Hercules

>killing your best character

dropped hard

he comes back

DISAPPOINTED

You can thank Orci & Kurtzman for the edgy direction they took season 5 in, they're the same writer-producers who made Xena jump the shark.

Anyway it's still a decent season, and it's also when they introduce the best girl in the show, other than Xena or Aphrodite obviously

I'm still on 3 though.

Do the strange cartoon sound effects ever stop? Sometimes they are really distracting.

>I'm still on 3 though.
kek, I forgot how many times Iolaus dies. I think they kill him and bring him back 4, possibly 5 times

>Do the strange cartoon sound effects ever stop? Sometimes they are really distracting.
They tone them down in season 5 because it's much darker than earlier seasons, but they never go away. It's part of the flavor

Iolaus dies and is brought back in his first fucking appearance.

those early TV movies were so crappy, everything improved considerably once it became a series

Well Anthony Hopkins was a better Zeus.
But yeah the movies aren't as good as the TV series.
But that's to be expected since they were still finding their niche.

True, and also everything is so dead-serious in the movies. Eventually they seemed to realize that the formula worked better with healthy doses of tongue-in-cheek and self awareness

>with healthy doses of tongue-in-cheek and self awareness

Well it WAS Sam Raimi.

>you will never wake up your herc

>This is a story of a time long ago...

This series was truly kino

Sorbo will always be Hercules to me

I think kellen lutz was the best herc ever. Sorry sorbfags

so comfy :3

Didn't Iolaus turn evil at one point though?

This and Beastmaster were goat

Iolaus was possessed by a dark god called Dahak.

>Xena gives birth episode is hijacked by Herc killing Zeus

I remember the angry lesbians complaining on the internet.

What happened to Herc after that? He just disappeared.

Time to piss off people.
Hercules was the better show. Xena was just fap bait.

Why would they be pissed about the truth?

A lot of people plebs prefer Xena to Hercules.

the entire Twilight of the Gods arc was a clusterfuck, and I hate that stupid "chakram of light"

Literally why the fuck did they think killing all the gods would be a good idea?

where can I watch this show

>Orci

Has he ever not sucked shit through a straw?

I love both, but Xena is clearly the better show. More ambitious, more exciting, better fight choreography, superior roster of villains, and a hero that isn't afraid to kill played by someone who can act, unlike Kevin Sorbo.

I will say that Hercules is a comfier show, and Iolaus is certainly a better sidekick than that preachy cunt Gabrielle, but in no universe is it as good as Xena.

see what I mean?

Well Orci & Kurtzman had finished making Hercules darker, and fan response was good. So Rob Tapert asked them to be the showrunners of Xena in its fifth season, thinking they might shake things up a bit. And boy howdy, shake things up they did. They shook things up so much, the series was in shambles by the time Tapert came to his senses and fired their fucking asses. Lucy Lawless' pregnancy didn't help matters tho

R.J. Stewart came back as showrunner in season 6 and tried his best to salvage what was left of the show, with mixed results.

did they fug?

Xena is the DS9 to Hercules' TNG.

so darker and more sophisticated but not as comfy? sounds about right

>it's a hercules defeats the super villain that was introduced in xena

wew lad

>it's a hercules is canceled so let's have xena slaughter all the legacy characters for shock value episode

torrent

and on Netflix until New Years Day, their rights to Herc and Xena expire at the end of the month

You got that backwards.
Hercules is DS9. The objectively better show that isn't liked by as many people.
Xena is TNG. The show everyone loves despite the fact that its not very good.

>it's a joxer episode

Hercules and Xena are great shows, and so similar to each other that liking one and not the other is simply impossible if you've seen both. Stop trying to stir up an apple vs. apple argument where there is none

EVERYONE ADMIRES HIM

Are they moving to hulu or amazon?

JOXER THE MIGHTY

Xena has been on Hulu for a while, and as far as I know they will still have the rights next year along with Young Hercules. Hercules:TLJ isn't on there though, and I know it isn't on Amazon Prime and I haven't seen any news about it being added.

I think you'll just have to download it

>tfw Hercules and Xena are still not in HD.

I know they had shitty 90's tv CGI, but I wanna see BluRay copies.

they were filmed on 16mm, an HD transfer would be terribly expensive and and difficult and even then would only marginally improve the video quality. No one in their right mind would undertake such a project, at least not until the process becomes both cheaper and easier

4:3 SD is the kino method of exhibiting these shows

don't forget the CRT television, only a plebeian would watch them on flat screen

Anyone who likes Herc & Xena needs to watch Cleopatra 2525. Seriously.

I take it a step further. I use the DVD's and run the signal through the VCR then to my CRT, with a manipulated coaxial cable to emulate television signal snow. I then use video equipment to overlay a WB 33 bug in the signal. I only view the show on Saturday afternoons, Hercules at 3PM and Xena at 4PM while following the original episodic airdates. With this, I'm able to recapture the feeling of the original broadcast exhibitions. This is a truly kino experience.

That's a very unique type of autism, I appreciate it in a sense.

that sounds comfy as fuck tbqh

>mfw I just figured out 'tbqh' means 'to be quite honest'
I hate being 29.

Lmao, people don't even live that long. What an old fart.

it's all about lurking nigga, I'm 37

i want to fuck discord

the wrong Kevin Smith died

>career just about to get big
>dies out of nowhere
Real shame for the guy.

as sorry as I am about him dying, he did get really fucked up on booze and drugs and them climb up a tower on a movie set like he was Tarzan

on one hand he deserves a Darwin award, on the other hand I wish I could have seen him make it big

I thought he died in a car crash?

he took the ares role abit like emo joker legder.

>Hercules was the better show. Xena was just fap bait.
This. They used to play them back to back, and Xena was always a disappointment after Hercules. If they had them in the opposite order, Xena probably could've been a decent lead-in to Hercules, building to something better.

>Xena is the DS9 to Hercules' TNG.
Angel to Hercules's Buffy. Torchwood to Hercules's Doctor Who.

>I love both, but Xena is clearly the better show. More ambitious, more exciting, better fight choreography, superior roster of villains, and a hero that isn't afraid to kill played by someone who can act, unlike Kevin Sorbo.
Xena wasn't good enough to be actually good. It's in that zone where making something better actually makes it worse. Hercules was good, hammy fun with no pretensions.

Also, Kevin Sorbo was downright perfect for his part. Lucy Lawless is fine as Xena, but there really isn't anything magical to her in the role, and lesbian undertones aside, her dynamic with Gabrielle doesn't stand up to Hercules's with Iolaus (which you seem to agree with). And then there's Joxer...

As far as the villains go, I'll agree with you there. Hercules villains are often pretty bad.

>it's an aphrodite episode

>Xena wasn't good enough to be actually good. It's in that zone where making something better actually makes it worse. Hercules was good, hammy fun with no pretensions.
Xena was plenty hammy. It's not like it was some super-serious show, it had all the comedy and silliness of Hercules and then some. The only difference is they actually approached the characters and story with some amount of care, and there was something to work with. Xena had a past, she wasn't some Jesus-figure like Hercules. She had nuance

>Also, Kevin Sorbo was downright perfect for his part. Lucy Lawless is fine as Xena, but there really isn't anything magical to her in the role, and lesbian undertones aside, her dynamic with Gabrielle doesn't stand up to Hercules's with Iolaus (which you seem to agree with). And then there's Joxer...
I definitely agree the bromance between Herc and Iolaus is more compelling than the Xena/Gabby relationship, absolutely. However, while Sorbo is very likable, the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with, he is fucking godawful at dramatic scenes. Bits that are supposes to make give me feels make me laugh instead.

Lucy on the other hand owns her role, instead of just being a good fit, she elevates the Xena character. She isn't just some goody-two-shoes for the audience to cheer for, she's human and real. On top of that, we get these great backstory episodes about her evil warlord days, which are always a treat, and certainly more interesting than the "Hercules is an awkward teenager" episodes.

no, he was at a wrap-up party in China, got fucked up and climbed a prop tower, fell and hit his head

>Xena was plenty hammy.
But not successfully so, in my opinion. The hamminess on Xena tended to be tiresome. It just didn't click.

>However, while Sorbo is very likable, the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with, he is fucking godawful at dramatic scenes.
For me it's like William Shatner. There are certainly more versatile actors out there than Shatner, but nobody else could've pulled off Kirk like he did.

It looks like he's molesting him.

In the year 2525, three women want to stay alive

Show some respect, the dude had 3 kids and didn't even want to get into acting until his high school sweetheart signed up him for an audition.

JOINING FORCES TO RECLAIM THE EARTH

LOOKING AHEAD TO HUMANKIND'S REBIRTH

DISSAPOINTED!