This is an excellent show. But is it sci-fi?

This is an excellent show. But is it sci-fi?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculative_fiction
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_German_popular_culture
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yup, it's about AUs and it's based on a book by the Dick, so I'm not sure how you could see it as anything other than a sci-fi

In the book the Nazi's had colonized the inner solar system and flew around in rocket ships

It definitely is Sci-Fi but the show is more of a drama than anything

but the book doesnt actually feature people meditating so hard that they travel to a different universe?

Is it actually that good?

Honestly it's a bit campy and the performances aren't that amazing. I still like their portrayal of the japanese though

No, not really. At most, one character (Tagomi,) MAYBE hallucinates briefly he's in an America that was never conquered

Have you not seen the second season?

Is the grasshopper lies heavy mentioned in the show?

it is seen

yes

It's Alternate History, which is a subset of Speculative Fiction.

The book my man

But it explicitly shows universe travelling

So is it actually worth watching? The John Smith guy looks like a bit of a lad but I've heard it's pretty shit

>But is it sci-fi

More "fi" than "sci".

Btw, when will Smith become Führer?

It is good. Smith is totally /ournazi/.

And?

It enters a different territory than just speculative fiction

By mystical traditional East Asian meditation techniques. Not by crazy super scientists and technobabble.

It's actually really good. Main characters are admittedly lackluster but the rest of the cast is fucking great. Rufus Sewell as John Smith is fucking *flawless*, and basically every Nip is amazing too. The bad guys are the best part.

>when will Smith become Führer?
He is already the strongest authority in the American part of the Reich and he apparently is Himmler's protégé.

OBERGRUPPENFÜHRER

Yeah no, that's just as far as we know. Who knows they might have a lot of exposition later in the show on how they actually do it. Also it's implied that the crazy resistance film guy can do it too, or at least trudy can

season 1 is slow. season 2 really picks up and was a thrill to watch. i practically binged as fast as i could.

desu i'd live in the nazi regime portrayed in the show. i had a lot of respect for many of the nazi characters, even the villains

The way I interpreted is that himmler only cared about him once he could use smith as some sort of loyal reich hero for exposing the cabal

I don't know, he is a man in a high position in the SS, it is hard to believe you can get there without Himmler's approval.

Himmler is the leader of the SS and John's ultimate superior by definition. Even Heydrich was subordinate to him.

but that said I don disagree that there is something mystical about it, something that isn't sci-fi but more magical in nature, though the idea of alternative universes and time travelling is clearly a bit sci-fi'ish. And it should be be left unexplained to preserve the mystery. It's just that the show is so weird, because as far as I know about the book, it doesn't actually have the same thing where tagomi travels to an alternate universe and brings back a physical film tape. The book's point about the the grasshopper lies heavy in the book is that the characters start questioning what is really real, which is a sort of metanarrative for the reader of Dick's work

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculative_fiction

does anyone else think that Nicole is way cuter than Pooliana,

She is hot as fuck and I fell in love at first sight.

>tfw you will never be a hippie nazi doing drugs and having liberal sex and trying to subvert the older generation's ideals

>characters start questioning what is really real, which is a sort of metanarrative for the reader of Dick's work

Dick was all about "what is real????", film is a different media than books and a multi season series even more so.

They expanded the story, i dont mind, i'm a huge fan of alternate history.

But the core, "what is real???" is still there because those aware of the tapes are asking themselves just that.

Also the visuals in S2 are fucking awesome, i need more of it.

>subverting a society that has ethnically cleansed the entirety of two different continents

Yeah, nah. I'm ok.

that feel when she would never even consider looking at me because I'm not white

Obergruppenfyhrer """""John Smith"""""
He should've changed his name to something more german desu

She'd just dom you.

>Nicole will never force feed you drugs and then sit on your face

He isn't German, he is American, why would he change his name?

I don't know about that. The way I understood her is that she and her friends are not a genocidal maniac nazi, but more liberal and open minded. She also says that the old timers need to die before they can take over. It's a funny parallel to the hippies in the 60's of our world. But then again the population is so brainwashed in nazi racial hygiene and eugenics so maybe they can never leave it.

Impressive career - first he's fighting the war for the USA, then he sees Washington getting blown up and 10 years later he's running the American Reich.

The whole point of America still seeming very American is to show the viewer that they were kind of close to the Nazis we know and love.

>german ancestry is by far the most common in the 1940s
>some counties still had german as the majority language
>literal concentration camps for nips
>eugenics and ethnic cleansing pioneered by american minds
>non-whites oppressed and persecuted

It's heavy-handed social commentary that's supposed to make you realize that fascism is everywhere and that you need to buy Apple products and pay reparations for wanting to live in a peaceful and crime free wonderland.

He was probably involved in the surrender, he could have been one of the highest ranking officer after the bomb.

>...the first exterminations in the USA...
>Exterminations?
>Dont they teach you history in the Pacific States?

Smiths boy to the Californian rebel slut.

Yes, that too. Genocide of the native population was a pretty big inspiration for Europe in the 20th century.

Yeah it's not like we let a finnish nazi commando into MACV-SOG.

Interestingly in Germany at that time Native American became hugely popular, still are.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_German_popular_culture

Joe got what he deserved.

so, i finished season 2 and i have this question. Joe's dad was a traitor or a scapegoat?

Traitor. Are you sure you watched it? He literally poisoned Hitler.

Smith and Himmler were traitors, Joe's dad was the only true nazi

did he? i was really confused after the last episode.
Expecting a le epin twist, i knew beforehand that Himmler and the other high rank guy were battling for being the Fuhrer's successor

That was my first impression

I always found grasshopper to be a more interesting world than the nazi victory one.

A cold war between the USA and UK would be interesting.