/prod/ - Music Production General

no one will ever make it edition

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/ and please ffs show a little effort with your posts

>ATTENTION!
DON'T post Soundcloud, YouTube, or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That's considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

>RESOURCES:

Sound Design:
>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (Compression, EQ, etc)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

WRITING:

>12tone
youtube.com/channel/UCTUtqcDkzw7bisadh6AOx5w/playlists

>Micheal New
youtube.com/user/Rhaptapsody/playlists

---
join yo!
discord.me/prodthread

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/4ysfn4si
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_(software)
clyp.it/ow2jblpa
audioz.download/
forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=56637
clyp.it/id1z02xf
clyp.it/1ic4lymz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have a half hour ambient piece i want to build some synths and stuff over but I'm not sure what software to use. I tried FL Studio but it's kind of had cause the piano roll thing in on a pattern but the ambient track is in the song part so i can't hear it while i make the midi parts. I looked at ableton but I didn't see a master volume control which I need cause my speakers are dumb and always on full blast. What should I do? I made the ambient track mostly in renoise and would do the rest of it in renoise but it would take forever having to trigger a half hour sample and build around it.

Hey /prod/, what's your favorite music to /prod/?

ambient

Idm because I'm not a PLEBIAN

Just because you don’t know how to do something doesn’t mean the software can’t do it. What you want to do is possible on any DAW. did you seriously believe that you can’t work on the piano roll in FL while listening to the other tracks?

>I looked at ableton but I didn't see a master volume control
its easy to miss in arrangement view because its a small box

I used to fucking love Audiomulch for making ambient music.

You should be using the session view for that honestly, volume control in the arrangement view is there so you can click on it for automation

is that on the master track or on the overall system?

master track if youre looking for the other I don't know what you should do

yeah i need the other. I'm not sure what ill do either besides try and write a guitar part that works over the half hour jam and play that, maybe bass too. Anyone got tips on that?

i don't use session view much i use a midi controller to switch between tracks and control the volume faders

I'll tip my hat to that, good sir!

Need more idm posters in /prod/ desu

prefer jungle desu
less pretentious, more fun :)

If you don’t use session view you’re kinda gimping yourself. Why don’t you use pro tools then? Do you use max too much?

Anyone tried Live 10?
How does the project folder look like? (pic related are 8 and 9).
Do you have to make a new user library like with 9 (and the 8 is available as a separate directory in the browser), or 9's works seamlessly with 10?

clyp.it/4ysfn4si

What do you guys think of this so far? Not quite fully sequenced out yet, but i'm interested to know what you think. I'm a little torn on it at the moment. I'm Debating whether to abandon it or not.

Less INTERESTING

Idem is fun :(

Bro you don't have to make a new library just switch it in the directory if you want to use the old library and don't want to c/p for some reason

Lmao'ing at the idea of somebody not using session view in ableton lol

max is really the only reason I have live installed still

oh my god, don't abandon it!! throw away your computer entirely because you suck big donkey dicks my god

>Bro you don't have to make a new library just switch it in the directory if you want to use the old library and don't want to c/p for some reason
Weird.
I don't remember how it was when I switched, but I remember having reason to believe that 8's wouldn't work in Live 9, and the browser allows me to link to it separately (pic related).
Will 10 let me have 8's and 9's libraries along with the new one like it does in my current setup?

Junglist reporting in

jungle is more sample-focused and is more club-friendly
less intended for home listening
FUN

Mhmm I remember that option moving up to 9 (illegitimately)- you just delete the old library and it's gone

All that was missing was grooves iirc. Just copied them in.

I'd have to imagine there's a similar option in 10, though idk why you wouldn't want to just consolidate everything

I'm making more friendly idm shuturface:(

any good sampling tutorials?

>though idk why you wouldn't want to just consolidate everything
The old library has a ton of shit from when I was a beginner, that I don't want to integrate into the new one, and it would take a long time to handpick everything, so I procrastinated.
I don't have that problem with 9's library, so I wouldn't mind integrating it into 10's, but 8's is probably going to stay like that for a long time.

I keep hearing about max for live but what exactly is it? I get it that it’s a visual programming language but what can you do with it that you can’t do with plugins?

With jungle I dont think they altered or messed with the original samples too much bc of the technology, but I'm sure if you look up a tutorial on Ableton's timestretching/quantizing capabilities that'd help
I really just find my samples from listening to music (old funk/soul and reggae/dancehall compilations are great for that classic jungle sound)
But really when I use these samples I just pitch em down/up and add slight FX/EQ to match the other instruments on the track
I used to make ambient/noise/drone by just manipulating samples and that helped learn how Ableton worked but at this point want to make interesting tunes that could be pressed on vinyl
No yeah IDM is really fun to make and there's so much you can do with it and the boundaries are basically limitless..
but now I really like my dance music to be danceable
And I feel like Jungle nails the balance between club music and IDM perfectly

Delete everything you don't want as you go along man. Or make a "temporary" folder of effects racks or whatever it is you might want to keep

Lfo on any parameter anywhere. other people make instruments

You're probably the type to use factory default patches and loops. With Max for Live™, you can make the synthesizer and make it do or sound however you want. Stop relying on corporate made plugins and vsts

There's a program called Max/MSP, that's like a visual programming language for doing all sorts of crazy audio and video stuff at a very low level.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_(software)
Basically lets you make your own music software very easily, and in a "standardized" way.

Max For Live is an add-on to Ableton that lets people use Max inside Ableton, by making special Max patches that work as if they were Ableton's native plugins.

This allows people to make their own plugins that are completely integrated into Live (unlike normal VSTs) to add previously unavailable features or to create completely new systems for audio or video.

On maxforlive.com there are thousands of patches that people made that you can download.
On Ableton's website there are some too.

clyp.it/ow2jblpa

check out my thing

Thanks. Finally someone who explained it in concrete terms instead of being vague about it.

>explained it in concrete terms
u mean "dumbed it down so you could understand"?

No problem m8

Concrete pragmatic examples my man

Kind of prod related: where do people buy and sell gear online these days? I've got some hardware synths I haven't used in several years that I want to sell off. I've gone through Reverb before and didn't much like it. Thanks

Local gear trading facebook groups?

I thought about that, but I don't want to sell locally. I've got enemies who would probably be interested in the gear I'm selling and contact me, not knowing it's me. Then we meet and someone gets fucked up

u hardcore

fake profile dickhead

/prod/ always dead when i'm not busy producing :((((

What is a fake profile gonna do if they don't know it's me to begin with? I gotta meet up to sell the shit to them

>clyp.it/4ysfn4si
I really like it actually
Be more creative next time

Where can I pirate vst's?

Sell in a different city where you don't have enemies, or ask a friend (that your enemies don't know) to sell them for you.

fucking junkie

I think the discord is not for me. At least here where everybody sucks ass I can still give them shit for it. There you're supposed to encourage it.

>being this dense

honestly if you're not ripping on people who are new/bad you're doing them a disservice

i always see the comment about every clyp being shit

as if it's worth posting anything that's actually good for reasons other than validation- nobody here can help you if you're already good

nigga please I just want to plug in sylenth and fuck around not having to pay hundreds of dollars c'mon

audioz.download/

kys desu i can't believe you can't just fucking google sylenth torrent what the fuck is wrong with you

Pirate bay and proxy sites are blocked in my country and i'm too poor atm to pay for a decent vpn. I figured that somebody might know of an actual decent place to pirate shit since I know you are all degenerates as well.

ahh gotcha, shoulda specified

vst4free has a fuck load of synths js- sylenth is nice for those couple simple sounds but eh

I'm a brainlet. I just wanted to see if I could bash out some knock off flume shit

That's a good idea
Lol why do you say that? I don't have drug enemies. I just have a large group of friends I ditched because i went to college and wanted to stop partying all the time. So, not really enemies, just people I don't wanna see

>So, not really enemies, just people I don't wanna see

>Then we meet and someone gets fucked up

They took partying that seriously?

Fucked up, emotionally, I guess. Like, I know they are sad about not seeing me, so it might fuck them up

That's a weird way to word it.

God damn this self importance holy shit

The blue volume controls the preview browser volume and is so handy. I learnt that 5 years into ableton. There's a lot I missed thinking I didn't need to know, you want to do shortcuts but its unwise.

be more autistic

... like previewing your library? Jfc I'm 4 years in thank you

I need to read through the whole fucking manual I'm still regularly amazed by something every few months

yes, for ages the library sounds were much louder than what I was working on and I'd always be changing my interface knob, duh

Same day I learnt about crossfader!

forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=56637

I thought i knew everything in Ableton.

techno feedback greatly appreciated

clyp.it/id1z02xf

Good but the kick is slightly mud, I'd pull up the highs of it or add a shhh or something quietly over top

ty brother , highs lifted sounds cleaner...have a problem with low passing kicks for some reason

or not low passing but just pinching the eq on both ends

Are rhythm , melody and bass the only things in music?
How do I start thinking and learn about composition ?

Dope

buy acoustic guitar and learn nirvana songs

I've already done that shit.

why ask that question then

Ok, so I am new to a daw. whenever I get down to composing I think , let me add some drums, let me add a melody and let me add bass.
What am I missing? What else could I do?

What are your other band members playing?

Harmony is pretty important, so is timbre.

"Bass" isn't one of the core elements of music, its more of a side product of a pieces instrumentation or production.
Its like saying "10 KHz is the only important thing in music".

Music is made of sounds:

"sound perception can be divided into six cognitive processes. They are: pitch, duration, loudness, timbre, sonic texture and spatial location"

According to Narmour, "The core elements [of music] are melody, harmony, rhythm, dynamics, tessitura, timbre, tempo, meter, texture, "and perhaps others"

so how do you do it?

how does it sound? I'm trying to arrange some clips recorded in the last days

clyp.it/1ic4lymz

what daw does he use

ableton

I literally cannot hear the difference between compressed and uncompressed vocals, I think I should just quit it

this isn't techno, you troglodyte. but it's well executed. i think the kick could use a little more punch.presence in the mix.
stop giving a shit about DAWs
it depends on the recording quality, the performance, and the degree of compression, but vox are definitely where compression draws out a lot of weird stuff. keep working on it, and experiment with various compressor settings on acapellas. pay attention to sibilance

Oh yeah sibilance is the only one thing that I can actually tell the difference

t. ableton soyboy

anything mac-compatible

what's the difference between a reverb with an eq and a reverb without one that is fed into an eq?

heh, I've seen some guys recording nasty death metal on ableton

Death metal is for commies

the Avalanches vibes. Can't tell how much of this, if any, you wrote, but the samples are nicely chosen. Just need to clean up the mix

Can I pleeease see a pic of your timeline? It sounds like it's jam packed with clips

Analog (possibly modular) synths with no DAW because recording your performance takes away from it.

you should spend more than 30 minutes learning how to use a DAW you plen. or perhaps google (crazy i know right?) 'ableton master volume'
try harder.
quantify some of those drum loops cause they sound a bit too far off and quite choppy. try playing with some reverb and more audio fx in general paired with automation (synth parameters, reverb sends, audio fx wetness of chorus fx or whatever) to keep things interesting. consider writing more parts to the harmony. it sounds more like a chorus to a song so try to write something that could come before/after it. those high hats need to be better. your percussion needs more variation. you need to play with panning/the stereo field more (making your high hats wider would be a good start). obviously it needs an intro/outro if you would like it to be a song. it's not horrible tho keep working
most /prod/ answer possible
don't listen to that other unhelpful asshole. you can buy pirated vsts off of me if you like
>clyp.it/id1z02xf
scrap the bass/sub bass and try again. i personally don't like the kick sidechain being on while the kick isn't on and that's what it sounds like. the closed hat doesn't sound good. the change @ 1 minute doesn't sound very graceful.
try reading an intro to music theory book. there's plenty of short options and they're easy to find.
a reverb with one built in will probably only put out a wet reverb signal of the frequencies that you chose. a reverb fed into an eq will eq the entire signal. this might be an important distinction because alot of reverb used is only partially 'wet', and so in that latter case if you were to eq after the entire reverb signal then you would likely be eqing the sound that intially went into the reverb (assuming you're not exclusively using reverb as a 100% wet send) which might sound bad. there might be more to it tho, good question

>clyp.it/1ic4lymz

feedback quietily welcome thanks guyz

>Kind of prod related:
if u cant find pirated stuff yourself you don't deserve any help getting them, fag