Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338
twitter.com/thehorrormaster/status/172531459201052672
youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw
youtube.com/watch?v=9FgB-mH6A6c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Your face is a thing.

Personally I think MacReady and Childs were buddies

The beginning, he pours whiskey into the chess computer and remarks that its a cheater.

In the end of The Thing, he gives his whiskey bottle to Childs. He had been making molotovs earlier and, likely, this bottle had a much deadlier concoction inside that The Thing would not have noticed.

Horseshit. MacReady was drinking it himself.

>people can't drink gasoline

what planet are you from?

Well it was Jack Daniels, it's not like there's a difference

He wasnt though

OK, maybe it wasn't a molotov.

That being said, the way we're introduced to the character and the ending of the film is too uncanny. That and the fact that the music starts playing as Childs drinks.

Childs got lost in the storm chasing after the Thing and simply went back to the only place he knew. What's so unbelievable about that?
The music isn't eerie though.

If you're going to be retarded no you's for you

It was J&B

@77764217
>he actually likes Jack Daniels
Confirmed absolute shit pleb taste

he changed clothes.

>not knowing they were all things

pleb

Or he put on another jacket because he went from indoors to the extreme cold of the Antarctic.

Part of me would love to see whatever Carpenter planned for a sequel but another part of me hopes nothing ever gets made to ruin this movie. The prequel was decent enough and even if you think it was shit at least it doesn't do anything to ruin the original movie.

>was MacReady a thing?
No but Childs was.

They were all the thing. From the very beginning. Every time a new host is assimilated, a new organism forms. What proceeds to happen is each organism fighting for dominance. They continue to pretend to be human because none of them can be sure if each other is really human or another creature. So they continue to pretend until either they assimilate another human, or kill another version of itself. This cycle continues until the strongest variant stands last.

literally autistic. blood test scene blows this theory out of the water immediately.

Probably not, but it doesn't matter in the long run because the scene will necessarily be investigated closely, just as Mac and Copper had gone to investigate the Norwegian camp. Every time, there will always be stupid humans who just haaave to poke their noses in until it's far too late, and the ~3 year projection still comes true anyway.

Consider that the carcass that they brought back rejuvenetated itself. Furthermore, how did Blair get thing'd? Exactly because all that biomass that they buried and burned /rejuvenated again/, then sought out the solitary Blair as the next best target, all while they were all hunkered down during the storm. 2011 (for those who are willing to accept it as canon) demonstrates that Things can break out of slightly weakened ice prisons.

All this burned up biomass, plus the other stuff that Blair-thing grabs in the interim, this is, it is necessarily, where the biomass for Final-Form Blair Thing comes from. blair-thing stows it all in a back room and then goes and melds with it, dragging garry's stupid poor corpse into the fracas.

My question is why the fuck did they at all split up when they determined that the four of them before the end were human. Your main weakness to the thing is that you become one. If you stop that from happening and you don't die then everything is under control.

>MacReady was drinking it himself
nope
youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338

>alt ending had MacReady rescued and given blood test, confirming he's human

>stupid humans who just haaave to poke their noses in until it's far too late
I think the default response to an outbreak from a biological weapon or sufficiently deadly virus thawing out on a government outpost is minuteman III saturation. The creature probably gets one more chance to not fuck up before it's toast.

This is an interesting post because you've introduced a piece of jargon that I don't know. I want to invite you to explain it before I search aboutit.

I always thought it was pretty obvious that Childs was a thing, given how the music starts playing as soon as he drinks the bottle of whatever liquid was inside

I think the point of the scene is that it doesn't really matter as they'll both freeze to death anyway

The textbook response to a situation like this happening in real life is to saturate the area with nuclear equipped MIRVs. If a response team can't contain the situation or if there is any doubt the place heats up hotter than the sun in far less than half an hour.

Show me one frame of him actually drinking it from the final scene.

He was a human, Childs was a thing. [Spoiler]in the original script he blasted childs with a hidden flamethrower, mirroring the opening scene with the computer where he gets outsmarted so he just destroys the computer to win [/spoiler]

how the fuck did you manage to fuck up the spoiler tag you fucking animal

The real Childs would have probably burned Mac out of fear and for the same reason would never have excepted a potentially contaminated drink.

>I think the point of the scene is that it doesn't really matter as they'll both freeze to death anyway
Or they'll both hibernate until someone finds them because they're both things.

Your jargon continues to interest me, so I'll search the other bits of jargon and ask exactly how you know what SOP (standard operating procedure) is supposed to be in situations like these.

Yeah, that's another thing. Childs said he went back because he thought he saw Blair, which is a pretty flimsy excuse. Him just sitting down with Mac with zero suspicion is pretty much a dead giveaway that he's been assimilated, seen as Childs wanted to kill Mac at one point.

If there is petrol in the bottle then it also fits nicely with the computer scene at the start of the movie. Mac can't beat the Thing, so he destroys it, even if it means 'losing' himself.

ctrl+s for spoiler tags newfriend

Yes, but only under the following parameters, which are neither confirmed nor disproven in the film

1- Each Thing is its own conscious entity
2- Each Thing is not aware of events prior to its creation
3- Each Thing is concerned first and foremost with its own survival and duplication
4- the Things do not have a hivemind or means of knowing which others are also Things
5-the Thing only strikes when it is in complete isolation with another being for a period of time long enough to make the swap
6- the Thing's ultimate goal is complete stealth and integration. Suspicion of its presence is as bad as actual knowledge

So each Thing is self-aware (they don't act presuming to be human) but they also assume that all other creatures are not a Thing until otherwise revealed to them. They also do not care for the lives of the other Things as long as they establish and maintain deniability for their own case.

We know that the inquisition was carried out initially by Macready.
We know that Garry wasn't one and we're pretty damn sure Blair wasn't until later in the film, meaning that the key to the blood supply had to have been stolen and used by somebody who knew they would test it, or better yet, who would suggest they test it himself.
We never see Macready draw his own blood, and everyone else was tied down or kept at a distance.

After stating multiple times that they were already dead and nobody was getting back home, AND insisting that freezing the Thing would only put it to sleep to be awakened and released on the general populace, he FAILS to off himself and Childs after burning the entire camp. Even though he knows full well he will die anyway of exposure (providing he isn't the Thing).

This is the damning evidence, more than any other. Macready was not a brilliant man. He was resourceful maybe, but incapable of playing mind games as witnessed by his frustration with simple chess. Not sly. 1/2

I also want to underline the absurdity of you saying "a situation like this", as in the exact circumstances of the 1982 film, like the contingencies are there about that exact thing.

I would instead invite you to qualify what you really meant, since by definition some schmuck sitting at a base doesn't know what's going on, except it's super-super secret bad or something.

No. Nigger dude was.

2/2
The THING, however, is a creature of deception. It knew that once the camp had caught on that there was no way any one of them would let it leave without at least informing another human of the situation. All non-things had to be eliminated, even if that meant sacrificing the other Things, for the sake of loose ends.

It manipulated the entire camp into its own destruction and even went so far as to blow up the more successful but far less subtle Thing to maintain its own cover. The fact that after risking near death multiple times Macready fails to execute himself and Childs and leave the fate of the world up to a coin flip guess is absolutely absurd. The real Macready would have done in Childs and then himself, with fire.

How many Things are posting in this thread right now?

That's part of the proof. Black guy would know not to drink from the same bottle. He wasn't concerned, therefore he's an ayy.

twitter.com/thehorrormaster/status/172531459201052672

lel

he takes it out and raises it like he's about to drink it before Childs shows up. it could be argued that he heard him coming did that to trick him

That might be rational but
>Committing suicide by fire
There's a reason why it's the method of choice for Tibetan monks and very few others.
Even if the world's at stake, I don't think MacCready would be heroic enough to choke on a flamethrower.

who said anyone was the Thing?

I don't suppose it'd go too far to say he had more dynamite on him then

Is a noun, a thing?

That's exactly the kind of denial going on in this thread that prompted me to ask.
Well self-inflicted dynamite is more reasonable I suppose, but I still doubt MacCready would go through with something like that.

Kieth David's twitter bio says that he is NOT the thing, so I think its pretty safe to assume here

Childs was out there long enough to die from the damn cold
Yet here he is at the end with not a single bit of breath visible in the cold.

I'm pretty sure this is all public knowledge. One of the primary duties of ICBMs besides deterrence is containment of really nasty biological and chemical weapons, especially on FOBs and outposts.

>underline the absurdity of you saying "a situation like this"
Plans are in place to contain sufficiently dangerous prehistoric microorganisms although the people who actually go to those locations might not realize that they might get incinerated if someone does not like the risk reward balance.

WRONG

>WRONG
Childs would not have run out by himself. He did not have visible breath like Mac. He would not have sat down with Mac and would have probably doused him in flames just to be sure. He would not have excepted a drink from Mac. I think he changed Jackets which is not something he would have done and most importantly he would have died of a heart attack when the lights went out in that building, him realizing that the creature is likely on it's way up from the basement to ravage his ass.

The breath argument is stupid, Thing is a perfect copy of human organism, so it's able to breathe like humans do. So you either assuming it isn't or it's just forgot to, which is even dumber.

There's also the fact that Childs' breath CAN be seen, just not as well, due to the lighting.

the black guy was a thing, the beer he drank was gasoline.

>The breath argument is stupid, Thing is a perfect copy of human organism, so it's able to breathe like humans do. So you either assuming it isn't or it's just forgot to, which is even dumber.
Under stressful circumstances its tissues adapt, always preserving self before the whole. The creatures lungs are changing to mitigate the dropping temperature even if it gives the whole away.

Technically everything is a thing.

>twitter.com/thehorrormaster/status/172531459201052672
FUCK OFF REVISIONIST

>Childs' breath CAN be seen
There is not a lot in comparison with Mac.

That one just got placed outside. It has not had sufficient time to adapt.

They were both The Thing in the last scene.

I'm not sure how it's up for debate

It's so obvious Childs is the Thing and the movie makes it perfectly clear

The game's view (which is accepted as canon by Carpenter himself) states that they were both human

>simply believing someone when they say they are not the thing

Your authoritative tone holds interest and so again, I invite you to provide links about SOP. Also you are assuming "prehistoric microorganisms" but that's just a nitpick on my part since that's the hypothetical here. I wonder what an FOB is, good night.

You can see MacReady's breath in the cold

You can't see Child's

Not but we was a Mary Sue.

He can't be a Mary Sue because Childs hates him and nobody took up for him when he was left to die except that one guy who whined about it a little. If he was a Mary Sue he would have won the chess game at the beginning of the movie, blasted the thing decisively at the end of the movie and everyone would have loved him.

>in every The Thing thread there is always that one guy with the next-level retarded fan theory about Child's breath and drinking gasoline in the last scene

Just fucking stop it, already

Nice try alien.

>Childs: "You are the only one who made it"
>MacReady: "Not the only one"
Pretty obvious Childs doesn't consider himself human.

>these threads, every single time

Just wait for the sequel to invalidate this argument and finally put it to rest like the older even more grating debate to if deckard was a replicant or not.

this
like dude jesus read up on that shit for just one second

they clearly read it in a previous thread and then just believed it because it sounds cool

Is there any proof he's not drinking gasoline?

Isn't Childs extremely paranoid? And in the end he is pretty chill about MacReady not being the thing.

youtube.com/watch?v=SppG-I_Dhxw

>they clearly read it in a previous thread and then just believed it because it sounds cool

I don't think you realize how much time has been poured into this question.

youtube.com/watch?v=9FgB-mH6A6c
There is no way Childs would have trusted anyone in that situation much less Mac.

Better question is, when did Blair become The Thing?
>destroys radio to prevent base team from warning the outside
>destroys helicopter for parts due to not knowing how to fly it
>tells Mac to watch Clark as a red herring to prevent suspicion from coming back to him long enough to build a space craft in solitude without looking suspicious

I think it's possible he just went crazy from the implications and acted out of panic.

fuck you

I can't remember, but there's a scene where he's talking to Mac quite calmly, with a noose hanging prominently in the background. Neither character brings it up, but I like to think Blair tried hanging himself when the Thing got to him.

I believe he was slowly infected on a cellular level, when he killed the dogs and destroyed the equipment he wasn't assimilated yet, just paranoid and scared for humanity. I believe his assimilation got completed sometime in the shed. He was stealing the helicopter parts to throw the rest off, IIRC. The real question is, what was the flyer for? Escaping to space or to mainland? Because there's no way he'd go unnoticed by authorities.

I'm not sure it would have been able to get into space, but I don't think the Thing wanted to. It clearly realised it was somewhere far from any great amount of life-forms for it to assimilate, probably vaguely knew the geography of the planet and realised it needed to cross the sea as soon as possible to find somewhere populated.

>probably vaguely knew the geography of the planet and realised it needed to cross the sea as soon as possible to find somewhere populated

But why not use the helly then?

Wasn't it destroyed at that point? I recall Blair-Thing used salvaged parts to build the craft

doesn;t he lock MacReady out as well earlier in the movie? That was without any proof.

Is there any proof he is? And don't tell me about Mac using unrelated molotovs in another scene because let's be honest Carpenter was not that subtle.

No, and Childs wasn't either, apparently.

The videogame is canon for some retarded reason

I guess there really isn't any proof, but there's still plenty of evidence that points to Childs being a Thing

>I recall Blair-Thing used salvaged parts to build the craft

Exactly that is my question, pal. B-T destroyed the helly to build the craft. Why even do that?

They were divided from civilization by the ocean, and i doubt helicopter can make it though the ocean, this is too much distance.

I always looked at that scene as dark comedy but just recently I think that it was probably Thing Blair trying to goad the others into letting him out, being all nonchalant about it and thinking it's being subtle - like an emo teenager cutting their arms up and wearing short sleeves, then saying, "Oh, this? This isn't for attention, I was hoping you wouldn't notice."

Man I don't know why people say this, go back and watch the end scene, Childs clearly has visible breath, its just that Macready's breath was illuminated by the fire while Childs was in the dark

It either didn't think it could survive the Antarctic conditions, remember the weather was picking up, or it didn't know how to fly it, as Macready was the Pilot.

It's possible that it was just trying to build something to fly it back to its ship at the Norwegian Base

I don't disagree. Though I'm of the ilk who like to think of Child's as Schrodinger's Thing.

Didn't Blair destroy the Heli before he was assimilated? I know it's never made clear exactly when the Thing gets him, but I'm pretty sure when he's destroying all their means of contacting and escaping to the rest of the world he's still human, just gone completely mad from knowing what the Thing will do if it reaches civilisation

Also this, it probably just wanted to get back to the Norwegian camp so it could refreeze in a more secure environment until someone else thawed it out

>it probably just wanted to get back to the Norwegian camp so it could refreeze in a more secure environment until someone else thawed it out

I don't think this at all. I think it wanted to get back to its ship and repair it.

>Didn't Blair destroy the Heli before he was assimilated? I know it's never made clear exactly when the Thing gets him, but I'm pretty sure when he's destroying all their means of contacting and escaping to the rest of the world he's still human, just gone completely mad from knowing what the Thing will do if it reaches civilisation

You're probably right, it's hard to remember exact timelines for me since I didn't watch it for over a year.