I don't understand a lot of midfielders considered to be the best on the planet. Take the example of this guy...

I don't understand a lot of midfielders considered to be the best on the planet. Take the example of this guy. He passed sideways 95% of the time.

In more recent times, Modric and kroos are considered to be the best midfielders in the world right now. But they don't actually do anything except pass sideways and backwards. Am I missing something obvious?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R_y4aQ8kSEY
youtube.com/watch?v=vU2h-CMjq4M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yes

You watch the game, you don't see xavi. You watch xavi, you see the whole game.

Yes

See games when those clubs play without them

hamsik is unironically a top 5 midfielder in the last 10 years

What is the difference? I'm an ameriburger and not as intuitive when it comes to football. I've seen barca dominate without Iniesta and Xavi a lot of times so I don't know.

i still don't rate Kroos, but i always liked the fact that it's impossible to take the ball from him

players can pass the ball to him even when he's pressured and he can recycle possession - i imagine Modric is the the same

>i don't rate kroos

>i still don't rate Kroos

Who do you rate then if not kroos

>he rates xavi alone
Lmao. Plebs.

All the patricians know it was the holy triangle of tiki taka, xavi, Iniesta and Busquets, that carried Messi, Barcelona and Spain.

Sale thing with modric, kroos and isco now.

>Not rating Casemiro.

It was an example though. Biscuits cannot do anything by himself without Xavi or Iniesta

This.

>le pass into space to pace mongers man

I'm with you here, lots of games end and people say "incredible game from Iniesta" and I'm like "did he do anything?"

>bisquits can do nothing by himself
>xavi needs iniesta otherwise he is a glorified scholes
>iniesta can perform alone and resolve a game in the most critical situations
I think we all know who the real goat is

There must be some reason though. Any footballer care to explain?

I just think it's to make them feel more smart

>tf
>tp

Not surprised. He was a God in that early decade midfield.
Since he left what is Barça?

In a game where each player individually only has the ball in his control for a total of 2 or 3 min at best, does that mean that the rest 87min he does nothing?

Closing lines, running to pull defenders, pressuring etc etc etc.

Learn to football.

>I don't understand
we know you don't

>muh passing
>muh club legend
>muh pass to messi

lads he's overrated, remember when he lost at HOME against TEN MEN to Chelsea?

waw

You can draw triangles in the bottom pic

>possession is everything

mind = blown

1- he also made quality vertical passes and long passes with a highball (I don't know how to say this in English)
2- Basically he finds players in good conditions to proceed quickier than most players and makes precise passes. Remember when Florentino Perez ditched Makelele because "he couldn't make a 3 meter pass"?

>people replying

b2r

Same reason a lot of Americans automatically assume it's a boring game if the game is 0-0. US sports are so score focused that it must be very difficult to focus other aspects of the game.

If goal scoring meant everything everyone would just watch football teams' training games, they score tens of goals in a single training session.

>i still don't rate Kroos, but i always liked the fact that it's impossible to take the ball from him
it just means you're a braindead insufferable cunt.
>i don't rate kroos for doing exactly what a midfielder is supposed to do

Apaga y vamonos

>run slightly with ball
>see defender come towards you
>spin 360 degrees
>pass it sideways
W O R L D C L A S S
O
R
L
D

C
L
A
S
S

Remember when Buyern got RAMOS'd in the champion league despite playing the possession game

OP here. I'm in the US but not a citizen. I actually come from a very football crazy nation and I still don't understand what sets modric, kroos apart from other midfielders

me too, can't stand pace setting midfielders like Kroos.

Kroos is like the stereotype of a german, a machine without any glimpse of creativity

search "tacical cam" on youtube, and watch the videos there. You'll understand a lot about football tactics and the importance of a player like him and of "sideways" passes.
For instance, look how important lateral movement on the pitch is
youtube.com/watch?v=R_y4aQ8kSEY
youtube.com/watch?v=vU2h-CMjq4M

>Am I missing something obvious?
Yes you are.

To get a better grasp you need to watch more football. Not just highlights, full games. Read a tactical analysis (preferably by an European author) of any particular match of your favorite team and watch that game a couple of times and you might begin to grasp some of the concepts of the game.

To really understand you need to actually play the game yourself. It's the only way for you to stop taking for granted aspects such as positioning, ball control, physicality, awareness, intelligence on and off the ball, timing, etc.

Only then will the brilliance of players like Xavi or Kroos be perceptible to you.

But then again, someone who says Modric only passes sideways and backwards might be too much of a blind retard.

I was exaggerating

yeah yeah theyre good but at the end of the day you need someone to score and obviously they are not good scorers

Indeed. He thinks hella fast, and I don't know anybody else who can first-touch pass as well as he can. Smooth.

Kek this some FUThead top comment shit

Play competitive football with your friends, rent a bigger pitch. The best player will be the one who holds possession and has a cool head, always. I am a "le run fast and tap-in" wigger, I don't think. Those 5 feet manlets will stay on the middle on the pitch and you can put three guys up against him, he will not lose the ball, he will not miss a beat, and he will find someone.

he just needs to watch fom a different perspective. All matches in tv are shown from the side, and this highlights only the importance of vertical movement and passing, losing the lateral aspect of the game.

Tactical cams instead show the field from above, so you can see better how the teams try to occupy the full width of the pith and how lateral movements and passes can break down a team defense.
That or going to see a match at the stadium

I point OP against to my previous post

autism

Players like Modric are like a filter in the midfield of a team. Each play and movement, lets say in this case, attacking, is rehearsed in trainings and when there is no space for a specific play, Modric just appears and resets everything without losing the ball. Then he starts another play trusting his vision and what he decides will be the correct one.

If a midfielder has also the long pass atribute (another one he has), he can just star a long pass play. Sometimes the game is too fast and depending of the instructions of the manager, you can slow it down, so people like Modric or Riquelme come in.

The difference is that Modric has LOTS of attributes. Speed, vision, fast ball control, long pass, etc. He is complete and you as a manager can trust that everything you ask him will be done.

t. customer still butthurt they let him go for 25 million because he dared to expect as much pay as Götze

>slovakia

no bias

xavi was a good midfielder but thinking he's somehow GOAT or whatever you plebbitors say these days is fucking funny

To be fair Xavi Iniesta Busquets absolutely dominated every team in all aspects during pep's era.

ok fatty

>isco

Good post

Isco is pretty good.

What did he mean by this?

Is he memeing

heres a (You) seen this comment too many times

Upboated xD

Xavi could creates miles of space with a simple touch of the ball, he could pick out the perfect pass either first time or after just 1 touch, he would only touch the ball more than twice if he was holding off 2 or 3 players or there was open space to run into. He could pick passes anywhere on the pitch and it would just land right infront of people, on their strong foot at the exact right time for them to control & shoot. He could raise & lower the tempo of the match depending on the energy of the team & what the opposition was doing.

He's pure genius the way he see's the game and would make a pretty decent manager if not for his passive nature but since he's basically old school he still has that strong character about him.

I've only seen him pass sideways though

So? You should try watching him friend, I'm sure there's plenty of highlight reels on the tube.

#Respect

>He passed sideways 95% of the time.

There's a player called Márcio Araújo who pass sideways 100% of the time, and he is an absolute shit player.

>I don't rate Massaraujo
Holy fuck, this pleb.

Take it to your club, I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker.

He literally passed forward to assist a goal in the 2011 Champions League final. Try harder you fat yank cunt.

I'm a Napoli fan so kinda biased but if he was Spanish he'd be playing next to Modric at Madrid and lauded as one of the best right now

Really activate my almond

Threadly reminder that the GOAT CM was, in fact, English

The whole Biased thing no longer exists imo.
People won't just buy players based on the school they went at. ex Spanish n Portuguese Academies, maybe Hollish too.
I think if they see talent in players nowadays they just give money and try to sculpture them as players and make them their own product.
Examples are Odegaard, Dembele, Pulisic. Came from meme leagues and obviously from memeier Academies but look at them now.

except inter's
and chelsea's