Jerry Garcia

Well, rap is not music for one thing. I mean, it isn't music, you know, it's talking. That's what is says "rap." "Rap" means "talking." It's not music, it's talking in meter, it's got rhyme, and it's got...it has meter, it has rhythm. It's not music. It's...you know, it's okay. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, I have no problem with it. It just isn't music, you know. And people who get to be great at rap are not great musicians, they're just great at rap, you know. There's no road from rapping into music, you know what I mean? And, music is something you can get better and better and better at. I don't know if you can do that with rap. I don't know if whether it has that kind of space in it or that it leads into infinite possibilities. Music does.

>Implying Jerry Garcia's idea of what music is was ever accepted by non-deadheads

Good ol captain trips

lmao "music is something you can get better and better and better at. I don't know if you can do that with rap". I believe he's telling the truth he honestly doesn't know enough about rap to know if you can get better at it.

DRIVIN' THAT TRAIN

>And, music is something you can get better and better and better at. I don't know if you can do that with rap.
You can though. I mostly agree with everything else.

Imagine if Jerry hadn't died and had grown to understand rap and appreciate it as a musical element.
>He starts incorporating rap parts into classic dead songs
>Rap becomes one of his favorite improvisational tools
>"freestyling is just like a more semantically dense form of Jamming, man, it's really groovy"

fucking hippie

Most overrated guitarist ever. People only put him on top guitarist lists because they pity him for missing a finger.

This is an 18 an over website

He's right. Anyone can rap.

So leave

Said the man who did nothing but wank on his guitar for his whole career

I'm grateful he's dead

Fun fact: Fire On The Mountain was originally a RAP song and Jerry PLAYED on it!

edgy

But what does it mean to get better and better at something that inherently sucks?

He started as a banjo-player, genius.

The Grateful Dead suck but somehow they managed to release a 9/10 live album

Are there any other instances of this happening in music?

they have a lot of shit, but also a lot of good music

HIGH ON COCAINE

wtf i never knew he had half a finger? ive been into the Dead for a while too. huh

Well that's weird. It's pretty iconic. You might notice stickers shaped like a hand with a missing finger on cars covered with other deadhead stuff. He lost that finger in a childhood wood choppin' accident.

Grateful Dead were pretty fucking shit desu

Guess you had to be on 8 tabs to get it

Nah, you just need the musical theory equivalent to 38D mystical spirit chess.

Anyone can play guitar. What's your point?

What shitty nonsensical rambling. He can't critique something he doesn't understand.

John Mayer loves rap and now he’s taken his place in Dead&co. Makes me think.

Yeah makes me think John Mayer is a fucktard

same