Is acting even that difficult...

Is acting even that difficult? I notice a lot of rappers and other popstar type celebs attempt acting and some of them get roles, and continue to get roles. Is acting so easy anyone can do it with a little bit of training and practice?

If you've ever told a lie and had someone believe you, you can act. This is why actors are so pretentious - they know what a bluff they're on.

Some autistic people make for magnificent actors, because after years of being bullied for not picking up social-cues, that's precisely what we did. We studied, we learned and we displayed those very same social-cues.

t. autismo

If you're not doing serious drama, it's not really that hard if you're a performer of any sorts. It's mostly about being confident + the ability to do something repeatedly on cue in a precise manner. If you're an artist of any sort, you kind of fit that bill.

At the same time, though, anytime you think acting isn't that hard, just watch some montage of bad cameo performances by non-actors so you can get some perspective. You don't really comprehend the difference between a passable actor and a bad one until you see actual bad acting.

You have to keep in mind a lot of them get those roles because they already have a large following and fans so they can help promote the movie.

I already have to act like a normie every day, how hard can it be?

When you're rapping you're putting on a performance. Many of the same skills are relatable to an acting performance. Anyone can act the same way anyone can rap. Doesn't mean you'll be any good at it.

>Is acting even that difficult?
No, at least it isn't hard for tv/movies.

On stage in front of a live audience? That is tough.

it's fucking hard. especially if you're self-conscious, shy or have social anxiety issues

Acting is just about becoming someone or something else and believing it

I have all those things, but they seem to magically go away when I'm in front of a camera and on stage. It's weird tbch.

Dramatic acting can be tough, for sure. Pic related for an example of how not to act.

i have them too and if i ever had to act i would be in constant fear of appearing like your pic related

>tfw I want to be an actor but literally cannot ever contain my laughter for more than 3 seconds

fucked

it's not merely about acting

It's about being really really fucking good looking too

I had to act in a year 9 student movie me and my buddies made for media class.

I suck at acting. So as far as I'm concerned, yes, it's a skill.

yep

Don't hold me to this, but I've heard that Jon Hamm is a complete spaghetti lord that thrives in acting because it gives him that opportunity to be someone that isn't him.
He ended up being Don Draper.

Except he was reasonably good looking when he was younger.

Even "ugly" actors are at least two tiers above the average person when it comes to looks.

Coral trying to act edgy while handling firearms improperly is a growing theme the last couple seasons

Wasn't Hamm a jock in HS?

There's even that whole story about him and his mates setting fire to some kid or something.

I agree
No I don't, the average person isn't ugly, the average person is a solid 7 and you're just projecting because you're either ugly yourself r you hang out with ugly people

he has a face. He is not bland. I think it applies, like willem dafoe

He's a pretty good actor though.

You are either a good actor or really pretty.
Or just willing to brave the casting couch.

Are you really going to cherry picking for the absolute ugliest actors to try to refute the claim that the average actor is extremely good looking and that it's pretty much a job requirement?

Like...really?

Go away.

It's called being a character actor.

Man. I could really go for some cherries right now. Haven't eaten them in ages.

you suck at everything

Have you guys never seen an ad with the owner of the business?

Normal people can't fucking act, of course it's a fucking skill, idiots

If there's even one exception to the requirement, then it's not a requirement is it? original user's assertion was essentially that:
(1) Actors are solely cosmetic

(2) through replying to the OP's question, that acting ability is inherent in most people and that the only requirement to be a professional actor is to have that common ability in conjunction with an appealing physical appearance

And that's total bullshit because most actors are of average appearance. Hanks, De Niro, Nicholson, Day Lewis, Hopkins, Spacey, Cage, the list goes on. I mean even the supposedly good looking ones aren't that far above average. Spend just 10 seconds contemplating it - are Will Smith, Russel Crowe and Ed Norton **that** physically attractive? Or is a lot of their appeal in their fame, their wealth and their access to tailored clothing and professional cosmetics? Take all that away, and maybe keep their fitness regimes, and you're left with slightly above average people in appearance.

They did not land where they are by being 10s. They go there initially by being talented and hard working actors. That much shouldn't be controversial.

>the average person is a 7

You're beyond retarded

short men making it into the NBA doesn't mean height is still by and large a requirement and many times sufficient to enter in of itself

Because they just play themselves. Some do a decent job, others are awful (like Taylor Swift)

>Are you really going to cherry picking for the absolute ugliest actors to try to refute the claim that the average actor is extremely good looking and that it's pretty much a job requirement?
Actually not the one you're replying to, but I'd say those who aren't good looking are more successful than those who are attractive, think about it, good looking people would flock to acting thinking it'd b a cake walk while those who aren't don't think to follow that path

>by and large a requirement
I don't think you understand what a requirement is. There's no "by and large" with requirements.

Regardless, there's more exceptions to the rule than there are people meeting your rule when it comes to attractive actors. The same's not true of the NBA and height.
Go to the supermarket right now and have a look at the people who walk through there. Limit your survey to the 18-40 demographic and you'll find that most people are "not ugly", and there are roughly equal numbers of "ugly" and "attractive" people, regardless of what your taste is.

He didn't say being beautiful was the only requirement. Just that it's what a lot of actors cruise by using it and it's a huge boon that masks their lacking acting ability.

Hanks, De Niro, Nicholson, Day Lewis, Hopkins, Spacey, Cage are all good actors, their looks come second.

>Spacey
>Crowe
>average looking

Holy fuck this nigga is dumb.

There's a big difference in the acting range expected of a cameo or unimportant side character compared to the main character of the film. Any person with a little training can spit out a few lines in a laid back setting.

>Spacey
>not average looking
Seriously, what city do you live in? Uglyville, TN?

>Go to the supermarket right now and have a look at the people who walk through there. Limit your survey to the 18-40 demographic and you'll find that most people are "not ugly", and there are roughly equal numbers of "ugly" and "attractive" people, regardless of what your taste is.
The average person of the general population is a 5. That's the way averages work.

Take the top 10 male actors of today. Do you notice that the average shifts from a 5 to say...an 8? Yes?

Well there you go. Actors are on average better looking than the general population. It simply comes with the job. In fact there's a whole sub category of actors who get by on looks alone.

This really shouldn't be contentious.

>Go to the supermarket right now and have a look at the people who walk through there. Limit your survey to the 18-40 demographic and you'll find that most people are "not ugly", and there are roughly equal numbers of "ugly" and "attractive" people, regardless of what your taste is.

7 is not the average on a 1-10 scale, numbnuts.

Spacey was pretty sexy in American Beauty. His voice also adds to the appeal.

I'm guessing you don't watch local TV much huh?

>The average person of the general population is a 5. That's the way averages work.
hahaha
no
not even close
because that implies physical appearance is normally distributed like height. The average person of the general population is a 7. That's why when we say someone is a solid 7, we're not exactly paying them a compliment, we're more or less saying there's nothing unpleasant about their appearance. if you're a 6, something's wrong with your appearance. If I call someone a 5, I'm saying they're ugly. Very few people actually rank below a 5. It's like with movies, how when I say I give a movie a 7/10, it's not memorable, but it was okay. If I say a movie is 5/10, it's trash. Or test scores! Probably a better example - if you get 70% on an exam, you did okay. If you get 50%, you fucked up. If you get below 50%, did you even turn up to class?
Even if you assume there's an equal number of people associated to each score, and that the scores are discrete (n=10) (there aren't and it's not), the average would be 5.5.

>he has a face

Even moreso than just being attractive, this is the key to getting roles. You have to have a distinguishing look. If you're the kind of person people forget about or generally just blends into a crowd, it doesn't matter how good of an actor you are.

College. He's a frat boy who got expelled and there were some criminal charges that got dropped for a hazing incident.

First, I'm going to prove you wrong about Spacey.

Here's a graph of my view of the world. I put the average attractiveness as a 6.5, roughly Tom Hanks/Kate Winslet tier.

Now I'm going to prove you wrong about Crowe.

Yes. Give it a try and see that it takes years of practice and dedication to get good at like anything else.

The reason rappers and musicians and other non-music celebrities get into movies is because they sell tickets, not because they can act. Some end up being okay, but very few.

I never said Crowe was average looking. I said he was slightly above average. That user just has terrible reading comprehension. And with my hair done up, with professional lighting, in my peak athletic condition (two years ago), in a tailored suit, making whatever face the photographer told me to make, I'd look that good too.

This isn't that impressive? I see better headshots on my facebook newsfeed.

I would have a tough time acting happy on screen, like clapping or fists pumping in the air even if I was given no lines of dialogue.

Trying to cop out I see?

>I mean even the supposedly good looking ones aren't that far above average. Spend just 10 seconds contemplating it - are Will Smith, Russel Crowe and Ed Norton **that** physically attractive?

You never said anything about slightly above average. And Russel Crowe in his prime was definitely a handsome man, definitely above average.

You didn't even refute Spacey, lmao. But your next post will, because of your ego. Or not, because now you'll try to somehow "outsmart" this post.

I'm sure you'd totally look as good as a Russell Crowe, LMFAO

Okay, so to you, someone who is neither attractive nor unattractive (i.e. average) is a 7. This is an arbitrary point decided by you to be average attractiveness. What if someone else decided that the average point on their scale is 8? It makes much more sense for the the average point to be 5, since 5.5 is the average of a 1-10 scale.

Also, using an exam score as the basis for 7 as an average point is disingenuous. If I get 50% on my exam, that means I know half of the material, which is bad because it means I barely learned anything. If I am a 5, that means that in the eyes of whomever is rating me, I am neither ugly nor attractive compared to all the people the rater has seen.

Honestly I think you're still in your early 20s phase surrounded by other young people so you're constantly overestimating the attractiveness of the average person and take actors attractiveness for granted.

Acting is easy. Pulling box office is hard.

>Or is a lot of their appeal in their fame, their wealth and their access to tailored clothing and professional cosmetics? Take all that away, and maybe keep their fitness regimes, and you're left with slightly above average people in appearance.
>you're left with slightly above average people in appearance.
>slightly above average
Honestly, here's my main contradiction. This is all opinion based. And I seem to be the only one defending this opinion. Therefore the majority opinion is against me, and therefore I'm wrong about how the scale works.

In my world, which I was fairly sure was the same world most people on Sup Forums live in, not many actors are miles ahead of the people I see in my everyday life grocery shopping, at parties, at uni... but maybe I just have high standards.

>how when I say I give a movie a 7/10, it's not memorable, but it was okay.

literally imdb retardness

> from 1-10 7 is the average

Is there even a limit to your stupidity?

>In my world, which I was fairly sure was the same world most people on Sup Forums live in, not many actors are miles ahead of the people I see in my everyday life grocery shopping, at parties, at uni...

Yes, I agree with this. Most actors are within the 6-8 range. 5 is the average, so 9-10 should be insanely attractive, 10 is literally the most attractive person in the world. People just like to give higher ratings to emphasize their fondness or lust for someone.

rappers are usually naturally pretty charismatic since rapping is technically kind of like acting, you have to use your voice a lot and "act" emotions etc

you mean everyone on Sup Forums can be a good actor?

shocking!