How mutually intelligible are the romance languages? If I speak Spanish, can I understand Italian, Catalan...

How mutually intelligible are the romance languages? If I speak Spanish, can I understand Italian, Catalan, and Portugese? Can I understand anything in French? What about Romanian?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2ELqp4LALkI
youtube.com/watch?v=C6gEDVV1YYc&list=PL6D46FA0337CE3F3D
youtube.com/watch?v=kPgZi4AM9Ac
youtube.com/watch?v=9Nl_p67swlo
streamable.com/nzmie
lefigaro.fr/argent/2014/08/01/05010-20140801ARTFIG00150-six-conseils-pour-economiser-sur-la-route-des-vacances.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I speak spanish and catalan and i can understand italian, portuguese and galician. But i cant understand french or romanian

Romanian is a little bit understandable

If you speak spanish, you can understand most of Italian,Portuguese and Catalan... but french is quite different.

Can you understand Latin?

I can understand spanish, catalan, some italian.
also speak portunhol lel
About the french i can understand it and have a small chat, cause of school, but like romanian many words are perfectly intelligible

I speak spanish and valencian(catalan) and I can understand 99% italian 90% portuguese 40% french and 5% romanian

Vulgar yes kinda, classical nopes

Written Romanian, some spoken Romanian too (20-30% maybe?)
Written French (80%), spoken French -- 10%, maybe 20%
Spanish -- 70-90% written, 60-70% spoken (depends on the topic of the conversation)
Portuguese -- 50-80% written, 30% spoken, Portuguese in Portugal is more intelligible than that in Brasil
Catalan -- 80-90% written, same as Spanish when spoken, maybe +5/10% more

I kinda understand spoken latin (30%) and maybe 40% written Latin, because I studied it for 2 years at school.
With Dictionary -- up to 70%

I can understand pretty many Romanian and Italian words thanks to my French.

No shit, they had that "re-Latinization movement", thanks to which many Italian and French words were poured into the language to make it less Slav-influenced

>cyclical thread

It won't be useful for French. French is too different.
Portuguese and Spanish are very similar languages that are pronounced very differently.
I would compare it to being an American and trying to understand Scottish English
youtube.com/watch?v=2ELqp4LALkI

By that I mean, you will be able to read a newspaper in Portuguese almost with no problems at all, but it will be moderately hard to understand the spoken language (Brazilian Portuguese is much easier to understand than the European one)
The same applies to Catalan

Italian is more different than Portuguese, but the pronunciation is much more similar and clear for a Spanish speaker. Because of that, you may understand more spoken Italian than spoken Portuguse. Getting a point across, the general idea of what you mean, isnt very hard.
Often they use different words, for example, in Spanish we say Comer for eating, while Italians say Mangiare. But then, Spanish has a similar word, Manjar which means delicacy, so, it isnt hard to deduce what they mean.

youtube.com/watch?v=C6gEDVV1YYc&list=PL6D46FA0337CE3F3D

A lot of those new words were technical terms as we tried to modernize our country. At the time the French were one of the most powerful industrial nations so we took alot from them.

The core language didn't changed that much tough and we still have many slav loanwords.

Latin isn't a romance language tho

I can understand written spanish pretty well but spoken spanish is pretty difficult (unless they speak slowly), i'm pretty this is just a matter of getting used to the language tho (people that live in the border with argentina or uruguay can understand spanish better since they're used to hearing it, while my experience with spoken spanish is just the usual toxic argentino invading brazilian servers)

>Everyone in this video is supposedly speaking English
they are tho?

Sort of, you have to speak well and depending from where you are and to who you are speaking you need to use not so used words or expressions. There is also a lot of false friends.

If you haven't grow on one romance language you probably will have a lot of problems to pull it.

Italian is reasonably easy to read, and somewhat understandable when spoken.

Spanish is somewhat readable, but a bit hard to understand orally.

Portuguese is hard to read, and very difficult to listen.

Romanian is impossible.

I can understand like 60% of arab too

>Limba romana este imposibila.
Probabil esti un 'francez' mai colorat venit de pe o insula.

Romanian shouldn't even be considered a romance language. Your language disgusts me.

Well you disgust me too.

>5% romanian
really?
damn we russkied harder than i thought
here it's 20% going to 30-40% if we really struggle

t. caliph muhammad ibn-albertinno al-andalusi

I can barely realize the meaning of some isolated romanian words in normal speech :/

not necesarily russified, but different latin words, different structure, developed differently... you know, "western latin" languages are just a baby step from each other linguistically

yeah i guess
spanish comes easily to us
hey actually
here's this normie shit
youtube.com/watch?v=kPgZi4AM9Ac
and they did a spanish version youtube.com/watch?v=9Nl_p67swlo
rate their accents
did they do it in european or american spanish?
romanians LOVE songs in spanish
or any romance language really
brings out the WE WUZ
also here's how traditional romanian manele are recorded streamable.com/nzmie

sounds like portuñol, but I understant 99%

also, he pronounce "cabeza" like us latin americans

nice digits you got there comrade snek
what do you think of the romanian version?

I dont like pop music, but it sounds like music you could hear everyday on the radios/discos in latam

I'd like to know more about romania tho

>French is too different

Spoken yes. But a written text is comprehensible af.

lefigaro.fr/argent/2014/08/01/05010-20140801ARTFIG00150-six-conseils-pour-economiser-sur-la-route-des-vacances.php

Tell me you couldn't literally understand the whole fucking thing....