for me at times, but that guitar work is good enough for me to not care.
Huh, not counting 8/9 since i knew them, two of my favorite three (4,5,6) are Japanese. 4 even has Takayanagi on it, cool.

Nice insight on Monaco there, didn't know that. Shame you can't into heavy fusion, but what can you do about it.
Glad to hear you liked (sort of) Yosuke, and awesome responses to the /blindfold/ list.
Jazzpossu, wonderful input and thanks for your contributions.
Glad you enjoyed it man, here's another 10, going to jump around the spectrum a bit here. Enjoy.
mega.nz/#F!xPQEzKxb!bTFR09K-EE62g_ngbAqNRw

Hey thanks man, I'll keep shit coming

Man I got no idea. I think it's going to just stay the way Frank Zappa said it was, not dead, just smells weird.
Who knows if it'll be big again, doubt it.

Just got home from seeing Walt Weiskopf - maybe not that big a name, but he does have like a dozen Criss Cross releases and such -
at the local club with a Danish rhythm section, so might as well do another blindfold:

1) I like the contrast between the frenetic drumming and the more collected vibes here - are the two sets of vibes here or does it just sometimes feel that way?

I think Hamid Drake has done some duets with some vibraphonist - I could see him being on the drums here

My mind also wandered to Ches Smith who plays both drums and vibes in Tim Berne's Snakeoil band - finally checked out his The Bell album with Craig Taborn on piano and Mat Maneri on violin recently when ECM came to Spotify, but to be honest this didn't really sound that much like him on either instrument.

Pretty cool track, not sure how many tracks of this I would enjoy, though

2) The sax player announces nicely at the start that these guys aren't afraid to take risks.

What's all this crazy glissando stuff - is that even a sax?

It's always kind of refreshing to hear something free leaning that is still slow paced - in that Jimmy Giuffre Free Fall vein. I do prefer listening to this kind of stuff live to recordings to be honest.

Some of the sax playing brought Evan Parker to mind, but I think that's a pretty tenuous connection. Why am I thinking of people who have recently recorded with Mat Maneri with every track? Weird. Maybe that's the real connection.

Yeah, this music made my mind wander. Not far from track 1 fundamentally - I think I preferred 1 to this, though, but maybe these guys would make a more appealing album.

3) Definite change of pace here.

Before Weiskopf today I watched a local student band playing some fusion/funk in the Brecker Brothers/Weather Report vein - they were surprisingly good. Just felt like sharing.

This track however feels like it kind of collects together some elements that I don't really like - kind of like someone listened to the good early 70's Mahavishnu albums in the 80's and decided to make a watered down version of it with more mediocre funk elements.

So yeah, both funk and fusion elements that don't really seem appealing to me with some out of place organ too.

There's been a number of Japanese tracks - I could see this being a Japanese thing.

4) Abstract, expressive piano stylings. Not sure when this sort of playing started coming to jazz - certainly Cecil Taylor comes to mind as a progenitor of much free jazz piano, but this sounds more to me like someone with a classical training background who then also got interested in free improvisation.

This reminds me of local Finnish pianist Aki Rissanen (probably best internationally known for playing in Verneri Pohjola's quartet, but his trio album Another North was one of my AOTY contenders last year) when he goes more free. I recommend checking out the Aki Rissanen disc of a very obscure digital only release Ilma Records Presents: 1 + 2 + 3 + 5 = 4 from a few years ago to anyone who liked this - it's a pretty awesome piano+electronics album that's pretty similar to this. Doesn't even seem to be on Soulseek, but you can stream it off Spotify.

Eve Risser is another contemporary pianist that this reminds me of. She had a pretty interesting piano duet album with someone in this vein last year. I could see this one also being a Clean Feed -release like that one was.

Certainly again something I'd like to see live. Nice track.

>Crosscurrent - Lennie Tristano & Warne Marsh
this whole album is massively underrated. shouts out to the guy who posted it in the sharethread like two years ago

5) That descending bass reminds me very strongly of some other track. This is really bothering me because I can't place the exact reason.

Of all the spacious and somber avant-garde moments on this /blindfold/ this one feels like the least interesting to me.

Somehow this makes me think "we took all the interesting stuff out of 60's Coltrane and this was what remained".

6) Let me just start by saying that I really dislike Marcus Miller as a bassist - not that I particularly think that it's actually him playing.

Like 3, this again feels to me like a very lackluster take on influences that have produced much more appealing music. Like listening to an 80's Tower of Power album, basically.

7) Sultry, smoky night-club moods. Starts off like one of those cool early 70's Tom Waits spoken word tracks before the female vocals take it to more traditionally bluesy avenues.

I'd say the chances are extremely high that "Black Lace Freudian Slip" is the title - how can you not use that line as the title when it's in the lyrics?

The longer this goes on, the less it appeals to me - went from feeling like some cool 60's or 70's thing to something contemporary in the Melody Gardot-Norah Jones vein. I really would have preferred if they kept it low key without bringing all the blues phrasing and cliche piano in.

I had Lorez Alexandria's Baltimore Oriole in one of my /blindfold/'s back in the day - this one made me want to listen to that.

8) I can't help but think of Robert Glasper from those piano chords in the beginning. If this isn't something from the Black Radio albums, it might as well be.

I guess there are more non-Black Radio like elements as it goes on - Glasper's had some good drummers, but this one feels a little free'er and the bowed bass solo was also a surprise.

I guess these guys tried to keep it interesting, so they get points for that, but I'm not sure if they really got all the way to wherever they wanted to go.

9) This one mixes funk elements with stuff that seems very un-funky in a way that reminds me of some Nordic mid-70's fusion.

This is the kind of music you like when you have some connection to it, but you're kind of ashamed to recommend it to a wider audience. It's like people who are hip to this obscure band swear it's just as exciting and cool as Soft Machine (not to mention very obscure), but deep in their hearts know that it's really probably not.

I kind of want to find out what this is, so one day I'll be all excited when I see the original vinyl in a record store somewhere.

I guess the band that came most to mind from this was Klaus Doldinger's Passport.

Does anyone know some more records with unconventional instrumentation such as pic related? Also bumperino

10) Starts sounding like the chances are high that this one might be something from Japan.

DIsco music for a pensioner cruise. Low risk of injury in case someone actually decides to try dancing to this.

Sound quality indicates that this one maybe never qualified for a CD or digital release. There are reasons for this.

I have some DJ/record collector type friends who are all into things like 70's Canadian or Soviet era Estonian funk. This sounds like something that's primarily interesting because it was recorded in some place and time when music like this wasn't generally produced and/or popular at all. (check out a mid-70's Canadian jazz-funk band Quintonal to hear what I mean)

Another one where knowing what this is exactly will probably make this a much more interesting track.

nope wont seem odd, before i went to college i pretty much only played in all black groups. you just have to play significantly better in order to get hired over a black guy cause they wanna take care of the other brothers first if they can.

This thread is exactly what i'm looking for. I've always loved Jazz but never known where to look for new stuff. Hope this thread and general go strong.

it's almost a cliche in my local scene that avant-garde leaning saxophonists have an array of exotic flutes they whip out more or less regularly

here's a pretty cool track featuring some exotic Indian flute from a recent album I just bought this week:
youtube.com/watch?v=tHp5Ppr55M0

There's some backstory to this one:
The track is entitled Emu - it's dedicated to legendary Helsinki, Finland record store owner/personality Ilkka "Emu" Lehtinen who was the soul of Digelius record store that's been the #1 spot for jazz records in the Helsinki area since 1971. Emu was always there for you, he'd remember what kind of jazz you were interested in and was always excited and enthusiastic about both new albums and second hand stuff and eager to find something special just for you.

He was also a close friend to many local musicians and he would gladly stock some copies of self released student recordings and obscure small pressing CD-R's and whatever else musicians in his customer-base had to offer and give whatever little support an independent record store guy could like staging free gigs at the store. From a trip to India, he brought back some local exotic flute specifically for saxophonist Mikko Innanen (of Plop) because he thought Innanen would get a kick out of playing something like that and this is the first track Innanen recorded with that flute - named after and dedicated to Emu.

Then last October just before the test pressings of this album came out, Emu suddenly died of leukemia just three days after the diagnosis. He never heard the track, so this particular track went quickly from a dedication to a memorial.

OP here. Oh gosh where to start, I'll reply by track.
1) "Woodlands" by Robert Wood on "Sonabular"
I don't believe there are two sets of vibes, but damn he likes to keep things full of sound. Drums are not Hamid Drake or Ches Smith but actually Gilbert Artman. As the album goes on you'll find it will be a bit much to enjoy it all, maybe.

2) "The Wane" by Steve Lacy on "Stalks"
Listen I don't know what to say besides the fact that Steve Lacy is mental, just insane. Good of you to note Evan Parker here as well. I agree 100% to the thought of hearing this live over a record, that's a given.

3) "What About Mummy" by Tokyo Active NEETS on "Touhou Bakuon Jazz 12"
So these guys are covering Snarky Puppy on their tune "What About Me". They take the original and make it minor. But as you said, the type of things they are doing are common themes among some Japanese artists in jazz. Some do it better than others.

Continued...

1) Never heard of either Robert Wood or Gilbert Artman before - very cool that these are guys from the early 70's. Certainly feels like they were ahead of their time.

2) oh it was Lacy, now I kind of feel embarrassed not having thought of him. Stalks is a pretty obscure album at least - 100% sure I haven't heard a track from it before. Great cover, someone should bundle this with Don Cherry's Orient for a nice 70's foodstuff/odd music bundle deal.

3) I've had enough opportunities to travel in Asian countries in my life to really start appreciating both the pure zen-style approach to even simple things with no shame or irony and also the Asian style almost cruel self-irony, but safe to say that based on name alone I'm pretty sure "Tokyo Active NEETS" is not really my kind of band.

I'm 100% sure there is a place in the world for a Japanese band covering Snarky Puppy to tie some obvious strings together, so who am I to judge.

I know every big jazz fan probably hates jazz-funk but do you guys know of any good albums in that style? I only really like On the Corner and Of Human Feelings so far

since this thread has several 10 track selections already and it's been such a long time since we last did this I feel like doing a quick themed 5-track "trumpet/flugelhorn/cornet-led 2017 releases" one

I can do it tomorrow or next week just as well, so let's get some yay's or nay's for more blindfold fun in this thread

Requesting any piano-centric jazz.

4) "Off Duet" by Ron Pittner on "Out From The Edge"
I don't have much to say about Ron Pittner, but I do enjoy this album very much. I plan on looking into him sometime soon. I'll give Rissanen/Risser a look when I have the time as well.

5) "Easy Now" by Orrin Evans on "Easy Now"
This was my first exposure to his music and I am hoping to find more in his discography that, well hopefully succeeds the efforts made on this one so I can feel something more than what you've stated.

6) "Mr Dharma" by Masato Honda on "Real Fusion"
It ain't Marcus Miller, I believe it's Hideki Matsubara. Yeah it's nothing 'new' stylistically, especially since it came out in 2000. I am really just a Masato Honda fan from his work in T-Square and solo career, he can wail.

7) "Black Lace Freudian Slip" by René Marie on "Black Lace Freudian Slip"
So this track, and really this album don't keep up the high points. There are really nifty ideas happening here and there, then it's just blues cliches. I'll check our Lorez Alexandria's Baltimore Oriole.

8) "Call Me" by Ichiko Hashimoto on "Vega"
So it's not Glasper. I think you might enjoy the record, it definitely stays interesting throughout and while I can't speak to whether they got to where they wanted, I've personally found a lot of joy in the record.

Continued...

I really liked it, I’ll listen to the whole album. Thanks dude!

9) "Painted Paradise" by Jiro Inagaki on "Funky Stuff"
Good luck finding this album. I went to Shibuya and couldn't get my hands on it. The old man working in Discland Jaro (amazing store) told me that I would never be able to find the vinyl unless I met a collector willing to sell. He guessed the price of it to be about a thousand American. Now, I've yet to look further because I don't have that money and trust his word, but it seemed very rare and sought after. Even in Shibuya, heck I got the same responses over some Masaru Imada albums, in terms of difficulty of finding that is. One thing about Funky Stuff is the mixing on it, it was produced very, very well for 1974.

10) "Hunt Up Wind" by Hiroshi Fukumura on "Hunt Up Wind"
Yep it's Japanese, I've got a thing for their music. I'll give Quintonial a go, nice to hear of some Canadian jazz artists, speaking of which I'm seeing Phil Dwyer tomorrow night.

I can probably make another list soon, but for you or anyone who wants download links to the albums listed I can provide, just request. Here is an album just for the hell of it, it's pic related.
mega.nz/#F!IKA0WIxT!ergrS8AlpPIq_wWTVB5qqg

the spirit of Ornette Coleman compels any free-spirited jazz fan to like a number of relatively funky things!

if you like Of Human Feelings, there's a very cool little world of things to discover. Ornette's Dancing In Your Head is probably the core of that world - it's an amazing album in it's own style. I really thing had it come 10 years earlier, everyone would know it as one of the great jazz albums. By 1977 the critical mass wasn't there anymore and today it feels like a footnote, but I honestly think in retrospect that it's an almost Bitches Brew -quality milestone recording.

Check out The Brecker Bros. album from 1975 and the self-titled Tower of Power from '73, Billy Cobham's Spectrum, Herbie's Head Hunters and Thrust, George Duke's Feel, Faces in Reflection and The Aura Will Prevail.

in my experience a lot of fairly hard-core jazz-fans dig early-to-mid 70's funk - myself certainly included, you already like some pretty great adventurous funk albums so just keep digging - avoid shame, a lot of cool music to discover

This is such a pretentious idea, and is why jazz is scene as a pretentious genre

Would anyone make a thread like this for rock, punk or hip hop? Ever? Even classical?

>"HURR DURR IS YOUR COCK BIG ENOUGH TO GUESS WHO IS PLAYING JUST BY LISTENING?"

Just talk about the music, pretentious dick waving faggots

OP here, I've been doing all the 10 track lists, I think I should use a tag as well. So I will on this post and from now on in these threads.

Go for it with the 5-track idea, I'm all encouragement for it.

Funk ain't bunk man. There's tons of great jazz-funk.

Check out Funky Stuff - Jiro Inagaki, here's the download link.
mega.nz/#F!AWhHxYzS!cPfEGbqjxff9uMppAqv03w

4) again very cool to see this was an early 70's obscurity - never heard of Ron Pittner before. Nothing cooler than uncovering a new opening for a vein to dig into.

5) I definitely find Orrin Evans to be a very interesting character right now - cool to hear that this was him and I'm suddenly a lot more interested in listening to this again.

Not going to lie, I'm an Internet-era white skin color middle class jazz person so the concept of Orrin Evans replacing Ethan Iverson in The Bad Plus is all kinds of weird, cool, strange, wtf...

In the old /blindfold/ -threads when Monk-influences was the biggest meme with just putting a version of Caravan as track 10, there was some track where the contemporary monkness was so strong that someone couldn't help of thinking of Orrin Evans playing with a status of his idol Monk perched on the piano quietly approving/judging or whatever. The details have disappeared, but thanks to /blindfold/ I can't listen to Evans without mentally connecting him to Monk anymore.

cool bro

in the previous /blindfold/ days I think we had a decent, if really small community (of about 6 people desu) going without trips, just some way of knowing who the regulars were from week to week - yeah, some week someone impersonated me randomly, but no one was fooled and why would anyone care outside of this concept anyway

I feel like posting my 5 before sleeping, so expect some more blindfold fun in the next few hours...

Guessing the artist is only a small part of the whole thing.

Just read the thread you dumb dumb.

>Not going to lie, I'm an Internet-era white skin color middle class jazz person

You mean like 99% of the people who listen to and play jazz in 2018?

Your posts are written in a nauseatingly pretentious style. "I find this to be extremely..." I actually wince in real life reading them. Stop trying to "be" something and just be.

Robert Wood is still pretty elusive to me, so I'd like to hopefully mend that. Good idea with Don Cherry's Orient though.
>Orrin Evans replacing Ethan Iverson in The Bad Plus
Well shit. I honestly don't know how to feel about this.

I was not ever a part of the old /blindfold/ threads so this Monk-influences meme is new to me, and also now I don't think I'll be able to get rid of the image of Orrin Evans and Monk from my head.

I'll be headed out to a dinner/show later so unfortunately I won't be back for quite some time, I can phone-post potentially. Please do send the 5 when you can. I'll take note of what you said about trips, and hopefully this can be the beginning of a new community, I just hope I'll have the time to keep it alive.

reminder that /classical/ copied this concept at one point - lot of fun the week I entered (and I sucked a lot less than expected in my guesses), but unfortunately that didn't survive

this concept would scale great if classical had as many recognizable instrumental voices or rock had the mobility of individuals playing in a large variety of different groups

youtube.com/watch?v=JW6znI_W3H8

Some people choose to play guessing game. But that's actually not the point. The point is to just give your opinion on the music. It's not only unpretentious (I shat on a Bill Evans track earlier!) but it helps you find new music often.
Dude I love Yosuke now. Keep posting around here, man. You seem to actually know your way around Japanese jazz it seems, going beyond being just weeb based interests.

Thanks user checking it right now.

I love /blindfold/ because it fundamentally changes what Sup Forums is for me in an interesting way

In other threads I make snarky anonposts like everyone else, in /blindfold/ I've gotten to know others - get some sort of personal connection going - all voluntarily.

I really don't know what to make of people confusing vulnerability to pretentiousness desu.

Mellow mood, hope you like it.

Does anybody want to rec some favorite Orrin Evans recordings? I've seen people reccing him so I checked out pic related but I wasn't that into it.

I was once watching the Letterman show, Dave was down in the audience talking to someone and I heard my friend laughing. Sure enough, she was in the audience a few rows behind where Dave was.
The human mind is capable of IDing other people by very esoteric means. Jazz music encourages individual style, which makes these threads fun.
Why do you hate fun, user? Do you yell at people doing team trivia in bars? Do you think they think that they're better than you? Do you want to outlaw Jeopardy?

Go go go - just more 5 tracks, easier /blindfold/ fun. And there's a fucking theme! Trumpet/flugelhorn/cornet/similar comedy brass dude is the leader!

Thanks. I really do have a thing for Japanese jazz, if you'd like more Yosuke here's the full Cotton Club album I put a track from up in one of the /blindfold/'s.
mega.nz/#F!0TBzHJxC!f1muDez8ts100uvVC1ZIyg
Other than that here's another set, this time smaller because I am afraid I'm out of time for now, hopefully this stays alive.
mega.nz/#F!hOBwCCbY!rSWrzgYmsCMAiZvOHVRkug

oh and it's all 2017 releases - get your jazz-ass to this decade and the rest will follow

Right as I have to leave! I'll download this now, and reply when I can, thanks Jazzpossu.

some obvious choices
youtube.com/watch?v=3HkGAFDE3wI
youtube.com/watch?v=6hlJoaW6uj8
and a slow one
youtube.com/watch?v=fLJ5kI-zKBA

I don't have time to do a close listen, but I'm glad to see these threads again.
I'll throw out some thoughts on I'll skip 1 since I accidentally saw it in the thread.
2. That intro sounded fairly Oscar Peterson-esque to me. Sounds like Hawk on the horn, though he starts off playing a bit further back on the beat than I'm used to him playing. This track swings pretty hard. I'm not sure who the drummer is but that hi-hat is landing in a great spot. Oh shit there are two horns. Ben Webster and Coleman Hawkins then? I thought they only made that one album together though and I don't recognize this track, been a while though. 4 stars
3. I don't find this track all that interesting. I don't know that much about organ players, honestly, maybe later Lonnie Smith? 2.5 stars
Accidentally saw 4 too
5. The organ really overbears the other instruments in the mix. Sounds more modern, maybe something from the 90s? Someone in the crowd just said "yeah jo-sky" so maybe this is an MMW album with Scofield. I'm used to Scofield's tone being a bit thicker, but maybe that's just the mix. 3 stars
6. Goddamn, what's the name of this tune? I've played it about 20 times... Nope I'm blanking. I don't know about guesses but the touch on the keys is nice. The tone on the trumpet seems a little harsh for the context, but the solo was good enough. 3.5 stars
7. It's sorta hard to make a synth work in a more straight ahead context. The playing is decent. Not a big fan of the base tone. I'll throw out Hiromi as a guess, I'm not really familiar with anyone who plays a lot of this stuff. Maybe it's 90s Chick and I'm just not familiar. Not a big fan of the drumming really. It could believably be Dave Weckl. 2.5 stars

I'm an ...It was beauty kind of guy...

I think I had a cool contrast on one one_composition/two_artists one with Orrin's take on Ornette's Blues Connotation and John Zorn's Spy vs. Spy one - the Sup Forums audience was less impressed

BLINDFOLD OPPORTUNITY HERE
just 5 tracks
2017 RELEASES, TRUMPET or SIMILAR PERSON IS THE LEADER

8. Tune is Iris. And it's the original recording of it too. Great tune, great recording, fantastic solos and dynamite interaction. Herbie's playing is just gorgeous. That rhythmic interaction in Wayne's solo. Everything's so great it's hard to pick stuff out, honestly. 5 stars
9. Love it when you start off with a bass solo. Sounds like Ornette's quartet. Almost sounds arranged at times, like going into the trumpet solo. Maybe my guess is totally off base. It was good though. 4.5 stars
10. Moment's Notice. Guitar duet? Pretty good shit, liking those open chords. Ah it's an electric bass. Not as big a fan of the bass solo. Really like the arrangement of the head. 3.5 stars

thank you, my dude

feel free to dig in deeper to the discography of any player on the album, you'll find a world of cool stuff. I guarantee it (mens wearhouse jazz guarantee)

Holy shit, I didn't even notice Bebob was back!

Low on participation, but strong technical opinions - a true expert - messiah

( who is jtg anyway... considerations )

>www38.zippyshare.com/v/zkVyInxT/file.html

I have gone through the steps needed to get this - I'm not sure if I got this. It is 2018.

Great to see you back around Jazzpossu.
>Low on participation, but strong technical opinions - a true expert - messiah
Haha ok. Good to know where my strengths lie.

DOWNLOAD 5 TRACK BLINDFOLD HERE
www115.zippyshare.com/v/poOPycbr/file.html

you know this to be true *waves hand*

Thanks, I liked all of them.

Thanks for the links bruh. As I said earlier, track 4 (the blindfold track that's from that album) was a favorite of mine despite being fusiony. Keep it up.

Hey boys,

Hugh Masekela really did die this week: youtube.com/watch?v=NG3oKb2JQow