Is Baltimore really as bad as they make it look?

Is Baltimore really as bad as they make it look?

Side note: Is it safe to say 2000-'10 was the golden age of TV?

bump

It's worse. In the show, the big struggle is to keep the murder count under 300. In real life, Baltimore has blown past 300 murders for two years in a row, and keeping it under 300 was never even a realistic prospect..

>Is it safe to say 2000-'10 was the golden age of TV?

It's A golden age. There were a few bursts of creativity that forwarded tv's artistry during its history (the 50s and the 80s for example), and the 2000s is just the most recent one whose effects we're still immediately feeling.

no idea, never been.
abosulutely

>highest number of homicides per capita
>highest number of heroin overdose per capita
>highest number of HIV infections per 1000 inhabitants

It's literally the worst place in the entire country.

There are some fairly nice parts of baltimore like where the aquarium is, but there are really fucking ghetto areas just blocks away

Damn. Worse than Detroit? I didn't think that existed.

>and keeping it under 300 was never even a realistic prospect..
It was under 300 from 2000-2014. It was only the Freddie Gray riots, and the subsequent virtual end of active policing in Baltimore that's brought it back up.

Depends on what part of Baltimore. Baltimore is weird, there are some really beautiful areas like Roland Park within a mile of slums.

I wouldn't recommend vacationing there though. The inner harbor and Fell's Point are sorta cool but they're always crowded.

I grew up in Northern Virginia and my dad brought up to Baltimore often to see Orioles games. We only stuck to Camden Yards and the inner harbor for the most part so I literally had no idea Baltimore was so ghetto until I saw the wire later in life.

Question for Americans.

Why hasn't Chicago ghetto areas been given the same focus as other areas? i.e. NY and LA had hip hop movements describing how shitty it was. Baltimore had this show and Homicide. I hear Chicago is pretty bad, why has nothing come out of there?

Shitcago is boring, that's why.

Detroit is just a desolate place. It'll be gentrified soon enough.

Hey detroits getting a little better

Camden Yards is such a beautiful stadium that I always thought people who said Baltimore was bad were exaggerating. Then one time I was down there I took a wrong turn and ended up in a literal slum.

didnt spike lee made a movie about it?

this, it has a major airport in it, colleges, financial districts and typical down town city parts with nice restaurants and art galleries and so on that are kept up by college educated wealthy people, but it has a huge impoverished black population and a lot of the schools and facilities in the city are underfunded. if you just lived in the downtown area and didn't go venturing in to the ghetto you'd probably be fine.

no but he made a joint about it.

The liberal media doesn't care about niggers killing other niggers. And the one rapper that talked about it, Kanye West, gets painted as crazy loon.

Hoop Dreams was set in ghetto Chicago.

WE WUZ PAWNS AND SHEEEIT

the wire was trash

bodymore murdaland yo

because Chicago's shootings are badly overblown by the media as it is. It has a high total because it's the 3rd biggest city in the U.S., but among major cities it's not even in the top 25 in homicides.

Places like Baltimore, St. Louis and Detroit are way worse but no one cares about them which is why they aren't sensationalized.

No but it was undoubtedly the golden age of HBO dramakino.

>Six Feet Under
>The Sopranos
>The Wire
>Deadwood
>Rome
>Big Love
>Carnivàle
>Band of Brothers

Now compare that to today

>Game of Plebs
>True Detective (cancelled after a kino second season season)
>Plebwalk Empire
>The Snoozeroom
>Vinyl (cancelled after a kino first season)
>Luck (cancelled after an ABSOLUTE kino first season, still mad)
>Treme
>Plebworld (will be cancelled when the pleb audience inevitably forgets about it during the two year break)
>The Leftovers (The only good series left and it's ending next year)

What the fuck went wrong?

Actually, in 2016, Chicago is going to be right up there with some of the most violent cities. It exploded from 441 murders in 2013 to almost 800 so far this year.

800 murders for 2.725 million people = a rate of 29.4 murders per 100,000, compared to 16.2 in 2013 and a US national average of 4.9.

That's extremely bad. It's not quite as bad as St. Louis's 60 or Baltimore's 55, but those cities are much smaller. STL city only has 318,000 people.

Chicago will be BY FAR the most murderous of the big cities - the ones with a million or more people in city limits.

But that's just it, you're looking at the worst year in decades but the narrative around Chicago has been going on forever when it really hasn't been that bad.

>That's extremely bad.
>US national average of 4.9.
>but those cities are much smaller.

55 and 60 per 100,000 in a small city is a lot more terrifying than 29 per 100,000 in a large one. It means the spread and distribution of shootings in those smaller cities is way more ubiquituous. Meanwhile in Chicago, literally half the murder happen in the worst 6-10 neighborhoods out of the 200 neighborhoods in the city, and it's heavily inter-gang deaths. (90% of shooting victims are in some way related to or part of gangs).

>the ones with a million or more people in city limits
so literally 10 cities?

Maybe Baltimore residents watched the Wire and murdered to up to the count out of spite

Nobody wants to listen to go-go

Detroit? Not sensationalized? LOL.

Detroit has the most negative connotation of any city in the US. Anyone who isn't from there immediately pictures total desolation, and acts as if there's not a single resident that isn't a criminal, and crossing 8 mile will automatically get you killed.

There's a lot of nice parts of Chicago which people think of before they think of the bad parts.

I live just outside Baltimore and work in the city. Never seen the wire, but if its full of dindus slaughtering each other and an incompetant city government, then its dead on.

Rural people don't care, and modern liberalism refuses to point out negative aspects of minority cultures. Even when those parts of a culture are actively hurting people.

>hip-hop movements describing how shitty it was
who is Kanye west

Just as bad, if not worse, in most areas anyway. A couple of areas are okay. But on the whole, the city averages a homicide a day, at least. And I never heard so many sirens during the night until I went to Baltimore.

Don't forget a nutjob State's Attorney.

I live in Brooklyn and recently stayed with a friend living in Baltimore for a weekend.

Baltimore was 1000x scarier.

MY NAME IS MY NAME

You sure you've never seen The Wire?