Why is progressive rock the peak of music?

Why is progressive rock the peak of music?

The genre created and experimented with sounds unfathomable to man. Long composition of music played in complex tunings and time signatures with a fuckton of instruments and experimental synths of the era.

Some songs are impossible to replay again. Just imagine being able to replay this on this year and it won't even be half good. Every single if its instruments being played by a virtuoso.

youtube.com/watch?v=51oPKLSuyQY

Difficulty/technicality doesn't equal pleasure for everyone

Johann Sebastian was the peak of music, per'aps yer thinking of rock music...even then you're wrong

>progresive rock is not the peak of rock music
>"i listen to meal"

I think he means JS Bach.

Bach is the peak of music. Art of Fugue, St Matthew Passion, WTC I and II, English and French Suites, Violin Sonatas and Partitas, Cello Sonatas.

His use of harmony, counterpoint and emotional depth all at the same time has not been matched.

Thanks i was wondering how he connected my comment to metal

Unpopular opinion but I don't really think music has or possibly will ever peak

so all music is *exactly* the same quality?

I don't buy it. No matter how little variation in quality there is, there will always be a peak.

Quality can be determined - usually within a genre, but many elements are cross-genre (use of harmony, wordsetting, timbre) so can be compared across many genres. When you can determine quality, you can determine the highest quality.

No I don't mean quality per se (though even that could be argued as being subjective although I disagree). I mean that with experimentation and different ways of thinking, there will always be new things to try and further realms into which music can be pushed. This leads me to my thought that I don't believe music will ever really peak so to say, because it is always able to be molded and evolved into something even better and grander than what came before (or in some cases made much much worse which is a shame).

not really, all downhill since bach

Yes, ELP, and King Crimson combined are literally the pinnacle of music.

New doesn't always mean good. Look at John Cage's 4'33". It was a new idea at the time, but is it good music compared to a Bach fugue?

Not everyone has to be a musical genius to make a good bit of music you know. He was the master of theory and composition, no doubt about it. But to write off all other music just cause it's not as intricate is just stupid. That's like saying "what's the point in building a local church when there's the sagrada familia" or "why draw a picture of this beautiful landscape when you can go to an art gallery"

I think many of the twentieth century composers had some fantastic ideas that toyed with atonality and dissonance in ways that are more interesting than Bach.

I personally don't think it's better than a Bach fugue no. However, it still doesn't change my mind about music not having peaked/being unable to peak. I think Iannis Xenakis pushed music in new interesting ways and towards further realms of the unknown (even though I don't enjoy that type of music as much as say Mussorgsky or Bartok).

You agree one piece of music can be better than another, therefor music can have a peak.

Bach is that peak for tonal music.

Bach's overrated as fuck. His music lacks dynamics, harmonically he relies on the BACH progression way too much, and melodically he relies way too much on the same ascending/descending lines (you hear them a ton on WTC and the Brandenburgs the most) and also relies on that trill sounding end to his cadences a lot, too. For the sake of always having wildly running counterpoint, the music sacrifices itself in all other aspects to achieve this.

reminder that prog is for soyboys and autists

>The genre created and experimented with sounds unfathomable to man
I've heard what a guitar sounds like before prog

CHECK

>prog
"sounds unfathomable to man"
*blocks your path*