Do most Kendrick Lamar fans even get this album?

Do most Kendrick Lamar fans even get this album?
Most interaction I've had with Kendrick fans irl were really shallow and vague. Most wanting to talk about the "bangers" off DAMN instead of the nuanced story telling of TPAB.
I'm not even a big Kendrick fan. But i find TPAB an interesting talking album. Am i just autistic or are Kendrick fans just bandwagoning

a lot of people didnt enjoy TPAB as much as GKMC cause it didnt "bump in the whip" the same way

I got into an argument the other day with a normie friend of mine about Kendrick. She said that FEAR and ELEMENT were the worst tracks on Damn. while LOVE was the best.

It doesn't take more than a second on r/KendrickLamar to realize that the majority of his fans are obvious bandwagoners because of his commercial success. I have had my eye on Kendrick since Overly Dedicated and TPAB is easily one of the best rap albums I have heard. I have spent a lot of time with this album trying to uncover and interpret the story of TPAB. It is one of the only rap albums I can still listen to and love

How do I upvote

I’ve not listened to much hip hop over the years, but I have to say: TPAB is very good stylistically for a pop record. Is all of Kendrick’s music this varied and well-produced?

>I have spent a lot of time with this album trying to uncover and interpret the story of TPAB
its literally him saying "we need another tupac" and talking to tupac about his thoughts

>Is all of Kendrick’s music this varied and well-produced?
Not really. I wish. GKMC is close but is still fairly strictly attached to hip hop trends. DAMN. apart from all of the trap instrumentals has some extremely good and varied production (especially with Lust, Feel, Pride, Fear, Duckworth). Also XXX is really good even though that is pretty trap influenced at the start

kendrick is unironically a great rapper that has the misfortune of being overrated by modern leftists media

Kendrick is a very mediocre artist, who rose above mediocrity with this one album. His fanbase doesn't reflect that, it reflects the greater whole of his work, which is generic mainstream hip hop, so of course the straightforward themes and relatively accessible production of this album goes over their heads, they're retards

This is hands down, no contest, best kdot album. From songwriting and craft to completely saying "fuck off" to all the rap trends of the time to the beautiful msg.

Do you like any hip-hop? Honest question

Many of them are bandwagons as he has become more mainstream, especially since Untitled and DAMN came out

Yes

..such as?

>he didn't get it

GKMC was in no ways a mediocre rap album and neither was DAMN despite its more mainstream bangers

Man you're making this tough. I was just wondering because you stated this album merely "rises above mediocrity" if there were any rap albums that you think are amazing or if you just think that all hip hop is mediocre and TPAB is just slightly better than others. What are your top 3 favourite hip hop albums?

>What are your top 3 favourite hip hop albums?
Stockhausen never made a Hip Hop album....

Even instrumentally, tpab is the best Kendrick album. All the jazz perfectly compliments the nuances of what he's talking about for the whole record. Plus it just sounds so huge. That alone makes it better music than Damn or even gkmc

true he was more of a grime guy

You really see yourself thinking it's great in 10 years? And damn has a lot of flat out bad songs

you are absolutely baiting me but im genuinely curious, what is there to figure out about this album other than it revolving about needing tupac and kendricks thoughts about things

>merely
I never implied that, you took that from what I said. I don't even have high standards for rap, that's just how it is

>damn has a lot of flat out bad songs
2-3 bad songs, not "a lot"

>3/14 songs are bad
>great album
78 is a "C" grade

didn't call it a great album, but 3 bad songs, which is really stretching it imo, out of 14 is not "a lot" of bad songs.

also a 78 is a C+ which is pretty okay.

It's all good, sorry about the rushed implications. I guess I'm more surprised that even though you don't have high standards for rap (which is what I assumed or that you disliked rap in general), you find GKMC only mediocre

That's some flawed math my dude. This is assuming that the bad songs have no redeeming qualities making them each worth 0% (this is also giving the "good" tracks 100% which is also not the case). You would have to grade each track individually if you wanted to come to an actual conclusion. Although I agree, DAMN. is a pretty weak album regardless of the 4-5 great songs

>YAH
>HUMBLE
>LUST
>LOVE
>XXX
>GOD
That's almost half of the album.

Wrong. You have to be black to understand it.

lust and xxx are good, so is yah

>yah
>Lust
>XXX

>Bad
Opinion discarded

LUST and XXX are two of the best tracks you absolute pleb. The others I agree with but for some reason you didn't include LOYALTY (which is the worst track imo)

I don't like the production at all on it, it's generic early 2010's contemporary, boring and it won't age well, the only beats I like on there are money trees and sing about me

Obviously the record is just gonna be about the guys thoughts about things, that's kinda every record, but the themes that run through develop in an interesting way as it progresses, with the god/devil songs and what their attached to, to the conflicted way he attaches sex to certain things. Maybe his conclusions aren't the most unique, but the way his thought process develops is so detailed that it invites listeners to connect certain thematic phrases like solving a puzzle. Also the jazz is nuts

Fear is criminally underrated. Beast of a track.

That's a fair opinion (although I slightly disagree). Are you a Kanye fan? Personally, I can't get into his music at all I find it pretty boring lyrically and extremely bland instrumentally but just wondering your thoughts

If I did grade them all individually it would be about the same or worse because there aren't any 100% songs on it. But I think Loyalty is 0% by anyone's standards honestly

He's not my favorite but I like most of his stuff, I respect how he always does his own thing musically. I never thought he was that bad lyrically like people said, or that much of a production genius

This is so obviously his best album, and i'd argue the best hip hop album of the decade. GKMC and DAMN are both good, gkmc being the better, but tpab is just incredible.

This

>best hip hop album of the decade
Yes but that's not saying much

THIS DICK AIN'T FREE

Guess how i know you’re a nigger

This

She's right

Untitled is the best

I'm too dumb to understand the album without genius