Old, obscure science fiction films

Can we have a thread about good, older maybe more obscure science fiction films Sup Forums?

Watched "Zardoz" yesterday for the first time after seeing it lampooned by various different groups over the last couple years, and I gotta admit, I liked it a lot.

Also watched "Forbidden Planet" for the second time and I really dug the art direction, set scenery etc. (I'm fairly certain that's where Ren & Stimpy got their electric soundtracks for the "Commander Hoek & Cadet Stimpy episodes so I found that amusing).

Anything you anons might suggest? What are some of your favorites or films you consider to be "hidden gems" so to speak?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.imdb.com/title/tt0071647/?ref_=m_nmfmd_dr_2
youtube.com/watch?v=i9N7Z3XEFxU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sign onto facebook and join the Sup Forums group. We're not going to discuss this here with you because we don't want the groups top 10 list to come out on the thread.

>because we don't want the groups top 10 list to come out on the thread.

Really? Why not?

Mind linking me, m8? Can't seem to find it on my own..

I'm having some crazy flashbacks seeing this. I vaguely remember it.

Sup Forums has been overrun with assholes who don't belong here so a lot of us like the privacy of our group.

What do I search? because entering Sup Forums doesn't render anything relevant.

>Forbidden Planet
>obscure
I don't know about that.

>that twist

DUN DUN DUNNNN

Nah, I guess I wouldn't say so. Just unknown to me until previously.

Dark star!!

Bump.

Come on... You faggots see to suck Star Wars cock pretty hard.

I know you fags like shitty old sci-fi movies.

>facebook and join the Sup Forums group
reddit af

you caught me off guard I can't remember any name now

THE TRUMP IS GOOD

No long ago I got me a few "classic" sci-fi/horror movies that I had yet to watch, here's the list in no particular order:
>Forbidden Planet (1956)
>Westworld (1973)
>Solaris (1972)
>Silent Running (1972)
>The Andromeda Strain (1971)
>Logan's Run (1976)
>The Wicker Man (1973)
>Death Race 2000 (1975)

I'd like to mention Outland (1981) that I also enjoyed some time ago.

I enjoyed this one a lot, too.
Fucking Carpenter.

>Old, obscure science fiction films thread
>immediately think to post Forbidden Planet as a gag
>OP mentions it in honest

I didn't mean to imply FP is obscure, I just listed it as something I watched recently.

If anything, I meant Zardoz was obscure.

I really dunno, it most likely isn't.

Not very old, but I've never seen anyone else talk about it. Mad Max with swordfights.

I've heard of Zardoz far too often for it to count as obscure to me.

THE GUN IS GOOD!

Sure, I'm of course speaking from my own experience, I don't doubt plenty of other people have seen it, I really just want a discussion/recommendation of old sci-fi thread.

It was obscure as far as I was concerned.

Ice Pirates OP, it has one of the craziest climaxes ever

DAH WEE-WEE AM NOT SO GOOD

Fine, BE an unhelpful faggot.

See if I care.

>this post

Quatermass and the Pit
Colossus: The Forbin Project
The Omega Man

>Colossus: The Forbin Project

Yeaaaaaaaaaah boyeee, Colossus >>> Skynet

ZARDOZ IS PLEASED

Fuck yeah

>Forbidden Planet
is that obscure? It's pretty well known for starring young Leslie Nielsen.

Also not really sci fi but the title reminded me of The Forbidden Zone. It's pretty weird and obscure but funny as hell.

The Quiet Earth
Planeta Bur (Planet of Storms)
Enemy Mine
Silent Running

Are the Godzilla movies Sup Forums approved?

Silent Running and Death Race 2000 are elder god tier, Logan's Run would have been endless meme potential had Sup Forums existed

>Enemy Mine
"Happened before I was born" is not a useful metric for old, obscure you fetus

Also, when someone in front of me had a vanity plate reading KIZ I snapped it and sent it to Barry Longyear who was very amused

Only amongst the select few my Kaiju loving friend

I really like Moon Zero Two, I first saw it on MST3k and you should ignore the IMDb rating because of it, all MST3k films get hammered on there.

The tag line is quite accurate, it's basically the classic western story of prospector finds a massive load, gets murdered for it, a friend/relative of his comes to claim his land and falls into the middle of the crime along with the new badass in town. Except on the Moon.

Whats your favorite Godzilla movie?

Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah I'm guessing?

Is Dr Quatermass obscure? All 3 movies are great, cleverly written pieces of science fiction.

"Planet of the Vampires" (1965) provided some of the design ideas for the monsters in the Alien franchise.

Oh, neat.

When I was a kid in the 80s I remember my parents winning a gift bag full of stuff at a fan and light store and it included black hole on vhs. That movie fuk a kid up

Great movie, but not really obscure.

Have you seen Cube 2: Hypercube?

This movie is fun.

Its about a man who hires a bounty hunter to guide him through a futuristic wasteland to find him replacement parts for his sex doll. The same director made Miracle Mile.

Omg, havnt thought about this since childhood

>videocasette

t. the "inclusive", "tolerant" left

Who /atomicage/ here?

>not posting the superior poster
There has never been a better tagline in film history.

Not obscure but Galaxy of Terror is really fun

m.imdb.com/title/tt0071647/?ref_=m_nmfmd_dr_2

Idaho Transfer (1973) : During a time of waning global resources, a crew of young researchers travel into the future to escape an apocalypse before the shutdown of their time transfer project. They find that some type of disaster has de-populated the Idaho region and, by implication, the nation or perhaps the world. Facing an unknown, barren future of abandoned towns and deserted vehicles; void of radio signals or any signs of air or land traffic, they encounter an abandoned freight train filled with bagged bodies. Their further discoveries of humanity's future fate is somewhat less than rosy.

Director: Peter Fonda. Budget: Zero.

for all the wrong reasons, you're exactly who he means

Die right wing pig

youtube.com/watch?v=i9N7Z3XEFxU

your a dorable

>inb4 slug alien thingie rape webm

Saturn 3
Old sci-fi is best sci-fi

What are some great non-kaiju monster movies?

oh no all the waifuists have left us for fakebook... what are we to do!!!

:^)

>Outland
mah nigga.

I said non-kaiju.

Stuff like... King Kong or... Beast From 20,000 Fathoms and... Gwanji and such.

good choices
adding demon seed for a touch of sci horr

Them.

The American Astronaut is obscure but not older, but I highly recommend it. Its a good one to go into without knowing a lot about it.

Also forbidden planet made me think of Fantastic Planet, which isnt too obscure but is must watch animation kino.

Also watch Stingray Sam if you like American Astronaut

Been meaning to watch that.

Clash of the Titans? 80s.

Zardoz is a legitimately great movie. Better than 2001. The novelization is just the screenplay with narration but it gets into the characters' heads and really illustrates what a classically scifi plot it is, it's paradigmatic of the old days of the genre when it was just nerdy white guys with a lot of Nietzschean undertones and pent up masculinity.

Seen that, I love all of Ray Harryhausen's work.

It's ideas and themes were a hell of a lot deeper than I initially expected.

It is just a reverse Jesus paradigm though, which is fine, they did something fairly unique with it.

Kin-dza-dza! (1986)
The Witches Cave (1990)

Its the "unwittingly" that clinches it.

It's not, though, it's about the final triumph of human reason. Connery's übermensch is the result of human experimentation and centuries of husbandry in the Brutal populations. The novelization is much more explicit about how OTT superior he is genetically and how he's concealing his power level in most of his interactions with the Eternals. It's also wound up in a lot of Satre and Camus esque ruminations on using radical freedom to cope with the absurdity of life (the Eternals travel to the stars but find nothing of value or importance, and Arthur Frayn/Zardoz eventually has to radically exert his will on the stagnant and decadent Vortex society, with willing his own destruction his only option)
Fuck, i want to watch it again now.

More Connery if you want. He plays a space sheriff trying to take down a drug ring on a mining colony.

Silent Running is absolute overrated garbage. The rest is fine, but Outland deserves a higher mention.

here's my 'obscure' sci-fi

The Outer Limits (1963)
Black Moon (1975)
Trip to Mars (1924)
Marooned (1969)
Gold (1934)
Just Imagine (1930)
Phase IV (1974)
Our Heavenly Bodies (1925)
A Trip to Mars (1918)
The End of the World (1916)
At 3:25 (1924)
Planet Patrol (1963–1968)
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun (1969)
The Deadly Invention (1958)
Barbarella (1968)
Riders to the Stars (1954)
The Spider (1958)
The Ghost of Slumber Mountain (1918)
Voyage to the End of the Universe (1963)
Mad Love (1935)
The Angry Red Planet (1959)
The Giant Claw (1957)
Es ist nicht leicht ein Gott zu sein (1989)
Bullet Ballet (1998)
Golem (1980)
Trancers (1984)

Fuckin luv zardoz 10/10

But Zed did for the Eternals what Jesus did for normies, in the reverse.

Zed brought death to those who couldn't die, he "saved" them in a sense. Whereas Jesus supposedly saved humanity from death.

Sure, I agree that what you added is definitely a big part of the narrative, but there is a sort of Jesus "redeemer" "savior" thing in Zed.

mfw Alien completely borrowed the screenplay.

Bava was the fucking man. Horror just would not exist without him.

A Boy and His Dog is the most obscure I've seen, I need to watch a lot more sci-fi.

Check out "Under The Skin" m8.

Not obscure, but it's pretty damn good. Not much dialogue though or music if that's a no-go for you.

I can definitely see it from that angle. Glad somebody else can see this movie for what it is. If they made it with actually good direction and a better budget for sets and effects, there's a really interesting and challenging story there

My black gentleman!

Saw it and loved it my dude.

Def one of my favorites of the last few years.

Did anybody here see "Arrival"?

I missed out on it, was it any good?

ACHILLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here, it reminded me of '50s The Day the Earth Stood Still.