Why is indie folk so much intimate and spiritually-pleasing than actual folk music?

Why is indie folk so much intimate and spiritually-pleasing than actual folk music?

because it's more commercial

You can tell he wants to throw that baby in a trash can

Because it's written by cosmopolitan low T beta males that you can relate to

wrong

I would say indie folk is more relevant to us than actual folk.

Listening to some 1940s chicken farmer sing a song about the dust bowl is dumb

Just the microphones is.

hey man the dust bowl is FUCKED UP
if you can't relate you just lack humanity (and taste)

Real folk musicians often used real life events as the engine for their music. Indie folk uses its own imagery which, depending on the listener can be easier to relate to due to its abstract nature of actually go the complete opposite way cuz such imagery just sounds dumb. Like at this point no matter how hard I try, I just find the imagery used by the likes of early John Frusciante, Animal Collective, Microphones, Neutral Milk Hotel, etc. to be utterly goofy for me to take seriously in any interpretation. Comparatively something like Woody Guthrie's Dust Bowl stuff is far more relatable because the incident sounds pretty fucked up provided you know it. Either way I would rather listen to something like John Fahey or Natural Snow Buildings if I wanna do folk because I don't care for lyrics in the end.

This
>h-hey guys its me, Phil, take a look at this baby I'm holding here, remember? the baby who doesn't have a mother? anyway pls donate as much as you can to the gofundme

because you've never experienced hardship so people crying about flowers or girlfriends or their guitar needing tuning is more relatable to you than dying from TB, having a woman you love live three days' train ride away, having to deal with structural inequality, or having to leave friends and family behind because your harvest was decimated and lies in sand

>i only listen to liberian folk made by ampute child soldiers because thats the only REAL folk

I've been listening to old folk recently and it's actually pretty funny how relevant it is. Change "vietnam" to "afghanistan" and "I love this country but fuck the government" to "I love this country but seriously fuck the government" and it would fit in fine today.

>60s
>old folk

Joanna Newsom is the only spiritually fulfilling “indie” folk

How do you not know he's making reference to artists who are far more popular than any indie folk guys? Getting real sick of this pseud culture on Sup Forums where people comment about shit they have no idea about.

Blues isn't folk music either you idiots, it's popular music just like indie folk. It wasn't passed down by oral tradition, it was composed to be recorded and distributed on shellac. Actual folk music's topics are generally just as "goofy" as indie folk, with ales of folk heroes and shit.

because it's emotionally dishonest and you fell for it

>actual folk musicians
>live in extreme poverty, family members die all the time
>their instrument is probably their only valuable possession
>music is fun and people dance/sing along when they play

>indie "folk" "musicians"
>middle class or wealthy
>probably makes music with his laptop in his bedroom like a fag
>wife dies and you write a shitty album about it
>city folk see you play so they can crywank to it

what's some essential real folk?

what is it like to have phil as your dad?

>live in cozy home, go to school like any other kid
>dad's away a lot and has his friends from the community fill in for him
>occasionally travel to random natural beauty

sounds pretty good to me except for the missing mother

i want my folk cozy not scary that's it

sometimes I feel like joanna posters are a shadowy illuminati, controlling all Sup Forums discussion from their los angeles mansions.