/daily/ - Bad music edition

The point of these threads is to tripfag circlejerk with a bunch of nerds on the internet. We do this by pretending to listen to albums everybody has already heard. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to "acquire taste" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

: )

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Other urls found in this thread:

remekhanaj.bandcamp.com/album/magura-dreptak
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nate-scheible/fairfax/
natescheible.bandcamp.com/album/fairfax
youtube.com/watch?v=GymbC8P5OqI
uvm.edu/~aivakhiv/Atomic-Land.m4a
youtube.com/watch?v=BO3KYNF_jdk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Jam
youtube.com/watch?v=-naJR_rhkUM&list=PLdjrwPDoXHLA9MAECvEV3_JB6BgvUuzy-&index=3
jesusbelluci.bandcamp.com/album/get-50-or-die-starving
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previously on /daily/
a ded thred

should go to sleep but i'm up late watching road rage compilations

good choice

/daily/ reminder no one likes "Jangle&Bojangle" and he should genuinely stop posting

hey don't be mean u nerd

Is this another overly long series of vaporwave mixes like 100 Hours of Vaporwave? [spoiler]If so sign me the fuck up[/spoiler]

Good-day /daily/, how are you doing? Tried Hex Enduction Hour, it was brilliant - many thanks to whomever recommended it (apologies for forgetting the poster). Going to try Sweet Exorcist soon, looking forward to it.

That sounds enjoyable, are the incidents of road rage international or confined to a specific country? I'd always assume them to be mostly former-USSR clips if the former.

Oh no!

Hey there /daily/! How is it going?
Currently listening to Krano - Requiescat In Plavem, as following my tracklist. it's kinda good so far.

Feeling good, currently browsing Spotify & stuff to find album covers idea because I like making fake album covers sometimes ^^

I'm going to listen to that Krano album in 10-20 mins. Thank-you for mentioning it! What sort of album covers do you like? Came across this album recently and quite appreciated the cover though I can understand if you don't like it, still might be of interest. Hope you're having a pleasant day thus far.

It's pretty solid folk rock album, very cozy I think.

Well, I like almost every style of album covers but I must say I love the graphic style of the Riddim label Disciple Round Table. Here's an example!

I quite like your example, it's cool to see album art with paintings.

That album was great, not going to lie I did get worried for a moment that Va Pian would end on seven minutes of silence with perhaps a morsel of ambiance (for added effect I suppose) though instead there was a rather nice slow-core section with slow, tribal-like drums and droning vocals. Thanks again for mentioning it, I'll listen to it a good 9-19 times.

Some were in the US and some in the UK

Indeed it is! No problem! I'll post my listening chart when I'll finish the 4th life of it, so it means 2 albums left to listen to.

Does anybody know what's up with Rutracker? It looks pretty broken from my side.

Finished my chart. Highlights were Tragic Mulatto, Matana Roberts and Avalanches. Already started with this eyesore...

...here. Anybody got any tipps what to listen next?

Baby Huey is some mind blowing funk stuff.

you are *this* close

camp lo

>Leaf Hound - Growers of Mushroom (1971)

It's sacrilege to say so but I find this to be overrated. A now massively popular hard rock/heavy psych album from an obscure British group. Reviewers inevitably and accurately describe their sound as a hybrid of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple. Then again, who in this realm didn't sound like those groups in 1971? The thing is, none of the musicians have the chops of Zeppelin, or unique vision of Sabbath, nor do they rock quite as hard as Deep Purple. I understand the appeal digging through crates for alternatives to the big guys, but there are better and more compelling options, T2 and Blue Cheer, for example. These songs unfortunately never develop or evolve--and were quite rudimentary to begin with. Psychedelic? Never. Progressive? Depending on one's loose definition. More accurately, it's hard blues. With the exception to the rule of "Work My Body," don't even expect a ton of wailing solos. In short, I won't be a hater...listen if you dig this stuff, but then move onto something more interesting and dynamic.
6/10

bump

remekhanaj.bandcamp.com/album/magura-dreptak
Interesting avant-folk singles, from Boland

>it's vaportrap all the way
ugh

how is it that there's enough self-confidence so certain subgenres are looked down within the vaporwave community? don't pretend that you're not already the lowest of the low

>don't pretend that you're not already the lowest of the low
I mean, nightcore, crabcore and modern breakdown metalcore are things, so...
I'm complaining it's all a single subgenre, unlike 100 Hours which had all kinds of stuff.

>crabcore and modern breakdown metalcore
you can listen to those genres and go out, in fact that's what they're made for, so they've already got more going on than fucking donna summer slowed down
and fuck off it's not any different just because they downloaded a trap sample pack

edgy.

this is some beautiful ambient storytelling

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nate-scheible/fairfax/
natescheible.bandcamp.com/album/fairfax

if i want ambient storytelling i'll listen to a vlog

I remember there being one track on there that was great but the rest let me down
One of the best album covers of 2017 tho
please direct me towards ambient vlogs

hmm
youtube.com/watch?v=GymbC8P5OqI

also that wasn't meant to come off as condescending; was genuinely curious if that was a thing

well vlogs and podcasts and stuff are primarily just background noise already but if you mean spoken word ambient yeah that's also a thing obviously, bull of heaven, robert ashley, lil b

ok that's not the same i know and you prob know those memes, in case that came off as condescending bc of those implications i guess

I found a fixed version of the broken track on Baпняки пiд гoлим нeбoм
uvm.edu/~aivakhiv/Atomic-Land.m4a
(it's good)

I think I found it more enjoyable as a full package instead
Are there actual pleasantly calm and quiet vloggers that do less talking and more showing

Check out some ASMR vids

Thank you! Just listened to the album last night and was sad that track was broken cuz it's the best one on the album!

trip activated

trap activated

well i mean... when i'm wearing the right outfit

imagine being unironically ukrainian

>remekhanaj.bandcamp.com/album/magura-dreptak

I can't stop laughing

i accidentally opened a folder i have with 175 RYM pages bookmarked in its entirety and i got IP banned from RYM

mother fuck

i appreciate this pig post

Anyone ever hear of Houston? They were kind of like Hum, but never ended up as big.

youtube.com/watch?v=BO3KYNF_jdk

Y-yeah, that'd be hilarious haha

yeah that album is surprisingly idk sophisticated

explain

Those top two rows are both insanely good imo

Hey this chart is actually not too bad!

[1/2]

Louis Prima - The Wildest (1956)
>Swing, Big Band

I’m sure for people of the era this was pretty wild but as you’d imagine this is tame by modern standards. Prima is absolutely filled to the brim with energy though and spends most of the album screaming passionately and belting his loudest. Backed by a big band orchestra, it’s pretty bold and bombastic and honestly a whole lot of fun. Songwriting wise, it’s pretty fun and clever and Prima mixes it up between medleys, covers and even a few originals on here. Throughout the whole thing he keeps it light and bright and it’s a short little listen. Not too crazy but I could see this being quite popular back in the mid 50s.

3/5

Little Richard - Here’s Little Richard (1957)
>Rock N Roll

Now this is the shit I’m talking about! Speaking of energy, this thing is just /off the walls/ happy, as Richard just yelps and screams and shouts and does everything imaginable to keep things going. The band on here is fantastic, they aren’t too crazy by modern standards once again, but they are filled with energy and have a lot of fun. There’s fun little solos along with the accompaniment and they jump around in little tears of jazz and blues or honestly whatever manages to compliment Little Richard the best. The brilliance of this and imo the biggest influence is the way this manages to blend genres. There’s touches of soul and R&B alongside the blues and jazz and they blend together to create this mix that would eventually become early rock n roll. It’s actually pretty fascinating to hear the way the different sounds are incorporated actually, they build to something cohesive by the end even though it’s really a bit of a smattering. The band is tight, Little Richard is on fire and filled with crazy passion and the songs are just fun.

One of those rare 50s albums that is worth a listen over the greatest hits in my experience. This isn’t just influential, it’s incredibly cohesive, as all the songs are amazing in their own way. I don’t know nearly enough about the decade as I’d like but this is definitely among the best 50s albums I’ve heard. Life affirming.

Buddy Holly and the Crickets - The “Chirping” Crickets (1957)
>Rock N Roll

Holly gets a lot of shit because he got popular and a lot of black musicians who essentially did the same exact thing didn’t but that doesn’t take away from the fact that this is really damn good. There may be a cultural issue or bias in the music industry and I don’t want to ramble on too long about this shit - but being a skeptic and someone who gets way too wrapped up into those things I was pleasantly surprised by this. There’s an absolutely gorgeous atmosphere on this album and it’s one that seemingly influential on a huge span of psych imo. This album blends elements of doo-wop with a little bit of a surf edge and makes it into something a bit hazy and woozy. The brilliance of this album though is not just the dreamy sound but its brevity. Every song on here is around the 2 minute mark, with the longest standing at 2:22. Yet Holly manages to pack something beautiful into each song, letting them stick around into the idea swirls around in your head - and then it’s on to the next one. I love that this is cozy and short but that’s really what make this special imo. Think of it this way - this could be 8 three minute tracks instead of 12 two minute ones and it would half as impactful. For something so simple, this has a lot going for it and it’s a lot more than charm or atmosphere. Awesome.

i keep a folder of rym pages with stuff i wanna listen to (basically a wishlist except i don't use the wishlist folder)

in trying to open a bookmark in that folder i accidentally opened the whole folder, which caused 150 RYM pages to open and i guess they don't like that

What's in it?

stuff i find while i'm browsing lists and all that. if I ever make/do a bookmark chart (which i'm doing next), that's the stuff in the folder.

bovine

water buffalo

bison

Sweet

im gay! fuck!

>6999
damn...

gay!@!

Good morning /daily/!

Gf's work is till 8 so I have a bunch of time to listen to music and maybe force myself to write something.

Starting with this one.

What are you fellas up to? Anything fun?

just spent an hour organizing my record collection alphabetically and now kinda regret it.
Thanks for checking in on me Dogwander!

>just spent an hour organizing my record collection alphabetically and now kinda regret it.
how many records is that?
>Thanks for checking in on me Dogwander!
What would I do without my /daily/boiz!

ox

bow

you didn't think you were getting away, did you

I guess you could say Chris Moriss' (Blue) Jam qualifies as an ambient vlog. It was a radio show that later got adapted to some kind of TV shows. It's pretty amazing (and fucked up) imo.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Jam

so glad you liked the room extended and community. need to listen to the earth and the sky.

Actually managed to be a bit productive today for a change and recorded a Zemfira and 2 Kino covers. Was trying to do another one, but my fingers are dying.

aa

Will you be posting it on your BC?

Lol that's interesting, any updates on whether or not they listened to your situation?

juicy

idk like 50-70? all i know is each and every record had to be taken off and then put back in order and I never want to do it again.

uhhhhh, we finna cop a listen?

So tell me, why don't you pathetic trip fags just go on Reddit? You're in a general, with trips on, and you're all cringey to boot! It's literally the Reddit embassy here

Yes!
sheeet that's a lot of sorting
Maybe sometime, I still have more covers to record
Only because it gets people like you butthurt babe

why did you post this?

Jangle you're not fooling anyone

This board is already dead

Literally someone in this thread calling this chart avant-teen with fucking Brian Eno and Cluster on it

and of course if I post something about "this is one of the few decent places left on mu" there'll be a bunch of people agreeing and saying that they only come to mu for daily

>literal who composers
>belle and sebastian and flotation toy warning
>fucking APOLLO ENO
you've triggered me

It just looks like somebody's chart that they've tried to put on a pedestal

Why do people come on mu if all they try to do is distance themselves as much as possible from everybody else on mu. And somebody having "bland taste" shouldn't be a fuckin death sentence. Either they haven't been into music long enough for them to reach supposed "patrician taste" or they just prioritize their time in other ways.

>>literal who composers
>Feldman
>Nono

didnt mean to imply the chart was exemplary though so my bad, it was the usage of avant-teen

>Why do people come on mu if all they try to do is distance themselves as much as possible from everybody else on mu
you're already doing this just by posting on daily and listening to EAI/onkyo lol
>And somebody having "bland taste" shouldn't be a fuckin death sentence.
it shouldn't be, but it doesn't help when anyone with taste besides the norm is laughed at

Review is a bit sloppy but what's new?

The Louvin Brothers - Tragic Songs of Life (1956)
>Country

I am woefully out of the loop when it comes to country music so I can’t exactly compare this to its contemporaries. However, one of the few 50s album that really stands out to me is Marty Robbins’ Trail Songs and the two are quite different. This album relies less on storytelling and more on the dynamic between the brothers and the comfy harmonies they craft. There’s certainly a lot more twang to this one as well, the harmonies have this odd flair to em. Over the course of a full album, even one this short, it’s a style that I find a bit grating honestly. They’re certainly talented and the songs are pretty catchy but it isn’t exactly my favorite sound out there. Lyrically, this is even darker than I had anticipated. Most of the songs revolve around heartbreak but there’s a few super intense ones. “Knoxville Girl” is about beating a girl to death and “Take News to Mother” is about soldiers dying in the war. The latter is way too overly patriotic for my taste but there’s a message I’m sure many people during this era related to. Anyway, I could see this being influential and important but honestly, it just isn’t for me. And I don't really care enough about country or its history for this to have an impact on me.

lol I guess so. I post about EAI and onkyo just cuz it's music I like tho. It's not like there's a community dedicated to talking about it (not that I've been able to find)

Can somebody please recommend me a country album that isn't alt-country? I like alt-country but it's just not the same.
Any artists other than the Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Terry Allen, the well-known ones.

I second Jam/Blue Jam because anything Morris touches becomes gold

idk if they really really count as ambient because he does talk a lot, but Noah-Caldwell Gervais' travel vlogs are excellent. The topics he broaches are really interesting. And he's also a funny guy. So if you want to hear an hour and a half of philosophical meandering over videos of gorgeous backdrops, check this out.
youtube.com/watch?v=-naJR_rhkUM&list=PLdjrwPDoXHLA9MAECvEV3_JB6BgvUuzy-&index=3

>Culture II is 100 minutes long
>two good songs
why do rappers keep doing this?

I dig a lot of Migos singles but there are maybe two hip hop albums ever significantly longer than an hour that actually feel justified in being so.

Isn't the point of having mixtapes to you can dump all your garbage and avoid criticism? Why is this an album?

that's why they called it culture 2

because this time it has 2 good songs

guy next to me at library stinks. what do, Sup Forums?

I don't get why trap rappers keep doing this to themselves. The best trap rap mixtape so far is Tay-K's SantanaWorld at a beautiful 16 minutes

lmao

grindtrap when?

wait shit i forgot this is actually the best trap rap release and it is pretty much on the way to grindtrap
jesusbelluci.bandcamp.com/album/get-50-or-die-starving

I have no motivation to listen to that album because if an album is 100 minutes it's sure to a bloated, overly long mess. Especially in hip-hop, as much as I love it.

How have rappers not learned from literally two decades of other people doing it and fucking it up? It's absolutely mind boggling.