Name one scene in TFA or Rogue One that's better than this

Name one scene in TFA or Rogue One that's better than this.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY
youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik
youtube.com/watch?v=v_YozYt8l-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There isn't.

fpbp

The vader hallway scene was pretty good. First time we get to see how shit normals do against a sith

CANT

ONLY SHILS & KUKS SEEN NEW SW SHIT

it's fucking broomhandles

Name a better scene than one of the best scenes in history? Yeah, good luck

>implying i saw Rogue One after how shit TFA was

why green

why not blue

But they didn't do any cartoonish flips and jumps in that scene.

FPBP

At the time it was symbolic of how Luke wasn't really a true jedi and he was just doing his duty stopping the empire

To be fair, TFA is just the first part so it has to build up to something like this and Rogue One was a stand alone story.

>Name one scene thats better than literally the peak scene that the previous films in the trilogy have been building up to

Rey vs Kylo in TFA has far better choreography.

This, I fucking hate the new Star Wars movies but comparing any scene in them to this is just unfair.

blue didn't show up well in the early desert scenes

/tip

>stand alone story

*cashgrab

fix that for ya

Baitiest bait I've seen in some time

This. Vader vs Luke was the pinnacle of the franchise
>perfect mix of tension, strategy and action
>great physical acting by Hamill
>one of the most memorable twists in cinema history
Disneywars will never surpass this scene.

Because the lightsaber was introduced on Tatooine, with its clear blue skies, and it was decided that a green lightsaber would contrast better against the background during the Jabba Barge scenes.

It also helped symbolize a change in Luke's character. New color signified that he wasn't the same kid he was in the previous movie.

When Yoda pulls out his little lasersword and goes to town

or this

youtube.com/watch?v=C-DeI3ohVbY

Oh wait I thought OP pic was TESB.
Nah ROTJ's scene was good but not as good

I see, thanks

what does that make the prequels

just pure shit

This. It was mediation between the ludicrous yet exhilarating bouncefest that was PT dueling and the slower-paced and emotionally-charged yet unconvincing dueling that was the OT. The reactionary shitposters on Sup Forums won't readily admit this yet though. I'd like to see them try to articulate what makes the choreography worse than any previous duel in the series.

I'm somewhat sure, everybody is trolling about liking any other StarWars movies, except for the OT.
TFW Star Wars will never be Great Again; youtube.com/watch?v=HMUKGTkiWik

There really isn't.

That being said, pretty much any Kylo Ren scene in TFA is god-tier. Definitely the best part of that movie.

First Past the Best Post

You

FIRST POST BEST POST
I
R
S
T

P
O
S
T

B
E
S
T

P
O
S
T

I would like to think that too, but sadly not. Fuck, imagine JJ directing that exact same scene, with snap zooms and dutch tilts and everything. Nothing close to this magical scene, not just in TFA but most movies these days.

I got a better question.
Why Star Wars franchise cant move forward? Hell even video games showed us that it has potential for new amazing stories that don't have to rely on Vader appearances to get some sucess, but for some reason we get more prequels of prequels and one shitty continuation that still has to stick muh Vader into it.

>Picks one of best scenes, if not the best scene for comparison
>hurr durr R1 and TFA are shit

The rather critical difference is that the fight in TFA has no reason to exist. Why are they even fighting?

Your video is pretty hard to top. How about this: all of the ewok scenes in RotJ are far better than the rathtar/Maz Kanata sequences in TFA

showing vader nets like a billion more dollars dude

He never said they were shit he just said to name a better scene from those movies

It had good choreography, but the fight was ruined by the fact that
1) the characters were shit and I had no emotional connection to them.
2) Rey (and even Finn) are able to go toe-to-toe with a fucking Dark Jedi or Sith or whatever that's fully trained in the force. This is just ridiculously stupid.

There isn't any.

>that John Williams score
>the tenor choir
>the emotional intensity
>the kino cinematography

Sheev did literally nothing wrong. The Republic was a bloated and ineffective piece of shit, and Sheev was right to restructure it as an empire

Hell, Sheev even downsized the central government and gave direct control of systems to the regional governors. He was a major advocate for states' rights and was far more toward the libertarian side of the spectrum than those corrupt globalist Galactic Republic shitters

>b-but the Galactic Empire was evil!

They only ever attacked those who rebelled against the government. Alderaan rebelled. Blowing up that planet was literally no different than nuking Japan.

The Imperials always did things by the book, as they respected the rule of law. It's subtle, but you'll note that Vader never just went around killing and oppressing people for no reason. For example, let's take a look at Lando and Bespin in ESB. Note that Vader points out how Lando's operation is illegal, and that he's actually being merciful.

Instead, look at the precedent set by the Galactic Republic. The republic was so poorly structured that they didn't even have a goddamn standing army, and when they needed one, they had to use brainwashed slave clones. That's right, senpai. The "benevolent democratic republic" used SLAVE LABOR to fight its wars for it.

On the other hand, people actually voluntarily enlisted with the Empire's military. Hell, even Luke wanted to enroll in the Imperial Academy, along with all his friends. So apparently the Empire really isn't that bad when you're just a regular galactic citizen. It's only "bad" according to the propaganda give to people by the Jedi and by the Rebels. And there are clear conflicts of interest. The Jedi are just butthurt that the Sith won in their little religious power struggle. The rebellion is headed by a bunch of butthurt globalist senators who are mad that their power was diminished when power was given to regional governors instead. They're just mad that the PEOPLE chose Sheev over them.

not true.

Also in RotJ there is at least one character who can actually use a sword and not flail it around

you're saying the prequels are bad?? what a controversial opinion

You realize that original star wars trilogy was literally republican propaganda and empire was meant to be nazi germany with no redeeming features right? Just look up on political climate around when new hope was released.

>Rey (and even Finn) are able to go toe-to-toe with a fucking Dark Jedi or Sith or whatever that's fully trained in the force. This is just ridiculously stupid.

this, kylo should have never had any resemblance of a fight with Finn, just force choke him or something, even a melee stormtrooper defeated finn easier than kylo did.

The Vader scene in R1 shows what happens when a force users fight regular soldiers.

>there is people who unironically believe the fights in the prequels are better than this

heh

>I'd like to see them try to articulate what makes the choreography worse than any previous duel in the series
>You
This is why Sup Forums is such a great board!

>Rey (and even Finn) are able to go toe-to-toe with a fucking Dark Jedi or Sith or whatever that's fully trained in the force. This is just ridiculously stupid.
He was severely injured and so obviously toying with the both of them up until Rey awakens her force powers and then he gets taken aback.

Rey still didn't actually defeat him tho.

>The Empire are supposed to be Nazi Germany

When will this meme fucking die.

Exactly. Finn should've been immediately BTFO (this is the same guy that couldn't win against a stormtrooper with a cattle prod). And Rey vs Kylo should've been equivalent to Vader vs Luke in ESB, where Vader is essentially just toying with Luke and Luke is just trying his best to survive. And no amount of "w-well Kylo was injured so he was handicapped!" bullshit will excuse this. He sure as shit didn't limp or wince or fight like someone who just got handicapped.

And Kylo is the same guy that we saw could freeze laser beams in mid-air and hold people in some sort of force paralysis. Yet he apparently wasn't able to do any of this stuff.

see
That excuse is paper-thin and you know it. And as for "he wasn't actually defeated" that was only because of a convenient deus ex machina where the ground just so happens to split and separate them. I guess we Land Before Time now.

>He was severely injured

Any respectable dark side user would become stronger by being injured

you sound super smart

Black people are strong. Deal with it boy, you don't poke the bear

Was Vader going easy on him?

Did the prequels make the OT objectively worse?

I mean in the prequels Anakin is an annoying, child murdering, loudmouth, poorly acted character, and I feel like that negates from Darth Vaders arc that occurs in the original trilogy.

Think about it, if you watched these films in a vacuum in chronological order, you would probably think Vaders redemption arc is retarded, the guy is a cunt.

I'm aware, and it was poorly written. You're just told they're evil and that's that. But looking at things objectively and looking at WHO is saying bad things about the empire, you might realize that perhaps you've just been fed bullshit.

Well they were. Vader's helmet looks like a Stalhelm. Officers were greyshirts instead of brownshirts. The shock troopers were called Stormtroopers. It's pretty blatant.

But that's as far as the analogy goes. They just used pseudo-nazi imagery as a shorthand way to say "THESE GUYS = BAD" because Nazis are just your standard go-to when it comes to painting the bad guys as villains. Pretty standard stuff.

Of course, back in the 70s and 80s, there wasn't this whole "WHITE MEN ARE ALL EVIL NAZIS RESPONSIBLE FOR MUH SIXTY GORILLION" narrative like there is today. It was just a standard shorthand for badguy.

>>Luke join me
>>Luke I'm your father join me pls

Yes I'm sure Vader was using all his power and might to kill Luke as quickly as possible

its not a meme idiot

Yes, he wanted Luke to join him and BTFO Sheev's lying ass

Name a word in an unspeakable language, although i must say rogue one was better than TFA by a mile.

They did.

Perhaps as damage control you can contrive an argument which makes it seem like the prequels served the original trilogy for the better. Like Darth Vader became much more stoic and reserved because he realized his angst led to his demise as Anakin Skywalker. But it's still stupid as fuck.

I can't believe Lucas made him straight up murder children and shit

/thread

But to be perfectly fair, that specific scene is nothing without John Williams' score. The build up between Luke and Vader is almost nonexistent. Their relationship is never explored enough, and neither are Luke's personal feelings.

Star Wars is probably the only instance I can think of where an entire Score is too good for the film it's used in, almost to a fault, which is so weird to say because the Star Wars films are really damn good.

Take the scene in Empire Strikes Back, you know the infamous scene where Vader reveals himself to Luke, and he in turn responds with a cry worthy of Ewan McGregor's reaction to Anakin's fall on the slope of Mustafar. It's a powerful scene, brilliant in execution and acting...

but it has no actual basis for occurring. Luke never knew his father, nor did he seem to care. He viewed the only father figure he had as a burden later in life, and mourned him when he finally lost him.

Why did Luke care that Vader was his father?

That is true, but the characters are already set up for failure.

The only character who might be worth exploring is Kylo Ren. Unless he becomes the Sequel Saga's Luke, and the baggage (FN2187, Rey, Poe) are written off and the actual plot established, then there will be no point.

By the end of "Star Wars", we wanted Luke to succeed in the trench run. We applauded when Solo returned and aided in the attack. We felt the immense tension in the Rebel base with Leia, and the power exerting from the scenes in the Death Star with Tarkin.

By the end of TFA, there's nothing, for me anyway. I didn't care that Solo died, I didn't care who won in the Finn vs. Kylo vs. Rey fight, I didn't care if General Hux escaped Starkiller Base, I didn't care about the star system Starkiller Base destroyed.

TFA has fine character archetypes, but no real emotion to pull on and make them into great characters. The outcome is predictable, but also irrelevant.

Vader's redemption arc is already retarded.

As I noted hereThe relationship between Vader and Luke is nonexistent. Their interactions are nonsensical. The emotion between characters is pulled by a mixture of audience projection and the score. The script makes no attempt at coherency.

Why did Luke beat him? Did he just get tired and had to hang on from the rail?

I felt the same way. Everything fell totally flat. I wasn't emotionally connected to any of those characters.

And the characters are the most important part of star wars. A star wars movie with ships and lasers and explosions, but dull pointless characters, is no different than any of those italian ripoff movies that came out in the late 70s and early 80s. They ape the form of star wars, but miss the point.

It's possible for the sequels to turn things around, but they're starting from a position of weakness. They need to make up for the weakness of the characters in the first movie, whereas when they made ESB, they were already starting off with characters that everyone loved.

>Did the prequels make the OT objectively worse?
Yes, but not as much as TFA did.

Vader was turning to the light by Luke, and Luke was turning to the dark side.

You could come up with any numbers of points and counterpoints, but I like to think he was meant to die and probably knew it.

Luke is Vader's successor, and Vader knew it. You could almost say it was destiny

Because he probably pictured his father as a great righteous jedi and held this image as a goal of who he wanted to be

Of course this is never really said, but it's probably what the movie counts on the viewer assuming

Yup. The PT just cheapened the backstory of Anakin and Obi Wan, but didn't totally outright ruin the OT. But TFA completely unwrote all the character development and events that the main characters worked to achieve during the OT.

The only scene better than this is the first battle in ESB
IMO
ESB>ROTJ ending>ANH>rest of ROTJ = TFA

I can mostly agree, but to be honest I dont know how much more they could of done, film is such a hard place to convey characters inner emotion, I feel like almost all movies are extremely shallow when you really get down to it.

Best Star Wars scenes across all films:

1. Death Star attack - ANH
2. Vader V Luke - ROJ
3. Vader V Luke / I am your father - ESB
4. Battle of Hoth - ESB
5. Han being frozen / "I know" - ESB

But that's the best scene in whole Star Wars m8.

I didn't mind TFA outside of it copying ANH, and I give Rogue 1 a solid B+.

That being said, NOTHING in either movie comes close to that final emotional Luke vs Vader scene. It's one of my favorite moments in films of all time.

Especially the part where Vader essentially tells Luke "Imma Darkside yo sistah".

Good fucking Post
Don't 100% agree but totally respect

>muh Luke doesn't have a Jedi academy
>muh Leia isn't a Jedi

>and when they needed one, they had to use brainwashed slave clones. That's right, senpai. The "benevolent democratic republic" used SLAVE LABOR to fight its wars for it.

Not just that, but guess what? They were BLACK SLAVES. All of them. The Empire, on the other hand, used paid laborers and didn't discriminate based on race. Just look at the arab pilot in RO and Finn in TFA.

>a scene from a singular film doesn't compare to a scene that had three films worth of emotional build up

Shocking.

Possibly that + the emotional conflict going on inside as he realizes that a son will kill his father (or vice versa), as the Emperor just shits himself with excitement as all is going according to keikaku.

they were Polynesian, not black.

(you)

I'm not talking about the EU shit, famalam. I'm talking about things like why did we need to see Leia and Han estranged and divorced with an evil manchild for a son? We left off with ROTJ on a happy note where the heroes won and their character arcs were complete. There was literally no reason to go into all this shit when the story was all tied up.

>brainwashed slave clones.
Common misconception. The clones weren't brainwashed, just trained to be loyal. They aren't all the exact same person, just a group of individuals that look exactly the same but each has their own separate thoughts and beliefs.
>They only ever attacked those who rebelled against the government.
They killed the Geonosians just for the sake of it.

Throw in the singing number from the beginning of ROTJ and I agree

>film is such a hard place to convey characters inner emotion

That would be because film is at its basic a visual medium, and Lucas and the Star Wars franchise is pretty much the epitome of that.

And it was fine in '77 because they got the visuals and dialogue so right. I love Empire, I love Return of the Jedi, but every time I rewatch A New Hope I always wonder why they even made two sequels.

The visuals weren't really going to change, and they clearly didn't do much to go the extra mile in refining the script and characters, so there the franchise will sit...

The best of all basic films ever created. Nothing particularly wrong with that, but you can't blame people for wanting more from the iterations that came later and attempted nothing.

>They killed the Geonosians just for the sake of it.
Where in any of the movies is this established?

>The clones weren't brainwashed, just trained to be loyal
Sounds like PC talk to me. We saw the soldiers fight and die for and become good friends with the jedi that lead them in battle. You're telling me that they all just heard "execute order 66" and decided on their own free will "well, I guess it's time to take out Yoda and Obi Wan and the rest." Bullshit, they went through psychological indoctrination.

And regardless of any of that, they were STILL slave soldiers.

>You were my brother, Anakin
>Not even in the top 5

youtube.com/watch?v=v_YozYt8l-g

Vader was a man who had his limbs cut off and most of his body burned in the 3rd degree. Vader was more "injured" than Kylo was.

You're right it's not

The Sup Forums dub was better

>He was severely injured

This is the real problem. Why would Chewbacca shoot Kylo?

I like the Sarlac Pit scene from ROTJ as well, it's amazing to see how Luke's skills as a Jedi have grown since the other movies.

fag

>better choreography

>Where in any of the movies is this established?
Oh it's one of those arguments. Two can play at this game.
>Bullshit, they went through psychological indoctrination
This isn't established in the movie. For all we know they have computer brains.