Expanse. Is this series a massive disappointment

I think it started strong, but went to shit within a few episodes

youtube.com/watch?v=JwTb8IGKmUg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Hkv2e5pcXo
youtube.com/watch?v=-_2_cJxYYhM
hollywoodreporter.com/news/bafta-unveils-new-diversity-initiatives-film-awards-956027
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I enjoyed it a lot, but that's probably because I'm a massive autist who was so excited by the prospect of a science fiction TV show that has relatively realistic physics.

I wasn't overwhelmed by the plot or characters.

Hard Science Fiction on television gives me a hadron.

ayyyyy

I love the space physics and CGI

Story and acting is also good but really I just love how realistic it is about space

I know she's dead, but I really hope this season still features lots of Julie Ayylmao.

Not even half as good as the books.

Big surprise

STAY AWAY FROM DA AQUA

it's the best sci fi to come out in decades, hope they don't go full retard with action scenes in s02 now that they have a bigger budget.

>its a shill changes tactics episode

Everything except the Mars and space battle stuff was shit.

Also the Indian chick's voice gave me an erection.

GEEV DE MAASHANS DER WATAH

youtube.com/watch?v=6Hkv2e5pcXo

I fall into this category too. Just the fact it's a fairly hard-scifi tv show earns it a lot of leeway with me.

This.

Also, Go Mars [exclamation mark]

>relatively realistic physics
top ayy lmao

>stop liking what I don't like, you shill!
Do you realize that you are a parody of yourself?

They acknowledge the coriolis effect exists even if they don't know exactly what it looks like. Not every studio can experiment with this shit in 0.3g to double check.

OP is completely wrong. It started unimpressive but became really good

Yep.
I've heard the books are pretty good, but I don't read that much genre fiction
Looking forward to season 2

Do you even watch science fiction?

>middle school level babby physics calculation
>experiment with this shit in 0.3g to double check

I assumed user was reeing about their visual depiction of water moving under spin gravity. What are you >implying?

>implying even 10% of science fiction gives a rats ass about primary school physics
You are being retarded.

Man, the screen writers should hire you.

IS mckay in it?

Answer me cambodians

>getting rave reviews from Salon

kek, so predictable that they are right on board with all the diversity in the cast.

Expanse is good in spite of it, im sure it would be a bit better if they werent trying to fill quotas, like having that mars admiral be some stocky chinese woman.

>relatively realistic physics.
>realistic gravity because ships move at 9.81m/s^2
>would reach speed of light within a year
>amount of work required to constantly accelerate is insane
>current ships travel 7743.0556 m/s in a vacuum meaning that it can only accelerate up to 7743.0556 m/s before being unable to accelerate anymore.
>this simulated gravity ships would pass this top speed in 13 minutes and go 10x faster every second.
I dont think I need to overemphasize how retarded that is.

I mean, I know what you're talking about, but ships specifically stop accelerating for extended periods of time. That's why they talk about 'burns' -- periods during which they're actually firing their thrusters rather than coasting. They use mag boots to simulate gravity the rest of the time.

Also, this is more something the books talk about than anything else, but most ships peter off at around Martian gravity for their optimum acceleration speed (same with rotational stations like Ceres), so the maths isn't quiiiite as fucked as you think.

I know what you mean, though. I had an argument with my friend who did the maths like you did about whether it's better for science fiction to just avoid science all together for fear of fucking it up.

>but went to shit within a few episodes
The second episode was the worst. The forth was far better.

>They use mag boots to simulate gravity the rest of the time.
I've heard it explained that they constantly burn earth's gravity to simulate.
That's the reason ships are stacked like skyscrapers.
I did hear this shit on Sup Forums and it's been a year since i've seen expanse so I'm not feeling juicy enough to argue it.

He's in Dark Matter.

You are correct. Most spaceships move around the solar system at 1 g or near to it. They only exceed it when the entire crew is strapped down and pumped full of a magic fluid that prevents your bones from being turned to powder.

Their ships are arranged on a vertical axis to the thrusters so they can enjoy gravity while under thrust, rather than chilling in a spinning rotational torus and then getting stuck to the walls once the ship accelerates or whatever. But the books (and the show to an extent with the magboot props) do explain that the ships spend a lot of their time drifting.

Fuck you, the casting has actually been superb across the board so far. I'm more terrified of the dwarfish woman they got to play someone described as a Martian She-Hulk next season. That's some lazy-ass casting; if she doesn't nail the attitude rock-solid, it's going to feel like a huge waste.

It gives me a collider.

Badum tsh!

Let's be honest: the books themselves are not exactly patrician science fiction. They're popcorn action crap -- perfect for a tv or movie adaptation.

Those freakish belters are some of the effects in the show. Also wasn't there a clue that Julie was coming back?

Yeah no you're right. They're very traditional space opera in that regard.

>masseffect3
looks like a ps1 game.

it's a shit game desu man it's just the only place I remember the sound of ms UN secretary currymuncher's voice from

I think you need to be spaced.

Mars rules. Martian episode best episode.

gotcha that makes a lot more sense
but still i wouldnt think any ship except maybe a luxury cruise one would do that.

I enjoyed it

Honestly I dropped it after the first episode. I don't know why literally everyone has some sardonic sense of humour.

You're on fucking Sup Forums. What kind of sense of humor have you got? Droll and whimsical?

>kek, so predictable that they are right on board with all the diversity in the cast.
it's almost as if white people living comfortable lives on Earth wouldn't want to go live in shit conditions in cramped spaceships while the 10 billion Indians and Chinese who have spent their entire life sharing a closet with 20 members of their extended family would welcome the risk

It started strong, got slightly more boring after the first few episodes, then finished on an extremely high note. The season finale was straight up awesome.

Dark Matter is also in the same boat

Yeah same but in terms of storytelling (especially through a visual medium) if you need to shoehorn people being able to not float around all the time it's a good way of fluffing it. Eclipse Phase and some other sci fi /tg/ have some good shit about living in microgravitiy.

Yep, I modified my Transhuman space game to be more Expanse like

agreed.

Looks like they will be stuffing the rest of book 1 and book 2 into season 2, so I am sure there will be little filler.

Literally what I have in mind every time I see anything related to "The Expanse"

That fucking accent

Dont know exactly, but in the novels shes not exactly dead. I read only the beginning of the second book, so I dont know exactly whats the deal.

well in the books at least she still alive....

she becomes a wormhole in the end, long story

Question. Why does Detective dude latch onto her case so much? What exactly is it about her that gets him out of his rut and make him give a shit?

I feel like maybe the show didn't portray this as much. It just kind of happened and I was wondering why.

He and Muss (the greek/egyptian girl) had a thing going, he screwed it up.

His boss hates him, they send him on the crappy stuff that they don't think he going to solve, and he has no point to be on ceres.

He gets this shitty job of looking for Julie, and he feels like he has new wind, a midlife crisis and waifuism all in one and becomes obsessed with her.

Thanks, that was comprehensive. I broadly understood the overall idea as I was watching, but that explanation helps me understand his character better.

I absolutely loved his switch to being more ruthless towards the end of the season.

Season 2 soon my dudes.

>now normies won't be afraid to watch other hard sf stuff

this is good progress
I know shit like Spin and Forever War might see adaptations before Hyperion or any Culture series

but I'd love something along the lines of Blindsight, Accelerando, or something from Culture, maybe Player of Games

>im sure it would be a bit better if they werent trying to fill quotas,
They aren't, they're stick to the books, which spend a lot of time explaining how and why ethnicities ended up how they did.

>like having that mars admiral be some stocky chinese woman.
I believe they even explain this in the show, the primary colonists on Mars were East/Southeast Asians and Texans.

Also, he's so down on humans (typical noir detective) that he can barely believe it when a gorgeous heiress gives up a life of luxury to come out to the Belt and stand up for people with absolutely nothing going for them.

>soon
>still a month away
Not soon enough for me.

Just a show watcher, and looking forward to seeing some cool Martian tech and all their fancy toys.

I didn't fully comprehend what that Martian officer interrogating the crew was doing early in the show. What was he consuming while interrogating them?

For the most part it's a good show. The plot is interesting the science fiction is good harder sci-fi, the "diversity" doesn't get in the way of the plot, character development or is forced in anyway. The only problem I have is the Iranian actress, Shohreh Aghdashloo; her voice is irritating beyond belief.

Diversity?

If you watch season 2 episode 0, the special with Adam Savage, they repeat like 30 times how diverse the cast is and how great it is...

I like Shagraloo's voice.

Focus drugs. Basically future version of ADD meds that interrogators use to enhance perception so they can pick up on subtle physiological cues as to whether someone is lying.

Of course they do, because diversity is en vogue, that's not the shows fault. They're just being true to the source material, which explains at length why ethnicities are where they are in the future.

Yeah and to that point it's not forced, it makes sense and it fits. I get irritated when they force that shit into the plot for no reason. It becomes super obvious and makes the show shit.

Fucking a. She sounds like Dr. Claw. youtube.com/watch?v=-_2_cJxYYhM

anyone else hate Holden?

>bad acting
>super aggressive and angry whenever anyone disagrees with him
>thinks he's in charge of everything
>gets almost everyone killed because he's a dumbass
>gets triggered whenever Amos wants to use force
>kills a bunch of people anyway lol

but I liked the show since near future space stuff is the best

Nah, this is probably some of the best sci-fi to ever air on TV. Granted, that's not a real high bar, but still, it's a good show. Love Thomas Jane in it.

I didn't like the beginning, almost dropped it, but I'm glad I stuck around.

What really bothers me is the guy who plays Holden. He is like Jon Snow in space, no emotions, no facial expressions, no intensity, all he can convey is a slight sense of having smelled a fart in his vicinity.

Right on the money nigga.

this is basically what I got out of it, he had been in the shitty exploitative crooked world of the Belt for so long that seeing someone with genuine idealism was intriguing to him

he's definitely the weakest part but honestly it's hard to blame him given how poorly developed his character is beyond "muh learning to be a leader"

> I get irritated when they force that shit into the plot for no reason
No offense, but are you trying to be dense for some weird reason? Diversity sells. It broadens the appeal. The world isn't some utopia where people relate to every character regardless of race or culture.

the weakest point of season 1 is the acting. thomas jane was good though.

i think what kept me watching was the scope and scale of everything. i think season 2 will be even better considering actors like chad coleman seem to be taking a bigger part, that guy is a really good actor.

Holden sucks in the books, too.

any other good space shows lately?

tfw waiting for star citizen to get made

this He's written that way in the books. Like someone else said, they're clearly written with TV in mind and he is written as an insufferable white knight to the core.

I'm not being dense. Force diversity for the sake of diversity sucks and is obvious in tv, books, movies etc because they forget to actually write the fucking character, story, and usually not give the character any backstory.

It's not forced. "Forced" is usually just a word anons use for stuff they don't like.

>goes to great lengths to be as scientifically rigorous as possible

>sounds in space
REEEE WHY CAN'T A SINGLE SCIFI SHOW OR MOVIE GET THIS RIGHT?!

This dude is doing a shit job of explaining his point but I think it's something along the lines of him feeling that forced diversity in shows and movies focuses on barely relevant surface change at the expense of developing the actual substance of the characters. Essentially trying to replace the long and complicated story of that individual with a more simplistic "this character acts this way because she is a strong black woman".

I'd call filling in the racial quotas forced. For example: hollywoodreporter.com/news/bafta-unveils-new-diversity-initiatives-film-awards-956027

>>sounds in space
>REEEE WHY CAN'T A SINGLE SCIFI SHOW OR MOVIE GET THIS RIGHT?!

Pic related got it right, surprisingly.

When space pirates attack they broadcast sound effects for the weaponry on all communication channels because waging war in the silence of space was not as fun.

Also ship to ship combat was 99% electronic warfare (mostly computer hacking and ECM) to throw off the enemy ships sensors and fuck with their combat computers. It was more like submarine combat with hackers fucking up each others long range sensors.

>sffy original series
It was destined to be shit

its really not that big of a deal and it would probably be hokey as hell and weird

there's a reason most sci fi shows have sound in space, because it's just stupid without it. just imagine some short battle sequence cutting in and out of area shots of the battle and inside the space ship. it's all chaos with sound inside with shit exploding and people freaking out, and the area shots are completely silent

it just doesn't really work

If it serves a purpose for sales then you can call any trope "forced". Happy ending to make the audience feel good? FORCED! Good vs evil? FORCED! Fanservice? FORCED!

The word just means "I don't like this thing" these days.

Yet it defied destiny.

does it actually improve viewer ship though? i think the push to put more diversity in movies and tv has more to do with fads and fashions within media circles than it does with hard business calculus. i know that mexicans, to use one example, are more than happy to watch shows where no one in the cast looks anything like them. casting mestizo actors isnt necessarily going to draw them in because they dont care about that in the first place. what casting mestizo actors will do, however, is please the people who have pull in the industry who happen to be obsessed with diversity right now

whether all of this negatively impacts the story of a given show depends on a lot of factors. i dont think it hurts The Expanse very much at all, because all of the characters are believable and the level of diversity is consistent with the source material.

love her voice

What's the best sci-fi show guys? I want to binge one.

Personally I think it started like shit and turned to infectious diarrhea. Tell me your life isn't depressing enough without having to put up with depressing science fiction also.