Prog

Gimmie yo favorite prog rock albums, need some jams.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uPGiqLvcOEk
youtube.com/watch?v=6UpXjBOBQB8
kayodot.bandcamp.com/track/the-manifold-curiosity
youtu.be/GzJA1xQxTCU?t=16m4s
clyp.it/uwpezqlr
youtube.com/watch?v=dO02VJEYYEk
youtube.com/watch?v=XLZasy5KV0g
youtube.com/watch?v=Q5EdwwFWmws
youtube.com/watch?v=2Hn7Vh71zbs
youtu.be/-9MpueuKjq8?t=1516
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Soft Machine - Third
Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
King Crimson - Islands
Henry Cow - In Praise of Learning

these are pretty good 1/2

2/2

A Farewell to Kings immediately followed by Hemispheres

youtube.com/watch?v=uPGiqLvcOEk

youtube.com/watch?v=6UpXjBOBQB8

You have my sincerest gratitude for posting these, mang.

prog rock is best described as a subpar american version of krautrock

>american version
It's from Britain buddy

I like K. Dot, I liked Coffins, but this album was unlistenable to me. I preferred them when they were more RIO-style music, a bit more variety to their music. They had some chamber, some noise/drone, some quieter moments, etc.

kayodot.bandcamp.com/track/the-manifold-curiosity

This song is a classic, runs the gamut from serene to hellish with one of the heaviest outros I've heard.

youtu.be/GzJA1xQxTCU?t=16m4s

Youtube link if you don't mind the lower quality.

who /soyuz hype/ here
clyp.it/uwpezqlr

Kauan is great. More prog in the Pink Floyd vein than the King Crimson vein though. They take a theme and develop it in various ways throughout the album, really lends it a sense of cohesion. And the production is amazing.

youtube.com/watch?v=dO02VJEYYEk

bump

bump

You know how I know you're not into prog?

How?

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Upbeat, clean, absurd prog rock from the Canterbury scene. Haven't been able to stop listening to it since I discovered it.

This is all super good. Thanks my dudes

bmp

jpeg

Absolute 10/10

Eh, it's definitely proggy, I just wish it was more so. I really want to hear King Gizz take on progressive influences full force, they've definitely demonstrated the musicianship to pull it off.

You liked Coffins, but PHOBOS was unlistenable? Driver himself said Coffins was more like an EP leading to the latter, so that's a strange thing to say. In terms of composition, it's one of the most complex works he's put out, and I love all those airy synths and how torrential the percussion is. Maybe it's because I grew up listening to 80s prog/pop.

Choirs is definitely my favorite, with Dowsing Copper with Anemone as a close second.

Toughts on this? I liked the unique sounds and exotic experimentations, both I didn't like the sound quality and some of the metal influences like the screaming (mainly because I don't like metal that much) but I still found it as a great and fun album.

Haven't listened to this one yet, but I loved Suspended Animation Dreams. The gutturals can be jarring, especially when their backed with softer instrumentals, but I'm also really into metal and avant-garde bands like Kayo Dot, Arcturus, etc. The jarring aspect of it is kind of exciting for me.

>Prog thread
>Nobody has mentioned this masterpiece

youtube.com/watch?v=XLZasy5KV0g

The most underrated tune in prog, ever.

sounds like an even more radio friendly tool/tmv mashup

A classic:
youtube.com/watch?v=Q5EdwwFWmws

Do you like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=2Hn7Vh71zbs

wow
so much gold
under one thread

Radio friendly in what way?

The vocals sound like Volta, I'm not sure where you're hearing Tool.

Best concept albums?

Just go through Gentle Giant's discography from their first s/t album to Free Hand.

too easy, also are floyd really porg?

>prog rock is best described as a subpar american version of krautrock

the fuck?

sure it is. it doesn't sound like rock, thus being prog rock. in a non dumb way, if you look it up to a "definition" on progressive rock you'll end up with the description of most of what pink floyd music is

Not even close to the best Floyd album

also
>american
wtf

Porg, like the SW cute birbs? No. Like the other prog bands? More or less, I think that personally they are more psychodelic rock but if you try hard enough they could fit as prog.

your post don't help to convince anyone otherwise

I can keep going.

got closer. meddle is my choice tho

Aside from the iffy audio quality, this is probably my favorite live album, if we're not counting Pictures at an Exhibition, which is also fantastic.

As much as I love Gizz this is half-assed prog

I really hope that they do evolve into something less psychodelic and more into prog. They have the potential and with their current popularity they could get more influence for the genre.

truth

came here to post this

Stardust We Are by The Flower Kings

What was the name of that band that used to be prog but then got a new vocalist, became normal rock and became extremely popular?

Check. Mate

totally prog

Bump

Genesis?

Not Genesis, should have clarified that. I think that they became extremely popular with an 80s hit.

more like frog rock

ebin

thank you

does tool count

Czar's self titled album is real good

This

>listening to in the land of grey and pink
>open Hearts of Iron 3 and my computer freezes up
>now wagner is playing at the same time and I can't stop it and it's a glorious fucking cacophony

I'm also interested in this question. Their lyrics are really wacky, their concepts are overrated and their songs have too much of a monotonous feel but even so I barely see them being discussed in here.

nice, great album

Album of the year, right here

Also, my personal recommendation

Visions by Haken is a 10/10, but all of their albums are great

this is the best prog record of the millennium so far, hands down

Progressive is just bands branching away from psychedelic.

Best Crimson coming trough

they are absolutely prog. lateralus and 10k days especially

My nigga

faggot

>here come the cavalry

They are all so good and unique that I can't pick a "best album" from them. Even Construkction of light and Cirkus are amazing despite being their weakest.

First 3 songs are GOAT, and the rest are 8/10
are you getting the vinyl reissue?

That might be my favorite record t bh

Not even close to the best flyod album

MY MAN, is it prog tho? It's quite unclassifiable...

listen to this if you want some non-normie shit

*blocks your path*

satan trips knows to seperate the t from the bh to avoid the desu conversion, smart man

have you ever seen the musical box tribute band? they're fucking radical
nice trips btw

the musical box is amazing
they use the original slides too for the shows
foxtrot and the lamb lies down are my two favorite performances

Thanks to what I was playing at the time of first hearing this, I now associate the pleasant sound of Golf Girl with the bloody action of Serious Sam

I think I like Foxtrot better, but it's close.

have you heard the soyuz sample in the new kscope podcast yet?
im surprised its so electronic sounding. i figured the album would be another in the vein of molok and demon and its really something fresh. idk how they keep doing it.

Fukken saved

An album that lives for its penultimate song.

Check it:
youtu.be/-9MpueuKjq8?t=1516

Im a huge prog guy and have never heard this, great stuff, thanks

Are there any prog albums with surf/beach sound to them? I love both prog and the sound of surf rock/punk and I was wondering if there is anything that combines them

Surprised no one as posted this baby yet.

suppers ready is out of this world
i was just playing the intro to "and you and i" on my guitar and wanted to post some yes on here