Fuck

Fuck...

Just saw this movie for the first time. Nothing else has made me more grateful for what I have.

Haven't seen this film talked about on Sup Forums, discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a45212/viggo-mortensen-profile/
theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/08/viggo-mortensen-on-actors-behaving-like-babies-and-why-he-wont-vote-for-hillary-captain-fantastic
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shit is too fucking depressing

watch threads

It's my favorite movie which I never wanted to see again.

Cormac McCarthy wrote it as a gift to his child

I like the monologues in this film.
>All I know is that the boy was my charge. And if he was not the word of God. Then God never spoke.

Anyone else notices that Viggo actually cares about the roles he takes? He isn't just doing it for the money I think.

Good movie, Viggo is /ourguy/ but don't expect discussion of this there's no real controversy.

You'd have to say it's kino or garbage to get any (you)s R.I.P.

>yfw you realize syrian refugees have it even worse

The book is a lot better.

>he didn't read the book
>he doesn't know about the baby

>that amputee cannibal victims in the basement scene

Makes sense. Lots of strong messages here about the bond between man and son.

leaf

>grateful for what I have
Yep, same here. No matter how bad things can get, I'm sure I'll never heard a child of mine cry for too much hunger or cold.

One of the most depressive films ever. It is literally the dementor version of films. Life just feels so empty and devoid of any happiness afterwards.
Took me almost a week to get over it.
The general consensus is that it's a very good, albeit very grim movie, which is probably why so few people talk about it.

>tfw i watched it with my best mate and he said "literally nothing happened"
now when ever it is my turn to pick the movie he says it better not be like the road

I want to watch this movie but I recently bought the book so I don't know which to do first.

I think the book would be better first since I'd go in imagining my own characters rather than have a directors vision occupy my mind

desu I would kill my wife and kid in their sleep as painlessly as possible, then kill myself. The pain and suffering isn't worth it, as much as I'd like to keep my genes/species still existing.

Because Viggo is a stud. There are some amazing articles written about him and how down to earth and badass he really is. A true diamond in the rough of the bullshit glitz and glam, narcissistic Hollywood you generally hear about and see.

Book first, for sure. It's way more effective than the film. Even though the film does a well enough job capturing the tone, McCarthy's prose is unmatched.

I actually gave a copy of the book to my dad yesterday. Hopefully he'll be able to make it through it.

The kids performance was fantastic, some of the best child acting I've ever seen.

How do you think the story would be different if the situation was the same, except that the climate was unaltered by the disaster?

the book is even more depressing

Scarier than almost every horror movie I've seen because it could actually happen IRL, there's nothing supernatural in it.

I found him super annoying but I guess that means he was doing good job.

>syrian refugees have it even worse

KYS.

Get better friends.

The thought of nuclear war triggers me. I'm not even joking. I can almost cry on command just by thinking about it.

The idea of everything I have ever known disappear in minutes and it being totally our fault... it's so much worse than a comet simply wiping everything out in an instant.

>saw it in theaters
>family with little children walk out in first 5 minutes

I remember worrying after hearing they added some scenes with charlize, but was impressed how true to form they stayed

really surprised it got the greenlight for a $25 million budget, it's well made, but not something people want to see

How was he annoying? Did you not have any empathy for him? I thought he was behaving pretty well considering how shitty a situation he was in. He just wanted someone else to talk to besides his Dad, especially a boy his age to be his friend. That's why he went crazy when he saw that other boy for a second and why he got his Dad to give old man Ely some food. I just about lost it when he he held Ely's hand when they were walking down the road together.

That surprisingly comfy scene when they find the fallout shelter.

what was her problem?

This movie probably is the most depressing thing I've ever watched. It really puts things into perspective, and makes me want to punch a retarded prepper that actually wants society to collapse in the face.

She was right.

This.

>getting triggered because you feel more empathy to film characters than to real people suffering and losing their families

Yeah its your conscious man, lol

I'm lurking on this board pretty often and have been for years, I really don't see threads about this movie.

It's just a shitty fucking movie where they walk from the beginning to the end of the movie in a grey mess while nothing happens. For some reason all the trees are dead (and burning somehow???) it's so annoyingly stupid.

Just stop talking about this movie.

Let me guess, you made the mistake of listening to Sup Forums and watched Threads?

Prepper here. 99.9% of people who prep are just normal people who understand that bad shit can happen and they'd rather be prepared than unprepared. Those other douchebags who say they want race riots or nuclear war or widespread famine and shit are just a buncha wannabe powertripping douchebags who have nothing else in their life except for their stockpile of supplies and supposed knowledge. Hate those assholes. They give people who are reasonable preppers a terrible name.

Just an FYI. People from all walks of life are into prepping and preparing in case of emergencies. Sure as shit doesn't make you some wacko, no matter what liberals and city-dwellers who can't see past their next Starbucks think. To be fair, lots of big city people I know prep as well.

On a Sup Forums related note, this movie is what I dread. So bleak and dangerous and damn. I might have to watch it again. I love me some Viggo.

yeah I remember watching all the LOTR making of docs and the other cast and crew all seemed to have a similar opinion of him.

obviously yeah if they thought he was a cunt they're not going to put that in, but he seemed really genuine and you see other people say it so much, seems like a really great guy.

anyway The Road, I've never seen it, but I loved the book, is it faithful enough and will it give me the same shitty bleak feeling for days after? I'm not sure I can handle that over the holidays, I might actually kill myself.

what do you mean mate, Threads is all sunshine and butterflies.

anyone who hasn't should watch it asap.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to lump all "preppers" into one category. Being prepared for disasters is just plain smart. But people who actively wish for such nonsense are annoying as hell, and in most cases probably going to be the first to die.

I live in a hurricane area and keep a "go-bag", as well as at least 2 weeks of water/food/supplies.

Driven mad because all is lost

Roads was bad - but Threads was 100000 times worse. I genuinely felt ill after watching it for the first time.

Don't get me wrong, they're exceptionally well-made films. They just have the distinct quality of ruining your entire week.

he was also pretty good in slow west; he might be one of the few child actors who transitions to proper roles

Threads is a movie, dipshit

>Brits thinking anyone cares about a cheesy 80's British made for TV movie

Depends on how big of balls you have, but yea... it has that feel to it man. Here's another in depth article about him. The dude is so legit esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a45212/viggo-mortensen-profile/ ..... and this one theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/08/viggo-mortensen-on-actors-behaving-like-babies-and-why-he-wont-vote-for-hillary-captain-fantastic . I imagine they're very similar, but it just goes a little more in depth with this badass. Seems like a great guy to grab some drinks and bullshit with. I also unironically have a slight obsession with Aragorn since I was a youngun, so his depiction made me a lifelong fan of his.

I sounded way more butthurt than I was. But I totally agree on the people wishing for awful things to befall society. It's just "le edgy contrarians looking for attention" faggot sperging out. I always appreciate people with go-bags/bug out bags. People who have no extra food or water (even a couple days and a 24 pack of bottled water) available in their house or car blow my mind. I know some people who literally shop for what they eat every day. To each his/her own I guess.

A couple months ago when Hurricane Hermine hit my city my power was out for about 4 days. I was totally unprepared, I didn't even have a flashlight, fortunately I had candles though. Also, we still had clean running water and undamaged infrastructure that allowed shipments to come into stores.

It was crazy seeing huge lines at the gas stations, dimly lit grocery stores and walmarts running on backup generators running out of ice, batteries, and other essential products. Also, it was creepy how dark it was at night. No streetlights or house lights, you couldn't see shit.

It made me realize I need to do some basic prepping so that I can last a couple weeks without power or functioning stores, and that I should buy a gun just in case. I was sleeping prettly light during those dark, dark nights with only a baseball bat to protect my girlfriend and I.

same with my friends
what the fuck? i've loved this movie since i was 13. I wish i got to live in a world like this

you're literally a fucking normie if you thought this movie was depressing
fucking bluepilled normie niggers be prepared or prepare to die when SHTF
>>>/reddit/'

even threads wasn't that bad except it triggered when they used nuke stock footage from nevada when we're supposed to pretend they're bombing the uk

I read the book before watching the film. That's shot will make you go on suicde watch..

Shut up. It will never happen. Nukes are a hoax bro. That's why you never have seen one happen.

If you like the monologues, read the book if you haven't yet. Not too long and some of the imagery is a lot more vivid.

Somehow I think The Road is more comfy than depressing to watch. It's not too graphic or anything and I guess that just has to do with being used to depressive thoughts on a daily basis and my liking for post-apocalyptic lore.

Good for you man, at least you're willing to change and take the appropriate measures. Definitely is eerie though. I just moved out west from the Southeast, so hurricanes aren't exactly a problem, but blizzards, whiteouts, ice-storms, etc. are a possibility (although rare). That's when you also have to worry about sub-zero temperatures on occasion. Either way, it's always good to at least have some basics. Also, a firearm is always a good thing to have. Make sure you know how to use and clean it and those long nights without power will feel a little less terrifying in case looters are around.

Just buy a few extra things every time you go grocery shopping and put them aside in a laundry basket or something. I'm big on discount sections since they tend to have canned things on sale or something. $3-5 extra per shopping trip and within a month or 2, you'll have a pretty solid foundation that will keep you going for a week or 2 if you find yourself in trouble. Basic first aid is also a huge advantage if you have some time to read up on it. A solid first aid kit and knowledge can save y'all a lotta grief.

this
never going to watch it ever again but yah amazing movie

Viggo Mortensen reminded me of Rickety Cricket too much to take him seriously

Then you're clearaly lying and are a newfag, since Sup Forums has discussed The Road a lot during this year, let alone previous 5.

>take those pants of, boy, my son should see at least one BBC in his short miserable life

Unreal how not even the apocalypse is sacred.

>Just saw this movie for the first time. Nothing else has made me more grateful for what I have.

I have three bullets too, user, feels good man.

This

>take them to the smokehouse

Most fucked up scene in that movie

She lost the will to live

the day we forget about the nukes is the day the nukeswill kill us

She was right

Wicket W. Warrick

>implying Sup Forums isn't
>star wars
>capeshit
>capeshit
>star wars
>capeshit
>Bane?

Sven get the fuck off Sup Forums

KYS. Threads is the ultimate cold war kino.

yeah I know, FUCK

He acted annoying at times, but it was accurate as fuck for how you'd expect a child to behave in that sort of scenario. 10/10.

You're forgetting the fact that Cormac McCarthy was a smart cunt who kept the world-ending disaster ambiguous, that way people reading/ watching the story would focus more on the characters instead. All we know is "it started as a series of low concussive blows" when he refers to the disaster.

Looks and feels like nuclear winter though, I'll give you that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We might have a lot fewer nukes in the world today if Sagan hadn't fucked up his mental math and claimed burning oil fields would cause a nuclear winter.

My mother wanted me to hook her up with so post apocalyptic fiction since I have have quite a few novels about the subject. Gave her The Death of Grass, Wrinkle in the Skin, Down to a Sunless Sea, Earth Abides and finally The Road. She never wanted to read post-apoc books after that, she said it was the most depressing thing she has ever read in her life and turned her off the genre entirely.

Thanks for reminding me of that skit.

poor guy, it must be awful to feel so alone and an unable to form meaningful relationships in this world.

Buck up kid, I'm sure there's drugs out there for ya.

I think of all the things in this story that gets me is when the boy sees a slight rainbow for the first time and all he can say, having known nothing his entire life but a decaying grey world, is

"look papa, colors."

fuck you McCarthy, FUCK YOU