Bruno Mars just won Album of the Year over Childish Gambino, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, and Lorde

who the fuck did he pay?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1LOoRJ0s0rw
youtube.com/watch?v=tvTRZJ-4EyI
youtube.com/watch?v=UqyT8IEBkvY
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=588&v=5nYBdWPX0wQ
www36.zippyshare.com/v/BSMo8uM0/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=pOYY-YoAgmU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lesser of evils tbqh

>who the fuck did he pay?
You act like the Grammys historically won't go for the legacy (yes his mainstream career is 10 years old now) pop star who's had decent acclaim, sold a ton of records, and had a multiple giant singles, and is frankly hugely accessible and only slightly edgy (but not too much). He's the kind of mainstream pop artist that even the 40+ crowd, black and white, will tolerate because of his throwback sound. I went to a youth event recently where 24k magic played and EVERYBODY was dancing, black, white, asian, old, young, whatever.

It's that simple.

no one. his numbers are better than the rest, that's all that matters. all award shows like the grammys, oscars, etc. are simply pats on the back by people from within the industry that give you those awards if you stay within their game/system. that's all these awards, or any award really, is.

they're completely meaningless.

lol no

I haven't listened to any of those, but this result makes me the happiest.

That's the problem. No true talent is awarded. So sad.

well? show us all what "true talent" looks like. i'll wait.

No one

youtube.com/watch?v=1LOoRJ0s0rw

Middle aged white women fucking LOVE Bruno Mars.

He was the safe choice
His album was about black people without getting BLM or SJW political about it.

It's the safest album out of the 5 nominees. This isn't anything new. Christopher Cross' debut album beat out The Wall. Lionel Richard's Can't Slow Down beat out Purple Rain. A late career Steely Dan album beat out Kid A and the Marshal Mathers LP. Safe options typically win the grammys

You could always give it time, though. The winner surprises us every once in a while. Nobody thought Daft Punk would win AOTY. Outkast won AOTY once. Beck ended up winning it a couple years ago (seemingly out of nowhere to everyone watching). Something surprising could happen

fuck..... unironically this

>Childish Gambino, Jay-Z, Kendrick Lamar, and Lorde
None of their albums were good

Bruno mars is an MJ clone, i dont really like his music or listen to top 40 but if i had to choose i would pick him over rap niggers

it also makes me lol pretty hard because rap fags were denied again and they cant even play the race card because bruno is some nigger flip mongrel abomination

Hey guess what, the grammies suck, they gave steely dan the award over radioheads Kid A

I don't know anyone in real life who gives a fuck about Bruno Mars

Is Kendrick just gonna get robbed every year like Kanye?

steely dan deserved that over redditopleb you piece of shit

Kanye has 21 Grammys

wrong kiddo

Better than Damn. getting it desu

He's literally the only one nominated who can sing.

I see it now. I finally see why everyone hates old white people. They're the fucking plebbiest of plebs.

all albums are shit get over it

That's your circle. Your circle is probably full of socially inept weird nerds like you.

I dont know why rap faggots whine so hard. The two genres the grammies hate the most are rap and metal.
Metal heads dont give a shit. Have you ever seen a metal album win AOTY?
They despise metal.

They gave metal album of the year to jethro tull over Metallica in their prime

If you niggers dont know jethro tull plays a fucking flute

There's a darkness in Bruno Mars' music I can't quite put my finger on. Something sinister and cynical... maybe psychopathic.

bruno gets all demographics though

it's because he tries to rip off michael, james brown and prince in equal measure but his voice sounds robotic, generic, too perfect

DAMN.jpg

None for album of the year.

It could've been anyone. Why the fuck did it have to be Bruno Mars?

Its not some special illustrious category, its just as shitty as the others.

I saw an interview with him once where he got asked about whether he feels like he's plagiarizing them and he was like "hell yeah I am! They're so great and talented! If I can pay tribute to them by copying them I'm gonna do it!"
All artists have influences. But when you get to the point where you're abjectly ripping off other artists and getting acclaim from fans who aren't familiar with the songs you're ripping off, that's not right.

Because it was the best album, get fucked

Who the fuck doesn't know MJ, James brown, or Prince?

Or he's just a male performer. Why does Bruno get called out for so called "ripping" off older artists but people like SZA, Weeknd, Kendrick even do it and it's fine? Cause Bruno makes it more obvious?

>Awaken my love wasnt good
kys

youtube.com/watch?v=tvTRZJ-4EyI
vs
youtube.com/watch?v=UqyT8IEBkvY

Brunos music just has more staying power.

>The absolute state of Sup Forums
I honestly cannot understand why any of you self-proclaimed music fans would even give a shit about something as shitty as the Grammy Awards. Do you also care for MTV awards? Or who's on the cover of Rolling Stone or gets more Instagram likes? What the fuck

It's fun. Sometimes the Grammys nominate/give awards to Sup Forumscore artists

Its the music board. Of course people are going to joke about it. Notice how almost nobody is treating the Grammys seriously?

Most of the 10-20 year old demographic that is Bruno Mars' primary audience. I guarantee most of them are way more familiar with Bruno Mars' ripoffs than they are with the originals.

Look mom I'm so edgy and contrarian

Lmao fuck off faggot

It was elementary. The song structures sounded like a 15 year old wrote them and a producer polished the turd. All it had was good timbre and you can buy that off a shelf.

>It's the safest album out of the 5 nominees. This isn't anything new. Christopher Cross' debut album beat out The Wall. Lionel Richard's Can't Slow Down beat out Purple Rain. A late career Steely Dan album beat out Kid A and the Marshal Mathers LP. Safe options typically win the grammys
>/thread
fug

Shit guys, you hear that? the song structures were ELEMENTARY. we have a music theory expert over here.

Is that why they constantly say, "oh this sounds like MJ" or "Oh this reminds me of Prince!". EVERYBODY knows who Prince, MJ, and James Brown is.

You're just a hating ass faggot who's making up shit because you don't like him.

yeah nice anecdote there buddy. Trust me, Bruno Mars' target audience doesn't hear one of his songs and say "oh, this is a classic pop song that pays tribute to Prince!" They listen to a Bruno Mars song and say "wow this is a great song that bruno mars wrote! And also my dad has a prince record I've never listened to."

ok calm down STAN. everyone gets flak for ripping off somebody but bruno, while being very talented, his entire image feels like a very prepackaged and watered down amalgamation of older artists. considering he came from that jason mraz angle originally, it feels quite forced. i feel exactly the same about the weeknd but he did come at it from a more mature, alternative angle (even tho he is a significantly worse live performer than bruno)

i don't like kendrick but i don't know who he rips off other than stealing bill withers stuff

He's apparently a raging asshole irl and I believe it

MOST POWERFUL RACE wins again baby
>Kills all druggies
>Respected by the most powerful leaders
>Dominate music when hip hop is at it's peak

Damn I'm okay with this winning. I really liked the album.

AOTY is meaningless. The last good album to win it was Thriller.

DAMN.

Why? Nobody cared about this album. I don't know any singles off of it. I can almost assure you it didn't come close to outselling DAMN. It probably didn't even outsell 4:44.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=588&v=5nYBdWPX0wQ

And I'll stay it again. at least compared to jay z and kendrick lemar. bruno mars music is more fun to play. and I mean actually play. which will give it longevity for people

don't forget about The Suburbs winning AOTY 2010
that was crazy

It didn't sell more than DAMN. It did outsell 4:44

Bruno Mars does not deserve to win any awards. He can’t sing for shit and his so-called “music” is one of the biggest piles of fucking shit I have ever heard along with the rest of thday’s pop music. Mars hasn’t got any fucking talent whatsoever.

you are correct

24K Magic
>710,000 copies sold and 1,626,000 album-equivalent units earned in the US throughout 2017

DAMN.
>By the end of 2017, Damn had sold 910,000 copies and earned 2,747,000 album-equivalent units in the US

>Outkast won AOTY once
Well no shit. The competition was fucking Evanesence and Missy Elliot and shit.

That album was not only hugely acclaimed (91 on Metacritic), but it sold 11 million units and had two #1 singles and another Top 10 hit.

Easy pick, not to mentioned they had been nominated for AOTY before with "Stankonia".

>24K Magic
,000 copies sold and 1,626,000 album-equivalent units earned in the US throughout 2017
>throughout 2017

24K Magic came out in October 2016 though. So what about those sales?

People who claim “I used to not like Bruno Mars but I respect him as a musician for carrying the torch of funk music” are the fucking worst plebs around

Pop always wins. Pop is a product that appeals to all markets, doesnt offend, something anybody can like. Even the most elitist hipster would get it stuck in his head.

Mars doesnt really bring anything new to the table but he does a good job, he makes quality radio music.

A lot of his music is insanely influenced by the past.

Locked out of heaven is basically a the police song

Right now all across america rap faggots are trashing thier rooms and im loling

Ok
Enjoy your Keeping Up with the Kardashians, kid

>it's fun
I don't agree, but fair enough I guess.

>childish gambino

literal meme

>jay-z

washed up has-been

>kendrick lamar

pretentious pseduo-political anti-white trash

>lorde

world's ugliest tranny

dude pessimism lmao

not the other guy but who are you trying to fool? if you're on Sup Forums you're a fuckin weirdo. yeah you can chat with the guys at the gym, go to some cool events and what not but deep down you're a freak who likes to watch philosophy lectures on youtube.

>being this dumb

24k had 1,626,000 album units in 2017, but it also had nearly 700k album units in 2016 upon initial release.

That's said, Kendrick still has the edge in album sales by about 300k (at least right now), but Bruno will likely catch up after all these wins.

And quite frankly Bruno has had much more exposure from this album. Two of his singles sold/streamed 5+ million units (1,500 streams = 1 unit btw), another 1 million + units, and another nearly a million units. The latest single dropped the other week has just gone to #3 on the Hot 100.

Not to mention this shit was all over the radio too on a wide variety of formats: mainstream pop, Rhythmic Top 40, RnB, Urban Adult Contemporary, Dance, Hip-Hop (and yes people still listen to the radio).

That's 5 huge singles (2 of which were GIGANTIC) off a 9 track album. And he may even drop another single after this in the wake of all this newfound publicity.

>being adult and caring about album of the year

Nigga, look at youtube comments and the comments on his facebook, twitter, and instagram. You're just being dense.

Okay, what does Kendrick do that Tupac and Kanye didn't?

>>being this dumb
The article he quoted was only ranking album sales from Jan 1 2017 to December 31 2017, regardless of whether they came out in 2017 or not. 24k Magic came out in 2016, therefore there are additional sales not included in that tally.

Have you heard them? Compare it to Jamiroquais album of the same year and get back to me.

dude its all true lmao

Can you shut the fuck up with your forced luls im on Sup Forums bullshit racism? He's just a plain Rodriguez who grew up in Hawaii, he's not some abomination he's a perfectly normal race that exists in nature.

Steely Dan deserved some Grammy sometimes victims are made who cares Radiohead still wins every year.

That's not how that works loser

Why do you contrarian nonconformist faggots give a shit who wins most popular album/song/group of the year awards?

Bruno mars is not even black his parents are hawaiian and puerto rican

He is literally getting away with stealing black music and gets credit and awards for it

>likes childish gambino
>"kys"
Underage.

Bruno Mata is Asian and Puerto Rican

lol kill yourself you fucking swamp creature. leave Sup Forums if you want people to pretend you arent a disgusting nigra

Cultural appropriation?

Well by the merit of sales, popularity and acclaim, Ed Sheeran's X should've beat Morning Phase. X is and was certainly more popular than Beck's album. 4 million RIAA sale count for the US compared to Morning Phase's 500k. The album even features some of his most popular hits; several hitting top 10 in the US and hitting the top on the UK charts. Critic scores were a bit under Morning Phase's, but they're still decent. Morning Phase, on the other hand, is a late career from an artist who's already had other albums of better quality nominated for AOTY (Odelay, Midnight Vultures), but lost to other choices. The only thing it had over X (on paper) is critic scores; and if critic scores were the one deciding factor nominators looked at harder than other factors, and were used to determine the winner, DAMN would've beaten 24K Magic.

I'm not saying it should've beaten it, though. I'm actually happy seeing Bruno Mars win. It was also the safest of the options, possibly the best as well (depending who you ask). Kendrick doesn't need to win AOTY off of an album less interesting than his previous two (I don't feel like Beck needed to win for a lesser album under his eclectic belt, either, but I'm happy he finally won AOTY). Daft Punk beating GKMC wasn't disappointing to me; Daft Punk crated a well made album that paid tribute to their inspirations and did a wonderful job at producing it. Not to mention, Get Lucky was nearly as inescapable to 2014 as Hey Ya was for 2004. It's pop, but at least it doubled as art too. 1989... Eh... I think he was snubbed, but Taylor was the safe option there

Speakerboxxx was definitely the better album for 2004, but Elephant and Fallen aren't bad albums either (I can't say about the other two nominees for that year; I haven't listened). 2004 is definitely a year where I can say they actually picked the best choice

Thinking about it, could you imagine if Evanescence actually won AOTY? What would that've done to the nu-metal scene?

>constantly credits black people
>black people worked on his fucking album and got share of AOTY

>stealing black music

You dumb niggers want to cry muh racism but literally do the same to others. It's pathetic.

& Puerto Ricans are literally multiracial with Afrocentric cultures / roots. Is he supposed to ignore that just because he's light?

he's the only jew in the bunch. checks out

Jewish ancestry is not inherited from the father.

>Childish Gambino
Too new, they wouldn't win over someone already established
>Jay-Z
He couldn't even take Best Rap Album, you think he's gonna win this?
>Kendrick
Sorry, talking about syrup sandwiches and MUH DRUMPF doesn't qualify as music
>Lorde
Fucking kek my dude.

You can't tell me you never heard "That's What I Like" or "24k Magic".

Who got the link tho

That is exactly something a Jew would say.

Just pointing out the obvious
So far theres no acutal outcry for it

it's because he did a complete 180 in his attitude and public persona almost overnight. it's easy to forget that he was churning out some of the sappiest, softest shit imaginable circa 2010-2011 and now he's a tough guy pimp who's carrying the torch of synth funk? not buying it.

www36.zippyshare.com/v/BSMo8uM0/file.html

His father has more of a jewish roots tho

So? Green Day went from talking about masturbation to politics. It works.

>www36.zippyshare.com/v/BSMo8uM0/file.html 24k magic zip mega

thanks bro

he was the less shitty, so that is why he won

Bruno is a genius
youtube.com/watch?v=pOYY-YoAgmU