Should Australia become a Republic when the Queen dies?

Should Australia become a Republic when the Queen dies?

What are the arguments for and against?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2TbbvXK5QS8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Australia doesn't deserve a monarchy

Why?

Its ours to be fair

Yes.

Why did Australia, Canada and New Zealand ever break away from the UK in the first place? Seems like it only served to weaken Anglo Civilization.

I don't think we broke away man. Don't really know the details but we haven't paid tax to them for a really long time.

Also its quite sad but its a matter of nationalism. An "Australian" identity was created post WWI. Probably the same in other places. Before that we just considered ourselves a colony.

So I hear anyway

Why?

Are Canadians talking about Republic as well?

It's a British monarchy, I thought that's why you lot want rid of it.

Charles isnt great but is he really so bad you'd give up on the crown?

Some do, but most think it would just makes more similar to the states than already.

we didn't break up
we just grew apart over time x :(

cheeky lil monkey

no and to do so is sedition.

australians and kiwis got fucked up on a turkish beach and decided that britain was shit

lmao
actually true

UK did the samething with Canada during ww2

we love you please come back ;-;

>order some aussie gets to charge a vertical fucking cliff face
>the madmen a c t u a l l y do it
cackling

We all wanted the same thing you did. To be able to elect our own parliament that would serve our own needs.
The difference is that we let it happen organically over time and earned it by killing mostly Germans, but also Turks, Japs Italians, Boers, Russians, etc. You went spastic and won it by asking the French to kill Brits.

w-we trusted you

Based Quebec.

i'm sorry it was just funny

The likes of Australia and NZ might just put up with him because afterwards it's the William and Kate show, they're much more popular in the Commonwealth.

Loyalties prevent, nah I aint saying nothing.

Yeah those poor Aussies, it's not like they sent thousands of British to their deaths either.

Will it bring an actual change to your form of government (aside from the obvious) or is just so you can call yourself the Republic of Australia?

would be nice to have a king that is able to visit the other realms often
feel bad for the countries that are neglected by the monarchy

tbf it wasn't even a british plan to begin with
we originally wanted to cut through alexandretta and split them in two but the french said no

Nah man, the French only joined in after we proved our Brit-killing skills to them

that whole campaign was banter
newfies weren't really pulling their weight though tbqh

>australians and kiwis got fucked up on a turkish beach and decided that britain was shit
Wut? That's not the reason, look towards WWII fall of Singapore and Churchill saying the pacific to go hang.

This honestly
Here are the percentages of the population that died in WWI and WWII:

WWI
>United Kingdom
2.07%
>New Zealand
1.58%
>Australia
1.22%
>Canada
.87%
>Newfoundland
.7%
>Just for fun USA
.13%

WWII
>United Kingdom
.94%
>New Zealand
.72%
>Australia
.58%
>Canada
.38%
>Just for fun USA
.32%

While there were horrible battles for Commonwealth nations like Gallipoli, Dieppe, Ortona, Ypres, Paschendale, etc. The idea that Brits used the Commonwealth as cannon fodder is untrue.

Honestly I don't think it matters wither way, though I wouldn't mind seeing a referendum, pretty much both parties are in favour of holding one.

Australia as a nation never really had any ties to Britain and the only reason we stayed in the Commonwealth was to secure naval trade route protection at the time. Keep in mind that this wasn't something that the Australian powers to be at the time wanted, but they had no choice because Britain had the strongest navy in the world and we needed to utilise those trade routes.

>Seems like it only served to weaken Anglo Civilization.
There is no "Anglo Civilisation", only civilisation, you fucking fool.
What the fuck is wrong with you Americans?

Fuck off chang you utter mongral

>Australia as a nation never really had any ties to Britain

>never really had any ties to Britain

Should we stop bantering American education and start in on the Aussies?

It's one mentally ill autist, he can't ever shut the fuck up about the yanks

>chang
I'm not Chinese, champ. Get over your nationalistic delusions: Australians have no high opinion of poms and our success as a nation aside from that early trade route protection was entirely our own blood, sweat and tears, so you can get fucked with this "Anglo" civilisation bullshit. All the poms have ever done is try to tear down societies, leaving the colonies to pick up the pieces and get on with life.

That's right. As a nation, as in by the time Australia became Australia, the country. It's a political entity and as a functioning political entity, the nation state of Australia has fuck all to do with New Pakistan.

See above.

Fuck off idiot.

I really don't like Australians

They are not our friends.

AUSTRALIANS ARE OUR FRIENDS

They are more than just friends really

Written by Canadian Harold Wood, just prior to leaving for the war from which he woukd never return:

"Why should we fight" he asked me,
"'Cause England is at war?
Why are they fighting now, Dad,
What are they fighting for?
What does it mean to you, Dad,
To babes, and mum, and me?
The Germans won't come here
From away across the sea.
So why should you go there, Dad,
And leave us here to cry?
Is it cause England owns us?
Is that the reason why?"
His eyes look widely at me,
I tightly held my son,
And this is how I answered,
His questions one by one.

"We fight when England calls us,
For in her sacred keep
The ashes of our fathers
Lie in her soil asleep.
And many times for England
They fought that she'd be free,
And they are part of England,
And so, my son, are we.
And some may pass her by, lad,
And some may scorn her hand,
But we must be forever
A part of that fair land.
For everything we have son,
That's good and fine and just
Was washed in British blood
And given to us on trust.

"And we must keep that trust, son,
Against the force of greed.
And fight beside old England
Whenever she's in need.
And once again she's calling
Across the Empire wide,
And all her Empire answers:
"You'll find us at your side"
Oh yes, we're owned by England,
But we own England, too,
As you are part of me son,
And I am part of you"

He's been at it for a number of years from what I've seen.

Despite the propaganda, the Australian branch of the allied forced entered the theatre begrudgingly. It wasn't our war and those in power were well aware of it.

You're an intellectually dishonest mongrel, mate.

maybe australia should keep the monarchy and the UK should get rid of it

this is the best option

You say that, and I'm aware of a conscription crisis late in the war but you volunteered more men as a percentage of the population than any other Anglo Commonwealth country in WWI and this in spite of the conscription issue.

>Australia
8.4% of total 1916 population
>Canada
7.9% of total 1916 population*
>New Zealand
3.6% of total 1916 population

History just doesn't agree with your opinion.

>*Canada's was a bit lowered because the French and Irish refused to fight

It wasn't your war why? Geographic convenience?

won't her spawns take over the seat and all the rights and authority that come with it?

Charles, Prince of Wales, is next in the line of succession but there is some talk of His voluntary abdication in favour of his younger and more popular son the William, Duke of Cambridge.

After so long with a Queen, we could have 3 kings in a row.

now that reminds me you're still legally bound to the queen, even though she has no real authority on canada since the 1984, or whenever was that thing signed.

For Australians, the monarchy is historical happenstance. Their national identity can survive intact without the crown.

For Canadians, the survival of their national identity depends on the monarchy. Without the monarchy, they might as well be Americans.

Why change a system that works?

I really hope Australia keeps the queen. It's nice to keep the bonds with the UK, as well as all the other Commonwealth countries that have her as monarch. The UK needs to be more active in Australian interests if they want us to stick around though, there's too many dirty republicans here already.

I mean did you see the thing about Shorten calling for a vote if Labour gets in or something? I mean I'm a monarchist but I think its massively intellectually dishonest to have a vote before the Queen dies.

No, in 1981 the British parliament lost the ability to make changes to the Canadian constitution. The Queen is still the head of state and must approve (or her viceroy) all bills.

Yeah its just rubber stamp bullshit though.

I mean I'm in favour of an Anglo bloc man. Us and NZ and the US

>I think its massively intellectually dishonest to have a vote before the Queen dies.
In what way? It wouldn't be practical to hold a vote just whenever the Queen does finally die, and as long as it's clear that it's potentially over once she dies, it doesn't matter when the referendum is.

I know people don't like Charles, but the monarchy isn't about liking whoever is currently on the throne. I know earlier in this thread there's talk of his abdicating, but I just don't see it happening at all. I do think once one of Canada/Australia gets rid of the monarchy, a lot of Commonwealth countries will follow.

I mean yeah maybe if its a vote to do it when she dies man. Different story really.

But what I was envisioning was a vote to clean break at the time. Then some John Howard bullshit "Ah we just had a vote hey. Lets leave it 15 years." That sort of shit.

For all that I hope that we make it pretty clear that the interest of the 5 eyes countries are our goal.

>this entire thread

youtube.com/watch?v=2TbbvXK5QS8

I just like whites 2bh :)

Them come to New Acadia (formerly Atlantic Canada and Northern New England)

>Wh*tes

Because the only argument against it is that you are a cuckold who thinks someone is better than you based solely on their birth and not what they do with their lives.

Reminder that there is nothing wrong with shooting an Englishman in pursuit of sovereignty and independence.

They used violence so they received violence.

Yeah righto Paddy. And having an independent governing body is a bad thing? Look at the Royal commission into Police corruption... In a republic what body had power over the Bureaucratic arm of the Government?

Monarchy is pointless
NZ should become a bicultural Republic and ban all nonAnglo and nonMaori immigration
We should build up our military and become the superpower of the Southern Hemisphere

>based solely on their birth

And also God since the Monarch derives their power from divine ordination

Yeah settle down there mate. Got a question for you though. If we end at at war with China will we repossess all property of Chinese Nationals?