I am looking for a mic and general set up to record a rap album. I have done some research...

I am looking for a mic and general set up to record a rap album. I have done some research, but am unsure of the range of products and what their quality entails. So what would Sup Forums recommend? I can go up to 400 dollars for the set up.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oz_-VaTHpc8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Let us hear your voice/raps so we can help you not waste time/money

I have an AT2020 and it's great.

Focusrite audio interface: $100
Shure SM57 dynamic microphone bundled with mic stand and XLR cable: $110
Pop filter: $15

Spend the rest of the money on beats or marketing or whatever. If you don’t have acoustic treatment a condenser mic will be a wastebasket of money because it’ll pick up a disgusting amount of house sound and ruin your takes.

AT4040 with that money, but do you have a room with good acoustics for recording? Vocal mikes (condensers) are pretty bad in the sense that they are really sensitive to shitty rooms.
If your room is shit you could get a dynamic mike like the Shure SM57 but it's not something used for vocals by any pro, they are used for instruments.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Theoretically, would it be better if I rented 1-2 hours of studio time to record the whole thing, assuming I have no edits to make? My thinking is that im only doing 1 album, so what do you think is better: buying the stuff or renting a studio for an hour or 2

Do not get a 2020 OP, either go for the 4040 if you have a room with good acoustics or go for a dynamic one like the SM57. The 2020 is for podcasting, it may be good as a hobby mike but not to release an album.

thanks, whats your pop filter and audio interface?

who are you guys kidding? nobodys listening to his mixtape he might as well be singing into a tin can with a string

too many in the rap game bud. go try skateboarding or pastels or something

eh, somewhat of a good room. I have a closet so its nice a tight, and I've tested some foam padding on the wall for insulation, but besides that not really. What rooms would be best? My fear is that rap is more percussive in the vocals, and so I dont want the room to reverberate too much

im doing it for fun. I just want it to be the best possible since it will only be for me anyway, I might as well be proud of what I do. Plus who knows, if my friends see it or something I don't want them to disregard it as a dumb hobby or stupid. At least let them think I tried to make it good, you know?

thanks. I heard from a poster above that dynamic mics are not good for vocals. To what extent is this true and if it is true can I edit it out in fl studio or something?

They have less fine detail, but they work. It’ll just sound a little rougher. The upside is that it won’t capture nearly as much room tone. And if you have creaks in your floors or neighbors stomping above you or cars driving by outside, a condenser mic will pick those up and make your recordings really shitty.

>"doesnt matter im doing it for fun"

thats what they all say lol

truth is, if you were really doing it "for fun" you'd not even be worried about recording it

Depends on many things. The foam may be a good enough or it may not. Dynamic mikes can be edited, the SM57 has been used on some well selling records and you don't have to worry about the acoustics. I think Bono records with a 57 or 58
I don't know the prices of the studios in your area, but what I would do is book one session, record a song or two and use the time to have a chat with the engineer there, they are usually friendly and will be happy to give you some good advise.

I think is the best answer even though I recommended the 4040. With $225 plus shipping you're left with some cash to visit a studio.

get an sure sm 57

you'll thank me later

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Thanks. I do have a friend that I consider pretty good at producing, and he says that these days rappers and their listeners are employing a rougher sound so I don't have to be so stingy on audio quality. So if I did not visit a studio, would you still recommend a 4040? would I get more value by doing that instead of a sm57?

I'm worried about it because I want to do things the right way. The same thing is that I would try to fix something myself first before taking it to a shop, help out those who need it, and try to ask genuine questions. Sure it would be cool if it blows up, but frankly I already have a career im happy with.

I'm really trying to get this jayz sound right here:
youtube.com/watch?v=Oz_-VaTHpc8

also, my thing is that I'm going to be chewing bubblegum all the time and I want those sounds to be present on the recording. Will the SM57 pick up intricate things like that?

Well the problem with the condenser mike is its sensitivity to noises. Creaks, police sirens, dogs barking, anything is going to fuck your recording so you’re kinda limited by the environment. I think the Shure is your best bet. Besides your friend is right, some lit af rap tracks have pretty shitty vocals

Well you have a problem then, because you want high sensitivity to some noises while being isolated from others. Honestly I would just get a cheapish mike to work at home and go to a studio whenever a song is finished to get it recorded with all the small details that you want.

Thats not good my mom is pretty loud sometimes. My bestie has a basement, should I see if I can record down there? It gets really damp and this is my last $400 so I'm hoping that wouldn't ruin it over time.

Basements have terrible acoustics so you’re back to square one. Get the Shure to rap at home and when the track is finished go to a studio, not only will you have access to a perfect room but an engineer will make sure the sound is recorded just how you want it

I'm a little shy about going to the studio. Where do you live? Will you go with me?

Jesus bro if you’re gonna rap you can’t be shy

But I'm not shy if we spend some time together. You know? Get to know each other? I can show you a lot of things. :)

thanks for impersonating me while I was gone. Why did ya do it?

thats not me, its some dickhead wanting fun. I appreciate the response.

thats not me, I appreciate your response tho.

Okay, I've been looking at the Shure 57 as well as the 4040 and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 4040. What should I expect? And what do I need to hook it up to my mac?