youtube.com/watch?v=3uDv6HBvmVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=rwefHIV0Uok
youtube.com/watch?v=VicecOU4iZw&t=39s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sonny Sharrock or Marc Ribot

Yes

John Fahey

Buckethead imo
Has a good variety and some seriously fantastic songs.

The guy from Lightning Bolt. I know it's bass but he plays it like a guitar.

nikki sixx

Eric Johnson, maybe. Mike Oldfield is a jack-of-all-trades but he plays guitar really well.

Sonny Sharrock probably was, and still may be, the most one-of-a-kind guitarist there ever was. I've never heard anybody else play it like he did.

Rowland s howard is my personal favorite by far, not even close of being the best technically but when it comes to being original he's up there

Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, B.B. King, Jeff Beck, Devin Townsend, etc. are all vegan/vegetarian
What the fuck? Will I stop sucking at guitar if I stop eating meat?

Objectively wrong.

Yes Hendrix was the best will always be the best you will never be better than him because he wasn't a cringelord widdleyfuck and conveyed himself emotionally

Probably his best instrumental

youtube.com/watch?v=DI-vzDh9UJQ

From a "feeling" or "sound" - perspective: Whoever you like basically, can be johnny greenwood, steve vai, paul waggoner, marc ribot...

From a technical perspective: Guthrie Govan.

There is just no way around it. The most wholesome guitar player, can do any style, is fast, shreds, has the tone, the feeling. Doesen´t make the best music, but is definetely the best there is / was until today. Period.

Yeah except hes fuckin terrible

??? Why is he "fuckin terrible" ? What about his playing is anywhere near terrible?
Don´t confuse compositions with playing style/ability. I do not like his compositions, not solo or in the aristocrats, but please show me one example where this guy is terrible at guitar playing you edgelord

youtube.com/watch?v=DoPxgrbsuuo
probably john mclaughlin

>Objectively

Thread over from the start

It's like video game button-mashing. That's not skill, it's just verbose garbage. You ever read a column and just wish the writer would shut the fuck up and just say what they mean?

Or rather, I'll give him that. Skill. Skill =/= talent or creativity

if conveying emotion is the criteria kurt cobain could literally be proclaimed the goat

The technical wizardry is ONE ASPECT of his playing. There is a lot on youtube because itts astounding to watch (not to listen). Anyway, he can play very different actually, not only this overhyped technical bullshit. Just complete.
The Steven Wilson records he did are a very good example.

>It's like video game button-mashing
You're absolutely fucking clueless. Why is it that it's always the most clueless retards who jump to remind everyone about "muh feels" every time others bring up a skilled virtuoso? Can you really not contain your seething envy? Like holy shit your displays of it are absolutely pathetic.

Best is a very complicated term and I don't think I know enough about guitar playing to make a real judgement.

But Nick Cave is my personal favourite.

No one seriously denies Jimi's superiorty except out of sheer spite

We are speaking instrumentally here. He played loud guitar music with proficiency and made people feel something. Basically if he wasn't a great player he never would have made it because he would have been another backup musician

>projection

Absolutely agree. Guthrie is just wonderfully complete, and compositionally outstanding. Those who think his fast lines are "verbose garbage" probably just can't keep up with what is being played.

Fact of the matter is that one of the things that makes him such an impressive guitarist is how he manages to bind lightning-fast passages together with smooth, beautiful lines.

Ah, that lovely word insecure fuckwits like yourself throw around as a desperate defensive mechanism like a kid with downs flailing around after being pushed into the deep end of a swimming pool. Doesn't really work here when I'm not the one shitting on the skill other people honed through many years of hard work though simply because I can only look at music on an emotional level, does it?

To be the “best” you must display peak technicality and emotional conveyance. Jimi could only do one of those.

>mad
user it's just my opinion you don't have to take it as fact

Jason Becker

>hurr I am only saying opinions therefore I don't have to take any responsibility whatsoever when they're absolutely moronic and I present them to other people with extreme hubris

Grandpa go to bed

This thread is seriously the saddest fucking thing i've seen in a long fucking time you guys are brain dead, I really hope you guys are just pretending to be a bunch of jackasses

>peak technicality and emotional conveyance
Incompatible

Jimi, Prince or Mick Taylor

im sorry user

Why is it sad? He's THE BEST. Unironically of course

Wrong.

youtube.com/watch?v=B9DqykUsqRY

Buck Dharma from BÖC is amazing at shredding then playing a really bluesy or emotional part. Brian May also has this ability and has the best time out of any guitarist in my opinion. So one of them.

THIS
/thread

Jerry Garcia without a doubt

This is user I meant he had the best tone

Robert Johnson you goofs

No matter what anyone says, no one played guitar like Jimmy Page. I've never seen someone so comfortable playing guitar. He made it look effortless.

youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

>not even mentioning Fripp

That’s because he didn’t put effort into it, thus he made many mistakes.

Bland incarnate.

From a technical standpoint, Joe Pass was probably one of the most skilled. The man shredded with chords like I’ve never seen.

Bunch of faggots in this thread. CLAPTON IS GOD. Honorable mentions Chet Atkins, Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler.

Larry Carlton, John Mclaughlin, Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck, Steve Howe.

Post yours then your majesty the lord honorable

Derek Bailey surely is up there.

>Linking to that Alan Douglas abomination
b8

>Muh Jimi was sloppy meme
Retard.
That was his style.

Jimi is the best guitar player ever because Lemmy said so

jesus christ. i can't wait for all the old ass boomer fucks to die. yes hendrix was an amazing guitarist. was he the best? fuck no. to be the best one would have to be perfect, which obviously doesn't exist. can you imagine hendrix trying to play jason becker while grilling his ball off?

there is no such thing as "the best guitarist ever". period. the question is subjective and will never be definitively answered.

keith richards

Except you are objectively wrong. Dude we are talking about a range of influence and innovation in a time when nobody was even close to touching him. And no jazz guitarists do not count. It is well acknowledged there are two eras of rock guitar, before Hendrix and after

>Mike Oldfield
THANK GOD he's probably not the greatest of them all, but he's really up there with the greats.
youtube.com/watch?v=tJi6DHb8lSI

Lemmy said he's the best guitarist
Just face it. You're wrong

This user knows what's up.

>And no jazz guitarists do not count.
Absolutely retarded stipulation. The only reason jazz wouldn't count is that you probably don't know it from your left ass cheek.

Here's another:

youtube.com/watch?v=GwlhgYCrIJk

What about John McLaughlin?

Fucking duh quite honestly.

Okay, one more:

youtube.com/watch?v=jUhRBq8UiL0

wes borland
scott hull

Les Paul!

youtube.com/watch?v=3uDv6HBvmVQ

No one could replicate Jimi Hendrix. People could play like Jason Beck, Guthrei Gova, B.B King, Eric Johnson and Eric Clapton. But have you ever seen someone cover a Jimi Hendrix and say to yourself "That's Just like Hendrix".

clear answer

is this guy a joke?

>randomly fingerfucks the fretboard for 6 agonizing minutes
>has a band of actually talented session musicians desperately trying to mask his fuckups and compensate for his whimsical out-of-key guitargasms
>crowd of stoned baby boomers just eats it all up as if he were some kind of genius

this fucking faggot is why rock is dead

Prove it.

All of these qualify. Prince is often underrated as a guitarist.

SRV was Hendrix but better.

Yeah, actually. There's a dude that hangs out on street corners in my neighborhood and shreds just like Jimi. It's uncanny.

wow how come no one mention my boy norman blake youtube.com/watch?v=rwefHIV0Uok

Stop putting him on such a pedestal. He wasn't THAT fucking good.

Is this post a joke?

and people would still think of jimmy as this greatest innovative guitarist after hearing this. makes you think.
this. he doesn't even deserve to be on any 60s/70s rock list. if you look at it from an emotional aspect, I'd argue that Tony Iommi. Pete Townshend or James WIlliamson did WAY better. I can think of many, but those are just a few good examples.
If you look at it from a technical aspect, Jimmy was far behind everybody, and talking any further is not worth it. You can argue that he had great improvisations and ways to "play the notes" on the guitar, but that is just pure wankery, many people did those sorts of things.
And, finally, if you look at it from both aspects, then it's just too fucking easy, pick any band you like, Led Zeppelin, Camel, Genesis, Yes, whatever.

les montgomery is the only right answer

Most skilled obviously not but I can't think of any electric guitarist who can match his compositions.

SRV influenced a bunch of white lazy guitarist that ruined blues music forever. Jimi influenced SRV. SRV is the last great Blues Guitarist.

Okay, and? SRV was still a better Hendrix.

You overrate technical skills.

No I don't. We're talking about the BEST. That's different than the GREATEST. I would agree that Jimi is the greatest guitarist ever, but absolutely not the best. You underrate technical proficiency.

In what way? Jimi Hendrix was a innovator SRV just follow the path that already laid in front of him by other guitarist. He was more of the same except white.

>pic related
you literally cannot prove me wrong. SRV is a close second, followed by Hendrix btw.

hendrix was probably the best....
but my fav is pag becuase his songs were the best
his albums were the best
his sloppy playing has so much feel to it
his production was the best too
plus he wasnt a fucking idiot with his money and didnt kill himself with pills and booze like poor hendrix

youtube.com/watch?v=VicecOU4iZw&t=39s

In the way that he could do everything Jimi could do, but better.

except write a original song

Except in composition and creativity. But that doesn't matter right?

Places a Hendrix tribute artist 2nd

bill frisell or pete cosey

right on