Holy fuck balls this was boring. I liked the ending but damn, why was there so much praise for this?

Holy fuck balls this was boring. I liked the ending but damn, why was there so much praise for this?

The characters were forgettable and the tone never stayed consistent. Not to mention really slow.

What did Sup Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bUofALXFaBA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

was Diego Luna any good?

Although most of the characters were forgettable I couldn't really blame this guy from the material they gave him to work with. The tried to make him angry but caring, I guess? But the only thing I really got from him was "I have an accent and I'm in charge"

I agree, first two-thirds were shit, last third was entertaining. Overall poorly paced with a weak cast.

Hi Mike!

>why was there so much praise for this?

Probably because it was leaps and bounds better than The Force Awakens

The more I see felicity jones the more I want to fuck her.

>boring

i dont get this. it has more "star wars" than any of the previous movies.
>espionage
>urban guerilla warfare
>reconnaissance
>sabatoge
>and like the third best space battle in the whole franchise

youtube.com/watch?v=bUofALXFaBA

You're just gay I guess. Also you're a star wars "fan".

It made the Star Wars universe feel big.

The rebels rebels didn't come off as wankers twiddling their thumbs waiting around for Luke to come save the day.

The empire looked like an actual empire ruling over people rather than chill in their space triangles all day.

>Slowest scenes of the entire franchise
>Predictable outcomes
>Characters who aren't worth piss
>Piss poor acting
I will give the movie credit for the space battles and ending though

Apparently a slow burn is "boring" these days. And I find it weird how everyone says the characters were forgettable. I found them all to be way more complex than the joke-machines of Force Awakens.

>Slowest scenes of the entire franchise
Bullshit.
>predictable outcomes
Probably the outcome was alread known you fucking retard?
>characters who aren't worth piss
The toe of Jyn is more interesting than your whole life
>Piss poor casting
An excellent casting

Only edgelords dislike the movie. There is literally no reason to think that it was bad. >muh Disney made it, so its bad

I LIKED IT AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT

>The characters were forgettable

Why do people keep saying this? This story was shoehorned into the canon, none of the characters are mentioned in the future episodes so they knew they would have to kill them all off. I don't think they had much to gain by building up a load of new characters with a lot of depth just to kill them off and upsetting the fans in the process.

how about you actually put some substance into your counter arguments instead of just name calling like a little shit

Movie does start out slow and a good chunk of the characters you won't really care for like the heavy weapons guy.
However, I think when the movie picks up the movie stays at that pace fore the remainder of the movie.

Personally I liked Jyn, K-2SO, and Chirrut.
It was a pretty cool story that leads directly into A New Hope.

They weren't forgettable but I did think Jyn and Diego Luna's character were incredibly humourless and understated. It's difficult to think of specific attributes of their characters; they were just blandly noble. For me, the rest of the Rogue One group were far more interesting than they were (and I want a goddamn Donnie Yen spinoff).

I did enjoy that not all of the Rebels were outright good. There were interesting shades of grey there.

i too watched the reddit letter media video!

would this film have been better without the reshoots?

Sheldon Cooper robot ruined the film.

Because it was the best one since ROTJ. A sign of hope if you will.

The characters have sucked in the prequels and the TFA.

I agree, but I think RotS was just about on par with R1.

>The characters have sucked
YOU HAVE DONE THAT YOURSELF

It was pretty meh but the girl dying at the end saved it.

Honestly I wish her death had been more agonized rather than some boring old nuke shit. I would've liked to see some blood, but of course this is Star Wars so blood doesn't exist except for the start of Force Awakens... then NOWHERE ELSE. But yeah it would've been nice for her to have died alone and wounded and crying, and shitting herself as her body shuts down, like people actually die, but that would've been too dark or something I guess.

The chink and mongol had the best death scenes. The arab imperial pilot's death was confusing as fuck but also fairly decent. The robot was the most based and was easily the best character, followed by blind chink, followed by mongol, followed by vader, followed by the chick, followed by most of the random rebels, followed by admiral snackbar's brother, followed by the spic.

Overall 7/10.

>Calling other people edgy with such an edgy response
It's been over 2 weeks now I'd hope all the star wars babies would be gone by now

BUT MUUUH CHARACTURS
MUH EMOTIONAL SCENES
MUH FEEEELS

IT BROKE NEW GROUND

>boring movie is boring
>y-you stupid RLM redditor!

>why was there so much praise for this?

Literally all just for the third act. No one praises the rest of it. I can bet the only characters you cared about on the Rebel side were Raddus and Mon Mothma.

>>espionage
>>urban guerilla warfare
>>reconnaissance
>>sabatoge
how is any of this "star wars"?

thanks for proving me right

>The toe of Jyn is more interesting than your whole life
Take your foot festish shit outta this board
>An excellent casting
Jyn seemed careless untill her big speech and Forest Whitaker was awful. Captain Mexican and The pilot had shitty scripts to work with so I can't really blame them.
>Only edgelords dislike the movie.
Only an edgelord would say something like this

reddit

>boring
Many great films are "boring"

Holy fuck balls this was kino. I especially liked how they didn't dumb down the ending to fit the cookie cutter happy ending normies were expecting.

Also those CGI faces were noticeable but a lot better than I expected. I've never seen better CGI face replacements.

>Rebel side were Raddus and Mon Mothma.

I mean, I liked K2 and CoD Asian I guess. But yeah, Discount Ackbar kept me awake too.

this isn't "boring", it's actually boring

>Characters very shallow and two dimensional

>Story arc poorly paced and show horned uncomfortably into the broader sw narrative

>acting and cast selection left much to be desired

>vander costume design looked silly

>CGI on Leah terrible

>yfw rogue 1 fan

Reshoots?

Oh yeah, funnybot was good, mainly because of his neural quip matrix.

that's a TFA fan

I thought the trailers made it look like it was gonna be really shit. I was bracing myself for prequel-level wonky dialogue ("I REBEL", etc.) and a total Death Star focus, but it ended up being pretty good in my opinion.

The only thing that annoyed the hell out of me was the blind non-Jedi Jedi taking out stormtroopers with a stick, but I guess if Ewoks can beat them with sticks and stones then whatever.

I think you mean >boring.

If Godfather came out today, you fuckers would be calling it slow and boring. Same with ESB's pacing in the middle of the film.

This.

What also annoyed me was the absurd scaling. That shuttle passing by the planetary rings in the beginning made the planet look as big as a large island, not a planet. The same problem was seen again when you could see shuttles near the surface of another planet from an orbital shot. How could anyone look at those shots in development and think "this is okay".

>Jyn was careless
What do you mean? That she didn't have much motivation for the mission she never agreed upon and didn't want to do, or that bune was a careless actress?

The Godfather is boring. I tried to watch it but ended up browsing Sup Forums on my phone the whole time. I still have no idea why they killed Sonny.

Her non-committing stance and then sudden 180 and corny speech are the worst parts about the film.

She reminded me a bit of Bella from Twilight near near the middle. I know that's a bit harsh and she did develop somewhat down the line but I felt a lack of emotion from her. Even when losing her father

>none of the orignal trailer except for the scene with vader in the bacta tank was in the final movie

Because you're not a fun person and nobody likes you, OP.

>weak cast
>purposefully shoved in badass induhpendant female lead
>purposefully didn't cast white people because 'so progressive'
>Empire are now white supremacists, despited Episode VII showing you a black stormtrooper 5 minutes into the film.

Suck a dick and die, Disneyjews.

>bacta tank
I didn't make that connection until now.

>Jyn and Diego Luna's character were incredibly humourless
And?

Anyway, those two were, I think, some of the freshest characters we've had in Star Wars yet. When the movie opens, Jyn is this abandoned, beaten person. She's only got her mind on survival, covering her basic needs. She's lost, or been abandoned by everyone she's been close with and so now she's abandoning the rest of the galaxy. She's got that line when Saw asks her about the Imperial flag waving above every world: "It's not a problem if you don't look up." She has no high-minded ideals. And then she sees the message from Galen, this man who she even says she'd prefer if he was dead. And I totally get this sentiment. My father walked out on my family when I was around the same age as young Jyn in the flashback. But here he is, having given everything of himself, his hope to find her, his own good name, and even his own moral code, to create this planet-killer, BUT with a weakness. This act ultimately sealed his fate when he's killed by the Rebellion. And then they turn around and say, "Nah. We're not going to look into this. We'll just surrender" So of course she wants to go forward with finding the plans to figure out how to enact his achilles heel. It's to make her father, who she has learned never truly gave up on her, though she'd given up on him, not have died in vain.

I hate to admit this, but when I was a kid, I liked Episode 1 the most and thought ESB was boring. I mean, I was 10 years old when Ep1 came out, so you have to cut me some slack.

It's funny how tastes mature. When you're a kid and you're watching star wars, you don't give a shit about plot or characters or any of that. You just want to see lots of laser swords and cool explosions and vehicles and fighting and that bullshit.

That was fucking terrible.

Were youtube poops funny at some point or was I just a child

As far as I can explain, after learning that her father was alive and she could get the rebellion to rescue him, she tried to convince the rebellion to rescue him for her.

Most characters were poorly developed and uninteresting to begin with. The story was poorly paced, though it had it's moments. Effects were ok, specially the final space battle. The humor was bellow "meh", almost like they tried to be boring.
I think the biggest flaw of R1 is how the characters don't seem to connect quite well with the story. I'm still waiting to see Jyn use her smuggler abilities, or the blind guy to be anything else besides annoying or unlikable. It's like they come from a lot of different backgrounds and have a different set of abilities but they end up doing the same shit. I mean the team could perfectly be AndorĀ“+Jyn and a bunch of rebels and it would end up working.
2/10, it had good visual effects.

Remember everyone shouting about how it was gonna be Snoke in the tank and the Emperor coming to visit him? Ha, nah.

Honestly I'm glad it wasn't like the trailers, other than losing a couple of cool shots like Krennic striding across the battlefield and Jyn vs. TIE fighter.

>Honestly I wish her death had been more agonized rather than some boring old nuke shit. I would've liked to see some blood, but of course this is Star Wars so blood doesn't exist except for the start of Force Awakens... then NOWHERE ELSE. But yeah it would've been nice for her to have died alone and wounded and crying, and shitting herself as her body shuts down, like people actually die, but that would've been too dark or something I guess.

What?

>I hate to admit this, but when I was a kid, I liked Episode 1 the most and thought ESB was boring.
Why would you hate to admit this? The majority of people who grew up with the prequels prefer them to the OT. It's just natural to like something you saw first. Who the fuck cares if you liked Jar Jar?

God the internet ruined personal thinking.

>When you're a kid and you're watching star wars, you don't give a shit
It was designed for children and teens. But we both know there are much better franchises and movies out there. Star Wars isn't bad but it's not exactly thought provoking or engaging. The story is shallow but the visuals have always been fantastic.

>Tarkin asking Krennic if he feels in charge

Was this kino pottery?

And then there's Cassian. A bit simpler, but still something deeper than we've gotten before.
He's a man who has given his all to the Rebellion. He's done terrible things for "the greater good", which is so plainly, and wonderfully, shown when he murders his informant and ally in his introductory scene. Then throughout he's been told, once again, "Hey, who cares what's right or wrong. Kill this Erso guy because he's an Imperial." And he's going to do it, no gripes whatsoever. But then his conscience finally gets the better of him. He doesn't pull the trigger. But there was still the temptation. And here's where you can see his whole core begin to break. He's always just done what he "needed" to for the Rebellion. But maybe there is a better way. And then he, along with the other rebel black ops folk, decide to try and do right, much like the pilot was trying to do, and give all of themselves to stopping a truly terrible weapon, even at the costs of their own lives, even against orders.

I think it may be pretending to be a sadistic misogynist. Or maybe he is one and simply lacks self awareness. Poe's Law and all that.

I enjoyed it, really nice to see old white Tarkin bossing it again but the blind chink samuri was a bit of a turn off and that shit he kept repeating, just felt out of place a bit

also no reference whatsoever to the Geonosians who were building it as of episode 2?

Why does he wear the CGI face?

Hated how much they underutilized Forrest Whitaker.

He's supposed to be some battle-worn guerilla who's been in the shit for so long he sees spies everywhere and he might be slightly insane. He's "more machine than man" and has this cobbled-together breathing apparatus that makes a spooky Darth Vader parallel. He's even suspicious of Jyn and thinks she might have been sent to assassinate him. He's like Space Colonel Kurtz. I'm thinking this is gonna be great---and then all that is suddenly swept away and he's like "here's your dad's message, bye" Excuse me???

Oh and Jyn's kyber crystal necklace, except for stickman sensing it when he's introduced, nothing happens with it. Chekhov's gun, anyone?

Was Tarkin's voice off? His face seemed rather spot on but his voice seemed wrong. Do you think they would figure most of the audience wouldn't have the ear to tell the difference and thus didn't even try to edit the dialogue to sound more like him?

>The characters were forgettable
>characters
because there were no characters in this movie. everyone was just there to move the (very thin) plot along and deliver awful reddit meme speeches.

seriously the only good part of this clusterfuck was watching them die. cgi tarkin (dobby) and leia were disturbing as fuck. I'm now convinced carrie fisher was watching this garbage on the plane and went into cardiac arrest when she saw her cgi doppelganger.

the only good things were vader and the fact that some of the actors managed to act the shit out of their one note garbage roles, but ffs just cast jackie chan next time.

Return of Jedi is a terrible film, no wonder you like this shit as well.

I think it's great that you can even see the confusion about being underutilized on his face when he asks, "Have you been sent here to kill me?" and she just says no. You can see the realization cross his face that he's not all that important.

The thing about the crystal bugged me too. Also Chirrut's "ominous" foretelling line about "The strongest stars have hearts of kyber", which I assumed meant the death star(because it, you know, uses them crystals), but then nothing is made of that.

>his face seemed spot-on
lolwut? He very clearly looked fake. It was a pretty good immitation, but still within the uncanny valley. It didn't help they the director apparently insisted on doing close-ups and lingering shots of his CGI face, rather than far-away or obscured shots that didn't linger.

Hubris, I assume.

The voice sounded like a good impersonation to me. I have a pretty good ear for these sorts of things, but I'm also not a britbong, so perhaps britbongs are better able to pick it apart.

At least it was better then the all the chosen-one cheesyness, moralfagging, and nostalgia-jerking that was The Force Awakens. I mean there were elements of it, but it wasn't nearly as bad.

The the fact that Disney had the balls to go through with killing off all the main characters was what really made it for me. I think it made it a more realistic portrayal of war to show that there are no good options in war and doing the right (or less terrible) thing still has consequences even if you succeed.

I think the movie could've been better if it was told from the imperials' perspective, with Krennic being the main character. I actually someone liked that guy.

Enjoyment of Rogue One is a litmus test for autism.

it was off but close enough to the original that it didn't throw me off, im watching episode 4 again now for shits and giggles so looking forward to seeing how he compares

I think they handled it the best way they could have I think the majority of their audience are probably unaware the original actor is dead and might not even realise it was CGI (Im being very offensive about the average disneys star wars fan here maybe too much so)

It must have reallt choked disney to have to animate a white person for their film in a position of authority like that, im sure he would have been anything else if he wasnt part of the classic era

I also wish they had more banter with vader because the imperial officers speak to him like he is part of the chain of command in episode iv and not fear him like some cartoon villain like he was portrayed in Rogue One

Good posts, user.

>He very clearly looked fake
No shit. But it was the best fake I've ever seen. And it was well out of the uncanny valley. Simply being able to tell it is fake is not a defining part of the uncanny valley.

You gonna bitch about the fish people now?

>The voice sounded like a good impersonation to me.
I've got a good ear and it sounded just like you said, an impersonation. They put so much effort into the face but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't edit the voice at all, thinking most wouldn't have an ear for it.

If this wasnt a Star Wars movie would anyone give this movie praise?

No

It's a passable but forgettable movie that will only be remembered because it's a Star Wars movie

also holy shit when rogue one (dont even know her name) bumped into that guy who said she should watch where theyre going (who would later do the same thing on tatooine) was pretty lame

So edgy and contrarian.

How much of that is from you knowing that Peter Cushing is dead, thus knowing it's CG, and immediately, even subconsciously scrutinizing it? I saw the movie of Monday and afterwards heard this guy behind me asking the person he was with if they got the same guy or had a different actor who just looked like him.

It had shit characters and paper thin plot but looked pretty

If you defend this movie but don't defend Transformers then you're a hypocrite

Uh, yeah they would praise it. Without Star Wars then the public would be starved for this kind of movie and would praise it like they did ANH back in the day.

People just want seemingly fleshed out and immersive setting to show big space battles in. This delivered.

Rogue One filters out another pleb

TFA is that way

But it was worse! That shot of them running in the open with the AT-ATs looked really good.

It's also weird that he's playing a character from Clone Wars, but you'd never be able to tell because that's not relevant to anything.

Not him, and I thought the CGI was great. If I wasn't a Star Wars fan and hadn't been looking for it I might not have even noticed. I've met people who didn't realize his face was CGI. It was the best CGI stand in face I've ever seen.

The cast was fine, the characters were dull.

yeah I think he was the only one that came close to being a character. we saw his motives and desires and the semblance of a storyline. the political drama around the death star was far more interesting than the main story.

But both of them were "meh tier" user

I honestly didn't notice Tarkin being CG when I watched it, and I probably won't notice it when I watch again when it comes to Blu-ray.
I can't watch many films in theaters since I live out in the boonies.

Good: Tarkin, Krennic, Bunnyfu, Vader, Robo Malcolm X, Mads

Bad: lead was shit, other rebels were shit besides Robonigger and he didn't get to do anything, Vader didn't do anything either except the last 5 seconds, whole story seemed kind of irrelevant, no Sheev cameo

Not a single one was killed by Vader. Pathetic!

>I've met people who didn't realize his face was CGI

Same here. It was very good.

Young Leia was 100% spot on, probably easier to do someone without all those wrinkles.

Did anyone else think Leia's scene was pretty powerful because of what happened to Carrie?

I went to see this film with my brother and he did not notice Tarkin was CGI.