Recommend a newfag some artists

I've always loved music but I've never seriously gotten into it. I want to find long(ish), driving, melodic pieces with interesting chord progressions, but I don't know where to start. Jazz fusion and prog rock are kinda the genres that I'm looking for, but the former seems too "out there" for me and the latter doesn't have that melodic feel that I'm after. I'm almost after a contemporary take on classical music. Does anyone have any recs? Sorry for my newfaggotry.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mawTCv4BvGY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Totally ignoring your tastes, just give this a listen

I've heard that one before. I'm not a huge fan of Springsteen, but it's pretty good.

Phillip Glass

Fair enough. Have you listened to ITCOTCK? It sounds kinda like what you described

If you are looking for something recent listen to Mars Volta.

Listen to Sup Forums essentials chart on the sticky. I'd check out some Krautrock bands first on the essentials like Can and Faust since you like prog. I think that's what you're looking for.

Just checked him out and I'm liking it. That said, it seems a bit too classical for me -- there's nothing wrong with that, but I feel (pleb opinion incoming) that I might as well listen to any other classical composer. Maybe I haven't given it enough time; I only listened to a small bit of his Metamorphoses album.
I've heard bits and pieces and what I'm looking for seems to be along those lines. I'll guess I'll look into some more King Crimson.

I dunno, the harmonies/tonality (I'm probably misusing those words) don't really click with me. They seem to be "less defined" than what I'm looking for, almost shoegazy.

Listen to Sup Forumscore essentials and you decide what style you like more.

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

I'm liking Peaches En Regalia so far, especially because it has more chord changes than a lot of the prog I've heard. It might be a dipshit opinion, but I'm not into songs which primarily consist of solos over a single chord (or two chords).

Steve Reich, 18 musicians and drumming
You probably also need kraut rock and kraftwerk

Willie the pimp is the only good track for obvious reasons

>I'm almost after a contemporary take on classical music
You should listen to KC, if you want something more similar to classical music then go for Lizards or Islands but I also suggest listening to EVERYTHING they have released as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=mawTCv4BvGY

>18 musicians
>not even 18 different instruments
Weak sauce. Way to betray my expectations with your clickbait shit.

Limp Bizkit
Papa Roach
Mr. Bungle
Merzbow
Captain Beefheart

try in the wake of Poseidon, most similar to ITCOCK

this listen to faust's iv first tho

Don't start with this, it is too challenging (the artist drowned himself shortly after completing it) but when are ready to ascend, give it a listen.