Daily Japanese Thread - DJT # 1886

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Discuss the process of learning Japanese, things you like/hate about the language, goals, etc.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/644.htm
core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/645.htm
desuarchive.org/a/search/image/GX3mkK9jDcn-iOosm8-MJQ/
youtu.be/x_gj1c7AW88
jvcmusic.co.jp/seatbelts/
djtarchive.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#に(3)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

今日は出来そう

頑張れ、アイルランドちゃん!

大丈夫、一緒にちゃんと見直そう!

何を出来る?

>雨の中をわざわざ出かけるなんて物好きだな

Is なんて just like って in a quoting kind of way?
I'm still not sure how I can use it in my own sentences.

It can also have a nuance of "isn't that ridiculous" or something like that. "Purposefully going out in the rain, that's crazy!"

If you use it like this 俺なんてできるわけないだろう, it has a similar nuance but more obviously negative. "Me, of all people? Of course I can't do it."

oh so its always that kind of nuance?
and this is completely different than なんと right?

I don't know about always, but when used in that way, it usually does.
>and this is completely different than なんと right?
That's right.

23分後にやっと帰られる (*´∀`*)
今晩はどうそるかな
漫画を読むの方がいいでも…

Is JET only for native English speakers or can anyone with like, Cambridge Proficiency or similar high end certificates participate too?

FYI
core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/644.htm
core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/645.htm

where the hell on this internets i can get talks with japanese people? like not only boards

Can anyone help me comprehend this? I must admit I'm pretty lost, even after looking up all the vocab. Dammit.

Are (you) thinking that building team spirit starts with eating from the same pot?

That makes so much sense. Thanks for enlightening me.

I've only been at this for a week. But does that say "today is the first day of the month so I will work extra hard" or something akin to that.

I... I don't think you are going to make it, user...

Thanks. I knew my hard work would pay off.

>But does that say "today is the first day of the month
No one knows, user. No one knows.

What's a good way for not immediately forgetting everything you studied over.

Stop learning Japanese.

I've been trying to put together words to see if I can do a sentence more good. Would 私は猫を鞄入れる translate into "I put cats into bags."?

That's entirely wrong but you're way better than I was after my first two months because I didn't know how to properly study Japanese.

close, 私は猫を鞄に入れる would be correct

>I put cats into bags.
Monster. Stop learning Japanese!

Thanks. The guide has been helpful despite my best efforts to fail.
We are the knights who say...に

And now I'm off to watch Monty Python.

An entire night of anime and studying ruined. Fuck you user.

Just watch the 日本語 version.

にゃんたることだ。

れぇえええええ

レロレロレロ

これは全て一本の線で繋がっている.
All of these are connected by a line
何としてもそのてふ子人形を一目確かめなければ
By all means, I have to make sure (and?) have to see the Tefuko-doll
Should i use and?

after much deliberation (a couple of shitty review days) I decided to start individual kanji reading recall study alongside vocab revision

the deck I'm using has the kanji on the front and readings as well as a key word on the back. the deck has some errors so I'm checking each new card with a kanji dictionary online, only bothering with jouyou readings

can anyone else share their own experience doing individual kanji study alongside vocab?

Do report your gains. I've been studying names and, although it's not the same, you don't have much to work with since it's not vocabulary, only sounds. It's kinda helping me to pay more attention to kanji rather than just going for the meaning.
I'll start KKLC in January.

What does mean だったら in this sentence?
どうせもう面は割れてる正面から行ったつて門前払いサだったら裏から忍び込む
Conjuction or condition?

Okay, I think I'll have you explain me the picture.
desuarchive.org/a/search/image/GX3mkK9jDcn-iOosm8-MJQ/

Even in its apparent origins there was no context, is it related to calling someone stupid a doorknob?

condition. close to それなら

>It's kinda helping me to pay more attention to kanji rather than just going for the meaning.
that's kinda the main reason why I've started. during reviews I kept making stupid errors where I knew what the word means but mixed up kanji readings, almost in a dyslexic manner at times
the hope is that by studying individual kanji on the side it will force my brain to be more 'kanji aware' and not make dumb mistakes during vocab reviews and while reading

>I'll start KKLC in January.

that's a long time time away but if I'm still doing individual kanji study alongside vocab then there will be a lot to report on

i think you forgot 。 or 、.
どうせもう面は割れてる、正面から行ったって門前払いさ。だったら裏から忍び込む。
だったら=then

No. There was a point, back on Sup Forums, where some user was calling another user a newb and said "you're reaching around in the dark, you're not even scratching the doorknob" or something along those lines.

A few of us thought it was funny but the "oh muh gerd ferced mimis" people came out and killed it.

She can ram her head into my knob any time.

Did you just assume their gender?

B-but that doorknob looks very scratched, clearly someone's making their way through!

youtu.be/x_gj1c7AW88

>俺達に声をかけてきたのは、黒マントに黒いローブ、黒いブーツに杖を持ち、トンガリ帽子まで被った、典型的な魔法使いの少女だった。

I don't understand how the に work in this sentence...?
>黒マントに黒いローブ、黒いブーツに杖を持ち

Am I missing something?

Just linking things. It's translated as "and" or "with".

Ah I see. Thank you!

???

it is used often for things which are assumed to have a regularly occurring together relationship, like socks and shoes, salt and pepper, etc.
as well as listing items with orders and groups of people, which also carries the same sort of occurring together relationship

quoted the wrong person

Australia does it again.

>retention rate has been slowly slipping
>hit 40%
>consider quitting
>decide I gave up last time, I won't do it this time
>turn off new cards
>go full review mode
>retention rate has been slowly going up
i'm glad I didn't give up, but doing this whole no-new-card thing won't end up biting me in the ass aside from being like a week behind where I was before, right?

what?

>decide I gave up last time
Was there any doubt before?

not quite sure I understand, sorry

I have no idea, what does it mean?
先に奥の様子を見てくる

Just do KKLC. The mnemonics really help with memory, especially for similar looking kanji which used to be the bane of my existence.

はいい。まい にっがす これはぼくの初めてにぽすと

Omaera anime de nihongo wo study suru ka ?

bump

男冥利

I'm having trouble with the following sentence, maybe someone could tell me if my understand is correct:

明日行くのはお母さんのお母さんの方のおばあちゃんなわけよ

Tomorrow I'm going to my grandma, who is my mom's mom.

Does 方 in this case indicate the "side of the family"?

>it's another day studying japanese universities instead of doing my math homework

>77700393
Sorry for the late reply

At it's core, applying to a japanese university is not much difference from applying to an american university. However, if you don't already have a bachelor's degree, you may be forced to take the EJU (Entrance exam, the same exam the actual japanese take). However, if your college is english specific, they may not do this if your existing GPA is good enough.

The problem with attending japanese university is entirely a financial one. If you're reading this post, and wondering how to do this, chances are you won't qualify for the MEXT. It has an acceptance rate of about 10%

In order to pass the MEXT, you need to figure out a research project for yourself, then pass a 3-hour english exam followed by a 3-hour japanese exam whose difficulty is about N2-level. And you need high grades in those.

Then, you have an interview where you sit with a table of lawyers trying to find a way to deny you the scholarship. This is where you gloat about your career, maybe your affiliation with japanese organizations, and explain any connections to Japan that you might have.

The test is administered in Washington D.C so on top of Japanese lawyers you might have actual american lawyers interpreting your methods.

MEXT is an extremely grueling and extremely stressful process, so you probably want at least 2 years of research/practice for it, but being accepted in MEXT gets you into Japan for your master's degree.

To put this into perspective, MEXT accepts about 4,000 people from around the world each year. That means you're not competing with just americans, you're competing with the entire world. You gotta know your shit and you gotta be taking those JLPT's while also participating/helping with any japanese organizations you might have located near you.

But with enough determination, this is a gateway into Japan.

How would I express a number of consecutive days? As in something like "I have to go to work 10 days in a row"

fixed link

Would 美しい be a little strong when complimenting my acquaintances' music? Or should I stick with キレイ?

>using either of those to describe music you don't love

what
just use suteki you fucking dweeb
unless the music belongs to a girl and you have a boner for said girl

Use 嫌い then act like you just realized you used the wrong word and make a joke out of it. You'll get laid for sure.

But I do love these songs. I just wasn't sure if those could come off as a little too strong or something.

Are you talking to a guy or a girl?

if it's a guy and you genuinely love the music, use sugoi or totemo kakkoi!

you don't call another man's music lovely or beautiful, like wtf.

Girl to girl pls no bully

Someone please explain why a brothel is covering up as an archery range.

>Girl to girl pls no bully

if it's girl to girl, why are you wondering if "lovely" or "beautiful" Is a good way to compliment their music?

of course it is. no matter what country they are form, girls still be girls.

That's true. Thank you.

Heisig's RTK

Pros:
>Easy to begin and learn the first thousand kanji relatively quickly
>Learning meanings first will make it easier to learn vocabulary and readings later
>Logical ordering of kanji at least in terms of familiarity with radicals and retention

Cons:
>Not immediately useful if you wait to learn vocabulary
>Often mnemonics are a nuisance rather than helpful and lead to learning wrong meanings
>Meanings themselves aren't always the most common or the best approximation, since Heisig claims to base it on the character's 'primitive meaning'
>Often assigns a completely random meaning to a character to help with learning other kanji (does this a lot with radicals/primitives)
>Learning English translations for Japanese meanings means the nuance of a character is often lost

>Does 方 in this case indicate the "side of the family"?

Yes. But there's nothing specific about its usage to family. There are two grandmothers, the "one" she is going to is her mother's mother. You could just the same use 方 when picking a brand of ice cream or for any other kind of comparison.

Dear Japanese friends, what is Kanno Yoko-san's official site/page? I have an important question for her (hoping she responds)

jvcmusic.co.jp/seatbelts/

They know how to work a shaft.

I've stopped learning Japanese since the use for it is very limited for me and the opportunity cost is too high

But it still haunts me every now and then

Arigatou gozaimasu senpai. Very sorry I can't speak a better Japanese but I will work on it

maybe to have an excuse why many men go there and a hiding place for the actual brothel at the "range"

How many hours did you put in it?

You should ask her how she feels about plagiarism

I'll go check (what's going on inside) first.

先に first (before others)
奥 further inside
様子 status, what's happening, what's going on
見てくる look (and come back)

きれい is much more natural. 美しい sounds like you're a professional music critic listening to classical or something.

Big thank, bro

I'm back with more an sentence to do am better.
のみ雨水を飲むに体上げる
(I) only drink rain water to improve my health.

Also would it be fine if I just stop doing new cards on anki and just go full review until I really get my vocab down?

I started talking to some girl in Japan and she says this.
I still don't understand what the deal is with 四季.
Maybe I'm just an uncultured American but I thought a lot of places had four seasons...

Maybe she means they're all noticeable unlike in places such as Florida

>I thought a lot of places had four seasons...
They do, but don't tell that to Japanese people. They'll have an embolism.
Seriously, it's a bragging point for many Japanese people that Japan has four distinct seasons. Just say America does, too, and ask her which she likes or something.

Why isn't it "彼から” instead of "彼に”?

I've heard good things about iTalki if you're interested in speaking to people via video chat. It is paid, though. Most community tutors charge around $10/hr. for lessons but have trial lessons for cheap.

djtarchive.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#に(3)
> に3 is typically used in passive, causative, もらう/てもらう constructions and with verbs such as 借りる 'borrow', 聞く 'hear', もらう 'receive', 習う 'learn', 教わる 'learn' which require a noun phrase representing the source of the direct object.
Dunno why exactly, just is though

Scratch that, I just forgot the reason
>The difference between に3 (of source) and から1 is that the former indicates the speaker's psychological closeness to a human source, whereas the latter doesn't. This difference explains why is ungrammatical if the source is an impersonal institution to which the speaker can hardly feel close, as shown in [1].

>Maybe I'm just an uncultured American but I thought a lot of places had four seasons...

Japan has a philosophical understanding behind seasons, complete with seasonal mindsets.

America used to do this back in the day, leading to awesome poetry by the likes of Robert Frost, but this has declined over the years. America stopped giving a shit about the seasons other than the changes in weather, but this hasn't stopped in Japan

to this day, there is still extreme symbolism and attachment with the japanese mindset to the concept of seasons.

四季. is sort of a form of patriotism, like "HEY! WE GIVE A SHIT ABOUT SEASONS!"

nobody outside of japan actually cares though

hm, I see. thanks