Mark Smith

I'm watching 'The Wonderful and Frightening World of Mark E Smith'. I've been a Fall fan for 15 or so years (since I was 16) I saw them live around 20 times, including three nights on the run in Liverpool. I'll still be listening to them when I'm 60, God willing.

youtu.be/BoVbq1K74f0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IcXj_ZdKmcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=kbwF1EB-u5o
youtube.com/watch?v=uoRsoUOpxkY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

WHY DID HE DIE

Idk why

fucking tragic.

I would just like to say that Mark E Smith is the only self-absorbed egomaniac that I can forgive entirely for his crimes. He thought highly of himself, but he actually had a fucking good reason to.

Mark was a shit dresser.

Not that much of a fan of The Fall but MES seemed like a decent guy, shame about him.

ive never felt the same way about any band before and now they're gone
fuck

Same here lad, got everything and I'll play it forever, actual magic in some of it.
Just played lay of the land, if the hurr fall are shit mob would just turn that up and let go it would save a lot of time.

How many of the old weirdo virtuosos do we have left? The only person on the same level of Mark E Smith I can name off of the top of my head is Stephen Malkmus and Richard David James.

I mean, I know there are thousands of ORIGINAL artists out there, but not all of the original people possess as much RAW creative energy as this fellows.

*#say no more*
youtube.com/watch?v=IcXj_ZdKmcQ

Don't jinx it lads

>How many of the old weirdo virtuosos do we have left?

Robert Pollard

His music isn't that "weird" but he's twice as prolific as MES, makes amazing music still, is 60 and also sings in an English accent

I don't listen to Dylan much now but I like that he's out there somewhere welding metal gates.

>"The last time we [me and MES] spoke, about six months before his death, he was on as good form as ever. He’d moved onto gin chasers instead of whiskey, and was truly excited about the new music The Fall had made. "I've already started on the next one, I'm fucking bursting," he told me around the time the band's last LP, New Facts Emerge, was released. "The new stuff sounds a bit like [The Fall's 25th album] Reformation Post T.L.C. but even madder and a lot of white fucking fuzz in it, and a bit of corny piano, a bit like Van Der Graaf Generator. Maybe a bit of Joe Meek’s Telstar in there – pretty far out."

>"In the interim we have eight new songs ready to go and will try and let you hear a few before Christmas", MES wrote on the official website on November 30th.

Will we get one more album, lads?

Shit! I honestly forgot he's still kicking. I always automatically categorize Dylan as dead in my head, due to how influential he is on all of contemporary history.

I don't know. Is Tom Waits actually as creative as these other fucks we've named, or is he just originally weird? I'd like to add him and Gira to the list, possibly.

And he knows how to be a heavy drinker the safe way

Shit. Again. Someone I keep forgetting is alive.

gira? fuck no, the guy's a hack

>his final concert ever

youtube.com/watch?v=kbwF1EB-u5o

Yikes

How is he a hack? I know virtually nothing about Swans, other than having listened to all of their albums. I don't find him that captivating as a person, so I've never been assed to look into the actual details of his artistry.

Nigga you gotta keep listening to his shit, this came out last year and sounds like it could have easily been a highlight on any of their early 2000s albums

youtube.com/watch?v=uoRsoUOpxkY

> I don't find him that captivating as a person
you just answered your own question, no one actually thinks he's worth anything

I saw Dylan once, definitely the strongest holy fuck that is really X in front of me feeling I ever had. He was great as well, reminded me of Mark the way he changed everything round and didn't have to do much, transfixed people.
Crowd were good as well, more like old pub rock drunks than smelly hippie.

What was the process of The Fall songs be creating?

Did the musicians write a song and then Mark just recited his poetry/vocals over?

Did he have any input melodically, etc.

It was a mix. Sometimes it was jams by the band, sometimes it was ideas a bandmember brought in and fleshed out, sometimes it was Mark's ideas that were fleshed out, sometimes just Mark, occasionally just someone else (usually Brix)

The interesting thing is that over 40 years all the groups were different but sounded like the fall. How he did that I don't know.

kinda embarrassing that Rivers Cuomo is more interesting than Gira

Dear God. This is good. I haven't tracked him under a name other than the original Guided by Voices gig, but, this is good.

Yes, this is fucking good.
Another good oldfag still going is Kristen Hersch, plus Tanya Donnelly who has a beautiful folk voice now.

>Robert Pollard
nah fuck this soy boy

Dan Treacy
Jonathan Richman
Daniel Johnston
Charlemagne Palestine
R Stevie Moor

are the first ones that come to mind... there are lots left!

in reply to

>Pollard
>soy

Dude is a heavy drinkin, blue collar, 6'2" athlete, anti-soy

Scott Walker is still out there