We post movies that everyone likes ITT

We post movies that everyone likes ITT

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/96CaWH5St7I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So far so good.

No Country For Old Friendos

Are the Coen brothers the best directors of the past 30 years?

WE THOUGHT YOU WAS A TOAD

I can't take anyone's opinion if they don't like Apocalypse Now

I'm liking it less the more I watch it, and I've watched it a lot.

Some of the best. I'll see any of their movies opening night, which puts them high up on the list.

It's such a cheesy and pretentious movie but its sheer scale and the chaos of its production work perfectly with its source material. Coppola's not even a particularly great director but he accidentally made this great movie.

nope.

Haven't seen O Brother, am I missing anything?

I don't think it is cheesy at all. I think that comes from there being a million references and parodies of the movie so that it retroactively feels silly.

If you know the story of the Odyssey, you're not missing anything in the story department. The music, the setting, and the characters make this worth watching. The story does feel really fresh despite not being wholly original.

Thanks. For some reason I had a completely wrong idea about it being some Oscar bait sob story about slavery and never looked into it at all.

Every time the movie is doing something inorganic and dictated by the script rather than sudden inspiration or happenstance it comes across goofy. (The whole ending for example, they came up with as they shot)

>Shit... charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500. I took the mission. What the hell else was I gonna do?
All of willard's monologues like this sound hamfisted and contradictory. It's as if Coppola and co. didn't really understand Heart of Darkness nor their adaptation of it, but the spirit of work flowed through the picture anyways. Look at Kurtz, too. Notice how the dialogue always seems to dance around the film's supposed major themes. These guys didn't know what the hell they were doing. They made a film about morality and war and imperialism and Coppola seems to think it's about recreating Vietnam. Kurtz reading T.S. Eliot is absolutely cringeworthy, but then you get the chaotic scenes like the first beach cleared by aircav or the beautiful river in heat, with swirling psychedelic smoke and sweaty, drunk, overacting that feels somehow perfect.

youtu.be/96CaWH5St7I

It's a Coen brothers comedy about a bunch of brothers who break out of a chain gang and go across a picaresque Ameircan version of the Odyssey. In a way it's about the myth of old American and its long line of anti-heroes. It's a whole lot of fun and anything but Oscar bait.

Glad to hear I was wrong. Gonna queue it up for the weekend.

I suppose. Everything in the movie works for me though. I'm only vaguely familiar with the source material so I think the movie stands really well on it's own. Eventually I'll get around to reading the Heart of Darkness. In any case, even if it was mostly intentional or just a happy accident, it fits in my top 10 movie list.

I think I've become a bit jaded with time, Apocalypse Now has been a favorite of mine since my early teens and I've seen it more than probably any other movie. Only more recently have I started to notice how dumb some of the dialogue is, and admittedly that comes with any kind of overanalyzation. I'm only critical of the movie because I love it.

I highly reccomend the making of documentary, too if you haven't already seen it. The madness of the content is mirrored directly in its production.

they aren't brothers

Girl in high school asked me to show her O Brother on a long bus ride. Had to explain everything.
>Why are the cops showing up?
>The cousin ratted him out.
>Wait, when did this guy get here?
>They literally just picked him up on the side of the road.
>But what was he doing there?
>He sold his soul to the Devil to play guitar. Know what? We're watching that scene again because it's one of my favorite character introductions and apparently you're not paying attention.
That's as far as we got. She's usually patient even if she doesn't like a movie, but this was something else.

Pic related is used to single out liars and edgelords in the USA. Wish they still used the cover art my VHS copy had.

Can we agree that Mia was the real villain in the movie?

DO. NOT. SEEK. THE. TREASURE

We can all agree John Goodman was amazing as the cyclops

movie sucks, "Muh shuckamuck goood ole 'merican time shuckamuck."

yeah, no.

I don't like this movie

C o e n B r o t h e r s

Sadly no one cares about this epic anymore

Yeah, you're way off the mark. There is a brief subplot featuring the KKK, but it couldn't be further from heavy-handed Oscar bait. It's a lighthearted, fun movie

The Coen movies in this thread are good nominees. I also propose:

Amadeus
Silence of the Lambs
LA Confidential

Is Doctor Zhivago the superior Leankino? Or is it pointless to compare them when they're both so fucking good? I don't hear it mentioned nearly as often as Lawrence, though

If you don't agree with this, it's because you're a pleb and you should just kill yourself.

I've actually never even seen this one. It's been referenced and parodied so many times I feel like I know what it's all about, but I've never sat down to watch it

Damn didn't even catch that

Good movie. But you dont understand whats this thread about.

great movie

I don't get it. Are you implying everyone likes The Wizard of Oz or everyone hates it and pretends to like it?

Because I'll hook ya rite in da gabba if you are implying it isn't a great movie.

Reminder that the dog is probably ded by now ;_;

LOTR trilogy.

I'm saying everyone loves it. On the rare occasion that someone says they don't like it in a group, everyone usually gangs up on them. This as opposed to something like Pulp Fiction where one or two people will defend the contrarian (or in one weird case I had everyone present actually agrees it isn't that good).

Yeah, most malick haters actually agree badlands is good

this shit sucks
>we're in a tight spot xD
repeating something over and over does not make it funny
>actors had no chemistry
>singing and dancing were weak
>banal, lazy script
no thanks

There are fans of the books who didn't like what Jackson did, changing things.

Just saw La La Land. I'm not blown away by it, and I'd agree that the script and the music weren't spectacular, but you are insane for thinking Stone/Gosling don't have chemistry

Hey bro, I'm thinking of taking my GF to watch it together, yay or nay?

Really? The peak of their relationship was just a montage of them walking and laughing together in random places. They only had chemistry in their witty banter, and that was before they were really supposed to be in love with each other.

It'll make her afraid of the consequences of ever leaving you, so yes

Hey "bro," fuck off. This board is for permavirgins only.

Thanks bro, also 2 dubs in a row
>checkt

lmao you sound salty bro,
Literally a girl I started hanging out with because of the movie taste I based on Sup Forums's taste. Anyone who spends more than 6 hours/day on this board should already have the knowledge to talk about movies endlessly with a female. That's what I do. Thanks to all you bros, I got a gf, i'm eternally in your debt

Being born in Jackson Mississippi, this movie perfectly captures the outlook on life the different caricatures of Mississippian have. I grew up knowing many Pappy O'Daniels, Petes, Ulysses Everette McGills, Etc. makes me remember much simpler, loving times of adventure and care for your friends.