I know this board is a cesspool of stupidity and ignorance, and has nothing to do with film or art...

I know this board is a cesspool of stupidity and ignorance, and has nothing to do with film or art, but I just want to say that La La Land is a modern classic, absolutely sensational

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-empty-exertions-of-la-la-land
youtube.com/watch?v=lPS2mjlBmTw
youtube.com/watch?v=f2zb6zg-W2s
thesaturdaypaper.com.au/2016/12/24/damien-chazelles-la-la-land/14824980004115
newyorker.com/magazine/2016/12/12/dancing-with-the-stars
youtube.com/watch?v=wDHwJrbrp0Y
youtube.com/watch?v=82PazvWQqU0
youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls
youtube.com/watch?v=6CTR3d2Ly80
youtube.com/watch?v=dIW_Ah0wg-w
youtube.com/watch?v=37XhIuqsWVk
youtube.com/watch?v=7bEKU70_7E8
youtube.com/watch?v=dG3oqTVNhzU
youtube.com/watch?v=WUhhKELUxB0
youtube.com/watch?v=yTH9VwACh7o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's kino for sure

> cuck fetishists.

Tell me why you feel that way. I want someone to explain to me why this is a classic without using the musical aspect as a reason.

The music fucking sucks.
Plot wise it looks like a shitty, rehashed version of Singin' in the Rain.

Is there actual cuckoldry in this film, or are you using cuck how people use fag or retard these days?
>If there is no cuckoldry in it, I want nothing to do with it.

They only reason why it got so much hype is because they circlejerk Hollywood so hard

The movie was bad and you should feel bad.

>rehashed version of Singin' in the Rain
>not The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Pleb confirmed
La La Land confirmed as a great film.

kill yourself either shills or blatant stonefags

This

kys pleb

www.nationalreview.com/article/442911/la-la-land-gimmicky-huppert-wins-2016-triple-crown

>Why is La La Land so charmless yet so wildly overpraised? It is the work of 31-year-old Damien Chazelle, a movie buff turned director who has no knack for the popular culture he imitates and who is temperamentally distanced from the work ethic he takes as his subject.

>couple breaks up
>girl gets another partner within a five year window
are you stupid or do you just not know what a cuck is

satan has spoken

listen.

He liked:

>Grown Ups
>Jonah Hex
>G.I. Joe
>G.I. Joe 2
>Battle: Los Angeles
>The Green Hornet
>Clash of the Titans
>Indiana Jones 4
>Transformers 2
>Death Race
>Fantastic Four: Rise of Silver Surfer
>I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
>Takers
>Taken
>Transporter 3
>Resident Evil: Afterlife
>Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

He disliked:
>The Tree of Life
>There Will Be Blood
>Black Swan
>The Social Network
>Tangled
>The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
>The Road
>The King's Speech
>Synecdoche, New York
>Transformers
>Toy Story 3
>Eastern Promises
>Stardust
>The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
>Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
>Tales from the Golden Age
>Let Me In
>All Marvel movies
>The Dark Knight
>Mother
>The Hurt Locker
>Blue Valentine
>Up
>Hellboy 2

He also compared Hannah to Kick-Ass because they both have a young female character, thinks I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry is a modern classic, thinks Live Free or Die Hard is the best Die Hard, compared The Road to Resident Evil, thinks Clash of the Titans is better than the LOTR Trilogy, prefers Transformers 2 to Transformers, and thinks CJ7 is deeper and more profound than There Will Be Blood.

I liked it. But also my theater had the bass a bit too high and I couldn't understand the first song or some of Emma Stone's early lines.

newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/the-empty-exertions-of-la-la-land

>There’s even more verve in the musical parodies of “Popstar” than in the strenuous emptiness, forced whimsy, and programmed emotion of “La La Land.”

It was big and fun and cute. It's not an instant classic and I'll probably never watch it again, but I enjoyed watching it.

There's middle ground between high cinema and box office filler.

Is this a legitimately good film or is this dewy-eyed optimistic garbage for film students?

Here you go user
youtube.com/watch?v=lPS2mjlBmTw

youtube.com/watch?v=f2zb6zg-W2s

That's not cuckoldry, since they were not together any longer. And neither of them intended to wait for each other for five years. Each of them followed their dreams and succeeded, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they found happiness. It was an anti-Hollywood, more realistic ending.

Go see it yourself?

Sup Forums likes La La Land though.

yep, this confirms it. Thanks, buddy

I'll see it if it comes to my town, but it probably won't, because right now my shitty theater has devoted three screens to Rogue One, and two screens to Sing.

Yeah the few with taste, not the hundreds of shitposters who know nothing about filmmaking

Seen it five times already

It's dishonest filmmaking

This review is fucking awful. As if every film needs to be about the tedium of familial relations and small talk, everything needs to be a character study and overflowing with the jaded nuance of conversation. Fuck that guy.

Fucking this. Hell, last Tuesday my 18 screen theater was entirely Rogue One, Assassin's Creed, and Sing. Fucking stupid.

looks like it's pandering to that fuckin "dapper" aesthetic bullshit

Go to bed, Damien. It's past your bedtime.

thesaturdaypaper.com.au/2016/12/24/damien-chazelles-la-la-land/14824980004115

>In the end, however, Chazelle’s irresolution about exactly what kind of film he wants La La Land to be is dissatisfying. Stone has a winning persona and there are lovely moments that capture the blackly comic ordeal that Hollywood forces on its jobbing actors. But Mia’s story is fantastical and cliché-ridden, her aspirations never rising above the stereotypical. We don’t feel her obsession for acting nor for writing, and that lack of urgency diminishes her role. La La Land begins with an accomplished song-and-dance sequence on an LA freeway, but once Mia’s story begins it feels limp, as if there will be nothing on offer apart from the self-conscious cinephile referencing. Gosling’s appearance is a necessary jolt for the audience: he gives the film urgency. That in part is due to his staying true to the unrelenting fixation of Sebastian’s dreams. It is also because it is clear that for Chazelle, as was evident in his previous film, Whiplash, jazz is his true musical love. Hurwitz’s music is lulling but instantly forgettable and there is none of the heat and dizzying anarchic inspiration that makes jazz so threatening and initially so unwelcoming for many of us. Chazelle is clearly aware of this and has Sebastian educate Mia on the form. But we are never privy to a moment where it is clear that Mia gets it, whether through the score or through her dancing or singing. She remains an outsider to jazz throughout the film, and unfortunately that is true for the audience as well.

Confirms what? You don't know the context of these songs in the movie.

Sup Forums proving it's garbage once again.

It's not uncommon to completely lose touch with someone after ending a relationship that lasted 3, 4, 6 years. You would understand that if you weren't a teenager trying to feel like a special snowflake in a Cantonese basket weaving board.

newyorker.com/magazine/2016/12/12/dancing-with-the-stars

>And here’s the second hitch. If you believe in musicals, then your mind will turn helplessly to another bench, and another couple, at the close of day: Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse, in Central Park, in “The Band Wagon” (1953). Their every step, and every touch of his hand upon hers, was done without flaw, and the synchronicity spoke not only of twin souls but of a heavenly ideal. This was Platonic film—Hollywood hinting at a formal perfection denied to the rest of us, in our stumbles and trips. (If I were exiled or marooned, and could take only a four-minute clip of any movie to keep me company, that would be my choice.) By contrast, when Gosling and Stone noodle around in the dusk, and don their tap shoes for a quick hoof, they do so with eagerness and charm. Yet their efforts are down to earth.

What? Are you not following? I said I couldn't hear the lyrics while watching the movie. He linked me the songs.

Are you ok?

Several things go wrong for these characters and they have a bittersweet ending

How is that dishonest

rude

I'm the one saying it wasn't cuckoldry, you moron.

>saturdaypaper.com.au
Really having to reach for those bad reviews, huh?

What song plays in this scene?

That was sort of the point, though, Mia was not obsessed about acting as Seb was about jazz, and it is Seb's urgency and motivation that drives Mia to write her own play, go to that audition, and become famous. I think the contrast between the two characters is intentional

>ywn be this triggered by a single man's opinion

The second one here:

I'm looking at some scenes from this film and I don't see the appeal.

It wants to be a big glossy 50s MGM musical but has none of the energy. They can't even sing properly.

It's like the special olympics of musicals.

Watch something better: youtube.com/watch?v=wDHwJrbrp0Y

This thread is now a Fred Astaire (someone who *could* sing and dance) thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=82PazvWQqU0

the fuck is this about? is it a musical? do i have to watch two jagoffs dancing around for two hours?

pls respond

What's that? Dancing in shoes not impressive enough? How about dancing in skates!

youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

Too bad he doesn't sing in either of these. The dancing is wonderful, though.

This is maybe the greatest dance scene in film history. I love Fred Astaire so much. And Ginger is about the most underrated actress there ever was.

Armond is a fucking idiot and even he knows La la land is trash

Thanks, Sup Forums is a great board.

All jokes aside, if that post is true he has truly awful taste.

Oh, and that's Fred playing the piano too. Gosling is clearly no Astaire.

youtube.com/watch?v=6CTR3d2Ly80

youtube.com/watch?v=dIW_Ah0wg-w

There's fewer musical numbers or singing than ANY musical.

Top Hat only has 5 songs.

Is Top Hat not a musical?

that guy is an idiot and his opinions are worthless you shouldnt reply to any of posts which contained his face user
and btw how do you know so much about his reviews?

New movie from the director of Whiplash, they sing and dance occasionally, it's mostly dialogue

no

Commit suicide its a piece of crap

Eleanor Powell might have been the best partner that he danced with, though I generally prefer Rodgers and Charisse.

youtube.com/watch?v=37XhIuqsWVk

>le you're just triggered xD

I don't see the appeal of the big, glossy, decadent musical films. They look fake and not aesthetic to me. This is how I feel a film musical should be shot.

youtube.com/watch?v=7bEKU70_7E8

I like that Rita Hayworth dame.

Another classic, Astaire, with Rogers in her feather dress that molted constantly during dancing.

youtube.com/watch?v=dG3oqTVNhzU

Of course! How could I forget!?

youtube.com/watch?v=WUhhKELUxB0

sup reddit

hola reddit!

Fred was actually an OK drummer as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=yTH9VwACh7o

So, is Ryan Gosling getting an Oscar nomination for this?

I feel like joining the Bolshevik party after seeing such a no-thrills utilitarian scene.

It wouldn't matter. He's just going to lose to Andrew Garfield.

>I want someone to explain to me why this is a classic without using the musical aspect as a reason.

That's like asking someone to explain why an action movie is a classic without bringing up the action aspect.

i loved whiplash. is it likely i'll like this one too?

theres a lot of shit i didnt like about this movie, at least the opening frame set the tone perfectly with that big cinemascope title. like why even put that there, the movie isnt cinemascope, all it does is establish how unauthentic everything is. its like a musical simulator with nothing on the inside. the main 2 huge gripes i had were the lack of cast and songs. there were only 2 leads and the rest of the characters are set pieces only shown once or twice as if they are cardboard cutouts representing their function in the script.
then the fucking music which is supposed to be the main draw of a musical was so forgettable and unexciting, and there were only 3 'big' songs that just play over and over most of the time. man i so wanted this movie to be good. at least the trailer was good, damn good trailer.

P I S S I C A C A

As a deeply homosexual man, I agree 100%

Two bros singing about their military experience and hardships in India is more realistic than women in bright colored gowns floating around the room.

Yeah, it's likely

dumb oscar trash. Enjoy pretending you have taste, OP.

Enjoy starting Marvel/DC threads

It's a modern classic nuff said

I watched it today and really enjoyed it, although it's like someone said before that the music is just a bit weak compared to the classics. However I think this is one of those films that just get you so hyped up in the theatre and later on when you think back on it there are many things that could have been done better.

I was rused on Manchester by the Sea and Moonlight reviews so I was skeptical on this film going it. It definitely delivered the most out of the 3.