Are people just not that interested in music anymore?

Maybe im just getting older. Does anyone else feel like music as a whole has become less relevant to culture? Of course there is still music being produced, making money and a bunch of popular songs, but it just seems like people arent that engaged by it anymore. Like its become just something to fill the silence and nothing more. Why is this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PbgKEjNBHqM
youtube.com/watch?v=r-D5jGMuBtI
musikchan.com/music/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because people are being dumbed down

Especially culturally

Most music in the history of music has been shit. We just hear about the good shit of the past. Have you ever gone through old records at a goodwill? Lots of shit to find.

Plus no one pays for music anymore so labels just stay with safe acts and you don't hear about the small groups anymore.

I think there are a ton of factors that go into this

The internet with streaming and torrents probably helped make music less relevant culturally

On top of that, music that is serious and heartfelt is sometimes shunned in favor of more jaded music that has absolutely nothing to say

MTV came and went

Vinyl records, while making a comeback, are no where near as relevant as they were and are mostly just overpriced gimmicks at book stores

We all cheered when the major labels were in decline in the mid 2000s but now that they're mostly dead I kind of wish they were back in a way
as I don't foresee any labels churning out the next big thing, but it's like the next big thing is more segmented a fractured and only relevant to small pockets
of people instead of an entire population...take Death Grips for example and their meteoric rise on this board and how "culturally relevant" they are to us
My parents know Nirvana but I can assure you they've never heard of DG
Kind of the first example that came to mind

Music is unfathomably cheapened by streaming and artists are in no way shape or form able to make a living from music unless you have improbable amounts
of popularity and tour constantly while shilling t-shirts or something

I also think music that's actually relevant culturally is actually getting overlooked by the mainstream as a whole

The rise and fall of certain genres also has a lot to do with it

Back in the day pop records usually had something to say and people wanted to listen, now I think pop artists have nothing to say and no one would listen even if they did

It's a complicated mess but I think music is definitely cheapened
If you're a new artist that even has any kind of potential whatsoever this is disheartening as even if you made a masterpiece there's a chance no one would notice or care
You basically have to sell yourself to microgenres to make any money and doing what you want isn't as profitable

idk man things are a fucking mess right now

idk what you're talking about, music is everywhere. arguably the dominant art form in western culture

Once I realized fucking FILM MUSIC and not even popular songs but the background music is probably more popular than most genres of metal I knew we are going into some dire straits.

i don't notice people honing in on specific artists nearly as much as i used to.
most people i know listen to pandora or spotify radio. i think the abundance can be a bit overwhelming to some people.

That could be prevented if metal wasn't shit

It is probably saturation, old music is too available and its too easy to have a popular album. Back when music companies controlled everything they could basically set the curve for what people wanted and made them care.

ah yes. how terrible for our culture that professionally-produced orchestral music is more popular than autistic groaning and screeching

If I go onto bandcamp, every single band/artist sounds like something I've already heard. Why bother?

I don't understand these types of posts, the current climate is pretty easy to navigate. You already know that mass appeal manufactured pleb garbage goes straight to the top. If your looking for music that is engaging and more meaningful you literally have millions and millions of records at your fingertips, yet you feel that music is lacking. Spare a few hours and wade through any music service I.e, youtube, spotify, and find something you can appreciate, it's really simple.

Music has ultimately diminished due to its over commercialization. The essences of the art form, as a medium in which to convey emotion in cannot fulfill what it strived to achieve. For some in the outside world, this catastrophe doesn't remotely phase them. However, as a board, we primarily distinguish ourselves from reality time and time again in order to preserve what we love. Prosperity reigned here as a testament to our separation from the cruelty of reality. We felt safe and secure here... until recently. The people who lived in blissful ignorance about the original beauty of music has seeped- no, invaded here. We thought we could overpower them, but it was all a heartless facade. We let them poison our kingdom and demolish our castle, and now the ruins in which we bled our hearts through remains. And now the future looks at us in pity...
I agree with you fully. How were we so weak to let this board fail us? Is there any hope for the board to return to its original state, before we fall into the abyss of obscurity and all suffer the fate of a thousand demons? We need a new light. A new sword. A new Stone. A new elixir to cure our sickness. A new wizard to be born to heal our putrid wounds, guide us with the emanating crystals of revitalization, flow deep within our minds to tickle our creative sides, unlock our treasure chests and flourish with our bounties. I just want to want again. I just want a world to surpass myself, and all the lies that inhabit me. I want to want again. Please... just let me incite the flames I've nurtured.

there are masterpieces on bandcamp, they are just impossible to find

;-;

Music has been sterilized by the culture industry, my boy adorno was right

Fucking nailed it and hit me right in the feels.

>Why don’t you use spotify user, why do you download and tag everything yourself like an idiot?
>Spotify gives you recommendations, why do you look for music?
>Downloading music is stupid, why do you connect your phone to your computer?

Streaming has removed everything special about finding new music.
Everything is disposable now, that’s just the society we live in at this point.
I’m not trying to say I’m superior for downloading my music, I just don’t want to Stream shit from Spotify because I like to know my music, I don’t like to use it as a background for my life and forget what artist I listened to last week.
Every so often, I’ll go through my library and uncover something that I completely forgot that I had and I remember everything about it.
Plus, I don’t know if streaming services always have everything by specific artists.

Is this a pasta

Well, considering music is so easy to get, but once you've listened to a ton of music there's so much crap to wade through it's almost not worth the effort...

>Like its become just something to fill the silence and nothing more. Why is this?

it started with the walkman, honestly.

before the walkman, to enjoy music used to be a group activity. Yes, stereos had headphone jacks before the walkman, but listening to music was at the time just as engaging an entertainment as a TV, or surfing the net of today.

People sang and danced more openly to that music. There was a ritual to enjoy the music, to get the record/tape player going, and that had intertia.

The logical conclusion of the walkman is reached with cellphones of sufficient storage or with basically limitless streaming. All at the stroke of your fingers. No ritual, no inertial. The convenience eliminated it.

I think its not just the music itself, but the technology we use to enjoy it.

You are superior for downloading music. Don't forget that.

Are you being ironic?

No. I sincerely agree with everything in your post.

Thanks man. I just really fucking care about my music, and I’m sure plenty of people here can relate.

This. My CD player broke so I opened it up and was fixing it when a buddy stopped over and said several things, including:

>You still buy CDs?
>Why don't you just buy a new one it would be easier?
>How do you know how to do this you're such a nerd.

Every single thing in our lives is now replaceable. To know how to sustain yourself is seen as strange, or worse stupid. I fear the day waifu programs are a real thing because that is the day people become replaceable.

I know what's happened, you grew up. Music is for young people and a 16 yr old right now is just buzzing over all the cool music and going to see his favourite act sometime, its all there for him and anyone into it. You're just not into it anymore

This is a very underappreciated factor
Back in the day you had to go out of your way to listen to older music, especially lesser known underground music from even 5 years before
Now you can google “Can- Future Days” and you can instantly listen to this German band from the 70s. There’s not as much incentive to explore modern underground music.

This is a problem with everything now. No one stops just to enjoy anything, especially not anything with other people anymore. When all forms of entertainment are available for free or near free there is no point to involve anyone else. When all material is available online for cheaper and better why go to the store and talk to people.

I have no solution, I do the same thing, but I can see the problem.

the best album i ever found on bandcamp was by accident

I’m sure we’re both thinking the same thing, it’s just fucking sad.

Piggybacking on this. Sup Forums was a place to discover music and collectively talk about lesser known works. Now meme rap and pop threads hit post limit. That's the final nail in the coffin. I literally have no place to talk about music, because no one really cares about music.

The worst part about that is that Sup Forums is relatively good place to talk about music. Every day I see a new artist. They might not be my thing but they are at least being posted and if I want to call them shit I am well within my right to do so.

Reddit rarely posts anything new and if I talk shit I am immediately downvoted. God forbid I criticize a mainstream artist.

I used to care about music a lot. But the hipsters started becoming poptamists. Rock died, rap became too mainstream and big, electronic music got rebranded as "EDM" and got watered down and markted to dude bros, and everyone ran out of ideas.

What is mainstream music? pop rap, pop. thats it, nothing new, nothing cool or weird, just the same shit. no new sound.

The record companies dont want talented people they want famous people. This is how you get like complete morons like jake paul or youtube stars being pushed as music.

the record companies themselves have helped lessened the value of music.

Why am i supposed to care about an endless assembly line of sound cloud rappers named "lil nigglet" that have rainbow hair and mumble about xanax?

Why am i suppused to care about some pop ho who cant dance, cant sing, doesnt write or produce her own music and will be replaced the second she turns 25?

Why am i supposed to care about some indie chick who is like totally a feminist™ ya'll and she's quirky and blah blah blah

Im happy just to listen to old nirvana songs on youtube

At least it reminds me of when i didnt hate being alive

.youtube.com/watch?v=PbgKEjNBHqM

Nailed it

especially true of female artists.

I think Elle King was the last one to break this pop mold that actually got played, and she's not anywhere near model aesthetic.

The visual component wasn't the end all be all even as late as the 90s. You still had things like Bonnie Raitt, and even Alanis Morisette that could make it without tramping it up.

Kids and blacks are who pay for music. You don't. That's why top 40 is for them and not you

>black people
>money

I won't pretend to have been alive long enough, or to have been social enough to notice this in real time, but listening to what was considered "house music" in the 90's versus today is pretty fucking depressing.

What do you mean?

music has become so accessible to the point it's lost its relevance and artistic uniqueness

The only time anyone listened to it back then was dancing high on ecstacy in the dark so who cares, it had a beat

I'm trying to imagine walking into a club and hearing Future sound of London playing, but I can't even imagine it. Did that ever actually happen?

It still happens in Britain.

Dance music in the 90s and early 00s as a whole was very different to current, post-US mainstreamization dance music, or just EDM.

There's the mythic late 80s rave scene apprently warehouses and the like, don't know wasn't around, Moby talks about it in his porcelain book but maybe he even kind of missed it

>but it's like the next big thing is more segmented a fractured and only relevant to small pockets
>of people instead of an entire population...take Death Grips for example and their meteoric rise on this board and how "culturally relevant" they are to us
>My parents know Nirvana but I can assure you they've never heard of DG

Yeah that's the thing. It makes everything feel so much more lame and lackluster.

Electronic music was never mainstream in america.
After disco died america wanted nothing to do with dance music. So dance music went undergound and turned into house and techno.
These genres flew over to europe where electronic music was much bigger (and personally i think europeons were way better at making elecctronic music)

Electronic music had some minor hits in america, fatboy slim, crystle method, prodigy, shit like that in the 90's.

But it wasnt until around the beginning of this decade america took electronic music and ruined it with wubstep skrillix, and a never ending line up of like swedish dudes you never heard of

Pretty much.

Streaming fucked everything up.

Huh, wasn't there a lot of dance hits in the 90s and 80s though? You don't remember the New Jack Swing and House craze?
It was still being played in clubs

>fatboy slim, crystle method, prodigy
It's also notable how big beat in america was marketed as the new rock and roll.

This never happened in the US.
youtube.com/watch?v=r-D5jGMuBtI

Not until 15 years later anyway, and in much worse form.

I just realized you were talking about mainstream white America. You're right then.

Very enlightening. Thank you.

>Me: *playing Toro y Moi in the car*
>Girl I was driving with: "Omg user, this is so good. What playlist is this?"
>Me: "It's...an album."

Yeah, fuck this current generation.

House music was literally invented in America. Just like every other kind of music

>but it's like the next big thing is more segmented a fractured and only relevant to small pockets of people instead of an entire population
i kinda prefer this honestly. this is our future, we'll only have niche communities

Bobby Brown's On Our Own, Cathy D "come and get my love", most of Janet Jackson hits, most of Madonnas, ect were literally top 3 hits of the billboard hot dance chart in the country. What are you talking about?

Britain stopped caring about rock music altogether in the 90's. Britpop had to be invented by the British government for the few folk still interested in rock music to keep them away from American grunge.

That's what popular music has always been.

Fuck that. I miss the days of megastar superstars. It made things far more exciting tbqh.

False

Fuck off revisionist.

The Detroit guys found the most success and acceptance in Europe, though.

Another user recommended ILM (I love Music) and Waxidermy. Should we all just migrate there?

>thread about spotify started in 2008 still up
Funny to read.

But the layout is shit. I probably won't switch. Chans are just so well put together, even if their userbase is shit.

>I don’t like to use it as a background for my life and forget what artist I listened to last week.
Do people really do this?

xltronic-styled messageboards need to have a comeback

>not anonymous
>You just joined/your post count is that low?
opinion disregarded.

I left forums for a reason, the culture is just bad.

Also, I don't know if people will agree with me on this but I think Social Media partially destroyed music culture as well. Having music constantly tinged in SJWism and politics pretty much ruined its natural vibe.

there were ravers in america, but it was more of an underground niche type of deal. Like club kids.
Party monster.
Super gay.

It wasnt till the 2010's america takes a giant shit on electronic music and turns it into the mainstream corporate abomination known as EDM.

So pre 2010's electronic music is a niche with minor hits in america, and creative and amazing thing in European countries

Basically america ruined electronic music

Some music has always been political. Listen to folk from the 60s ffs. You might not like it, as I don't, but don't pretend it's new.

Well I'm open to ideas. It's becoming more and more apparent everyday that we're amongst 12 year olds who only want to shitpost. Reddit obviously isn't the answer, unless there's a way to make an anonymous subreddit with no upvoting.

Has anyone considered that the sheer volume of music made accessible by the Internet has virtually made it disposable? When there are more albums made in the 20th century alone than I could ever listen to, and all of them are available online, what incentive do I have to browse new music?
I don't have all that much free time. What's the incentive to take my chances on some random Bandcamp upload when I can browse the (literally thousands) of high-rated albums in the RYM charts and find some album from 1978 that's guaranteed to be good by hundreds of other users?
I assume back in the day you had to listen to new music because there wasn't an expansive back catalogue available, and tracking down old records was difficult - the new stuff was the most readily accessible to a consumer.
But if I can listen to any album from any time period, why seek something new when there are all these agreed-upon classics I've never heard?

Social media gave birth to unprecedented mob rule. If you're a fresh talent these days you have to be leftist or your career is as good as dead.

If you read the thread yeah it's been talked about. Pair that with almost no one buying music anymore and you get what we have now.

I don't think that this thread is about that.

>yeah it's been talked about
You're right, sorry for the unnecessary text brick

this. the simple layout of what Sup Forums is what keeps me coming back, despite the oftentimes horrendous nature of the content that's posted. no votes, no accounts, no cult of personality surrounding the mods, minimal BS on the site's part. it's why i can't go back to posting on forums

I'm aware. There's just more unnecessary pressure from artists these days and a bigger mob mentality.

That being said, social media is basically what to tabloids was for celebrities in the 2000s and 90s.

But at least tabloid writers weren't just random nobodies.

Why aren't there Sup Forums clones?

There are hundreds of forums with essentially the same layout, why can't we have other places for discussion that are the same website but with a different user base?

the solution here seems easy.
Dont have any social media.

King kruel doesnt have a twitter and i dont know anything about him besides what he presents

musikchan.com/music/index.html

>Why aren't there Sup Forums clones?

Lad, lad, oh normal fag.

There are like hundreds of image boards, break away chans.

Sup Forums isnt even the first chan.
2chan is

Same. I also can push back better against an opinion I disagree with on an anonymous board, desu. On a forum there's just this massive circle jerking and a hard time penetrating against that (because the reporting system, cult personalities, ect) that's a pain in the ass.

Still, I keep leaving here for months on end because the content here ultimately exhausts me faster than what is on SM or mainstream forums, only because it's more shut-in and aggressively contrarian nature.

yeah but i like some of the people who go on social media. and i like seeing things about my favorite artist. but still, social media is a beast and giving people the right to say so many things at once is a mistake. it's driving a lot of people literally insane.

There are literally hundreds. Some better than other. I'm unaware of one exclusivly for music though.

I haven't been in years but last I checked 420chan was decent. Just don't get offput by the hardcore druge use.

is this one any good

I've been to a russian Sup Forums but its pretty shit judging from the album covers posted there

There are very, very many Sup Forums clones. Or more accurately there's very many 2ch clones of which Sup Forums is one.

Problem with other imageboards is that of the ones that aren't Sup Forums they either a) have all the problems that Sup Forums has but even more pronounced like 4*2chan, b) aren't in English or c) are glacially slow.

The internet is a mistake.

This is definitely part of it and it's not limited to music too. The internet proliferates a creation overload. When everyone has the bare minimum tools needed to make something, and they do it, and anyone can access it, the whole medium becomes a little more meaningless. Just see the visual arts and the written word. All new output is quickly rendered irrelevant by the sheer volume of newer output being generated on the daily. Music is just the next step.

There was clearly many things that led to the music decline. One of the earlier and more complex things was when radio stations started having to follow ever so strict playlists. This really showed up in the late 90's, and pretty much radio became only a ad speaker for record company promoted singles. Heck in the early 90's I had recorded on tape from the radio Led Zepplin IV and AC/DC's Back and Black. Played completely on radio. Radio stations used to have jocks that would pick favorites as well as the national singles. Radio used to be a way to get music to the masses and to give new bands and songs a chance. Not so the case today.

Radio is just bad. Every station plays the same 10 songs on a loop. It's one of those things I'm amazed still exists.

Hot 97 played all of Jay Z's Blueprint 3 on the radio when it came out. But that's probably the last cool thing any radio has done.

Sup Forums was started because moot used to post on a ye olde forum called "something awful" which is the root to a lot of things we have today
Only ancient fags who were using computers before smart phone know.
There was a thread about 2chan and the japs refuse to let gaijins post so moot stole thier source code and created Sup Forums. And here we are today, ten thousand trolls and autism later.

There are actually many chans.

7chan, , 2chan, krautchan, gurochan, 2ch.hk, 420chan, lainchan, ylilauta, hispachan, 99chan, britfa.gs, etc

maybe this is a stupid idea but why dont anyone do a discord channel?

There are many mu discord servers

The problem with discord is that its essentially chat rooms, so your music rec will be drowned in a sea of conversation.

because discord is cancer

>the japs refuse to let gaijins post
That happened after Sup Forums's inception.

music is no less or more relevant than before you're a fucking idiot this is a fucking dumb thread everyone who is indulging this is contrarian and garbage

the thread is more about, how people respond to the types of music

I understand that the internet changed a lot people's habits towards music, but I don't think we live in a particularly different world. Even back there most pop music sucked, hell it probably sucked more as major labels could do far more to influence the market as they wanted. Good music always happened (an most of all was listened to) in niches, with the only difference being that once those were based on geographical elements: local scenes, record stores, daring private radios etc. Now any idiot browsing the internet and spotify/bandcamp/soundcloud (i.e. me) can find out about anything from midwest emo bands to trap from some Paris banlieu to the latest flavours of electronic from club scenes in all the world or whatever other example you want. Are there consequences? Yes. Are they bad? Who the fuck knows.
Also the normies consumeristic attitude towards music never really changed, the difference is that now they have a wider range.

see